Birds Gone Wild! [Kavala]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Raiha on May 16th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Closed. Kavala, please.

67th of Spring, 511 AV.

Raiha was in good spirits when she finished tacking up her Firemane mare and led her out of the pasture. She was opting to go without the saddle today – the Akontak had something coming on the boat that she had been preparing for for a while, and today, they were due to arrive. As such, she had Yakini’s bridle, reins, and saddle pad, She would be loading some crates up there after, if all went well. She walked the horse through the gates, before using the rail to boost herself up. It took a moment to get settled – much beyond a novice rider Raiha was not, and at long last she nudged the mare with her legs, making a kissing sound at her, and flicked the reins. Yakini, who had been getting fat with good food and not enough riding, responded by moving into an easy walk, and down they went towards the city.

By the time she had made her way to town, carefully balanced on the mare’s back, the sun was already high in the sky. It had been a slow, steady pace with the mare taking it easy and Raiha guiding her with reins and focusing exactly on where she wanted to go. Once they got towards the gates of the city that led to the Grasslands, Raiha was glad to see the caravan’s arrival. The Akontak dismounted, sliding off of the horse’s back and adjusting the saddle pad, shaking the length of rope from her shoulder, draping it over and around the mare, loosely securing the ends up top for now. The horse demanded a mugging, and she gladly gave it while she waited, her fingers getting in along the Firemane’s mane and digging in to give her a good scratch. She was working her way back up when the Konti waved her over.

By the diminutive pale woman’s feet was a pair of crates, one bigger than the other, with holes punched in them. Emanating from those wooden boxes was enough of a noise that had the Akalak nearby almost grimacing. It was an unholy union of avian shrieks and calls, and Raiha picked them out immediately – one belonging to a familiar source, and the other was unfamiliar, but was just plain mad. Both birds were nervous, and the smaller one ravenous. “I thank you. They weren't too much trouble?” Raiha asked the Konti hopefully as she passed her a bag of Mizas.

“That one,” the merchant indicated the larger box, “will be a handful. This, I know. Watch yourself.” She took the bag with a nod. “Watch yourself, blue child,” she smiled up at Raiha, who inclined her head, and lifted the rope handles of the first crate, the bigger one, and listened to the ungodly screams from inside as she carried it over to Yakini, who stared at her with what Raiha was absolutely certain was disapproval at the very idea. She could not be serious, surely, the horse looked like she wanted to say.

“Steady,” Raiha warned the horse as she lifted the crate up, balancing it even as she fed the rope through the handles, and tied steady on Yakini’s back as the horse shifted and Raiha felt the bird flapping its wings with rage. “Steady, Yakini. You are the most perfect mare ever. Good. Good,” she rubbed the mare’s nose as she huffed and puffed in complaint, and Raiha went back for the second crate and the cloth bag that the Konti handed her. The bag was looped over her shoulder, and the second crate was stacked on top of the first before being tied again, and tested. Satisfied with her handiwork, Raiha bade the woman farewell, and started the walk back to Sanctuary, which, if possible, was even slower than the trip to town.

It took some juggling, a lot of begging and soothing and pleading on her part, but she got the horse and the new arrivals back to Sanctuary, where she undid poor Yakini, setting the crates on the ground before taking off the bridle. The mare fled into the pasture before Raiha could apologize further, and lost herself amongst the herd, giving her rider a dirty look. Apples and sugar were going to be needed tonight. The tack was hung up by Yakini’s stall, and Raiha stacked the crates, still carrying the bag on her shoulder, and carried them up to the mews, where Uzima called a greeting to her from her flight, and called out in curiosity when she heard the other birds. “I know, I know,” Raiha grunted as she set the crates down, carrying the smaller one into the flight across from Uzima’s, and undid the latches before sliding up the top end of the crate, and out rocketed one angry little kestrel. “Hi, Kefi,” the Akontak greeted her very first hawk, the one whom she had left behind in Mura.

Killykillykillykilly! Kefi screeched at her. Who did she think she was, carting her about like this? She was hungry! Raiha reached for the little bird with her bare hands, and got her finger nipped with annoyance. It had been over a year since she had last seen her little bird, but the kestrel still seemed to recognize her, letting Raiha stroke her feathers before tweaking her finger again. "I got you,” she promised Kefi, guiding the kestrel to a bowl on the wall. Mouse! A big one, but dead, and the Kestrel ripped into it as Raiha backed out, unable to get what she knew was a stupid grin off of her face as she turned back to the second crate, which she carried into the flight beside Uzima’s. She pulled her gauntlets on. The bird inside of it had quieted a bit, and between that and her success with Kefi, she let her guard down as she unlocked and opened the crate, and an angry goshawk flapped out of the crate and onto a perch, and from that perch, launched himself at Raiha.

Shyke.

Raiha ducked, bringing her leather-covered arm up to try to give him something to stand on, only for the bird to go past it and ripped at the woolen tunic she wore, shredding the cloth with talon and beak as he raged at her, being the only target that he had to take out his anger and confusion and fear on. She couldn’t disengage him – the only thing she was able to do was get her free arm from her tunic, slide it off, and let it tangle the bird as her right arm hurt like hell. Kefi and Uzima called out from their own flights, and Raiha made sure she was almost at the door before untangling the male goshawk from the torn remnants of her tunic and shaking him free before closing the door, breathing heavily, only now finally examining her arm with her fingers once the bird was glaring at her with something akin to malice as she stood there looking at him.

Well, she sucked in her breath as the adrenalin wore off and she looked down at the gashes and gouges of her arm. That wasn’t good. That definitely wasn’t good. She grabbed the remnants of the tunic and shook it out before pressing it to her arm with a hiss and headed out in search of Kavala as the blood stained the dark grey fabric, turning it almost black with blood, and Raiha’s face was twisted up, teeth clenched, as she used the hand of her injured arm to knock on Kavala’s room, keeping the cloth pressed against the wound. “Kavala? Are you around?”
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on May 22nd, 2011, 6:42 am

ImageWhen wasn't she around? That would have been the better question. Kavala was thoroughly tethered to the Sanctuary for one reason and one reason only. That reason was currently sound asleep against her ribs in his baby sling halfheartedly nursing at a breast whenever he awoke long enough to decide he was hungry. Tasi looked like his father in so many ways other than the shock of white hair that seemed to crown his head in a manner that defied any of her ability to tame it.

Rocking him gently, Kavala reached out, both arms free, to adjust the drip on her philtering lab where she was busy distilling a mint and comfrey infusion that was designed to ease swelling and extend circulation in hooves where the coffin bone had twisted. It was a recipe she hadn't quite perfected yet, but one she was hard at work on for the sake of a client's horse that was so footsore the mare could barely walk.

Tasi had been interested in the procedure for all of two chimes before he'd snuggled close to his mother and fell asleep.

Kavala didn't mind. She'd slowly grown used to carting him everywhere and basically going tunicless or at least feeding him twenty times a day with his appetite being what it was. Tasi was a healthy baby, one that didn't get sick of fussy, and for that Kavala was grateful. Akontak's could be sickly, weak, and often didn't live outside of their infancy. She was bound and determined to see that he did.

When Raiha's voice reached her, Kavala dropped the bundle of mint she was about to feed into the distiller and turned, raising her voice slightly but not so sharply as to disturb the slumbering infant. "In the lab. What's up?"

The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Raiha on June 12th, 2011, 3:35 pm

Oh, she was glad to hear that Kavala was there. She did not want to go parading throughout the rest of Sanctuary as blood dripped everywhere.

Raiha got the door open, then, and made her way to the lab, her blue skin a little paler than usual as she took in the philtering apparatus. Philtering was something that more or less went beyond her - oh, she would happily hunt things for it, and try her own herbal concoctions, but Kavala's skills with medicine were in a different league altogether. “I’m sorry to interrupt you. How are you and Tasi doing today?” He looked healthy, and Raiha only hoped he continued that way. She’d gone through fits of health followed by much longer and predominant bouts of sicknesses that had kept her practically hidden and indoors in bed for the first decade of her life. In Riverfall, though… that probably would have been unacceptable and inexcusable.

“Do you have your medical kit with you? I’m going to need a hand or two,” by now, the cloth was saturated as Raiha clutched it to the wound inflicted by her latest acquisition, and was staining her fingers. She twisted her body slightly to angle it so Kavala could see just what the Akontak was referring to. “I just brought two birds in from Mura. And Chuki was… a little stressed from the trip,” she peeled the cloth away, sucking in her breath. She revealed the long, wounds that looked less like something a bird had done and more like someone had taken a couple of knives in one hand and dragged it down her arm from her shoulder to her elbow so Kavala could see just -why- the Akontak had come to her. Normally, if Raiha had scrapes, she took care of them. This one? Not so much. She covered it back up again to put the pressure on it with the torn sleeve of the tunic once more as the blood started once more.

