PM to join Little Boy Broken

Daltonfinds himself in Shiress's care once again

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Syka is a new settlement of primarily humans on the east coast of Falyndar opposite of Riverfall on The Suvan Sea. [Syka Codex]

Moderator: Gossamer

Little Boy Broken

Postby Shiress on September 1st, 2022, 2:42 am

placeholder
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Little Boy Broken

Postby Shiress on December 1st, 2022, 7:46 pm

"His name is Dalton," Shiress asked Kami, confused, "Why would he tell me his name is Noah?"

Kami shrugged, glancing down at the boy as her hand smoothed damp hair off his forehead, "I think it's a security measure for kids brought up as he's been. To some, knowing someone's true name can mean control," she explained, voice soft.

Shiress had met the healer, Kami, after she had stopped by The Panacea, looking to find someone to hand over the boy's care after Shiress's hands had gotten burned at The Forge after Dalton's first fall from a tree. Kami had been the first person she had run into at the clinic and she had explained Noah's situation in detail to the healer, explaining the boy's accident and resulting broken leg.

At the time, Shiress had tried to explain her plan on stabilizing the break with the iron rods that Antelokes had constructed for her and was pleased to see the slight look of what may have been admiration that crossed the other female's face, but when Shiress lifted her bandaged hands and asked if someone else could treat the young man, Kami had been quick to point out the etiquette that Kami shared with her Akalak colleague; you finish what you have started, and went on to explain that Noah...well, Dalton, had already formed a bond of trust with Shiress when he had first been brought to her. Shiress had promised the boy would be okay, vowed to stop the pain, and Dalton had believed Shiress. Had trusted her. Switching caregivers would set the boy back.

Shiress eventually saw the healer's reasoning and agreed to continue her care, remembering Antelokes' words and his trust in Shiress's abilities, too. However, Kami had agreed to assist Shiress and would look after Dalton until her return. After going to the Outpost to seek out her own healing touch for her burned hands, Shiress had returned to a comfortable and sleeping Dalton and to a room fully prepped for the surgery that would potentially save the boy's leg.

The surgery had been long and tedious, but Shiress, along with the healer's help, managed to save Dalton's leg. Unfortunately, the subsequent break had left the bone in the boy's leg weakened, and Dalton had rebroken it when he tried, unsuccessfully, to jump from the roof of a wagon, despite the distance not being that high.

Uta had returned her herb book, and it was lying beside the table. Shiress had asked the young woman to update the collection of herbs and their uses in the book to include those from Syka. Pulling the book from the table, Shiress read through the new list, looking for concoctions that might be safe to use on such a small body.

"Thank you, Kami," Shiress said, looking over the supplies around the sleeping boy, "I can't tell you how much I appreciate your willingness to help me again."

Kami inclined her head, "Absolutely," she replied, then smiled, "just consider me your exceptionally skilled nurse, if just for a day," she nodded toward Dalton, "I took the liberty and called on Rak'Keli to cleanse the boy's body to lower his chances of infection."

Shiress sighed, relieved, and placed a gentle hand on the other woman's shoulder, giving it a grateful squeeze. "Okay then. I'm just hoping that the bone is intact and the rod has worked itself loose." she said, replacing the book and drawing in a fortifying breath, "Let's do this."

Shiress went to Dalton's side, placing a hand on his sweat-dampened forehead, then frowned, "he's feverish." she said, looking thoughtful, "from shock, I'm thinking."

On the other side of the table, Kami nodded her agreement, catching Shiress's eyes, "And the risk mounts the longer you wait."

Word Count - 661
Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars

Character sheet
Shiress
Every path has a few puddles

Words: 918381
Joined roleplay: January 25th, 2013, 7:01 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (2) Mizahar Grader (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)