[Sultros Blades] Choices, Choices... (Bolivar, Kiizir)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Sultros Blades] Choices, Choices... (Bolivar, Kiizir)

Postby Dimitri on March 30th, 2011, 3:15 am

Spring 3, 511 AV

Dimitri walked through the third tier excited by his master's request. His master had asked him to purchase a new weapon toda and to begin familiarizing with it. He said not to pick a sword so as to to develop a broader range of skills and combat knowledge. Dimitri finally had an excuse to check out Sultros Blades, the Isurian run forge. He pondered on what types of weapons would work well with a shield.  Perhaps a double edged axe would be a good match. Or maybe a dagger for closer encounters. He even considered something more fanciful such as a spiked chain or flail.

As he neared his destination he was able to clearly hear the loud ringing of hammer on anvil. He approached the open doorway and crossed the threshold. He stepped into the dimly lit store, with it's many wares spread around a large open room. He walked the perimeter, examining the many cased items. He figured he could only afford standard steel for now, considering it was only a beginning weapon. There were few others here, mostly Isur's working, or various people handling deliveries. Dimitri stood and watched what others looked at to see if anything inspired him.
Last edited by Dimitri on April 1st, 2011, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dimitri
Squire

Words: 181534
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2011, 4:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

[Sultros Blades] Choices, Choices... (Bolivar, Kiivir)

Postby Bolivar on March 30th, 2011, 5:02 pm

"Oh so you set up shop and make the weapon around here?" Bolivar asked softly, genuinely interested by the one man shop. The place seemed up to standards, yet he felt that being a single man shop in a big city such as Syliras seemed a bit inefficient. The place was dark but he was able to still see pretty well and keep up a conversational tone despite the lack of light in the shop. He was used to darker places back in Sultros and was still able to see pretty well due to the Isur blood in his veins. Slowly he took a step back before he looked around the shop. It's industrious feel and use of minimal light soothed him, it reminded him of home. He ran his hand through the white marble as he grinned at the man behind it, the relative cold and withdrawn Isurs and himself had a relative sense of family being of the same origins.

He took his weapon and inspected it. It looked somewhat ceremonial but still very battle ready, the blade shining a bit before he compared them to the other weapons. When placed next to the other weapons the people of Syliras use it seemed a bit over the top. Hmm...I guess not being as hardy as the Isurians they focus more on speed and protection more then anything he thought as he put the sword back into it's harness. When he wasn't out in the field or practicing his usual skills Bolivar was usually checking out the areas of the city. Today seemed like a good place as the area seemed to accept Isurians. Hmm alright so far so good he thought, won't be long now until I can make use of this knowledge. All I need to know now is how these tools are used upon the field.

His eyes rested on a strapping individual staring blankly looking at the others work. Hmm he might be useful, doesn't look old enough to be one of those knights I keep hearing about but if he came to this kind of store he must have an idea how to wield a weapon. He kept a close watch at him slowly regaining his withdrawn demeanor, this seemed a good chance as any to learn from a normal native. "Hello there," he said nodding his head to him, "my name's Bolivar are you looking at these wares also?" he looked to see what he could possibly want. He looked at the wares under the glass near the counter and then looked at the workshop where piles of weapons were stocked up. "Hmm, what are you good with?"
Last edited by Bolivar on March 31st, 2011, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Got some Christmas plans. So going to be busy until around after the holidays.
Bolivar
Just go with it

Words: 299487
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2011, 2:06 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Plotnotes
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kiizir on March 31st, 2011, 5:20 am

Kiizir had been wondering aimlessly through Syliras. He had yet to find a permanent residence or a fitting job. So he spent most of his days familiarizing himself with the surrounding landscape. He had explored some of the Cobalt Mountains. Not finding anything of interest, he had came back to the city. It was full of people, of all mixes and sorts. It had a feel of equality to it. The city made him feel as if nearly any could fit in seamlessly here. Possibly even a Zith or to.

He had heard of a forge in the city. Spoken in awe and excitement, mostly about the Isurian craftsman. Kiizir decided he would pay the man a visit and see for himself if the weapons were worth the talk. So he spent his day locating the forge and working his way toward it.

He had found it, and first appearances spoke of nothing special. But despite his gut feeling, he decided to go through with his plan. Kiizir walked into the dimly lit room. A brief study showed an Isur working the forges, and to other men conversing with each other. Kiizr decided to ignore everyone and work his way toward a table displaying recent works of the Isur Slayer hanging at his side nearly bumped into the table. “Sorry..” He mumbled to the Isur who briefly looked up and nodded in his direction.
Skill List :
10- Blacksmithing(RB)
25- Weapon (Axe)
3 - Weapon (Warhammer)
5 - Armorer
2 - Hand to hand combat
10- Weaponsmithing
5 - Leadership
Kiizir
Player

Words: 6957
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2011, 9:09 pm
Race: Isur
Character sheet

Postby Dimitri on March 31st, 2011, 1:17 pm

Dimitri looked down at the short Isur, eyeing his special arm unique to the race. He doesn't seem like the rest of the Izur I've met. "I am Dimitri, a squire to Knight Brinkaas. It is a pleasure to meet you. And I am proficient with a sword and shield, but I am looking for another weapon to also match with my shield. Are you a crafter of this shop?" He looked around the shop and saw the man bump into the table. He will upset the Izur if he's not careful. "I just can't seem to come up with what will fit me well."

He knew the shop was Sultros Blades, but he had heard they make non bladed weapons. Maybe a club or hammer would be a good choice. Morningstars were popular among select knights. Or maybe a spiked hammer. Then he thought about maces. Strong, crushing, puncturing. Could damage armor with little fear of damaging the weapon. Heavy enough to damage, light enough to do many things with it. If only he could see one here.
Dimitri
Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Postby Bolivar on March 31st, 2011, 3:21 pm

He saw the tall man look down on him, eyeing his metallic arm. Hey my eyes are up here pal, he thought before he heard him speak his piece. "No you are mistaken good sir squire," he replied. Just as I thought the people really do have a focus on their defenses while trying to make up for it with mobility in their strikes. If I was fast enough with Legacy I can probably swing at them all day if they let me. He thought as he looked at his greatsword. Overcoming 5 feet of steel with 3 feet of it and a flatpiece of metal to guard with wasn't something he would try to do. Rather, it was his pride speaking at the time as he knew the set backs of a great sword rather well.

But I can probably help him find one and possibly help him test it out he thought looking at the man's stature. Sure they might be protected but they move slower, so how does one over come that? With reach of course! Bolivar motioned at an array of lances, spears and javelins. "Maybe this is what you are looking for?" he asked. The shorter variations wpu;d still let him move pretty efficientlyas long as he's fit enough. "I know knights have a reputation for lancing on their horses when they are skilled enough. Perhaps you should get started early?" he suggested. Hmm learning a how to fight against the lance/spear style would probably prove beneficiary to me as well he thought. His eyes turned to the man who bumped into the nearby table, it was an older Isur, surprisingly a bit shorter then the rest with a green arm. Oh a fellow Coglia clan member he thought perhaps he can suggest something?

"Milord, a moment of your time. Can you help this squire pick out his next weapon? He is looking for inspiration." He said waiting for the Isur's response, he checked his blade before looking back at the one named Dimitri. "Say after all of this care to do a spar session? I would like to grasp the basics of those who use the shield and weapon style. Both with your sword and your new weapon of course." he said in a low tone. He stretched his arms out beckoning the older Isur to them.
Last edited by Bolivar on April 1st, 2011, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kiizir on March 31st, 2011, 5:12 pm

Kiizir was busy studying the weapons produced by the master smith. Each piece was individual, none two identical. Being original was one attribute that made an Isur made weapon so valuable. If you bought one, you could guarantee another would never be the same. Kiizir himself had never grasped the skills for master smithing. He had always preferred to use the weapons rather than forge them.

Kiizir was intently studying a near perfect piece, a minor imperfection was evident. A small nick on the blades razor sharp edge. It was something most would over look. Tough Kiizir had always had a skill in noticing what most ignored. He barely heard the voice addressing him politely.

“Ohh, sorry.” He apologized as he turned toward the speakers direction. A fellow Isur, well his kinsmen must be popular in these parts. “A new weapon? “ Kiizir said softly. He began to walk in the direction of the other two men. He eyed the squire, looking over his size and stature. The man seemed sturdy enough.

Kiizir was close enough now that the room was beginning to feel small. “Well if you insist on using a shield during combat then I wouldn’t suggest anything other than a sword.” He paused, perhaps the young man was determined to expand his knowledge of weapons. “But I suppose…yes. I think a well crafted warhammer would suit nicely. If you have the strength in one arm to use it effectively. If not, then perhaps one of these would fit you. “He said as he looked over the table, it well enough made. A decently crafted mace would suit. Light enough to be quick, with enough weight to keep the crushing power there.

But Kiizir said suddenly. If you want to learn something completely different.” Kiizir smiled, still an awkward look for the battle beaten warrior. “You could try an axe. No, not just an axe. But a magnificent piece, made for the sole purpose of ending the lives of whoever comes into contact with it.” Kiizir hands moved toward his hip, where Slayer was resting in it’s strap. He lifted the giant weapon from its resting spot. He eyed the squire momentarily, and then he moved his arms Slayer included toward the man, “Give it a few swings. See if the killing power calls to you.”

