Closed A roll of the sand [Askalynn]

Mortiz and Askalynn meet among the beach...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

A roll of the sand [Askalynn]

Postby Moritz Craven on July 10th, 2022, 8:38 pm

12 Summer 522


"Come on Moritz, just another mile!" Seraya yelled from her spot running on the beach a dozen or so feet in front of him. However that short distance behind her was hard earned, and the Kelvic was huffing and puffing as he ran bare footed on the sands. The Verusk woman was in much better shape than Moritz even with all of the training he had been doing, the sweat on his neck running down to the collar of the button up suit he wore as his only article of clothing.

"I'm... Coming... Just... Wait..."

Huffing along Moritz focused on his stride, how his legs moved and how hit feet touched and impacted the ground. He then mentally tried to compare it to Seraya's loping stride. He was improving, but he still had work to do to get to her level.

He kept on running, trying to fight off the stitch forming in his side, to properly calm his breathing and pull in the air he needed to keep going. And most of all to watch his stride. Maybe if he turned his foot this way... Or landed it this way... He made small even minute changes over time, trying to test and see what was better, or what differed from his own technique to hers.

Finally what seemed like ages later Seraya came to a stop in a bit of the beach off from the commons but before one reached the docks. The Verusk woman grinned back at Moritz as the Kelvic flopped onto the sand, rolling onto his back and panting. "Maybe in another hundred years or so you'll be able to keep up with me. At least at this rate."

Focusing on the charm on his wrist Moritz focused on the waterskin he had placed into the space of the messenger bag charm, and watched as it appeared there. He had taken to carrying a few tools in there in case he needed it, and when he was running one of those was a waterskin. Taking a few swigs he offered it to the woman as he tried to catch his breathe, but she shook her head. Was a shrug Moritz felt around with the waterskin for the charm on his bracelet, and placed it back inside. He kept lying there for a chime or two while he caught his breath, but it was not long after he felt he was getting close to normal but not quite recovered that Seraya yelled for him again. "Alright, that's enough lying about. How about that spar we planned. Come on, lets see what you have got."

With a slight groan Moritz got back up. Tensing his body he rolled over, ending up on his hands and knees. And then with a pop he got up, reaching his feet and standing upright with another motion.

Facing off against the Verusk woman, he knew his fighting technique was still behind either of the Verusk woman he sparred with regularly, but he still felt he was improving. Certain faster than a speed of needing one hundred years to catch up.

Holding up his arms with one by his head and the other at his side Moritz spread out his legs like so to give him a stable base. Then he bent, his arms, knees, flexed his neck, testing each area of his body for its ability to move one by one. Seraya seemed to be doing a few moves as well, but not as many as she eyed the Kelvic. And then all at once she moved, coming at Moritz. She led with a left leg, coming in to sweep his feet.

Moritz however hopped back, getting out of range barely. Seraya for her part pressed this, not simply letting him get away. Then she pressed at him again, this time with a flurry of blows. He dodged the first blow aimed at his right arm, moving out of its way. He tried to do likewise with the next blow, but a punch ended up catching him in the left shoulder and making him stumble backward.

By then though he had recovered a bit, and so he charged in at her with a punch aimed at her guts. Seraya responded by turning and stepping back, then as he moved by grabbing his side and wrist. With an odd turn she pulled him further along the direction he had been charging, which sent him tumbling head over heels in that direction.

Using his training in tumbling he tried to blunt the impact, not simply landing on his rear but rolling as he hit the ground and tumbling over a few times before finally coming to a stop. "Come on Moritz, is that all you've got?"

WC: 792
User avatar
Moritz Craven
Player
 
Posts: 650
Words: 895601
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)

A roll of the sand [Askalynn]

Postby Askalynn on July 16th, 2022, 12:30 am

Askalynn watched the two go at it from a far. She was just on the way back after a walk, so she stood in place and looked on as the two went about their day. It was an interesting thing, seeing two of them chasing one another was amusing to her. She couldn't help but wonder what was going on in their heads as they went about this public display. She saw Moritz, and it was hard not to, he stood out due to his pink-and-purple hair, it wasn't something Askalynn was exactly familiar with. It was uncommon, to say the least. She watched on, but also approached — curiously enough — to investigate the happenings between the two. The duo seemed unbothered, however. They were going about their own day, and Askalynn wondered for a moment. Was it really her place to be inquisitive about it? Maybe she'd be interrupting whatever care-free exercise they were having.

Yet, the duo moved with a modicum of grace that Askalynn wanted to know more about. Curious as this young Kelvic was, she started approaching. Then, she saw Moritz flop onto the ground — and the woman stood adjacent. This would, in any other case, be a very alarming occurrence — seeing someone just fold over into the sand. However, this wasn't just a regular day, nor was it something that Askalynn had perceived as hostile. At least, she operated under that impression. Surely nobody of sound mind would be doing something bad like so, out in the public and in plain view of others.

Despite the stalled approach — she still eventually made it to the two just as they had started with their actual sparring. She drew a line in the sand with her bare foot before sitting down onto the ground cross-legged in proximity of the sparring duo. The light breeze nipped against her face, with the wind picking up ever so often, blowing the silky strands of black behind her ears. Her brown eyes darted from one participant to the other, seemingly unbothered by the blistering sun above. The summer heat was something that she had still been adapting to, hence her being moderately sweaty even this early on, without a whole lot of physical activity.

Just as she sat down and let herself get embedded into the sand on this hot summer day, she watched Moritz get sent tumbling into the sand, along with the woman teasing him. She observed the interaction between the two and couldn't help but wonder about just who they were.

"Hey! Hey!" Askalynn called out, bringing her left hand up to give a wave to the two. A friendly, energetic wave — all done while seated. She shifted in place a little, getting more comfortable on the smooth, soft sands.

"Hey! Hi! Hello." she paused for a moment, now knowing full well that she had caught their attention. Her eyes, however, couldn't distance themselves from Moritz's hair — she had many questions about that. After all, it made him stand out and she knew none alike, so to say that such an appearance was a surprise would be an understatement. And even that was selling it short, in a way.

Deciding it'd be perhaps rude to introduce herself while seated, Askalynn stood back up, taking a few steps — crossing the very line in the sand that she had made earlier. "I'm Askalynn. I'm-um. I'm... I'm new here, hello! Are you guys okay? I spent the last few chimes kinda-sorta-somewhat looking at you guys! And I saw you running, and, and now fighting! It looks interesting, are you two okay?" she asked, mainly referencing Moritz. She looked at him and spared him a look — while it wasn't one of worry, it was one of curiosity unsated. She felt like she both needed and wanted to know more. Who could blame her, after all? It was all new to her.

She canted her head to the side, looking at Seraya — giving her form a quick scan. Seraya was also much of a puzzle to Askalynn, so there was a lot to learn and a lot to piece together. "Uh... um! Actually! Actually. Can I try?"

She inquired and gestured to Moritz, then to Seraya. Then back to Moritz. "Like, the thing! I wanna try to learn how to fight, you were practicing and not fighting for real, right? Right, you aren't hurt, for sure? I wanna learn! I like learning — learning is fun and nice. I like fun and nice, I do! I really do." she re-iterated, as if that wasn't clear the first time. A goofy grin was plastered all over her face. In her mind, or so she thought, this was a good opportunity for bonding, sort of. It was a little more than swinging at one another, as long as there was a decent conversation accompanying such activities.


809 Words
User avatar
Askalynn
Player
 
Posts: 19
Words: 22899
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2022, 1:19 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A roll of the sand [Askalynn]

Postby Moritz Craven on July 16th, 2022, 11:21 pm

While Moritz was vaguely aware of a person nearby - who was not outright trying to hide - his main focus was on his training partner. It was not until she drew close and was in danger of getting involved or between them that he really paid much direct attention to her. He did not overly care about people staring, so until she said something he did his best to ignore her and focus on the spar while vaguely keeping an awareness of where she was so as to avoid running into her.

As he worked to right himself he noticed the nearby person suddenly approach and begin speaking. For a moment he thought he was a bit addled from the fall, but soon enough he realized the person just spoke common oddly. Repeating, switching words, darting about in her speech.

Looking over he did not recognize her at all, which either meant he had not run into her before, he had forgotten her, or she was a newer resident of Syka. Or perhaps some combination of those.

After her eigth or so greeting Moritz raised a single hand and simply said "hello" as he finished righting himself. The Verusk woman for her part seemed to have paused in their spar to find out what the interruption was about, looking over at her and looking her over critically.

Confused Moritz looked over at the woman as well and examined her critically, unsure what she meant.

"Are we... Okay... Uh... Yes..."

It was such an odd question to Moritz mind that he was not really sure how to take it. Had she never seen someone work our or train and spar before? He felt it was pretty clear what they were doing, but she seemed concerned or was acting as such by her question... Which just left Moritz feeling odd and wrong footed. Was she asking then a question she knew the answer to just as a reason to get involved?

Seraya seemed to be of a same mind, realizing quickly that this person was either interuppting or had no knowledge of fighting to recognize a spar, either way it meant she was likely not worth bothering with. With a sigh and a wave of the hand the Verusk woman turned and began moving away. "Uh, she looks green. You deal with her Moritz. Maybe once she's budded a bit she'll be worth tossing around the sand. At least you can take a punch, I should know I've punched you enough times. Let me know how punchable she is, and how good at punching she is, alright? Right."

A smile as she spoke Seraya suddenly increased speed, sprinting away down the sandy beach. Her words were both a request and a demand, but one Moritz did not even really consider denying. He had no reason to do so, and with all the time she had spent helping Mortiz train the least he could do was deal with this. Moritz assumed she would return at some point, possibly in making another lap, but he was unsure how long that would be.

With the Verusk woman running off Moritz turned to the only person left, eying her with his odd Okomo Iraso eyes. He did not apologize for Seraya, and he did not think she would have expected him to or really felt she had done anything rude. Which he understood, this woman had just barged in on their sparring after all.

"Uh... Right. I'm Moritz, by the way. What was your name?"

For a moment Moritz tried to recall if the woman had already introduced herself, but he could not recall if she had. But then she had spoken so fast and so incoherently as she jumped about verbally perhaps he had just missed it. Focusing for a moment as he looked at her he activated his combat presence sense upon her. As he did he felt her combat presence and his own, which was... Low. her presence was quite low, lower in fact than many of the children he had seen about Syka. Had she ever actually fought before?

"Also, the thing as you called it, that was a spar. But honestly if you have never fought before, its probably not the best place to start. Especially with her, she's not big on pulling punches. Have you fought before? It doesn't seem it. I can show you some basics if you want, give you a starter lesson, but I'd not start with a spar. That would be like trying to build for the first time, and just handing them a pile of bricks and saying work it out. Bad idea. Though if I'm going to teach you then you will need to listen and calm down a bit. Rushing isn't going to help."

WC: 802
User avatar
Moritz Craven
Player
 
Posts: 650
Words: 895601
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests