Do you know where you are? [Ialari and Tazrae]

Ialari investigates the place known as the Dovecote and encounters a new..old friend.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies Xyna's Outpost, and her gift to Mizahar's people. It is a magical place full of potential and possibility where all can gather and exchange ideas and commerce.

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Tazrae on November 19th, 2022, 10:10 pm

Tazrae was still reeling from the priests’ revelations, much like she suspected Ialari was. What she couldn’t understand was Ialari’s generosity. Did the woman want something from her? Why reveal so much? Taz was from a world where people kept their secrets close, and Ialari had such large ones. Tazrae’s head swam, with both what the priest had said and what Ialari had revealed. When Ialari said the word ‘wow’ Tazrae had to smile. She reached out suddenly, laying an arm on Ialari’s special Izurden blessed limb.

She had to agree with Ialari. The whole thing was … unexpected.

“I… I want to thank you for all this, Ialari. I feel like without you, this would not have ever been possible. You’ve opened my eyes to so many things today, and now we seem to hold each other’s secrets in a way. I just want you to know that I will keep what I know of you close to my heart for your secrets are your own to share. I hope you would do the same for me. I think there is much we can learn from one another and I feel… drawn to you in a way that I cannot explain. It feels like this was the right thing to do… to come here today.” She said thoughtfully. “I won’t… ever forget this… seeing this. I appreciate your part in all of it.” Taz said finally, finishing off her thought. She gave Ialari’s dark limb a gentle squeeze – which of course did nothing to dent the flesh or wound the Isur – and released her.

“I don’t know where magecrafting things are specifically, but I do know where Isur mages are. And I expect they might have what you need?” Taz speculated, then turned her head as if trying to orientate herself to the location she knew of based on The Open Sky Market. Tazrae set off then, weaving between little sideways streets, cutting across parks, and swinging around facilities that catered to food and drink. “I actually have an apartment here. I met a man from Sunberth.” Taz started out.

“I was here shopping once… for some games and puzzles for the Protea. There was this man hanging out and he struck up a conversation with me. I asked him his thoughts on games and he offered to teach me some new ones. We started meeting here. I … felt very drawn to him. He had a lot of things in his past that were unusual. And our friendship grew. We eventually got an apartment together here… where we stayed and spent time. I inducted him into Reimancy. It’s a long long story, but regardless I’ve spent quite a lot of time here, mostly with Alric… long nights talking...” Taz said, looking around. “Though I don’t think I’ll ever view it the same way again.” She added, shaking her head. “That’s crazy. I don’t even know if I can sleep comfortably here after seeing it the way you see it. How did you do that anyhow? Is it something others can replicate?” She asked, reaching up to touch her forehead lightly where Ialari had painted the blood rune.

By then, Tazrae had woven them more into an Isur section of the Bazaar. She seemed to be searching booth after booth at a high speed, not pausing because she wasn’t seeing either what she wanted or what Ialari had described. Finally, after about forty chimes of searching she half stopped in front of a gadgeteer’s booth that sold small to mid-sized gadgets that made life easier. An Isur with the same-colored arm as Ialari was operating the booth. “Hang on a second, Ialari. I want to see if this man has what I want.” She said, glancing at the woman. Then she paused, looked Ialari over, and got a slow smile on her face. “You are Isur… can you ask him FOR me? I am chasing down a rumor that there is an Isur that makes ice cream makers around here somewhere. It’s a sort of wooden barrel with a metal tub in it with a crank handle on it. Can you go over and inquire for me? He might give you a fairer price for one… though I’m willing to pay whatever for it.” She said, grinning like a small calculating child about to see if candy was forthcoming.

She hoped Ialari would agree… and as she was waiting for the Isur to decide to agree or deny her favor, she spotted the booth across from the Gadgeteer. It was filled with odd pedestals, an array of hammers, and a whole bunch of things that looked… magical in nature. If Ialari went over to talk to the gadgeteer for her, she’d slip over and talk to the man behind the booth. He seemed to be half-Isur and studied her intently as she looked over his wares. “Magecraft items right?” She asked carefully, lifting an eyebrow and scanning over the items.

The man stepped forward, offered Tazrae his hand, and said… “I’m Stephan Everlast.” He said as Tazrae gave him a shake. “You interested in some Magecrafted items?” He said, curiously. Taz shook her head. “No… actually I’m not. I’m interested in some Magecrafting tools. My friend over there, Ialari, is looking for some as well. I’ve tried to talk her into dickering with that gadgeteer for me. They look to be from the same clan.” She explained, getting to know the booth owner while Ialari was hopefully softening up the vendor across the way for her. “Does he have good items? We’re from Syka, which is practically tropical, and I’m trying to score an ice cream maker for the Settlement.” She said, giving him a grin. “I figured she might get a better price from him. He’ll take one look at this small human woman and decide I’m desperate and overprice it.” She added, smiling.

“Ialari is a true mage, but Syka has a hard time getting supplies and has no suppliers for Isur and their forging habits. So, we are hoping you can help us out.” She said, smiling at him. “And I actually might want a full set of starter magecrafting items myself. I haven’t told Ialari yet, but I’d like to start trying to learn. Do you have any hints?” She asked, getting the man to not show his stuff until the Isur joined them from her dickering across the aisle.

Stephan smiled. “My suggestion is to have a good teacher or someone who can help you learn along with supplying your components. The most expensive part of magecrafting is finding and buying components. I don’t know much about Syka, but unless you can get ahold of rare items, gems of great value, scarce metals, that sort of thing… it will be difficult to learn magecrafting.” Tazrae nodded to his words, taking them to heart.

“You don’t know of any teachers do you?” She asked.

Stephan shook his head. “I don’t. I just supply the tools. I found there was something of a market for them.” He added, causing Tazrae to grin. “If you need everything, you better have deep pockets. I can sell you a whole set of everything you need from about six hundred gold mizas to a thousand or twelve hundred gold mizas.” He added, making Tazrae look thoughtful. “Or I have parts and pieces. It just depends on what you need.” He added, smiling and gesturing at his wares.

Tazrae nodded and waited for Ialari to join her… to see if she was successful in buying an ice cream maker or not. Once she had joined Stephan, Taz would carefully repeat what Stephan had said and turn to ask her. “So what exactly did you need?” She asked, glancing over the supplies. Hopefully, Ialari was successful with her negotiations with the gadgeteer and Stephan had what they wanted. She was, in fact, hopeful that they’d sit down after their purchases and perhaps talk a little bit more. Taz had something to tell Ialari about something she had that Ialari might be interested in.

Words: 1351
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Postby Ialari Pythone on November 21st, 2022, 5:52 am

TIalari looked at Tazrae as the girl touched her arm. She listened as Tazrae spoke thoughtfully of the secrets they just shared with one another. When she reached for Ialari’s metallic hand, she could feel the cool, smooth metal surface. It’s shape and contour was femininely delicate although there was no give as there would be with flesh. Ialari offered Tazrae a smile.

Her words carefully constructed, her accent inescapably thick, Ialari said, “You ask me to keep your secrets. That I will do. As for my own that you know, I thank you for your promise. My secrets, I do not regret sharing them with you. Dominion...I was chosen by Izurdin, with the support of others, to receive it. A condition for receiving that gift was to share the knowledge with those who I deemed capable of understanding it. Though you may not wish to learn the magic itself, the knowledge of it and the teachings it brings can be useful...especially considering the path you’ve chosen for yourself.”

Ialari paused for a brief moment and added, “As for my...spiritual condition, indeed I feel you can help me. You have a unique connection to Syka...and to Pavena. It is a connection I can feel but can’t myself yet access. I will likely never know that connection as you do. I do know that there are pieces of my soul buried in Pavena. I would like your help in finding them. I know the whole thing is difficult to understand; I myself struggle with it. Yet...I would like to share more about it with you later.”