Slayer :
Skill List :
10- Blacksmithing(RB)
25- Weapon (Axe)
3 - Weapon (Warhammer)
5 - Armorer
2 - Hand to hand combat
10- Weaponsmithing
5 - Leadership
Kiizir
Player

Character sheet

Postby Dimitri on March 31st, 2011, 5:55 pm

Dimitri took the axe gently feeling it's weight. In comparison to his sword it was heavy. But not just heavy, but also not balanced by weight. It was top heavy. He supposed that allowed for deeper wounds and better cleaving power. He stepped back from everyone, drew his shield in his left hand, and prepared to take practice swings. He started slowly, gently slicing through the air feeling what muscles it would strain. His lighter balanced sword used a lot of arm and chest muscles. As he swung down and at slants, he noticed it's pull was focused on arm, shoulder, and back. He liked the change in muscle usage and noticed cleaving would be especially useful against thicker armors and beasts with thick hides. He began swinging it at about half his force, feeling a slight strain on the non normal muscles used for combat. He enjoyed the heavier feel. "How much would this cost when made of steel? Also do you have any maces?"

He turned to the Isur, "I would enjoy sparring with you sir. My patron would like me to learn a wider range of weapon types. And I've never fought an Isur, I'm sure it is much different as is combat with all races. I appreciate the challenge sir."

OOCI believe the price of a steel axe similar to yours would be 12gm, since yours cost 60gm and isurian steel is 5x the cost of standard steel. Also a heavy mace is also 12gm
Dimitri
Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Postby Bolivar on March 31st, 2011, 9:12 pm

Bolivar watched as Dimitri practiced his swings. almost looking bored by the process. The the application and subtle differences in the weapons were already stated out for him. Yea, yea swords are good for slashing and stabs, axes for chopping and maiming people, and maces are used to bashing people's heads in and bruising them, he thought. When he finally finished swinging the axe around he finally noticed the subtle differences of the axe compared to the usual axes the smithy made. Wait that's Isurian steel. Did he really let the man just use a personal Isurian weapon like that? he thought as he look a quick glance at the Isurian.

He shook his head in disapproval at this before, he looked at Dimitri and nodded. "Certainly this Isur is not a smith here, but rather an enthusiast of sorts" he said taking back the weapon and thrusting it back into Isur's chest. I seriously doubt you should do that again he thought as he let go of the weapon before continuing. "In any case if you truely would like to spar with an Isurian this I shall gladly accept this chance to learn. However as the laws of this dictate if we are to fight at all it should be outside of the gates as I know that violence isn't really tolerated here. Unless you have another area where we can spar, I'll go on ahead while you settle things here" he said moving out of the shop. He would look at them for any other comments before heading off into the agreed place.
Last edited by Bolivar on March 31st, 2011, 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bold is Speech
Italics is Thought

Bolivar
Just go with it

Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kiizir on March 31st, 2011, 9:29 pm

Kiizir watched carefully as the man took a few swings with his axe. The squire could use lots of practice with the weapon, if he chose that sort. If not, then he must find a better skilled fighter than himself. He was only skilled in axe and warhammer, his style was brutal and effective. He rarely left a person he aced living once a battle was done.

Kiizir’s expression changed to irate once the other Isurian had thrusted his own weapon into his chest. Kiizir smoothly replaced it in it’s proper resting place. It was clear he made no friends here. If the man wanted to be rude, perhaps he would show him a thing or two.

“I will be glad to spar also.” He said gruffly, staring at the Isurians back as he headed toward he door. Maybe I ill teach someone manners, he thought silently. Just tell me when and where and I shall show. I have nothing better to do.” He finished and took a few steps toward the door. “Besides, if you really want to learn. How lucky can you get to have two Isurians, with different fighting styles volunteer to teach you.” He smiled politely as he caught up with the other man. “Excuse me” He said gruffly as Kiizir forced his way through the door.
Skill List :
10- Blacksmithing(RB)
25- Weapon (Axe)
3 - Weapon (Warhammer)
5 - Armorer
2 - Hand to hand combat
10- Weaponsmithing
5 - Leadership
Kiizir
Player

Character sheet

Postby Dimitri on March 31st, 2011, 11:52 pm

Dimitri beckoned a worker over, "I would like to order a double edged, one handed battleaxe, and a heavy mace. Both crafted from steel." The craftsman took some mental measurements. "10 gold mizas for the axe, 12 gold mizas for the mace, should take 10 bells, so return and pick them up at the 17th bell." Dimitri handed the man 22 gold mizas. He then turned to the now hostile Isurians.

He saw them leave, "Meet outside the gates at 30 chimes passed the 17th bell. My weapons will be done by then." He then left the shop and walked back to his dormitory to rest, satisfied by the purchase, waiting for the appropriate time.

OOCColumbina helped me with the prices, if there is an issue I will change it."
Dimitri
Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Next