Whatever 'Chuki' was, it had better be something she planned on keeping away from everyone else!
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on August 7th, 2011, 2:15 am

ImageKavala started to smile when she saw Raiha, that is before her pale blue gaze took in the bloody sleeve and Raiha holding a cloth to her entire arm. The Konti hissed in sympathy and quickly glanced for a place to put Tasival down. The Akontak babe got rapidly yet very very gently deposited in a carrier that was perched in barely enough room for it on a far counter. The little boy didn't stir much from his transfer as Kavala kept her eyes on Raiha. "Out of the lab and into the exam room, Raiha. We can fix that up, but I want to get a better look at it and the light is so much cleaner in there than in this lab." She picked up the baby carrier and slipped into the exam room depositing Tasi in a shady corner before turning to assist Raiha. First and foremost she made her sit down, then she grabbed a knife and began to cut away the fabric off Raiha's shoulder, so the entire limb was exposed and only covered by the pressure Raiha was keeping on it.

As she worked, she talked softly. "It was a raptor wasn't it? Was the bird okay? You look like you lost that fight." Kavala said, peering at the wounds now and grabbing a flask of water. The water went right over the wounds, washing them out as Kavala ignored the bloody mess it was making of the floor and Raiha's britches. "How'd this happen? It must be a big bird, those talon marks are enormous." Kavala said, applying extra water to a lower gash that looked shallow but ended up including a muscle tear as well. Then when the wounds were clearly visable and washed as best as Kavala could do, she tapped her gnosis and began to clean the wounds out. Most people assumed Rak'keli healers healed by just touching and the wound went away, but that in fact made a mess. One had to heal exactly as one did in nature. One cleaned, one burned out infection, then one closed the wounds.

Kavala's first pass, while the wounds were still bleeding freely was to cleanse of infection. Her blue-lit hands scorched Raiha's arm with Rak'keli's power, burning off any chance of anything infesting Raiha's flesh with disease. Kavala glanced at Tasi, then seeing that he was settled comfortably - not asleep but not screaming - she went back to Raiha.

The second pass closed the wounds, leaving only scars where torn flesh should have been. While she was doing that, she glanced up at Raiha's eyes and asked again carefully. "So what exactly happened? This looks like it hurts worse than a glassbeak scoring." The Konti was patient, and knew that Raiha wouldn't tell her unless she wanted Kavala to know. But talking gave Raiha a chance to get her mind off what Kavala was doing, mostly to ease the patients worry while Kavala was easing the pain.

Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raiha on September 2nd, 2011, 7:57 pm

Raiha followed along, sucking in her breath, pulling her lips flat against her teeth against the agony that was her arm. In the exam room, the Akontak settled where guided. She made herself relax her hand, knowing better than to make a fist, which only strained the muscles and the veins, and considering the wound, that would not be conducive to healing it. She closed her eyes, and just focused on breathing now that she was sitting.

Inner peace.

Trying to meditate with an injury like that, she found, was pretty much impossible. She cleared her mind, and kept pushing the searing lashes of pain to the outside to try to just focus. If you didn’t think about the pain, it hurt less. It was easier to live with it. Listening to Kavala helped. She kept her arm still, not at all worried about her clothing. It could be washed. It was not a big deal. “He’s fine. Pissed off, but fine. I’ll go back and check on him in a little while. I had some birds sent from Mura,” she opened her eyes again to watch what Kavala was doing. She always liked to watch. “My Kestrel, Kefi, and a mate for Uzima... big goshawk cock I’ve called Chuki... biggest male I’ve ever seen.” One could understand, maybe, why Raiha would actually have a raptor that belonged to her shipped to her, but it was a stretch about another bird. “I’ve not seen any goshawks like Uzima around here to trap one,” she added by way of explanation.

“They arrived today... I picked them up from Riverfall this morning, and brought them here. I released Kefi first into her flight... no problems. She remembered me,” the pleasure in Raiha’s voice was faint, but Kavala knew that that was indicative of far deeper feelings in the young Akontak. “Fed her, and went to let Chuki out... didn’t take the proper precautions. I messed up,” she grinned a bit. She wasn’t afraid to admit that. Some people could never confess a mistake, but Raiha had no problems with it. You learned from them. Those who forgot, or ignored, the past, after all, were doomed to repeat them. Acknowledge the mistake, and move on. “But we’ll see how well he hunts. They said he was a little raw. But I can work with that. And if he’s good... Then maybe we’ll have some goshawk chicks. But he is a beauty.” It took a certain kind of person to love and appreciate a bird who had just caused enough damage to render one of their limbs essentially useless without some serious healing.

And Raiha was certainly one such person.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on October 6th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Kavala smiled. "You are the only person I know that can take a mauling from a raptor and smile in appreciation at him all the same." Kavala said, laughing a little as she set Raiha's wounded arm aside and went to mix Raiha some herbs. The first was a salve mixture of numbroot that Kavala boiled up in the spring. It was boiled and simply added to beeswax and gum pitch which had a natural ingredient that kept it from going rotten too fast as well as aided to firm it up. It was a stinky proposition done outside. But the root once turned into a salve made a nice pain killer which was the first order of business for Raiha... taking away her pain.

Kavala slathered the salve onto the wound deadening the painful scrapes. They were cleaned out thoroughly and with the numbroot doing its job, Raiha should have been much more comfortable. "Better? That had to hurt, Raiha. And bleed. I'm glad you got the blood stopped. A bird like that can easily get a main artery and then it can be all over in a short amount of time as you bleed out." Kavala cautioned, her eyes worried over the teenage Akontak.

Kavala was glad Raiha was able and willing to overlook a bad humored bird - perhaps one that was only scared - in order to plan for the future and the birds training. "I'll have to go see him later." She said, implying once he was settled and more used to his new surroundings. Raiha had the touch with birds, Kavala did not. She'd wait, patiently, and admire him when he was a little more calm and settled.

Once Kavala was sure Raiha wasn't feeling any discomfort from the wounds, she picked her arm back up and began to slowly tap her gnosis marks, throwing healing into the scratches - well what Raiha called scratches and what Kavala called deep rends - and began healing them from the damage near the bone outwards. Bone was unbruised, muscle re-knit, and finally skin repaired until all Raiha has were angry salve colored welts of fully healed wounds that would show scars but give her no discomfort. Kavala soothed the welts until the skin was completely cleaned and offered Raiha a jar of salve. "Numbroot. You won't be bleeding out anytime soon, but odds are that arm will be sore for a few days." She added, smiling slightly.

"I don't need Avalis' blessings to know Chuki is going to teach you better reflexes." Kavala predicted, patting her friend on the shoulder. "I'm surprised your sister didn't throttle him when she had the chance. She's been calmer lately, hasn't she?" Kavala inquired, curious, but not wanting to cross the line into prying.
Last edited by Kavala on October 30th, 2011, 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raiha on October 28th, 2011, 2:22 am

She relaxed even more as the numbroot kicked in, and she was content to support her arm and hold it in place for Kavala as she worked. The agony that was doing its best was now on the outside of her mind, and that made it all the easier to ignore. Pain, Kanikra had said time and time again, was like fear. You could train your mind to ignore it. That was easier said than done for her sister, as Raiha had learned over the years. But focusing on something else was her key for it, and Kavala was that key today.

She watched, following along with Kavala’s hands and words. It always fascinated her to watch Rak’keli’s power at work, even if Kanikra resented it and the conflicts it provoked. “Much better,” she breathed, smiling up at the Konti from where she sat, and flexed her arm with full confidence in her friend’s abilities. She understood her implication, though, and she certainly wouldn’t blame her. If a falconer had a handful, one could only imagine what another person would think of it. She smiled at the scars before looking up at Kavala with bright gold eyes, the smile still on her face. “Trial by fire might burn... but the scars are neat reminders.” She could well imagine those words of wisdom, hard-wrought though they may have been, coming from Kanikra. The very way that Raiha said them did a good job of reminding Kavala of the sister-soul Raiha was bound to.

“I deserved it,” she said simply. “That we both agreed on. She found it funny, truly told, because she tells me often that I must always protect myself, and I failed to do so. I became overconfident and I let my guard down, not in combat, but with birds. Because I did that, I got some scratches. It wasn’t his fault. He was scared and angry and I was the closest target and he thought that I was to blame for his distress, which was true.” Raiha considered Kavala’s observation, thinking a bit about it. What do you think? she asked Kanikra. Are you calmer?

I am always calm, Kanikra dismissed this. When have you ever seen me when I am not?

