Stone Dreams Pt I

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Stone Dreams Pt I

Postby Alric Lysane on March 16th, 2022, 6:31 pm

13th Spring 522 AV – T&T Apartments

It had been two days since he had jumped up from that couch he was now sat upon, startled and in pain, suddenly covered with cuts and a wet rag next to him to wipe himself down with. His shirt had been off too, and his first guess had been that someone had drugged him, had their way with him – a rarity indeed these days – and then left without leaving a trace of memory in his head. That had proven to be an optimistic assessment in terms of simplicity, instead seeing a letter in his won had, revealing the name of Tazrae and what the days had brought him. He had read it a dozen time, then the one she had left for him with the song, then his journals and the rest of his letters. He was left with no other conclusions to be made than the truth was in the parchment’s ink…but still he had all but fallen over with the shock.

Now, however, he was more clam and collected, ready to try to take the first true steps on hi pathway of Reimancy. Looking around the apartment he wondered whether there was a way to remember, to retrieve the jagged piece of broken memory and stick them back together again. He hadn’t thought about it, though he supposed by the letter’s content it had only been a few days or so, but the apartments were definitely not solely his. There were little touches, here and there, lie the way the kitchen was put together and the books on their shelf in order and properly stored. The snake, that had not been a shock as he did enjoy Twilight’s presence, but he had wondered when he had picked up such a creature when he hadn’t the foggiest idea about them.

But also, more than that, things more subtle. The scent, however faint, of a decidedly feminine person upon the sheets. Pieces of knotted rope he had no memory of, and random scraps of lyrics written in a hand that was more delicate and flowing than his own angular script. As he had trailed the apartments he had seen more things that told him there was a missing piece of him somewhere, and the more he probed the hole of memories within, the more there was this sense of sorrow but with no source that he could discern, as if deep down part of him were mourning and remembered…something. Shaking his head and pinching his brow he focused himself and brought himself back to the present, pushing himself up from the couch and heading to the second floor, his customary spot for practising his magic.

Casting his gaze about he wondered what was best to start with, he knew that Reimancy was not the same as other personal magics he had learned. It was as much an external force as internal and he had only his experience with Shielding to guide him in that balance, yet somehow he felt Reimancy would be different. He scratched his chin and raking his fingers back through his hair, foot tapping idly as he became lost in thought. There was no use trying to do too much too soon, he didn’t even know what kind of control he had with the new Res that was his own. Perhaps that was where he should star then? To see what control he did have, how far it reached and what he could do going forwards to improve it?

“I suppose you have to start somewhere,” he muttered to himself as he shook out his still pained hands and took a deep breath or two, “here goes nothing I guess”

He connected with his ‘well’ inside, something that was normal by now and thought it was routine there was still a slight pause of hesitation as he could sense the change – the waters in the mountain lake no longer water but a luminous silver pool, viscous and quietly moving of its own accord, rippling with a semi-sentience that took him aback for a few moments before he tentatively reached out and felt it all but try to flood him. He found himself fighting for control, trying to turn down the tap that was his link to it, feeling its desire to be used much more strongly than his other magics that used Djed, its force more primal and driven by something deep seated within.

It took several chimes of fighting it before he managed to get the link right and his mantel defences in place, though he could feel the Res pushing at them, probing and letting its intent be known – it wanted to be used. He took a deep breath and then let what little he had in mind flood him and it surged through him, tearing around and eventually coming to ooze out of his left palm, slowly and with difficulty, but still it came until there was a small pool of silvery Res there, shining in the light coming through the shutters.
Last edited by Alric Lysane on May 20th, 2022, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Thanks to Gossamer/Shiress for post Boxcodes ~
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Words: 1010203
Joined roleplay: October 29th, 2021, 5:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)

Stone Dreams Pt I

Postby Alric Lysane on March 16th, 2022, 8:06 pm

There was a thin smile upon his lips, less warm than usual due to the strain that he could feel maintaining what he was wanting to do. He felt that it shouldn’t be as difficult as it was proving, sweat already starting to bead upon his temples, but he was on his own and had nothing to tell him it should be otherwise. So, instead of lamenting as he could have done, he pressed onwards, gritting his teeth and setting his jaw as his right palm came around and up, scab cracking slightly and stinging with the movement of cupping it. He hissed and then opened the link to his Res once more, once more feeling the ripping through feeling as it surged and thrust itself forward, getting to his hand before he could control it, then when his control shackled around it the oozing began, another pool now in his right hand.

He was breathing slightly more deeply now, he could feel the Res want to tear through him like a tidal wave and it was something he sought to avoid, knowing how dangerous Overgiving could be. It took some time to center himself, using every trick he had learned with his resistance of the Flux. Reimancy was definitely different, though. The flux made him feel invincible, it was an insidious whisper that called to him, sang of glory and strength. Reimancy seemed to seek to better him down, to turn him into a conduit as he imagined Arcadius wished to do to him. If anything, mastering it would make him more mentally resistant to the monster, but for now he was using every scrap of concentration to maintain his walk upon that razor’s edge between control and oblivion.

“Right, two pools of…silvery…Res…what now Alric?” he muttered to himself, frowning at the two small pools rippling in his cupped hands.

The notes he had made from the book he could no longer reference had told him that he should be able to control the Res he had just extruded, and not in the way he controlled his Shielding. No, with Shielding it was like painting a picture, or shaping clay. The Res was supposed to be able to be thrown, directed, even curled around corners, at least when he had enough power and control to do so. He frowned and pursed his lips, wondering how to best test that description. There was no point throwing sloshing pools of Res, no matter how viscous, as it wouldn’t give the best feedback for whether he were doing things correctly. He focused and tried to get the Res to begin floating, forming balls that held themselves just above the palms of his hands.

It felt, for a few moments, like his brain was trying to be mushed through his ears. Once he got past that fact and became used to it the sensation faded, but it did feel still as if he were trying to lever something that was extraordinarily heavy with nothing but his mind. After a while, though, both of the pools of Res started to shift and ripple, the silvery shine seeming to pulse momentarily before it began to change shape, moving from the pools in his still gashed palms and into small orbs floating just above them, imperfect in shape but still manifesting his general intent. He breathed a half-dozen deep breaths, taking in air until he felt like he was closer to normality. The silvery orbs continued to float and then began to rotate, turning as if there were a force within them, small enough to cause the rotation but not strong enough to do any more.

“That’s it,” he breathed, conscious that there was sweat trickling down his back now and that his cuts were stinging from its passage across his forearms and shoulders, “now…what shall we do with you both?” he asked them, almost as if he expected them to answer him.

No answer was forthcoming, but an idea did spring to mind based upon his previous reflections. A true, full smile of strained satisfaction crossed his lips finally, lighting up his eyes as his curiosity converted into practise, the best kind of exploration.
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Stone Dreams Pt I

Postby Alric Lysane on March 26th, 2022, 9:22 am

He was having difficulty controlling two at once, it felt somewhat like parts of himself were outside of his body, accompanied with the sensation of leverage, as if he was trying to carry something on the end of a long stick, the weight twice as heavy for the distance, his will power the link and bending further as energy was expended and required replenishing. As such he decided upon only trying to move one at a time, the other gathered back up in his hand now that the principle of floatation had been shown to be possible.

“This feels much harder a time than I remember my mother having using this…damned lightning and everything” he muttered through grit teeth, sweat definitely beading his body all over now, as he focused his attention upon the singular orb now.

It rippled as it moved, almost moving as if water in a cup, sloshing around with the movement but contained within the shape the he was forcing it into. Every so often, as he cautiously edged it forwards and away from him, its shape changed and warped, becoming more oval that spherical and he had to pause, reshaping it into what he wished it to be, before edging It forwards another few inches or so. He wasn’t wanting to do anything particularly fantastic on his first, tentative tries with this particularly dangerous magic. Instead he wanted to establish just how much control he had over this new Res. As with Flux, smaller steps to push boundaries further out, he was applying the same kind of researching, probing techniques to learn.

As the silvery Res orb inched forwards, reshaped every so often, it reached a point where he could almost feel the weight of it increase tenfold. He paused, thinking it through for a few moments as it simply hung there suspended. He made a humming noise, frowning slightly as he considered what to do next. After a few chimes he threw the other silvery Res orb, the one he had saved, and watched as it flew true, straight and powerful, feeling his link grow heavier and harder…before it breached a sort of boundary about five inches beyond the suspended orb and he felt the link…snap back, perhaps, was the sensation. He frowned and then forced the other orb of Res that extra distance and watched as it collapsed soon after, both of them now simply silvery smears at different parts of the room.

“There,” he sighed to himself, panting slightly as raking his shaking fingers back through his damp hair, “area…of…control” he finished, blinking and sitting down in the chair, there to rest for a few moments, considering what the best next steps might be in his magical research.

Area of control was one thing, but it was perhaps only an arm and a half in distance around him, double that in diameter perhaps but either way he cut it in his mind it wasn’t much to work with if there was a fight, for example. He mused upon, and hoped, whether as one got stronger and more accomplished that it extended in size. Certainly, he thought that it would make sense given the legends, though legends were that for a reason, he conceded.
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Stone Dreams Pt I

Postby Alric Lysane on March 26th, 2022, 10:59 am

He blinked slowly, as he looked into the middle distance, musing upon magic and its foundations, feeling the tiredness now start to edge into him after its uses. He was somewhat surprised that it hadn’t done so already, but he supposed that despite it being a new magic he had used magic before. Perhaps endurance, of a basic kind, transferred from one magic to another – even if you were not overly versed in it. He didn’t know, though he felt sure his ancestors could probably have answered every question he might have upon the subject – likely getting annoyed with him at his rudimentary understanding at the same time too. He snorted and shook his head, not for the first time feeling like a child fumbling in the darkness.

“Well…I suppose it is fitting, if not desirable, that it is this way” he muttered to himself, scratching his chin thoughtfully before leaning forwards and knowing there was still a little more to do with this portion of fumbled research before he’d have to eat, rest and get ready for an evening of work.

So far he had established that he could control his Res up to a certain distance, it seemed logical to assume that that meant in all directions but he had no proof of that and wasn’t sure he’d be able to produce enough Res to test every single direction. That meant that he would have to be selective in the next couple of tries – for that was all he was willing to commit without knowing he was strong enough to attempt more. He cleared his mind as much as he could, still having that link to his Res but seeking the calmness he associated with magical practise. It took a while, which was mildly frustrating, but when he succeeded, he could almost feel the need of the Res bubbling around the edges of his serenity. He focused further and pulled upon the Res within, tugging at it and cajoling it.

As time passed and all that he managed to get into his palms was the barest trickle of silvery viscous light, his patience started to fray slightly. He swallowed and patiently trudged onwards through the motions, getting smaller and smaller returns. His frustration grew as he knew he was not that tired and still had much he could try, he hadn’t yet detected the signs of Overgiving – no headache or blurred vision, just the tiredness creeping in of having performed some of the day’s workings. After a while, his usual constructed calm wavered and he found himself almost taunting himself – how could he hope to protect himself, others perhaps even, from Arcadius? He couldn’t even get a cup of Res to form in his hands! Geomancers were associated with such things, the letter had told him, but he was clearly a poor protector if that was the case.

He eventually felt his serenity ripple and vanish, filled with mockery and felt the Res that bubbled flood into the gaps left. Defeated he threw up his hands in disgust…which served to create a small shower of Res, which arced up from his palms and fell to cover his face. Coughing and wiping it away is surprise he all but jumped out of his chair in startlement.

“What the…” he managed to ask himself once he had recovered and removed the taste of some kind of thick gel from his mouth, looking down at the silvery liquid that shone in droplets across the chair and parts of the floor, not to mention his clothing.

He had managed it without even thinking upon it, but how had that happened he wondered? Especially given he had spent uncounted chimes trying to force the issues before its unexpected occurrence.
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Stone Dreams Pt I

Postby Alric Lysane on March 26th, 2022, 12:10 pm

He took a few moments to reflect upon that fact as he watched the Res shimmer, some of it starting to lose some of its luminescence outside of his control. Already he knew that it degraded fairly quickly, perhaps because he was new to the magic, but he had wondered if there would be a way to store it for alter use, to maximise efficiency in a tight spot if required. For now, though, his lips moved without his noticing as he almost whispered his way through the new revelation. He had found it difficult to use the Res, had broken into sweats and felt like his brain was trying to be pushed out of his ears, when trying to drag it along…was the trick to just…let it do its thing?

No, that couldn’t be entirely true, otherwise he was simply a channel for something beyond himself and that wasn’t how Reimancy worked according to the notes he had made, in a time he couldn’t remember. Not for the first time did he wish that this mysterious Tazrae were there to help guide him through it all. She was not, however, so he set aside whether it was wise to practise without oversight and mused upon the problem. So…it had almost overflowed when he had let go of his absolute control…was that the trick? He needed a reason to use it that went beyond curiosity? Or was it the emotion itself that helped form a link that this seemingly desiring Res required to be triggered into action?

“I’ve spent so long trying to get a better handle on such things…though I can’t quite remember why…wouldn’t it just unravel everything if I…abandoned that? Or is it just for this magic that it is like that? How on Mizahar can I just…summon up some needed feeling?” he wondered, frowning at the Res once more, half of which had…died he supposed was the term…part of him just…gone.

Wait…part of me…it reacted when I stopped trying to see it as something separate…something alien to be tentatively explored…perhaps that is the trick… he mused to himself, deciding to test the thoughts he was having and extending his left hand out towards the largest pool of Res left that still shimmered.

“Come back to me…us…you know what I mean…part of me” he muttered the words, continuing them in similar iterations and watching with a growing sense of wonder as the droplets, one by one at first but then almost en masse as if a point of no return had been reached, seemed to be attracted back to his palm, almost flooding towards the end before a shapeless, iridescent collection hung in front of his hand in the air, with less effort than he remembered from the last attempt, but still causing him to sweat slightly, his palms definitely becoming clammy.

He spent the next little while doing the same for whatever parts were left scattered about that could still be influenced, until satisfied that the small collection that he had done was all that he was going to get. He thought about whether he could reabsorb it but doubted that was possible now, despite being part of himself, from himself, once changed and separated it tended to be a rule that it wasn’t reversible – just that it could continue into something else. Bringing his finger around he prodded its surface, watching it ripple and then almost begin to creep up his finger before he shook it off. He had done enough this time, he had established a few basic principles…and some which he would need to ponder upon further in the future.

He all but collapsed into the chair, letting the orb go and fall across the floor once more, there to finally degreed e and dissipate as the beginnings of a spike of an ache blossomed behind his eyes. He pinched his brow, hissing slightly and letting go of any semblance of magic, or its idea, for the rest of the day. In time, when the ache had faded to a throb, he would eat and drink as much as he could without throwing up – staving off some of the tiredness at least.

For now, though, he would spend some time feeling sorry for himself, the pain of the mild Overgiving turning his thoughts to the dark and maudlin.
Alric Lysane
Carry On My Wayward Son

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes