Double the Efficiency (Seliam)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Fois on April 3rd, 2011, 9:39 pm

15th of Spring, 511 AV

Fois pushed away his bowl across the table. It was a nice breakfast, or at least good enough to start the day. He grabbed an apple from the table and stood up. Endal was tossing the fruit up and down in his right hand on his way from the Communal Kitchens back to his aerie. As he threw the apple up Seleer’s voice echoed in his head: ”Are you done yet? You are taking forever. You are required to hunt, not to eat in here.” Fois caught the apple on its way down. ”True. But I need to eat to hunt.” He flung his food up again. ”I would agree with that only if I saw the significant improvement in your skills after you take your precious time to have a meal.” The apple once again found its way back to the Endal’s hand. ”You never saw me hunt hungry,” Fois took a bite of the red fruit while talking to Seleer. Sweet juice seeped through his teeth as they were sinking deeper into the apple. ”I’m on my way back now anyway. No need to panic.”

Fois made his way to his residence that he shared with his Wind Eagle. ”I’m back,” he announced. ”I’m not, Seleer responded. Indeed he wasn’t. Fois walked around the aerie that was empty. Endal put the apple into his mouth and held it with his teeth while putting on his Katinu. He grabbed the quiver full of hunting arrows that he collected yesterday and slung it over his shoulder. Then he took his longbow that was resting against the wall and strolled to the edge of the aerie. Fois finished eating the apple just when the chilly air of the outside reached his face. He stopped walking once he couldn’t go any further without falling to his death and looked around. ”So where are you?” Fois asked the eagle while throwing the core of the apple into the distance. He was following it fly with his eyes, but suddenly the view was obstructed by a giant eagle emerging right in front of him. Taken by surprise Fois quickly stepped back, but then mind recognized that situation was not dangerous at all and he slowly moved to the side making Seleer some room to land. But the eagle rose higher still, making a circle in the air, and only then turned around and came back to the aerie. ”You really need to work on your aim. There was no way you could’ve hit me like that.” Seleer perched on the edge. ”True,” Fois nodded. ”That’s a shame.” The Wind Eagle shook his feathers on the neck. ”Well, are you ready? I don’t wear this saddle for fashion, you know.” Fois smiled and walked towards Seleer. ”I think it looks great on you. Really brings out your eyes.” Seleer shook his head again. ”Amusing, Fois. Only the sight on Endal falling down from high above could top that joke.”
Fois
Player

Words: 126560
Joined roleplay: February 18th, 2011, 10:25 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seliam on April 3rd, 2011, 11:01 pm

Not too far away, Seleer's desire came within a hairsbreadth of becoming reality.

"Shhiiiggmpph..."

<You're too tight! Cramping up! Relax. Flow into it.>

Seliam offered up a sigh that turned to mist -- which then drove back into his face as Kalith strove for altitude. His heart was pounding and his palms sweaty on the leather tack... but he was still in the saddle. Which was more than he would have expected thirty seconds ago.

It had been his idea to do a bit of hard-maneuvers training before he could fill up his stomach and thus throw it all back up. He'd been confident of his ability to stay with Kalith through whatever she could bank, roll and climb. Now, he was left with an appreciation for her power -- and a shake in his hands that wouldn't go away.

<Your mind is getting in the way of your body,> Kalith continued to advise him as she brought them back around in a wide arc in the direction of the eyries. <You know how to stay with me; it's part of the bond. But it's not like book-learning. You need to feel it.>

<All I feel at the moment is a vague desire to vomit. Oh... and an appreciation for how easy you've been flying for me.> Seliam shifted his stance to something more comfortable, leaning in more closely against Kalith's feathered neck. He offered no more thoughts, but he knew she could pick up on the underlying fear -- that he was a burden for her, more than a partner.

A soft call -- Kalith's equivalent of a hearty laugh -- echoed through his thoughts, banishing the momentary darkness. <Oh, stop angsting. Seliam, you're doing fine, truly. At least you admit to shortcomings, at least to me and yourself. All you have to ... hm. Interesting.>

The change in her mental tone drew Seliam's attention. His head lifted a bit -- then he had to blink away momentary tears from the stream of air. Gah, he'd forgotten how strong it was where it passed over her crest. <What is it?>

<Another Endal, launching with his bondmate. I know the cousin's pattern, but have not spoken with him at length.>

He squinted ahead. Their course had carried them nearly all the way back to the Eyries, but he could still barely pick out the individual caves. Kalith's eyes, of course, were beyond doubt. <Another early hunter?> he wondered between them.