Before Tazrae released her hand, Ialari leaned in and offered a light kiss on Tazrae’s forehead; a kiss of friendship and of connection.

As Tazrae led Ialari through the weaving and winding streets that made up the Open Sky Market, Ialari said, “Magecraft, you may recognize such items as looking similar to those used in a blacksmith’s forge or even among the tools used by a jeweler. Hammers, tongs, unique looking pedestals and other oddities.”

At the mention of isur present in the Outpost, Ialari felt a slight chill run through her body. She’d encountered so few of her own kind in the years since she left Sultros. The further she traveled from her home, the fewer isur she found. As she thought about it, it didn’t seem to surprising that isur would be in the Outpost. There were so many people from all cultures and races that it was only right that the isur would be among them.

Tazrae then revealed that she had a home in the Outpost. She listened as her friend told the story of how she met a man in the Outpost; of the time they spent together, the sharing of magic. She told Ialari it was a long story but it was a story Ialari wanted to eventually hear more of.

“I find long stories to contain pieces of wisdom that can only be gained through retelling and revisiting. I would be happy to hear more later if you wish to share.” Ialari kept glancing around, her eyes drawn to the various offerings from all over the world.

When Tazrae brought up the glyph that Ialari had granted her, Ialari furrowed her brow momentarily.

“I apologize if I’ve taken some of the wonder away from this place for you, that was not my intent. That glyph...it is one of many used in the creation of a Dominion. It links the Domineer’s sight to the Dominion; allows them to see the infinite patterns of djed that make up the Ukalas. While I know now that it was Xyna who guided my hand, the gods can’t make you do things you aren’t already able to do. I’ve never drawn the glyph upon a living being before. The theory is sound though. I don’t know if it could be...repli...recreated by others. Possible maybe…” Ialari considered the possibilities before realization hit her.

“There is a form of magic known as glyphing. The most basic forms involve drawing glyphs upon one’s body. These glyphs can be activated through basic movements and intent which in turn releases the magic stored within them. I never thought I could create one charged with magic like Dominion. With Xyna’s guidance though...maybe that is what was needed for me to realize it. Now that I think about it, of course you could recreate such a thing. I have some knowledge of glyphing and would be happy to teach you what I know. Maybe I can even learn more myself as we teach each other what is possible?”

Ialari continued to follow Tazrae’s rapid pace as the girl searched through the seemingly endless number of booths filled with all manner of unique oddities. After some time, she stopped in front of a booth that seemed to finally find her interest. Ialari looked confused for a moment when Tazrae pulled her to the side and shared her plan. Ialari glanced over Taz’s shoulder to see the isur operating the booth. He was a member of her own clan, Pitrius. His sleek, metallic black arm with its raised silver veins clearly indicated his heritage. Filling his booth were all manner of strange objects, toys, time-keepers and things Ialari couldn’t identify. Some of them were in some state of motion; a toy monkey clanging brass disks against each other, a time-keeping device with a brass face sporting two small “hands” that slowly moved to point toward isurian numbers marked in a circle with the hands in the center.

Ialari listened to Tazrae’s plan. The girl’s intent was clear and Ialari didn’t mind trying to help; it made sense. Ialari nodded and approached the other isur.

As she walked up to shop owner, the other isur saw Ialari and a wide grin spread across his face. His eyes briefly glanced at the two marks from Izurdin on Ialari’s metallic arm; indicating her increased favor with the god. “Well, met, sister. I don’t believe I’ve seen your face before, you’re new to the Outpost?” The man said in the isurian tongue.

Ialari returned the man’s smile and responded in their native language. “Indeed, this is my first visit to this amazing place. It is pleasing to see another of our kind here. I have been away from the Kingdom for quite some time. You are a welcome sight.” She reached toward him with her metallic arm. In response, the man did the same and they gripped each other’s forearm; a traditional isurian greeting.

“My name is Ialari Pythone.” She offered her introduction.

“Pythone? While I don’t believe we’ve met before, the name is familiar. I am Eivan Springwinder.” The man offered a slight bow of his head.

Ialari recognized the name. “Springwinder? From what I recall, your family is quite skilled in creating a variety of wondrous contraptions. I see you continue that fine tradition.

Eivan’s smile widened. “Indeed, with the coming of the Dovecote and the discovery of the Outpost, we have been able to spread our creations across the world. Of course dealing with others not like us has been something of a...of a learning experience, the challenges have brought so many successes.”

“I’m pleased to hear that prosperity is finding its way to our people. Eivar, I’m curious, I’ve heard rumors of an isur who has managed to create something rather amazing. It’s a wooden barrel of sorts with a metal tub that sits inside. There is a crank handle on it as well. I heard that it is capable of making iced cream with ease. Would you happen to know of such a thing?” Ialari glanced around the booth but with so many strange things on display, she was too distracted to be able to focus on looking for the item Tazrae wanted.

Something of a sly look crossed Eivar’s face. “Ialari Pythone, you are in luck. The very thing you are looking for is one of my own creations. It just so happens I have one right here.” Eivar turned to some shelving on the backside of the booth. When he turned back around, he had a wooden barrel in his hands. Sitting it on a nearby table, he presented the item to Ialari. He proceeded to demonstrate its movements and describe its function.

While it wasn’t something Ialari was particularly interested in, the gadget was still rather remarkable and she wanted to help Tazrae. As such she offered genuine interest in the item.

When it came down to engaging in an actual deal to purchase it, Ialari asked, “I am definitely interested. What would one have to pay in order to acquire such a fantastic example of craftsmanship and imagination?”

Eivar rubbed his chin and said, “Well, normally I would ask 40 gold mizas from a typical customer.” He then glanced again at the marks on Ialari’s shoulder before continuing. “That is for the typical customer. For you though, Miss Pythone, seeing as how you are not a typical customer and in honor of this being your first time here, I would be happy to accept 30 gold mizas.”

Ialari was not much of a haggler when it came to business dealings. She knew how others of her clan often operated and the asking price was still likely high. Despite this, the cost seemed rather reasonable so she agreed. She pulled the coins from her pouch and offered them to Eivar. Eivar in turn placed the ice cream gadget into a small crate and handed it to Ialari.

“A pleasure to meet and do business with you, Eivar Springwinder. I look forward to doing business again soon.” She offered a bow which Eivar returned. She then turned to look for Tazrae; hoping the girl hadn’t gone too far since Ialari had no idea where she was going.

As she turned, Ialari saw Tazrae speaking with another isur a short distance across from the gadgeteer’s booth. She approached and offered the small crate to her friend.

“Eivar is the man’s name and he was more than happy to sell me the thing you were looking for...and at a discount. Although I imagine that it wasn’t exactly a discount but, well, some of my clan are rather...tricky I believe is the word you would use. Even so, it seemed like a fair price. The cost...it’s on me.” Ialari smiled before hearing what Tazrae had to say about the offerings of the magesmith.

When Tazrae asked Ialari what she was in need of, Ialari looked upon the offerings of the booth.

“Tazrae, you found a jewel for certain.” The isur then introduced herself to the merchant before proceeding to examine the various items that were for sale. She noted some rather well made mirrors and lenses as well as a suitable optical ring. As she looked upon the wares, she pointed out to Stephan the items she was interested in including a charge basin. Being skilled in magecraft, she recognized the various items and their quality. The most important item of them all was the pedestal. That was the key to magecraft and she took her time when trying to find the right one.

As she continued her search, something caught her eye. One of the pedestals, on the neck that connected the upper and lower pieces, was a symbol carved into the stone surface. It was the symbol of a snake eating its own tail. It was a symbol that Ialari had recently saw in the visions granted during her communions with the divine.

Kneeling before the pedestal, she ran her metallic fingers over the symbol. Looking up, she asked Stephan in their native tongue; as sign of respect, “This symbol...what does it mean? Why is was it placed on this pedestal?”

Stephan leaned in to look at what Ialari was talking about and said, “That? That is the symbol of fate. It represents the balance between life and death; the struggle between creation and ending. Magecraft, as you are likely aware, involves a careful balance in the manipulation of djed in order to alter the djed of a particular item. That symbol, it embodies that balance.”

Ialari immediately stood up and said, “I’ll take it.”

“I’ll give you 850 mizas for everything if you find that acceptable. I already have my own set of hammers and tongs. As for reagents and catalysts, I have a number of them as well but if you have some to sell or can connect me with others who may have some, I would be happy to express my gratitude in coin.” Ialari couldn’t deny the connection between the symbol on the pedestal and her own visions. It felt like yet another sign that she was meant to persue.

Stephan smiled and agreed to the offer which Ialari happily retrieved from her pouch in the form of coin and gem. She was anything but financially rich however she lived simply and had amassed a respectable bit of savings which she was happy to spend on such things.

“This is obviously quite a bit to carry. Can you arrange for them to be delivered to the Syka dovecote so that we may transport them home?” Ialari asked while still appearing slightly shaken after seeing the symbol.

Stephan nodded. “I will have someone waiting for you there when you are ready to leave.”

Ialari offered her thanks and took Stephan’s hand in the traditional way of sealing a deal.

As she and Tazrae stepped away from the booth, Ialari said, “Tazrae, I know our meeting has introduced no small amount of...strange? Weird? You humans have so many words for such...oddity. Yet I feel, more than ever, that we were meant to find each other. We were meant to be here and to learn what we have. I can see things, feel things that I lack the context to fully understand. I do know that we are connected. I wish to continue that connection and show you all of...all of my secrets. Secrets...they hold power over us and by revealing them, we take that power into our own hands. For you, my...my sister, fellow bearer of a seed from the First Tree, fellow witch of Caiyha and seeker of things greater than ourselves, I offer whatever I can give to you. You are right, we have much to teach each other. But first, I am curious as to what is so special about this...this iced cream you want so much.” Ialari, for the first time in more than a decade, felt a strong connection to another living being. She’d forgotten what such a thing felt like. So much time spent among the undead and ghosts followed by years of isolation within the Ukalas, it had changed her. Now, it was as if she was rediscovering what it was to be alive. It was a feeling that most mortals would take for granted. For Ialari, it was like being reborn into a life she’d always dreamed of.

Words: 2498
Remade In My Dominion!

Character Sheet

Granted Flashback Threads between 510 and 512 by Tarot.
Ialari Pythone
I'm Poison.

Words: 923994
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2009, 3:26 am
Race: Isur
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Mizahar Grader (1) Trailblazer (2)
Overlored (1) Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tazrae on November 22nd, 2022, 2:29 am

The Innkeeper smiled at Ialari’s words. “There is beauty in knowing things. I love to understand what I am seeing, even if it is something I myself cannot perform. It’s a comfort and a relief to have things that seem so large made smaller by explanations that keep them grounded. I can see why Izurdin chose you. You’ve lived an extraordinary life and you are only starting out on what feels like this enormous journey. I am thankful to know you and experience a little of what you see. And I hope I can give you the same gift in return. And too, I hope that I can help you in ways we may not understand yet. It’s often the way of the Gods, I’ve found, to throw people together because this or that segment of a pathway needs some help.” She said thoughtfully.

“I will help you in any way I can. I’m not sure what you mean by the connection you speak of between myself and Pavena. But I am not afraid to dig deeper in what remains of the old city and help you find what you need if that’s what it takes.” Tazrae added, more than willing to see things through with Ialari. She didn’t understand all of what Ialari was going through, but then again she had a feeling Ialari barely understood it herself. But if she could help a friend, she would.

Ialari’s kiss made Tazrae smile. She felt… a kinship here, a sisterhood… that she hadn’t experienced before.

But she wasn’t sure she’d share more of the story of herself and Alric. Ialari should probably form her own opinion of the man from her experiences with him. It was only fair because Tazrae’s view was skewed and fraught with a bit of a broken heart. She’d spare Ialari that, but speak of good things if she wanted to know ultimately.

“You’ve not stolen any wonder of this place away. You’ve heaped… more onto it than I ever suspected it contained, truth be told. And I have a story for you about these places, what happened, in the year 519. I suspect you were out of the world, tucked into your Dominion, or off doing something else that you missed their arrival. But I thought I’d hold that until we had a quieter more relaxed place to talk than in the middle of the market.” Taz said, sidestepping suddenly to let a little crowd of youth pass by. She offered Ialari a smile as if to say “uninterrupted” as she gave the pack of youth a pointed look then glanced around to gather her bearings and find what they were looking for.

“Glyphing. It makes sense. I know of it, but I haven’t taken the time to really study it.” Taz added, nodding to Ialari’s words.

The Innkeeper had more to say – questions to answer for Ialari – but she wanted more privacy and someplace quiet they could sit down and talk…. perhaps over a meal. And by that time anyhow, they’d come to the place Taz had been thinking of, with the gadgeteer on one side and the magecrafting goods on the other. It suited both their needs, nicely, and Taz only felt a twinge of guilt sending Ialari into the gadgeteer’s place to negotiate for her ice cream maker.

Taz watched Ialari work and it was a beautiful thing. Races differed so vastly in their cultures, but Ialari just waded in with the gadgeteer and started up a conversation that turned into a beautiful negotiation. Taz stayed out of the way, but just out of the way enough to overhear the dickering in Isur…. not understanding a word of it beyond the man’s name. She found the language guttural, earthy, almost like the earth moving against itself in a small musical cascade. The Innkeeper loved her bardic hearing, she only wished it translated better for her.

Eivan was a brilliant name for a gadgeteer and Taz stood grinning as the man showed off his wares and let Ialari dicker with him over his ice cream maker, which indeed he did seem to have. The item was lovely and seemed to gleam in the afternoon light. Taz wanted it badly, not being able to wait to try it out and see how rich and delicious of mixtures she could come up with for The Protea. When Ialari returned with it, Tazrae took the item gingerly from her and gave Ialari the widest grin possible. “This is going to be brilliant…. absolutely delicious. You should get to sample my first decent ice cream out of it after I figure out how to use it.” She added, laughing lightly, and hugging the thing to her chest. It was decidedly awkward, as big as her torso, but easily handled with its bail for a handle. The Isur had cleverly counterbalanced it so that the cranking mechanism hanging off one side didn’t make the item awkward to carry.

She struck up a conversation with the magecrafting vendor across the way before Ialari was done. Tazrae thanked her profusely, excited beyond belief to have her ice cream maker and her master plan for a future party forming up in her mind. “Thank you, Ialari. I really do appreciate this.” She said, hugging the thing to her with a wide grin across her face. “And thank you for making it a gift. I have something for you too… once we find that café we’ve been talking about.” Taz replied, then turned her attention to the craftsman selling the odd assortment of items needed for magecrafting.

While Ialari was questioning Stephan about the ouroboros – a symbol Tazrae actually recognized from her recent readings – she slipped in and out of Stephan’s wares, running her hands across lenses and basins, looking at sets of hammers and finally coming across a matched set of items all on its own. The price was steep… 1150 GM, but the little sign by the items said that the pedestal and its matching accouterments were made up of Corundum, which was sapphire and ruby. The pieces were the oddest combination of blues and reds all mixed together and even included a set of hammers as well. The sign also went on to say that the stone was the most durable available just coming short of diamond and that it had no dominant cleavage and fractures in a conchoidal manner. Taz decided she’d have to ask Shade about what that actually meant, though the polished pieces were show stoppers and truly beautiful. They were accented with copper and bronze metals, which Taz took as a sign since she loved those colors best of all.

Gesturing to the matched set…. Taz said… “I’ll take these as well. Can they be delivered with Ialari’s things to the Dovecote where we can pick them up via wagon from Syka?” She asked, walking back to join the visiting pair of Isur. She pulled off her backpack and began reaching inside, counting out the coin necessary to cover the cost. Then she added in a decent tip for the seller so he wouldn’t soon forget them if they had other business for him. It seemed highly improbable that 1200 gm came straight out of her backpack, but it indeed held that much. Taz shouldered the thing again, and hefted her ice cream maker which Stephan gently put a hand on. “Here, leave that… with your order. And we’ll have it delivered ….” He took a moment and wrote down a time far later in the afternoon. Taz nodded, pocketed the slip of parchment he gave her, and nodded. “That will give us time to go for an Ashta cart. I don’t think the Ixam can handle this move.” Taz added, glancing at Ialari.

“Thank you for your assistance, Stephan. If anyone asks, we’ll be sure to point people in your direction for needs like this.” She added. She had no components, but Taz planned to see what she could scrounge from Pavena in that regard. What good was it being a ranger if one couldn’t pick at the carcass of a dead and decaying city to see what could be reclaimed?

The pair walked away from the vendor, both pleased with their purchases. As Ialari spoke, Taz nodded, listening. She couldn’t help but feel the same way about the Isur. In fact, she almost felt like Ialari was the one person she might be able to have really deep conversations with and not worry about judgment to the extent she would have to with humans.

But at Ialari’s question, Taz had to grin. “It’s sort of a secret all on its own. I have a terrible sweet tooth for cold sugary things. I miss winter for that and that alone. But with Reimancy, we can make enough ice – mix it with salt – and form this almost alchemical reaction with cream, sugar, and flavors such as butter, vanilla bean, and even strawberries… its sorcery on a level you’ve never experienced. We can make sorbets, ice milks, and just about anything that is sinful and delicious on that device. You have no idea what you’ve given me access to…. I’m a very good cook, Ialari. And with that sort of…. gadgetry, I can work miracles… absolute culinary miracles. You’ll see!” She said, a broad smile filling her face.

Then she paused, seemed to look around, and changed directions heading on a course that meant she was on the scent of something Ialari requested – a place for them to sit down and chat – while partaking in a meal. Taz might be a good cook, but she loved it when others prepared food for her, especially if it was of good quality food on par with her own cooking. The Courtyard Cantina decidedly was. Excited and hungry, Taz ducked through a curved archway, still leading Ialari, and stepped into a large courtyard that had silk banners stretched over it as a roof to provide shade to the patrons who dined beneath. There were tables everywhere, providing seating for anywhere from two to six people with a large bar running along one wall. The smell of roasting meat, steamed vegetables, desserts, and fine wines filled the space.

Taz found a table out of the way with a good view of the courtyard itself. She picked one in the shade and smiled. “This is the Courtyard Cantina and they have a lot of fish and pork, but do wonderful citrus-based sauces. They have every fruit under the sun, much of which they get from Syka I might add. When the waitress came by, Taz waited for Ialari to select a drink, but went ahead and ordered an assortment of Kebabs in meats not readily available in Syka – beef, goat, lamb – and a Platter of the Day that had all kinds of fruit, vegetables, and snacks upon it. The platters had flatbreads for dipping and could be shared with a large group easily enough. Today Taz was given a choice, and glancing at Ialari, she went with one that had fried plantains, little slider sandwiches, and tiny one or two-bite fish tacos on them scattered among the vegetables and sweets added in.

It was a great selection of foods, and Taz wondered yet again if she could borrow some inspiration and make platters like it for The Protea.

When the order was taken, wine was poured, and everything was quieter… Taz smiled at Ialari.

“It happened rather quickly; you know. I would even say within the blink of an eye.” She started out, her voice dropping a few octaves and gaining in richness as she switched to her storyteller's voice. “All over the world, in all the major cities, Dovecotes just magically appeared. No one knew what to think. It was the Winter of 519, just three years ago, and people were afraid to approach the new structures. Someone finally did though… and learned they were gateways to the Outpost. There are rules, you see… you can only go to the Outpost via the dovecotes. You can only exit the Outpost from the same Dovecote you entered from. And almost overnight, commerce and trade came screaming into existence here. Businesses moved in. An official enforcement group was started. Stalls were rented out in the Open Sky Bazaar. Homes were sold. Apartments rented out. It was like all in one deep breath, the world expanded, then contracted because, with The Outpost here, things have become really really small.” Taz said, shaking her head.

“We can meet people that live all over the world. An orange can be picked in Syka in the morning, and consumed in Ravok later that evening.” Taz whispered, shaking her head. “And now knowing exactly what it is, my mind is even more blown. If we have this… this small little place that makes such a big impact, what in the world did we have before the Valterrian tore it all apart?” She asked, quietly shaking her head.

“That’s where my true passion lies, Ialari. I want to know about the past, what was lost, and what we can regain. I’ve been curating a collection of knowledge and cultivating friendships with some of the off-world creatures around Syka in the vicinity of the world gate. I told you about a few of them… but I want to call myself an Archaeological Mage… an Arcaeomage. I want to rediscover what was lost, and bring off-world magics back into play…. Cautiously of course.” She added, eyes aglow with the prospects. “That’s why I’d be more than willing to help you look for your… soul pieces? I just need to know what to look for… what they would potentially be like? Because I’ll be places, go places… look places… anyhow. I can’t seem to stop myself.” She said with a smile.

Then she reached behind her to where she’d left her backpack on the seat beside her, opened its top, and pulled out a very defiant journal. It was a thick tomb made of human skin that had a huge maw where its spine should be. Actual eyes peered out of the cover, staring first at Ialari and then at Tazrae, before it hissed. “No… the answer is no, you frizzy-haired barely evolved ape.” The cover said, hissing at Tazrae, then turning its gaze to study Ialari.

“It’s a Silas Journal. He was a crazy mage that liked to collect compendiums and then stuff them in sentient journals that may or may not teach you or reveal what those journals contain. This one… I’m afraid… is the only known Silas Journal on Magecrafting. I’ve caught glimpses. He’s let me look, browse, and even gone so far as touch… but it takes some getting used to him and him warming up to you. This book is full of recipes, formulas, and the reagents needed to make the reactions happen.” Taz added, pushing it gently – and gingerly avoiding the toothy spine – towards Ialari.

“Make friends with it, and it will reveal what it knows. I was hoping you’d teach me a little beginning magecrafting in exchange for full access to this journal. You’ll have to win its cooperation, of course, but it should be easy enough to come to some agreement. After all, you both are curators of obscure knowledge.” Taz added, gesturing to the book. “It might even know something about your condition. If it doesn’t, I might be able to introduce you to those that might have some insight as well. The Mulgon comes to mind. Zethas, as he is named, knows a great deal about magic and sees very clearly where people like us have a hard time.” She added, shaking her head.

“There are no strings to that introduction. I’ll get you two together because I think it will be good for both of you. He needs to socialize more. You need maybe some answers he might have. But the book… the price of its use is just a few basic lessons.” Taz said, grinning at Ialari. “I may not want to learn about how to craft those Dominions, but I certainly am interested in Magecrafting.” She said with a grin, gently sliding wineglasses to the side as trays of food were brought out. Taz helped herself, hungry, waiting to see how Ialari reacted.

Words: 2727
"A mark of an open mind is being more committed to your curiosity than your conviction.
The goal of learning is not to shield old views against new facts, but to revise old views with new facts.
Ideas are possibilities to explore, not certainties to defend."

Garden Beach Syka The Protea Inn

"Listen to the wind, it talks. Listen to the silence, it speaks. Listen to your heart, it knows."
Tazrae
Be savage, not average.

Words: 1916653
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2020, 2:02 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Mizahar Grader (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Syka Seasonal Challenge (1)

Previous