When you are plotting some way to make someone's life not worth living,
Raiha replied in kind. Just because the surface of the water may be smooth as glass, it does not mean that currents do not move underneath.

Fair enough. Tell her I've been thinking. Meditation is useful. Which was true, Raiha had found. Things had been much calmer since last fall. Her eyes wandered down at the shadows lingering around them, all of them wanting to know what was going on with the Shadowspeaker's arm, and why it was no longer bleeding. She would explain it all to them after, she could promise.

“I think she is. She’s not as restless, I think. We’ve been finding other outlets... and meditation helps... we've been doing that every night. Spring cleaning of the mind, year round.” she smiled a little at that.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on November 1st, 2011, 5:51 pm

Raiha had a way of speaking, for sure, that made it no secret there were two of them inside her. Kani rarely deemed Kavala worthy of her time and certainly wouldn't stoop to talk to her, but the Konti didn't mind. She considered Kani something of a ill tempered youth who thrived on rebellion and cynicism.

"Meditation, is it?" Kavala smiled, wondering what in the world Kani meditated on. Her next victim and how the man would go down? Kavala's lips curled into a smile at the thought, nodding to Raiha. "I wonder if she'd be interested in helping me work on a meditation room for the Staff... a chapel of sorts dedicated to a few gods and a place to go to get some quiet time after all the chaos that tends to come through our doors daily. What do you think? Would it be something you'd be interested in?" Kavala asked, finally releasing Raiha's arms. They were scarred alright, but nothing so bad as they could have been. She was right. Scars gave character.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Raiha on November 6th, 2011, 4:49 pm

“I’m sure she would. She likes a project,” Raiha got up, and stretched, checking out her new war wounds and shaking her head at them, but there was admiration in her glance. Chuki has a set of talons on him, that was for sure. He’d gotten first blood. He wouldn’t get it a second time, she promised herself that. Patience, practice, and getting to know him while he got to know her. That’s what it would take. But between him and Uzima, if she could teach them to hunt together... bigger game might be possible than anything they could take down with only one goshawk. She used the arm that hadn’t been soaked in blood to wrap around Kavala and squeeze her in a grateful hug to the taller girl. "Thank you. That's much better."

Group hug, Kanikra chuckled as she pulled Raiha back, and while Raiha hesitated, she let Kanikra take over. What would she try here that she hadn’t before? Such trust in me... you worry too much. “Naturally. It would be quieter and more peaceful than the mews,” she whispered into the Konti’s ear from her close position before actually nipping her ear lightly and straightening up, wearing Raiha’s smile.

WOULD YOU KNOCK THAT OFF?! Raiha howled as Kanikra only laughed.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on January 9th, 2012, 12:35 am

Kavala blinked, astonished. She turned her head slightly, caught Kani's gaze just before Raiha took back her control, and looked stunned. She wasn't sure what to say or what to do before she realized that was exactly the reaction Kani wanted. Kani specialized in keeping people off balance and taking them by surprise. Kavala was lucky, she thought, that it was only a nibble on her ear and not in fact a knife in her ribs. Kani was capable of it, fully, regardless of how sweet Raiha was.

"Okay, we'll do it this winter, Raiha." Kavala said hesitantly. "When we have more of a chance to open up the underground and make the meditation room circular and spacious. I want it to be a temple as well, to the Gods, so we'll include all those we follow. I had plans for an Akajia and Wyser statue in there as well to honor Riverfall's dieties. I'd like to include Rak'keli, Nysel, Caiyha, and Eryis also. I'll talk to the reimancer about putting them in as statues. I hear his partner is into interior design, so that will help. Maybe if hes artist enough we can get them made." She added. "But all that will have to wait until the winter. You need rest now. That's a fine bird you got.. a fine bird indeed. I just hope he lets you keep the rest of you intact." Kavala added, not adding the part that Kani needed a time out badly.

That just wouldn't go over well.

Kavala was still trying to find her bearing with Raiha's dark sister. The woman showed herself so little to Kavala, but she could still slightly tell when the girl was staring out of Raiha's eyes and pretending to be Raiha. Raiha had an inner light that Kani swathed in darkness, though the darkness itself was beautiful too.

"I'll catch you later. If you want anything added to the temple or you need anything for that arm... let me know. Its about time I fed Tasi and Aweston will have his hands full between him and getting dinner on." Kavala said, hugging Raiha and then turning her and ushering her towards the door.
Please Note:
Kavala

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next