<So it seems.> Another lazy beat of Kalith's wings, before she dropped her left wingtip and eased into a circling pattern. <Perhaps he would be amenable to company. Looks to be carrying only his rider, too, so it is unlikely they have others to drop.>

Seliam swallowed. He never felt his most comfortable when others -- superiors or equals -- were watching over his shoulder... judging him. There was a reason he and Kalith often chose the far routes, when they could take such a choice. Still, though, he had to admit that the thought of accompanying out another Endal... watching technique, learning, perhaps picking up some useful knowledge... it was a pleasant one.

And if he had any rivals to watch, they were likely below as opposed to abreast.

<Linger here,> Seliam suggested. <See if they approach us first. But perhaps a bit of company would be welcome.>
Seliam
Whitewings

Words: 10009
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2011, 4:25 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fois on April 5th, 2011, 4:20 pm

Fois finished strapping his bow to the side of the saddle. He fastened it tightly so that it wouldn’t fall out during the flight, but loose enough so that he could take it out quickly should it be needed without a significant risk to fall down. At least as insignificant as the risk of doing such stunts can be at his level. Fois took the reins with his left hand and with a swift turning motion wrapped them around it, then put the hand on Seleer’s neck while placing his right one about two feet further down eagle’s back at the same time. Endal stood on tiptoe and tried to put his right knee on Wind Eagle’s wing, but the distance was still a bit too big, so he employed a small jump landing a bit harder than he expected. ”Try hitting harder next time,” Seleer complained. ”Well, you should’ve lowered yourself properly, then,” Fois replied while hoisting himself into the saddle. ”Yes, Your Majesty!” Fois settled into the saddle comfortably and now took the reins into both hands. ”I’m ready.”

Seleer spread his wings, jumped forward and started to fall. The sudden movement caused Fois to tense up his and tighten the grip on the reins. He held his breath while fighting the feeling that he will soon fall down. With a single lazy yet powerful flap of his big wings Seleer brought himself up and straightened up. ”I thought you were kidding about dropping me down,” now it was Fois's turn to complain. ”I tried, but I failed,” Seleer replied nonchalantly. ”Funny,” clearly Endal didn’t think it was. Fois relaxed and loosened the hold of the reins. The Wind Eagle flapped his wings a couple more times gaining speed and rising to higher altitude. Endal closed his eyes letting himself fully feel the wind caress his face and blow his hair. Seleer turned to the left and started drawing a circle. Fois opened the eyes to look around. His eyes caught a sight of a light Wind Eagle circling further and higher away from them. ”Shall we go greet them?” Seleer changed the direction of his circles. ”Looking for a partner?” Endal’s body spasmed when Seleer beat his wings suddenly to change direction again, this time towards the bright Wind Eagle. ”Not necessarily. We’ll see what are they up to, Fois replied composing himself and getting comfortable in the saddle again. ”Well, there is logic to be found in your thinking. One hunter is better than none.” This time Fois did not reply.

Endal took a firmer grasp of the reins getting a better control of the Wind Eagle. Of course, it helped that they both knew and agreed of the direction to fly. Quickly they reached the same height as the other Endal and his Wind Eagle. Fois slowly pulled back his right hand and Seleer turned right and started circling outside the loop of the other eagle, just in the different direction. Fois looked at the other Endal. He knew him the way he knew any other Endal, but not more. Fois couldn’t remember any particularly significant event or hunt together. ”Seliam, right?” he shouted. Fois knew that was the name, but added ‘right’ just in case. ”Up for a hunt together, or are you busy with something here?”
Fois
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Seliam on April 6th, 2011, 1:40 am

<Eheh.>

<What?>

<Nothing for dim-eyes. Let me just say, though, that you are so -very- lucky to have such a soft and caring partner. When you have to scrabble on my back it's generally your fault and not mine!> Seliam could all but hear Kalith's mental chirble, the equivalent of a chortle or snort. <But ... yes, indeed. That pair I spotted are moving to intercept.>

As Kalith lazily rolled into another sweeping turn in their circle, the eagle and rider she'd spied came into view for Seliam. It took him a moment of squinting to make them out. A previously-bonded bird, known for being a bit caustic, though his name escaped Seliam for the moment. The rider, though... Faust? Fren? No... F-something... Fois. There we go. Seliam knew almost nothing about the older male, except that he was usually in the top half of the food-credit reckoning.

At Fois' shouted question, Seliam's stomach grumbled a bit. Thank Zulav for the rush of wind and sky to obscure it from the others, but he sensed Kalith's snicker-equivalent again.

<Going to keep them waiting while you stuff your face?> she needled him.

Seliam shook his head with a trace of a grin. <Hah. And miss out on the opportunity to be criticised at length by one of your blessed kin? Hardly. Will you bring us alongside?>

Kalith tucked her wing and came around so that she was -- at least for a moment -- flying side-by-side with Seleer, about a full wingspan apart. Seliam raised his voice a bit. "Was just about to head out, yes! We would appreciate the company... had a report from another hunter yesterday of a distant find. It'd be a long flight, but I doubt either of you would mind?"

He just couldn't resist that hint of a question at the end, a subtle dare. Endals rarely had much in the way of formal competition -- they were all on top together -- but vying for the top of the boards kept them all sharp.

Seliam just hoped he'd be up to the challenge of keeping up with the older hunter...
Seliam
Whitewings

Words: 10009
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2011, 4:25 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fois on April 10th, 2011, 6:28 pm

The Wind Eagles managed to fly a full circle in opposite directions each, while Fois was waiting for the answer. Then the other eagle, Kalith, if his memory served him right, changed her track so that they would all fly alongside. Fois remembered that Wind Eagle not because of the appearances or character, of which he hardly knew anything, but simply because bonding between a Wind Eagle and a rider of opposing genders was uncommon. This didn’t bother him too much, though, because in his book, as long as one manages to bond with a Wind Eagle and become a truly useful member of the community, they were worthy of his respect.

It was hard to make out the genuine intentions of statements and questions while talking in the air because of the raised voices. Despite this, something in Fois’s eyes glinted at the trace of somewhat challenging tone he perceived in the fellow Endal’s question. His lips formed into a delighted and confident smile, but he responded rather neutrally. ”Nope, a long flight is no problem to us,” Fois shouted back to Seliam. ”Easy for you to say, you’re not the one doing the flying,” Seleer grumbled, though he didn’t sound serious. ”Not a problem at all,” Endal added loudly. ”Just say which way it is.”

Seleer turned to the left side and gave a few strong beats with his wings, breaking out of the circle and rising higher at the same time. Again, Fois had to brace himself during the manoeuvres out of slight fear of falling of the eagle. He only relaxed when Seleer straightened up. The Endal had no problems with flying the Wind Eagle at a fast pace, but it was the twists and turns that really tested his nerves. He knew he wasn’t experienced enough for complicated aerial tricks and he took every such stunt as a challenge to his life, but Seleer still pushed him hard to get used to this kind of aerobatics. ”It’s the best way to learn. At least the only one I know,” the Wind Eagle would say. And in a way Fois agreed with him. It just didn’t make it any easier.

”Well, let’s turn around and go,” the Endal told his Wind Eagle. Seleer made a big turn through his left to face Seliam and Kalith, who were further away and lower. The eagle flapped his wings and then made a sudden slight dive until they were in approximately same attitude as the other pair and speeded towards them. ”Damn you, Seleer,” a quick thought passed Endal’s mind while he clung to the reins. By the time they reached the other Endal and his Wind Eagle, which took just a few brief moments, Fois seemed already comfortable in the saddle again. ”Alright then, let’s go!” He quickly shouted at Seliam as Seleer was flying past them at a rather high speed.
Fois
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Mercury on May 13th, 2011, 1:35 am

Fois

Skill(s)
  • Riding: Wind Eagle + 5 XP
  • Socialization + 1 XP

Lore(s)
  • Breakfast is the Most Important Meal of the Day
  • The Early Bird Catches the Worm
  • Two Heads are Better than One
  • Tough Love Learning
  • Areal Maneuvers (Basic)

Method to my Madness: I'm sad this ended before any hunting could be done; Seliam was a good writer. Enjoy your riding skill points, you earned them.

Seliam

Skill(s)
  • Riding: Wind Eagle + 2 XP

Lore(s)
  • The Feel of Learning
  • The Early Bird Catches the Worm
  • Hunger Pangs
  • Friendly Competition

Method to my Madness: I do hope you come back.

You can address any questions or concerns to the little voice in your head. A.K.A. PM me.
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Mercury
Poisoning you to insanity, one word at a time

Words: 93204
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2011, 4:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook