What Happened To Your Face? (Canali)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Drayton on May 18th, 2011, 6:10 am

11th day of Spring, 511 AV

It was low tide, thank Laviku! But though the waters had receded for a few hours the Seaside Market was permanently stained. The wooden legs of stalls were stained white with salt and in some places barnacles clung tightly, while other small sea creatures were visible scuttling underfoot. Visuals were not the only cue that this market was tied to the sea. Rising above the scent of unwashed Sunberthians and the sharp smell of ocean waves was the stink of fish. It was everywhere, sinking into clothes, hanging heavy around the stalls and in the aisles, running up the nostrils of the shoppers.

Eleanor pushed through the almost palpable fragrance of seafood, scanning the wares, and more closely, the crowds. The young woman was looking for a pocket worth picking and she was in no rush. The silt of the market pathways stuck to her boots as she walked, leaving shallow impressions of her feet which were quick to fill with the tan water that seeped out of the compressed sediment.

Fighting back the urge to inhale gratefully as a sea breeze disturbed the warm air Eleanor thought she saw a familiar face. It couldn’t be, I haven’t seen her since before I left home… She turned quickly around to follow the young woman with dark hair, wondering if it was the same girl she had known growing up.

OOCAh, such intense lack of motivation. My apologies for the lameness, should be better tomorrow… Hopefully.
There's nothing wrong with teenagers that reasoning with them won't aggravate.
-Unknown

Common, Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Drayton
You know what you did.

Words: 73710
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2011, 5:37 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Canali on May 20th, 2011, 12:40 am

Stares were given. A black and blue mark, which clearly held knuckle marks a deeper shade of purple, lay upon Canali's right cheek. A mirage of green and yellow surrounded it like liquid around an island. Her cheek was swollen, but not really noticeable unless you were close up. A small shadow of yellow surrounded the lower part of her eye.

Canali's hair, though curly and giving shadow, didn't hide the mark. At all. In fact, it only offset the bright and dark colors of the bruise. A small smile graced her lips, though it turned slightly forced when merchant after merchant ogled her face.

The bruise was given to her with the intent of shutting her up, a few days back. Less than a week. Two men had trapped her in an alley, partially drunk, and planned on raping her. With the aid of someone else from the vigilantes guild, she managed to escape. And slice open the bottom of her foot with a shard of glass.

A shirt had come in handy as a bandage, and Canali wore a shredded old tank top wrapped around her foot today. No sandals. They wouldn't fit with the wrap. A slight limp decorated her walk.

Meandering along in the crowd, Canali watched the stands for a couple things. Today, she was aiming towards buying ink, a writing utensil and something to scribble on. Her art needed improving, drastically. How else but to buy the items needed? Sand wouldn't qualify any longer; the picture always washed away sooner or later.

Her grey eyes spotted a stand ahead; top full of colorful objects of all kinds. Glass ink bottles! There were colors of all sorts. A grinning merchant with beady eyes and a bald head watched over Canali as she picked each up; entranced by their beauty.
This account is being retired. If you would like to contact me, please do so through the account of Lacai. Thank you.
Canali
Dont Make Me Get The Pan!

Words: 152746
Joined roleplay: April 17th, 2011, 4:11 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Drayton on May 21st, 2011, 2:43 pm

OOCI added a little backstory for how they know one another, it’s pretty vague but if you’d rather it say anything else, or not exist, let me know and I will edit.
Yes, that’s definitely her! Eleanor thought as she followed the soft curls of long, dark hair through the crowds. The girl was about two years older than she was, and had spent some time on the streets when they were children. Eleanor had played with her when they passed through her section of town. Later, apparently after her father died, the girl had lived in the orphanage, which had been very close to Eleanor’s home. However, a year after her father’s death Eleanor had left her own home, and had never gotten very close to the girl.

Still, she’s still alive. Impressive. Canali was nice, but she’d always been very gentle, if Eleanor’s memory wasn’t too foggy. It was surprising to see the kinder souls last very long here.

It wasn’t hard to catch up to the girl, she was limping pretty badly. Eleanor noticed the dirt and wet sand that climbed up her bare ankles and sank into the folds of a thick bandage she had wrapped around one foot. I wonder… Canali was looking at bottles of ink when Eleanor walked quietly up behind her, the squelching of her steps concealed by the sounds of merchants plying their wares and mothers called for lost children. The bottles shone in the sunlight as the girl twisted them around in her pale palms.

“Hey, what are you looking at?” At least that’s what Eleanor had been planning on asking Canali. When the girl turned around to acknowledge her she saw the brilliant bruise that had puffed up her cheek and the knuckle marks that adorned it, a little signature from the artist. What came out of her mouth instead was: “Hey, what- What happened to your face?!”

Eleanor wasn’t very tactful at times and the words came out louder than she had intended.
-Unknown

Common, Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Canali on May 25th, 2011, 11:58 pm

"Quite pretty, huh, lass?" the merchant asked Canali; balding brunette head shiny in the sun. A tooth was missing from his smile. A front tooth. Crooked and yellow were the others. He was an older gentleman, a slight hunch back and a cane. Lines wrinkled his face.

Canali murmured something polite in response. She was entranced by the colors. So many different shades did this merchant have. Everything except white. Perhaps they were made with water and… Crushed berry juice? Canali was aware of how certain groups used to make staining colors by crushing fruits and berries in a bowl with a rock or piece of wood until no solid matter was left.

"Excuse me… How were these made?" No use in buying them if they were mostly water. The color wouldn't last and faded quickly. Why paint a picture if the picture wouldn't last?

For a minute, the merchant seemed confused. This girl wasn't straight-out buying. "Berries, ma'am." A slight hesitation. "Kuna Berries." A small berry that came in multiple colors; such as yellow, red, and blue. Mixed together, they made beautiful shades of ink.

The containers were glass, with small patterns engraved; such as swirls and other designs. Colors shone through; brightened by the light behind. Hearing a voice speak, Canali turned to see who was addressing her. A rude sentence bombarded her ears and made several heads turn their way.

"I do believe that is personal…" For some strange reason, the woman looked familiar. Something was nagging at her brain, leading back to her past when her father was alive… But she just couldn't seem to grasp it. Frowning lightly, her eyebrows pushed together. "Eleanor?"
This account is being retired. If you would like to contact me, please do so through the account of Lacai. Thank you.
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Drayton on May 27th, 2011, 3:42 am

”Yeah, it’s me! Canali, right?” Eleanor’s arms shot out wide as if to emphasize her presence. The loose fabric and knotted handkerchiefs that hung on her arms rippled like tattered and forlorn flags in the seaside breeze but a wide smile shot into her sharp cheekbones. The teenager seemed to have missed Canali’s initial offense.

“What are you doing? What’s this- Ink? What do you need that for?” It wasn’t often Eleanor ran into old friends and she remembered Canali being rather pleasant, at least when they were children. It was exciting to meet someone from her past who wasn’t going to attempt to mug her. “Ah, I’m sorry, I’m acting weird. Yeah, it’s Eleanor Drayton. I’m surprised you recognized me, especially after I snuck up on you like that…”

The last sentence fell in a quieter tone than her eager questions, as Eleanor recalled herself and her enthusiasm was tempered by her embarrassment. It didn’t last long though, and the girl was back to grinning at her old acquaintance with her grubby hands on her hips and a comfortable slack in her knees, appraising the woman before her.

“So, are you gonna tell me what happened? I’m surprised to see you all scratched up, you were never one for fights. A rainbow like that would be more at home on my cheek.”

OOCMy apologies for the short reply, wasn't quite sure what to say so I had her spew a bunch on conversation starters. Not exactly the concerned friend is she? :)
-Unknown

Common, Thought

Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Canali on May 30th, 2011, 3:08 am

A step back did Canali take as Eleanor's arms shot out. Memory was beginning to revive as she remembered when they were children. Nathan and Canali used to go on runs; on the worst ones, Nathan would be forced to leave Canali in a crowded area, away from people for her own safety. To his relief, Eleanor had just kind of… Showed up, and Canali adopted her as a play-pal. Even though Canali was aware of it, she never let the age gap bother her. The two had played many a times in the dark alleyways of Sunberth; hide-and-seek, burglar and thief, hopscotch, and so many more games.

"Yes, Canali." A slight sentimental feeling raced through Canali. Eleanor was a piece of her past; when her father was still alive. Giving Eleanor a slight pause, Canali turned back to the merchant; showed him three inks she had picked up, and shoved the colored inks into one hand. Reaching into her pocket, Canali handed over the twelve mizas to pay for them before turning away to face Eleanor again. "I dabble in drawing. The inks I bought are going to be used for my bad excuse of a skill." Grey eyes twinkled. "It's Sunberth; you get used to people sneaking up on you." As was remembered, Eleanor was a bundle of over-excited energy. "Come, walk with me."

Without waiting to see if Eleanor would actually follow, Canali slipped the inks into her pack, situated them so they wouldn't bump and break, and took off at a leisurely walk; eyes scanning the booths for books. Blank books. Or paper. Either one worked. Chatter of the people around them filled Canali's ears as she spoke. "I was attacked in an alley by two thugs. Drunk and in a lust-filled state of mind, they intended to have their way with me. It turns out would-be rapists don’t like it if you fight back. Who knew, right?" Humor laced her words. The story wasn't funny.

"Cid, a friend, found me before anything could truly happen. Unfortunately, I didn't recognize him and ran from the alley. A blade of glass sliced the bottom of my foot. Cid, after situating my foot, helped me away."
A light hand subconsciously fell to her cheek, tracing the mark. It was warm and, surprisingly, hard. Most likely from how deep the bruise was. "No, I do tend to stay away from fighting. How have you been at staying out of trouble?"
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Drayton on May 30th, 2011, 3:38 am

Why are you paying for those? she thought, stopping the words from slipping off her tongue as she remembered that Canali had always walked a straighter path than herself. Shoving the words to the back of her throat and her sticky fingers into her pocket she followed the young woman through the crowds, listening to her story.

Stuff like that happens a lot around here. She’s lucky she got away from it, that her friend showed up… Canali’s long hair swayed gently across her back as she walked, Eleanor watched the soft curls bouncing over the woman’s delicate shoulders. She’s pretty, pretty girls aren’t safe here. They either ask for money or avoid the streets at night… Eleanor felt a lump of jealousy rise in her chest, pressing hard against her lungs.

She knew she wasn’t pretty. Her chest was flat and her face too bony, her hair too matted for someone to want to run their fingers through. She shoved the lump away. Boy’s have liked you, so stop thinking like that. It’s not like you want that sort of attention anyway. You’ve been lucky nothing like that’s ever happened to you… Eleanor was thankful she’d never been attacked like that, but watching the beautiful young woman her playmate had grown into the teen couldn’t stop remembering her own grubby reflection from that mirror so many months ago.

“You’re really fortunate he found you. I’m glad it turned out okay, how do you know the guy?” Maybe he was more than a friend. Gossip was something Eleanor missed out on sometimes, living with her three “roommates” it was fun to hear about other people when she could.

Her face had been concerned as she tailed Canali, listening to the story of her close encounter, but she let out a chuckle at the last question. “For me it isn’t so much staying out of trouble as figuring out different ways to get out once I’m in it. But I’ve been doing well enough, my ribs aren’t bruised anymore. But hey, even if you try and stay away fighting will find you in Sunberth. I look for it sometimes, but it would get me even if I didn’t. It’s dangerous not to know how to protect yourself, as I’m sure you know now.”
-Unknown

Common, Thought

Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Canali on June 14th, 2011, 8:56 pm

[style=width:500px; padding:5px; border:1px solid #335577; background-color: #000000; float:left;] A small smile slid over Canali's lips; though a hint of worry traced them. Covering it, Canali slowed to walk next to Eleanor. Taking shorter strides, Canali shifted around a bustling person; to avoid a head on collision. A strong breeze of salty air wafted into her nose. Canali's eyes scanned the horizon, taking in the sites and the narrowing of people. Many were home by now.

"We met quite a few years ago. A gathering of sorts, you could say." Shutting her mouth, Canali fought to keep from being sucked into her thoughts; her worries. "He is more like a brother to me, than anything." Sure. Let's go with that. "I forget, excuse me, but do you have any siblings?"

A light, bell resembling tinkle of a laugh fell from Canali's pouty lips at Drayton's description of her troubles. "Still the same old Drayton, I see." Even when they were children and playing together in the streets, Drayton always had to be the "bad guy". Especially if they were playing Cops And Robbers. More often than not, Drayton escaped the good cop ((Canali)). "Yes. Protection is pretty important, I have found." [style]
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Canali on June 14th, 2011, 8:57 pm

A small smile slid over Canali's lips; though a hint of worry traced them. Covering it, Canali slowed to walk next to Eleanor. Taking shorter strides, Canali shifted around a bustling person; to avoid a head on collision. A strong breeze of salty air wafted into her nose. Canali's eyes scanned the horizon, taking in the sites and the narrowing of people. Many were home by now.

"We met quite a few years ago. A gathering of sorts, you could say." Shutting her mouth, Canali fought to keep from being sucked into her thoughts; her worries. "He is more like a brother to me, than anything." Sure. Let's go with that. "I forget, excuse me, but do you have any siblings?"

A light, bell resembling tinkle of a laugh fell from Canali's pouty lips at Drayton's description of her troubles. "Still the same old Drayton, I see." Even when they were children and playing together in the streets, Drayton always had to be the "bad guy". Especially if they were playing Cops And Robbers. More often than not, Drayton escaped the good cop ((Canali)). "Yes. Protection is pretty important, I have found."
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Drayton on June 26th, 2011, 11:46 pm

”See, I never understood that phrase, like a brother. It doesn’t mean anything. People say it with this stupid idea that because you’re related to someone, you’ve lived with them, you’re close to that person. Like you ought to depend on them or some crap like that. I say, family names don’t tell you anything except the unfortunate folks you got dumped with. Describe someone as a friend though, and you show that you went out and picked them yourself. Seems like that means more…” She was thinking of her father, his ribs and long fingers, and the scars that shone through his five o’clock shadow, her mother with her needles and sewing wheel who was always to tired to reprimand her and who had died before she could become disappointed. She almost forgot about Benjamin.

“Anyway, to answer your question: I’ve got an idiot two years younger than myself, haven’t seen him since I left home though.” The teen’s voice was rough, but not harsh as the words she spoke, in fact, she ended with a small chuckle. The bum, I sort of wonder what’s become of him. Maybe he’s learned to speak by now…

A dirty glove rested on Canali’s delicate shoulder as Eleanor draped her calloused hand over her friend, laughing, “Of course, I haven’t changed that much in two years. Maybe a bit taller. Doesn’t seem like you’ve changed much either, still look like a gentle little girl at least. Anyway, I’ve got an idea, once you’ve found what you need why don’t you come with me, I can teach you to punch or something. You ought to know.”
OOCSorry for not being able to post for so long.
-Unknown

Common, Thought

Drayton
You know what you did.

Character sheet
Featured Thread (1)

Next