Jobs and Classes

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Jobs and Classes

Postby Cilaes on May 3rd, 2011, 2:18 pm

Hey all,

I've been looking around and mentions of jobs keep coming up. I think that it's great our characters actually have to do something to support whatever lifestyle we want to give them (or pay for classes) but I'm not sure how all of this works out. How do you get a job and what sort of roleplaying, what types of threads and how many, are required to keep up the job and earn a salary? The same question for classes I suppose. Also, can you take classes/have a job in flashbacks?

Thank you.
Common, Kontinese, Pavi
Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Cilaes
Melancholic Medic

Words: 44297
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Jobs and Classes

Postby Siiri on May 3rd, 2011, 2:30 pm

You may arrange for your PC to have a job with a Storyteller of the city you';ll be playing in. You may have a job in a flashback but income will be on a per thread basis I believe. The number of job threads you have to do per season to earn your salary would depend on the storyteller as well. You should consult with them. If you'll be playing in Mura, best consult with Alice or one of her assistant storytellers. :)

This may also be an interesting read for you: Income.
Last edited by Siiri on May 3rd, 2011, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Jobs and Classes

Postby Growl on May 3rd, 2011, 2:35 pm

Well, if you want a job, you should consider what you wouldn't mind writing about, first of all, and what your pc is good at. (For the higher level your pc is in a skill often used in their job, then the higher the pay). For example, if you were a doctor, and had novice levels in medicine and herbalism, you would make less than someone with competent levels in those skills.

In order to get a job, once you have that all figured out, you need to apply to the local DS or AS. You are in Mura, so you'd apply to Alice, who will work something out with you. She may want to mod a thread where you get a job, or she may ask you to self mod, and then send the thread into her for final grading and approval.

When your work is approved, you will have a salary worked out... and all that. BUT, in order to be paid at the end of a season, you need to have written up a fair amount of threads on the subject, or earned a certain amount of points in the skill associated with your job. (I have seen an average of 10 points being asked of players, and 1-3 threads about the job). Note, the more you write about your job, the better you will be, and the more likely you will be to get a higher salary for the next season, and perhaps some seasonal exp... again, apply to the DS about that.

On Mura, at the Opal Temple, one may take a few classes. Mainly in herbalism and medicine. Blythe is also open to teach fortune telling, if you are interested in that, and becoming a fortune teller as well. Note: you will probably have to pay a small fee for both of these things... There is also the suvai pavilion, where you can learn to fight. Again, there is usually a small fee for the services offered there.

Classes may be written up in flashbacks, but, if you are using a specific NPC, say a professor of auristics in Zeltiva, then you may want to talk to Tabarnac about who has already been used... hopefully that makes sense. Also, note, as an eth, if you flashback about past lives, I don't think you can get anything other than a few lores.

I am not sure about the jobs... but I think so... apply to the local DS... again.

Hope that helps!

Ianthe
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Jobs and Classes

Postby Cilaes on May 3rd, 2011, 5:18 pm

Thanks, that's really helpful. I have never played a game with a system like this, and you've both cleared up a lot of my questions. I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but at least I know how to go about it.
Common, Kontinese, Pavi
Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Cilaes
Melancholic Medic

Words: 44297
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet