Hunting a Dead Bear(Fois)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Ronin on May 3rd, 2011, 3:29 am

Ronin remained mostly silent for the duration of the Endal's explanation about his relationship with his Wind Eagle. A unusually profound sense of envy overwhelmed Ronin as he pondered what it would be like to have such a bird. He often considered his falcons over the years to be his friends, but he had never had any sort of real communication with them. Yes, he spoke to them and they occasionally responded in strangely human ways, but he knew that it wasn't real. Falcons were beautiful creatures, but it was apparent that they didn't have the same emotions as people, even if they did have the same bad tempers. 'A Brother', Ronin liked the sound of that. The way Fois described it made Ronin feel as if that was what he had always been missing. For this Endal, his Wind Eagle was a source of inspiration and friendship. This was something that, to Ronin, would mean more than all the money and privileges of being an Endal.

The fact that the Endal had posed a question to Ronin took him by surprise. Most Endals he had met seemed perfectly content to hear themselves speak. However, Fois did not seem like a usual Endal. Maybe it was just because Ronin had gotten to know him better than any other, but there still seemed to be something unique about him. Ronin choose his words carefully, not out of respect for the class of Endal, but out of respect for the man himself.

"Hearing you speak about them, sir, I become very envious of you. I have always known that Wind Eagles are beautiful birds, but your apparent companionship with your mount is astounding." Ronin seemed a little sad yet hopeful in his demeanor. "To have such a relationship with a Wind Eagle is my greatest aspiration."

Despite the fact that Ronin had just moments ago realized the extent of the relationship between Endal and Wind Eagle, it had in an instant become what he wanted most. This wasn't a large leap since he had always loved birds and that kind of companionship was what he had been seeking his entire life, but it was an entirely new direction for these feelings. Ronin was going to have a lot to think about when they got back to Wind Reach.

When Ronin had finished speaking, the conversation went dead for a while, and he sat silently until Seeler arrived. Despite his hope for a ride back to Wind Reach, Ronin never would have asked. The offer alone was a bit of a surprise to him. However, he was enormously grateful. After getting on, he spent the rest of the trip in silence except to respond to anything Fois asked.
Ronin
The Pansy who talks like a Dandy

Words: 117946
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2011, 3:20 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Fois on May 6th, 2011, 11:13 pm

Thunder Bay was the first destination Seleer was taking them, for they had to drop off the kill for processing. Fois didn’t have to give any directions, because the Wind Eagle knew the whole hunting drill just as well as the Endal, so he just focused on keeping himself firmly in the saddle. It was not an easy task to make it look smooth, and Fois couldn’t tell whether he was being very successful at that, but he knew that floundering on the back of the eagle in front of the Chiet would have been slightly embarrassing. On brighter side, Endal was certain that Ronin, who wouldn’t have had many chances to ride a Wind Eagle, if any at all, could not do any better. Only hope was that this bear killer would not fall off. Would be a shame – seemed to be a useful member of the community.

As they came close to Thunder Bay, Seleer took a dive that was more sudden than required for the situation, causing Fois to clutch the reigns tightly. The drop wasn’t as rapid as some that the Endal had been already used to, but seemed as if Seleer hadn’t taken into account the inexperienced Chiet riding along. Or maybe, in fact, had taken into account… The Wind Eagle didn’t seem too happy about letting Ronin ride along. Fois was a bit surprised when the bird surrendered to his persuasion attempt so easily. What Endal had told his Wind Eagle, were the genuine reasons why he thought they should take Ronin with them, however, Fois wasn’t certain those were reasons enough for Seleer to agree. He wondered whether it was just a nice gesture to Fois or the extent of Seleer’s perception of duty to the community, but couldn’t really tell what was on the eagle’s mind.

One of the Chiets responsible for food processing at Thunder Bay saw the Wind Eagle approaching and came out to meet them. Seleer dropped the bear nearby from not very high. ”Oh, another one?” It was the same Chiet that received Fois’ kill earlier today. ”And a bear this time!”

”Chiet’s,” said Fois nonchalantly and nodded his head back slightly at Ronin. ”Yesterday’s kill, if that’s important.” There wasn’t anything more to say, and incidentally no time to say anything, since Seleer beat his wings and they were high above again. ”Noble,” Seleer remarked, and Fois could detect a slender mockery. ”Trivial,” he responded.

During the whole flight, Fois didn’t speak to Ronin. Partly because he still regretted opening up to the Chiet so unexpectedly, partly because he didn’t really have anything to say to the Chiet, but mostly because he didn’t want to be having an ordinary conversation with a Chiet in front of Seleer.

Without any more difficult or impulsive manoeuvres, the Wind Eagle flew them to the Sanikas Gates. The whole trip was incredibly shorter than it would have taken them on foot, especially in those conditions. Seleer descended to the ground and with several quick flaps of his wings made the landing rather gentle. Fois turned his head a little. ”Alright, get off,” he told Ronin rather bluntly. ”Go see a healer before you bleed out,” he said when the Chiet got on the ground and added: ”Chiets like you need to survive; become someone… useful…” Those were probably not the most precise words to express what Fois meant exactly, but in his head it made sense. Immediately after Endal was finished, Seleer took him to the sky again, rising up to the Mt. Skyinarta, back to the aerie.

”How very inspiring,” Seleer teased. ”Almost as if you cared.” Fois just shrugged. ”Almost.”
Fois
Player

Words: 126560
Joined roleplay: February 18th, 2011, 10:25 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ronin on May 10th, 2011, 2:20 am

This was Ronin's first time on the back of a Wind Eagle, and it was a very unique experience for him. He did his best to not fall off or something, but he looked like a fool. Ronin was clenched onto the saddle as tight as he could manage, hoping that Fois wouldn't look back and see how tense he was. Sure, riding an eagle was a wonderful and fun experience, but soaring through the air with no way to ensure you don't make a life ending fall made it a very serious matter. Still, despite fearing for his life, Ronin tried his best to enjoy the ride. After all, this was a very rare privilege for a Chiet, and he didn't want to seem in the least ungrateful. For the most part, he was doing fine. That is, until Seeler decided to try to eject him with a sudden dive. Ronin slid forward into Fois' back until he could collect himself enough to push himself back into the saddle fully. It was now that Ronin got an inkling that the giant bird might not like him, and from then on he did his best to say as little as possible.

This silence, coupled with the silence of Fois, maybe for a completely speechless trip. It seemed a little awkward to Ronin, but he was unable to get enough of a read off of the Endal to understand any reason behind his silence. The trip back to Wind Reach was a more enjoyable one, as Ronin was beginning to loosen up a bit and adjust to flying. It was still scary to him, but at least he hoped Seeler was done trying to kill him. However, despite beginning to enjoy the flight, Ronin was relieved when they were finally back home where he could get some medical attention and maybe even some sleep.

At Fois' command, Ronin hopped off the Wind Eagle and took a few steps away before turning around to face them again. "Thank you, sir." Was all he said before watching them take off back into the sky. All in all, it had been a good trip, and Ronin hoped that it might have been the start of a new friendship.
Ronin
The Pansy who talks like a Dandy

Words: 117946
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2011, 3:20 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Artist (1)

Postby Mercury on May 11th, 2011, 4:12 am

Ronin

Skill(s)
  • Rhetoric + 1 XP
  • Running + 3 XP
  • Socializing + 4 XP
  • Hunting/ Food Preservation + 2 XP
  • Philosophy + 1 XP
  • Observation + 1 XP
  • Riding: Wind Eagle + 2 XP

Lore(s)
  • Respectful and Subservient
  • Unrecognized for One's Effort
  • Holding One's Tongue
  • Attempt at Casualty
  • Proving Reality
  • Staying Focused
  • Justifying a Kill
  • A Hunter's Pride
  • Bear Meat
  • Overwhelming Envy
  • An Unlikely Friendship
  • A Change of Heart

Method to my Madness: Rhetoric for convincing Fois to follow you. I expected Ronin to be a little more injured after the bear attack - i.e. I didn't give you as many points for running because I don't believe he should have been able to run so, he isn't godlike…yet.
I gave you the choice between hunting and Food Preservation for draining the bear's blood and such.

Fois

Skill(s)
  • Running + 2 XP
  • Acrobatics + 1 XP
  • Riding: Wind Eagle + 4 XP
  • Massage + 1 XP
  • Hunting/Food Preservation + 5 XP
  • Leadership + 2 XP

Lore(s)
  • Ankle Strain
  • Benefit of the Doubt
  • An Endal's Pace
  • Pain is for the Weak
  • Bear Meat
  • Opening Up to A Lower Caste Member - Chiet
  • Emotional Regret - Revealing Too Much
  • Good Samaritan
  • Give Credit Where Credit is Due
  • Change of Heart

Method to my Madness: Your first description of your acrobatic landing of Seleer were hard to follow, I am still unsure about that acrobatics skill. I adore Fois' relationship with Seleer - it's so gritty and real. I gave you the choice between hunting and Food Preservation for draining the bear's blood and such.

You can address any questions or concerns to the little voice in your head. A.K.A. PM me.
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Mercury
Poisoning you to insanity, one word at a time

Words: 93204
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2011, 4:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous