Which Race Do You Play?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Which Race Do You Play?

Postby Siana Skyglow on March 15th, 2010, 9:04 pm

Please note: Currently, this poll allows every user to vote only once. So, if you have multiple accounts with different characters, you may want to vote with each account. If this ends up being too much trouble, please let me know and I'll adjust it!

When it comes to fantasy RPGs, picking a race is one of the biggest choices you have to make as a player, especially because it can't be changed as easily later as the character's profession or location. In this universe, at least, your character can't just wake up one day, decide to become a Chaktawe, and poof!, now they've got double eyelids, copper skin and webbed toes. One of the things that continues to amaze me about Mizahar is the number of unique, fascinating races that players are able to choose from when they start a character. From the savage, warlike Myrians to the scholarly Jamoura or the melancholy, poetic, and anatomically astonishing Akvatari, the number of character concepts you can create seems almost infinite. When I first joined the game, I admitI had a difficult time picking just one or two races that I liked best. Even now, I still feel that, if I had the time and energy, I'd love to make a character for almost every race, but I know there's no way I could possibly keep that up.

The longer I've been here, though, the more I've noticed how people seem to gravitate toward certain races, like Kelvic or Konti. However, from a casual glance, it also seems like every race has at least one active character. So, in my love of collecting useless statistics and knowledge, I decided to test if both these observations were true and to see which races are the most popular among players both new and old. :)

So, which race did you decide you liked best? Please feel free to post why you chose the race you did. I always enjoy hearing about the thought process that goes into making characters. With the number of interesting races that Mizahar boasts, I'm sure there must be some interesting stories there too.

For my part, I decided to make a Vantha character even though I initially didn't like their mood-ring-eyes trait, which I thought sounded way too gimmicky. However, I loved the creative, artistic and theatrical streak of the race, as well as their cold-weather survivalism and tenacity. In a land of snow and ice, the Vantha not only survive but flourish, creating beautiful stories and works of art. They bring color and beauty to one of the harshest, most remote areas of the continent, and that made me want to create a Vantha character first.
Last edited by Siana Skyglow on August 10th, 2010, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Siana Skyglow
Fire and ice

Words: 70143
Joined roleplay: February 18th, 2010, 11:49 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Re: Which Race Do You Play?

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on March 15th, 2010, 9:17 pm

I just started and while I was reading the races, a voice in my head claimed to be Drykas, and I always do what the voices in my head tell me or else they make my life difficult for me!
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Siiri on March 15th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Myrian ftw! Do you know we have HOT models? No wait, that's Brazil... Do you know we have the HOTTEST models around? Ask anyone! XD

Ironically, when I first browsed the race list, I was more drawn to the Dhani than anything, having just played a character of similar disposition in another game (Plus, 'D' comes before 'M', so there!). But as I read more about them. the more I thought that I'd have a harder time RPing the race since they were as widely accepted as the other races. Plus there weren't as many people playing when I started as we do now.

Then I stumbled across the Myrians. I considered the overall setting of Mizahar - a harsh place where anything and everything can and probably will kill you. There was probably a lot of lawlessness going around as well, what with all the chaos the Valterrian brought, whose effect were probably still felt all around the land even after 500 years. (In this setting, I think the words in my signature totally applies.) So I decided I wanted to have someone who could take care of him or herself, whatever the situation she might find herself in. I didn't want to play a second class citizen either. If I was going to play a Myrian, I wanted someone who's at the top of the food chain. Thus was Siiri, warrior woman and daughter of a matriarch, born.

Incidently, she invented Myrian HOTNESS. XD
Apologies to everyone I'm threading with, but it's like the Danaides for me right now.
==/==
"If it doesn't solve all your problems, maybe you're not using enough of it." - Violence
Siiri
Beast of Prey

Words: 521753
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2009, 3:22 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tarot on March 15th, 2010, 10:34 pm

There isn't a Staff Account option up there! :p

This is an interesting poll for gauging the races of our active accounts. If you'd like to see a breakdown for all registered accounts, though, here it is, fresh off a database query.

Akalak 19
Akvatari3
Chaktawe5
Charoda3
Dhani18
Ethaefal9
Eypharian10
Ghost13
Human144
Human, Benshira8
Human, Drykas16
Human, Mixed10
Human, Vantha10
Isur5
Jamoura5
Kelvic58
Konti13
Mixed blood28
Myrian9
Nuit12
Pycon6
Staff account21
Symenestra10
Zith9
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Jilitse on March 15th, 2010, 11:39 pm

Wow, even the database query seems to stick to Mizahar's lore that humans have been around a long time. *nod nod*

As for me, I chose to be a Nuit. Though I did earlier consider being a Pycon (and I would still love to RP one, one day), being new here meant that I'd have to adjust to the crowd. People who I don't know and who might be skeptical of who I am.

The Nuits are complicated undead, and they've been around for a long while. Quite interesting, they are.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Aneira Haimati on March 16th, 2010, 1:43 am

What!? Where are all these hidden Dhani?!

But anyway, I chose Mixed Blood (Vantha), despite first being attracted to Eypharians and Benshirans. And now I'm attracted to pretty much every single race and wishing I had time for characters of each sort.
Aneira Haimati
Masquerade! Paper faces on parade.

Words: 31480
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2010, 12:07 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Trista on March 16th, 2010, 2:30 am

Least popular race ftw!

I um...kind of invented the Akvatari, so they do appeal to me ^_~

I'm curious -- what's the motivation for everyone who plays kelvics? They can turn into an animal, and that's kind of cool, but the whole "need someone to order them around" thing, along with the very brief lifespan, are real turn-offs for me. Obviously not for everyone though...I'd love to know why!
Trista
I can see for miles and miles and miles...

Words: 101570
Joined roleplay: August 17th, 2009, 1:08 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Siana Skyglow on March 16th, 2010, 4:19 am

I should've known Tarot could just crunch some numbers and find out even useless statistics to enjoy. :)

I agree with Trista: I'm also interested in hearing what attracts people to play Kelvics. While they're certainly an interesting race, they seem a lot more popular than I would've expected. I guess part of it could be that their need for a Master/Mistress makes a good reason for a Kelvic character's player to thread with anyone, anywhere.
Siana Skyglow
Fire and ice

Words: 70143
Joined roleplay: February 18th, 2010, 11:49 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Pua on March 16th, 2010, 1:06 pm

I was initially attracted to the Kelvics because of the diversity. In fact Pua was almost a Great Horned Owl. There are a LOT of members of the animal kingdom to choose from and the carrying over traits to human form is neat/useful.

But then Cay and Siiri tortured convinced me to join Team Cannibal and I must admit, it fits really well with who I want Pua to be. Plus Jungle dudes are hot. Yeah, that's pretty much all I have.

[/two cents]
Pua
Bald Jungle Hunk

Words: 45470
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Ashivirsthargon on March 16th, 2010, 4:22 pm

I play a Constrictor Dhani because Mizahar needed them.
Ashivirsthargon
OM NOM NOM

Words: 50270
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2010, 12:21 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Advocate (1)
Donor (1)

Next