On the Trail of a God (Tabarnac)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Veldrys on June 6th, 2011, 6:53 am

„Viratas abhors the shedding of blood without cause“, Veldrys agreed. „But there are people that believe that they have a cause, that twist the words of the Viratassa to their purpose so that they can justify their actions.“ He had once had slightly similar views. Before he had left Kalinor, he’d considered surface dwellers – and especially those of mixed blood – inferior, and he had believed that sometimes bloodshed could be justified - although he had never been as extreme in his views as others. Since he had left his home he had found his views gradually changing though.

He nodded as Zahari quoted from the book. He remembered those words. They had been among the first ones from the Viratassa that he had learned. „I will always remember“, he replied, but his words were tinged with a hint of melancholy. If family was important, what did that make him, a Symenestra that had left his home because he couldn’t stand some of the things that his people did?

„Do you think I should do that?“ he asked as Zahari talked more about internalizing the journey. „Do you think I should walk through the labyrinth and meditate?“ Would his mind take new turns if he did so? Would he find some form of enlightment?

As Zahari mentioned Siku’s blessing, the Symenestra’s amethyst eyes widened for a moment. He hadn’t considered that possibility either. He had always thought that a combination of conventional medicine, herbalism and morphing could maybe save a few women from a cruel fate, but he had never thought of the Alvina. She was not particularly popular in Kalinor ...

„I don’t understand it either. Maybe Sitku should carefully be mentioned to my people ...“ he murmurred, although Siku and the Dhani might him slightly uncomfortable. From what little he knew, Siku seemed to value brutal, merciless people. Apart from where the Harvest and the occasional hunt was concerned, the Symenestra were largely peaceful. Would beginning to worship such a deity really be a good idea?
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tabarnac on June 9th, 2011, 7:00 am

Zahari nodded. The Denvali knew plenty about war, even if most of it was passed down through oral or written tradition. He was only grave for a moment, though, because Veldrys' obvious devotion to Viratas made him smile. Even the Chaplain of Aquiras paid homage to one of the patrons of Denval, much as Haimon had great respect for Aquiras. Monotheism in Mizahar would be short-sighted, close-minded, and outright stupid.

"I personally find the labyrinth walk helpful, as well as other meditations, but the labyrinth walk is a mystical tradition and does not suit the needs of every seeker. I would certainly suggest you give it a try if you feel moved to do so, but if you do not get anything out of it after giving it a fair try, do not waste your time. Haimon, me, any priest... we can only give you tools. You must build the path to your god."

Zahari struggled to his feet while Veldrys mused on the wisdom of seeking aid from Siku for his people.

"Or let the priestesses of Viratas be the women who bear the next generation of pure-blooded Symenestra," he said, a little grumpier for the discomfort in his hip and the rest of his aging body. "If they drink enough blood when their precocious little tykes start to feed on them, perhaps Lord Viratas would see fit to heal whatever damage the innate poison might do. But these are the strange things I think about while walking the Labyrinth. Now, I apologize for being old and all, but I think I need to lay down." An acolyte appeared as if by magic to help him away. "Do concoct something special for me," he said. "Jarret will help you if you wish to ask him on my behalf. He understands the pains of aging only too well. Well met again, Veldrys. May your blood remain in your veins."
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Veldrys on June 12th, 2011, 5:22 pm

„Tools are all I need“, the Symenestra replied. „I do not know if I‘m the kind of seeker that will gain something from a walk through the Labyrinth, but I’m willing to give it a try at least once.“ Despite his devotion to the god of blood Veldrys had begun to respect Aquiras. There was something about his story that moved him, that made him want to occasionally send a prayer to him as well. Besides, walking through the Labyrinth certainly seemed to be something that was more connected to Denval’s other patron god.

As Zahari struggled to his feet, the Symenestra automatically extended an arm to help him – if he needed help. He was physically weaker than a human, and his body was comparatively fragile, but he was at least able to support an old priest. He didn’t consider Zahari to be inferior to him any longer. His race didn’t matter anymore.

„Letting the priestesses of Viratas bear the children seems to be a better idea“, he decided. „It might work. And please, do not apologize. I’m grateful that you were willing to share your wisdom with me. Are you sure that you ...“ He’d wanted to ask Zahari if he was sure that he didn’t want to make use of his skill as a healer after all, but then an acolyte had already arrived to help him, and Veldrys didn’t finish his sentence. He only inclined his head in a sign of acceptance.

„And may your blood remain in your veins“, he returned the greeting, and then he walked away, hoping that Viratas and Aquiras would gift the human with a few more years in the ream of the living and ease his pain a little, despite the fact that Zahari didn’t seem to fear death.
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tabarnac on June 13th, 2011, 6:16 am

Zahari, Chaplain of Aquiras, paused at the door, pulling slightly away from his acolyte. He could manifest the labyrinth even here, turning, walking, turning, walking again.

"If it helps, think of the Labyrinth as your system of veins and arteries. There is an order to it, but when you are within it, the order is difficult to see. Just so the journey. We lack objectivity. Remember that. And... do hurry with your miracle cure. I might not live long enough to enjoy its benefits."

He winked and slowly disappeared, loudly berating his acolyte for being an imbecile and a ham-fisted cunt the way he led him about.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tabarnac on June 13th, 2011, 6:20 am

XP Award!

Veldrys
XP Award: Philosophy +5; Anthropology +5; Medicine +1

Additional Notes:
Veldrys is really learning about the soul of Denval via its major cults. That he can respect Aquiras, the comatose god, shows he’s learning to think like a Denvali, and, as such, he will be more and more accepted by the relatively small community. This will please Viratas too, and our next thread will be a gnosis thread, as we discussed.

You also got a point in Medicine for bedside manner, and you can concoct a little something for him in a solo thread for medicine, herbalism, philtering or whatever skills you use to make it. Efficacy to be tested.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Keep writing!
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous