[Flashback] Finding the Void (Wrenmae)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Seidaku on May 31st, 2011, 1:34 pm

It was not the boy's first time channeling Djed. Could that be an explaination? WIth a functional, real world foundation to build on, would additional schools of magic come smoother? It stood to reason that that would be the case, much as with any sort of knowledge.

And then Wrenmae's hands and arms began to change. Tufts of fur erupted and nails sharpened to claws. The transformation was shocking to behold... and amazing. After his initial surprise, Seidaku leaned forward in rapt fascination to watch the metamorphosis occur. Questions whirled through his mind: did it hurt? How did it work? Could he turn all the way into an animal? Could he turn into different animals? How long would it last? The questions chased themselves through his head.

Then, with the same swiftness as it had begun, the changes were done and the boy was returned to his original form. He had seen the eyes though, and the resigned smile. He heard the topic change in the boy's question and looked away himself.

Clearing his throat, he pointedly ignored the diversion and pushed forward, into an uncomfortable place of honesty. Like matched with like, "You know... some people think that, umm, that magic is wrong... or evil. It can certainly be dangerous, and I make no bones about that. But, umm, fire can be dangerous as well. Or a sword. Magic is a tool like any other. It can pose a threat without control, but if you are careful it is no more dangerous than a blacksmith's forge, and no more evil than the intentions of the person using it."

With another nervous cough, he said, "That's how I see it, anyway."

Acutely aware of the awkwardness of the moment, he leaped on the diversion the boy had provided earlier, "The symbols on the floor are Glyphs. They serve no special importance with Voiding, except in that they assist with managing a flow of Djed. Imagine them as locks or dams in a river, allowing you to control the amount of water that passes."
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Words: 140247
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Wrenmae on June 14th, 2011, 7:25 pm

Magic was the same as a sword, used for gain it could but down lives but used for good it could protect. It was a warming thought, firming the simple walls around him as a sanctuary. Voiding, a principle wrought in nothingness, was no different from learning how to wield a bow. It could be used for great harm, or great benefit...it all depended on the wielder. Nodding, Wrenmae offered on of his willing smiles. Seidaku had been a rare find in the city, immersed in enough magical theories to address the entirety of Djed manipulation in one fell swoop.

Magic was the practice of forcing ones will to alter reality around them. In many ways, magic was to the weak what muscles and size were to the strong. It was necessary, in a certain sense, to cultivate habits that would ensure survival. In that way, all the unexpected souls deviated toward the Djed practices. Why not? A too-tall barbarian with a blood smeared axe could be as nothing to a skilled Voider, or even a pet to a skilled Hypnotist. The possibilities were there, waiting in the air, pregnant with possibility.

Kneeling down where the glyphs had been drawn, Wrenmae mimicked them in the dust again, paying as much detail as he could to each minor swoop and swirl in the design. He didn't know their meaning, not so much, but the idea intrigued him. Controlling power with the use of symbols...could the same be done with Vayt's touch?

The possibility was exciting, painfully so, and he had to press his hands against the cold ground to keep from trembling.

"I don't...want to take up too much more of your time," he began, still committing the shapes to memory, "But before I go, could you teach me some basics of glyphing as well?"

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Seidaku on June 15th, 2011, 5:06 pm

It appeared that the boy's self-doubt was at least temporarily assuaged. But as long as he listened to the fearful whispers about his ability, they would return. Seidaku supressed a sigh, how much further could they have recovered from the Valterrian if not for fear of the unknown? How much was still missing, not because it was gone, but because no one wanted to find it?

There was a seed of truth to the fear though, he was not naive enough to think that there was no threat of misuse with magic. But like he had told the boy, if you were stabbed by a bandit, did you blame the sword? Magic was much the same way. It was all a matter of intent.

Returning to the matter at hand, he gave the boy a smile of his own and said, "I do not know much more than the basics myself, so that is all I could teach you even if you had time for more."

He gestured to the swirls of symbols spiraling down to their origin point, "There is no one way to draw the Glyphs. What works for me might not work for you. You have to... well, you just have to see what feels right. There are some common elements, though. This one here is actually fairly simple, despite its size. It only contains paths. They act as, well... paths, actually."

For a moment, Seidaku struggled with the metaphor before he settled on, "It is like a road. A wagon has a harder time traveling over open wilderness than it does a road, if it can go at all. Your paths are roads for Djed, allowing it to flow easier where you want it to. I use it to make my portals easier to open."

"With some of the more advanced Glyphs, you can do more, including storing an effect for later, or even releasing it when particular conditions are met... Something that I would not want to do with a Void portal," he added with a short laugh.

Seidaku sat down at his desk and set a piece of paper in front of him. Unstopping the bottle of black ink and wetting the tip of a quill, he looked up at Wrenmae and asked, "Are you ready for more?"
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Character sheet

Postby Wrenmae on July 7th, 2011, 6:13 pm

A river...the thought was an interesting one. Wrenmae had always assumed Djed was more like wind, directionless until one bound it toward a purpose. Seidaku's description of streams, perhaps even enhancing or changing the effects of Djed through drawing...well it seemed interesting. Certainly his doubts in magic were always somewhat assuaged when he spoke to his teacher. Seidaku had a way of putting the boy's fears to ease. Outside people mistrusted him enough without whispers of magical ability. Seidaku, either through his role as socially askew or lack of care, had not seemed to hold the rumors allayed against Wrenmae seriously. Certainly Wrenmae felt he was the cause for some of Seidaku's sick leaves, the times he shut himself inside with naught more than magic and medicine to keep him company. Still, if the mage had made a connection, he was kind enough not to mention it.

Pulling up a chair to the desk, Wrenmae nodded that Seidaku should continue. Already he visualized the sweeping patterns he would make, the things he would want his Djed to do. Wings. He wanted wings. Somehow the idea of flight appealed to him beyond any other application of morphing. To soar on strong wings over the land, to be free and happy, it overflowed his senses.

"All I need are the basics," Wrenmae assured his friend with a quick smile, "I don't have anything better to do than practice, after all." It was true. Life had been harsh for the orphan, harsher still now that his adopted parents were ill. Alienated by friends and relations both, Seidaku was the only man who had the patience to hear him.

Everyone else simply saw his reputation, as though he were walking words rather than a person at all.

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Seidaku on July 8th, 2011, 12:00 am

"Oh, umm, yes," Seidaku said with an answering smile, "There is a certain, ah, a certain sense of accomplishment that comes with a achieving a result on your own."

"In that case, closely related to the paths are, umm, barriers," with meticulous strokes, pausing frequently to consider his work, he moved a short distance away and drew a small circle of angular symbols, almost identical to the swirling paths already laid out upon his floor, "They stop Djed. You can, ah, force your way through if you are talented enough or have enough Djed at your command. The, umm, the same thing in most instances, I suppose."

"Of course," he said, looking up from the small circle of black runes on the floor, "Once an effect has been created with that Djed, it becomes a physical object, and is governed by the same rules as any other physical object," he passed his hand effortlessly back and forth across the Glyphs, "A barrier will not stop that. Although..." His attention drifted, and his eyes seemed to stare into a middle distance, glassing over slightly.

He shook himself back into the moment, blinking rapidly and chuckling, "Neither here nor there, sorry."

With an expansive gesture of his brush, he said, "And now, we, ah, well, we pass into a realm that I have not, umm, have not quite gotten down. I can share what I know, though. Maybe you can make something of it."

It was entirely possible. Just from what he had seen today, the boy had real potential. He had opened his first portal to the Void after only part of an afternoon of meditating. Not to mention what he had done with his hands, arms, and eyes. Truly fascinating, and at such an age as well. Wrenmae had the makings of a great mage, if only it were not for his fear...

He blinked his way back into the moment again with an lopsided apologetic smile, "Foci and triggers. A Focus is... well, it's a... it's like a Djed bank. You push Djed into it to retreive later. If I could, ah, make them work, I could cast the Djed-pattern for a Void portal into the Focus and then have that portal ready for later use if ever I needed it."

Leaning forward, he drew a large symbol that most resembled an eight pointed star that encircled a ninth point that was slightly flared in one direction, he said, "I think that it is a slight miscalculation with the positioning of the end points in relation to axis presented by the central point... Umm, but if this worked, I would be able to store Djed. Which, then, is where, ah, the triggers come in."

With a soft laugh, he said, "Putting your Djed somewhere would, umm, would do you no good if you could not get it out. All I can tell you about the Triggers is that you weave them into your Barrier, and when a pre-determined condition is met, the trigger ah, it collapses the Barrier and allows the Focus to activate, releasing the previously stored Djed."

"And that, Wrenmae, is the basics."
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Character sheet

Postby Wrenmae on July 13th, 2011, 12:52 pm

Shapes again, much like Malediction. Wrenmae watched the motions of Seidaku's hands, picking up on the subtle shift of design and pattern. It was hard to memorize his motions and words at the same time, so instead Wrenmae focused on only partially copying. Taking a pen and ink from Seidaku's desk and a few sheafs of paper, he listened and drew. The lines at first were disordered and edged, poor excuses for glyphing or even the simplest of circles that Seidaku had created. Sighing, Wrenmae focused more on application and skill, forcing himself to move slowly as to complete the circle and the outlying designs. If he imagined the lines like rivers or deep rivets where he could pool Djed...perhaps...

There was nothing from his first few attempts, just patterns of drastically different design inked out on the paper before him. Most of the lines were uneven in comparison to Seidaku's. It had been a long day, already exhaustion was pushing against the boy's barriers and threatening to overwhelm his concentration. After the fourth attempt, nodding all the while to Seidaku's instruction, he sat back and scowled at the ceiling. This seemed somehow harder than voiding, as though the practice itself required some mathmatical understanding of angles and foci. Wrenmae, not all that trained, was working off the understanding of shape functions. Walls, foci, barriers, paths...things he could concretely picture. But what was the point? Why not summon it from the self directly?

Seidaku had mentioned something about strengthening his portal with this sort of ability and so Wrenmae concentrated on that. If he could cast the void through a basic glyph, perhaps he could strengthen the actual point of darkness to something a little more respectable. Bending to his work, fashioning the circle he was used to understanding from Malediction, Wrenmae began tracing out the paths lightly, connecting them as geometrically as he could before inking them in like black scars.

The finished product was hardly perfect, a smaller and less impressive design than Seidaku's but it felt complete in its own way.

"I...I dunno how to channel it through," Wrenmae admitted with a frown, handing his drying glyph to Seidaku. "Could you see if it works yourself?"

Four more hours had passed since Wrenmae had begun. Had this been his first experience with glyphing, he might have been slower...but for all the time he had spent with Seidaku, the boy had begun to pick up on the drawings on the floor or walls, doodling their designs for amusement when bored or alone as usual.

In a certain way, it was all coming round circle. (no pun intended). What began as simple interest had given him a learned, if not awkward teacher and the means to pursue his desires.

Seidaku did not judge. He, in fact, encouraged Wrenmae to become proficient at his work, to take pride in his abilities. Rather than hide them, Seidaku had cautioned discipline and knowledge to safeguard against the darker stygmas of mage mistake.

Smiling sheepishly, Wrenmae sat back on the stone floor and waited for Seidaku to test his glyph, hoping it would at least hold some semblance of charge.

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Seidaku on July 14th, 2011, 11:59 pm

While his pupil, he used the term with a pleased smile, bent to the task of tracing the symbols and glyphs onto a sheet of parchment, Seidaku was engaged in an almost identical exercise. Hunched over his desk, he assailed the problem of creating a working focus glyph. With frequent glances over at the much larger swirls of symbols on his floor, he thought that he had stumbled quite accidentally very near the answer.

The swirling lines of his Glyphs all circled a central point, drawing in the Djed he channeled, as well as trace amounts of the ambient energy of the city, toward a central point. Once it was there, he used it immediately, because it would almost immediately vanish into the ether from whence it had come.

Because there was nothing to keep it there!

It was so simple that he had to laugh at himself for not realizing it sooner. The focus was not a single symbol. It was a single Glyph! A focus was nothing more than an advanced barrier. One that stopped the Djed traveling out of an area, but not within. Therefore, the maximum capacity of a focus was the amount of energy that could be contained within the barrier of the focus before it was ruptured.

The only question was... how did he make a barrier that only worked in one direction? The first image that came to mind was of a doorway. A wall stopped a person from crossing in either direction and a doorway allowed them to pass freely. But a doorway that only opened in one direction would allow a traveler to exit but not enter, or enter but not exit.

He had not managed to go further than inscribing a circle onto the sheet of parchment, beside his idly scrawled thoughts, with directional arrows to serve as place holders for real runes, when he was brought back to the moment by Wrenmae.

"What?," he asked, blinking owlishly as his eyes focused on an object at a further distance than a few inches, "Oh, umm, yes. Channeling through the Glyphs."

Seidaku took the sheet of parchment from Wrenmae, careful not to smudge the still damp ink, "It's actually quite good," he murmured, half to himself, as he inspected the simple swirls of ink on the page. The boy was definitely a natural talent. Given a few seasons, or perhaps a few years, of legitimate study, he had little doubt that the boy would far ourstrip him. That knowledge was... the warm feeling of shaping the perceptions of a young mage far outstripped the momentary selfish pang of jealousy at seeing a greater talent.

"Actually," he said, placing the parchment face up on the floor, "This can, ah, serve as several important lessons all rolled into one."

He stepped back as far as he was able while still being able to work into the Glyph, less than a foot, but it would be enough, and gestured for his student to do the same. "This glyph, it, umm, aids in the channeling of Djed. And it does this, by, ah, by creating an area where Djed wants to flow. It will also augment your own energy with a small percentage of what is, uh, well, floating around, so to speak. The ambient Djed."

"Just reach out with your mind, your perceptions, and umm, feel the Djed," as he did so, he could actually feel the boy's Glyph, rough and occasionally stuttering, but still more effective than a raw casting, "Once you have it, you need to, umm, guide your effect through the Glyph, instead of just, ah, grabbing at the air, so to speak."

With his hands raised and his palms pointed toward the parchment, Seidaku closed his eyes and felt the rough currents of the boys Glyphs, pushing Djed through the twists and swirls and harnessing the energy that he already found swirling there. From the focal point of that energy, he reached out to a single point and pushed the world out of it with his mind. Through that single point of perfect emptiness, the Void flowed into Mizahar.

"And now, umm, for the second lesson," he said, turning to face Wrenmae with the portal still swirling, smaller than his palm, scant inches above the ground, "Your Glyphs, ah, any Glyph really, can only channel so much energy before it is, umm, full. Or empty. Or... well, done. It is important to know where that limit is."

He took a single deep breath, and then the portal began to rise slowly into the air, growing larger as it did so. Almost perfectly in time with the portal's ascent, the runes drawn onto the parchment began to dry and flake, and the sharp scent of burning parchment rose lightly into the room.

"Because the Glyphs channel energy, when they are destroyed during channeling, the energy, ummm, the Djed, it needs to go somewhere. Sometimes, that is as, ah, simple as crumbling to dust. Sometimes it can be a fire. It can even," before he could finishe the sentence, the simple rune detonated in a flash of light and a deafening thunderclap. In his surprise, Seidaku lost his connection to the Void portal and it began to swirl itself out of existence as the world rushed back in to claim its own.

"Sometimes it, ah," he said loudly, blinking away purple after images, "Sometimes it can do that. The effect is, of course, proportional to the, umm, the amount of energy involved."
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Character sheet

Postby Wrenmae on July 23rd, 2011, 11:17 pm

The bang started the young mage, sending him back on his ass in surprise. The void filled the air briefly before vanishing, leaving no indication it had been there before. He stared wonderingly at that absence, at the gently wafting remains of the paper he had inscribed his glyphs upon. At least they had worked.

Taking another sheet of paper wordlessly, Wrenmae bent himself to inscribing again, lancing the symbols across the paper and concentrating on their design. he tried to make them fuller, stronger, a bit more gentle rather than the jagged rendition he'd done earlier. He mimicked his own shape of before for sake of simplicity, murmuring to Seidaku as he did so.

"Have you ever taught anyone else, I mean, am I your only student?" Glancing up between brush strokes, the boy smiled, "You aren't afraid of the rumors then, are you..." He trailed off, shrugging to keep the truth of what he meant from shadowing his features, "They say I bring disease to people, sickness and the like...I know you've been sick more than you were before ever since you've met me, but you still want to teach me."

Ink pooled on the paper, dripping from the brush. Wrenmae looked into the symbol instead of Seidaku, his features crossed in almost bitterness. "Not to look your generosity in the mouth, but why? I'm no one especially interesting and I don't bring you much benefit other than cleaning your house...so why me?"

Finishing the design, Wrenmae briefly wondered if she shoudl hypnotize Seidaku...bring him to speak more truthfully. It was only recently that he had figured out that his ability was indeed hypnotism, and had since used it carefully. He could coax Seidaku to be more honest certainly, but to what ends?

The mage had been more than helpful enough to teach Wrenmae all this, to give him a sanctuary where he didn't have to bear the weight of accusing gazes or suspicion of existence. To hypnotize him would be to devalue his influence...and so Wrenmae did not.

Finished with his glyph, the young mage focused his newly found Void understanding through the symbols, feeling his own 'ambient' Djed and sending it through the symbols like water.

Above the paper a tiny pinprick of Void opened, a dot of infinite shadow and nothingness.

For a moment it grew, not much larger than the width of an eye, but it still grew, shaping and flickering as the ink dried and flaked off the paper, the glyph finally vanishing in a hollow pop, flames consuming the paper and the void vanishing to naught once again.

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Seidaku on July 25th, 2011, 6:06 pm

The fact that Wrenmae returned immediately to his work after the rather shocking display instead of bolting for the door or giving up because it did not work spoke well of the boy's potential as a student. Of course, it surely helped that his student had learned a great deal before starting as his student. He had already learned that, to be successful in magic, one must be diligent. Especially in the beginning, failure was much more common than success, and even the successes were often partial, only stepping stones to the next, more complete, success.

Wrenmae's questions, asked seemingly with only half a mind for the answer, surprised Seidaku, though he supposed that they should not have. He was silent for long enough that Wrenmae could be forgiven for thinking that there was no answer forth coming before he finally gave a light shrug of his shoulders and said, "Interesting is a, ah, very different thing from worthwhile."

"I have, umm, never had a student before," he chuckled and added, "Which I would think obvious. I don't exactly, uhh, go looking for students. But I can, ah, I can recognize when the gods drop, umm, drop a talented pupil into my proverbial lap. Sometimes I am not the most, ah, observant person, but I saw you studying the Glyphs. And the Voiding. If you had not asked, I would have, umm, offered to train you myself."

"A good thing, too," he said, pointing to the swirl of darkness that had spun into being above the Glyphs, "Less than a full day, and, ah, and you are already able to open Void portals and draw usable Glyphs. With the proper training, you will be, ah, you'll be a mage whose like comes maybe, umm, maybe once in a generation."

He sat back and admired Wrenmae's work again, seeming physically taxed by speaking so much in one stretch. Folding his arms over his chest, he muttered, "And rumors are just that. If you listen to rumor, the, umm, the collective mages of the world eat babies and kick puppies for sport," he shrugged again, "If I get sick, I, umm, get sick. And if I walk out of my door tomorrow morning into a pit of vipers, then I get to, ah, deal with vipers."
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Character sheet

Postby Wrenmae on July 26th, 2011, 9:26 am

"I'm nothing special," Wrenmae muttered, looking down. He wasn't used to praise, especially from someone who hadn't used it with ulterior motive, "Without you to teach me, I would have never understood the basics to either practice."

He'd taken another leaf of paper, this time trying a different swirl to the design. He made sure to put in the barriers, but with a different sort of flourish, focusing painstakingly over every curve. Glyphs were a language to themselves, the sort of interesting byproduct of magical symbols...they were incredibly reminiscent of Malediction, the circles and the shapes, the containing of Djed.

But the circles lasted longer on Malediction.

Finishing the design, Wrenmae once more cast a bit of the void into it, more easily accessing the nothingness and empty mind he needed in order to bring the point of nothing into the world. It hovered there briefly as the glyph consumed paper.

Finally, there was nothing.

Sitting back, Wrenmae sighed and shook his head. He was tired and the day was fast waning past night.

"Thank you, Seidaku," he said dusting bits of burned paper from his clothes, "Can we meet again sometime? I...have some more manipulations of Djed to show you."

Sig by Shausha

Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

PreviousNext