[Fun!] Mizahar Tropes! Come write your own!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum you can find and share resources and advice for writing a post, novel or any other form of prose.

Postby Gossamer on October 8th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Mizaharian Style Tropes & Individual Character Tropes

I walked into chat today on a discussion where people were trying to pick out their own PC's trope from one of our favorite websites here on Mizahar - TVTropes. This is all well and good but when I went to find my own trope for either myself or my PC Kavala I couldn't find anything that fit exactly. I did like the Fluffy Tamer and the Seeker Archetype but either one wasn't perfect. My tamer wouldn't name anything fluffy and shes a seeker for a reason not just for universal knowledge.

So what is a trope you ask? Here's a direct quote from the TV Trope website. This is the same website where we often jokingly point the Mary Sue and the Gary Stew characters too. So... what's your trope? Do you have a mainstream one or is yours unique? Feel free to tell us about it and clearly list what character you are talking about and maybe even write your own. I'll be writing my own here shortly as well.

Trope
You've seen this somewhere before...

Merriam-Webster gives a definition of "trope" as a "figure of speech." In storytelling, a trope is just that — a conceptual figure of speech, a storytelling shorthand for a concept that the audience will recognize and understand instantly.

Above all, a trope is a convention. It can be a plot trick, a setup, a narrative structure, a character type, a linguistic idiom... you know it when you see it. Tropes are not inherently disruptive to a story; however, when the trope itself becomes intrusive, distracting the viewer rather than serving as shorthand, it has become a cliche. Bad screenwriter. No biscuit for you!

On this wiki, "trope" has the even more general meaning of a recognizable pattern — not only within the media works themselves, but also in related aspects such as the behind-the-scenes aspects of creation, the technical features of a medium, and the fan experience. Around here, it is a stunt root, as in, "That isn't really different enough from our other tropes to be separately tropeable." The tropeability of a work is referred to as its tropiness; works that are particularly tropeable are often referred to as Troperiffic.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Gossamer's Trope

Postby Gossamer on October 8th, 2011, 10:31 pm

The Crowbar

"All you need for all your problems, big, small, or Miz Related" -Cachet.

The Gossamer Trope: The Crowbar

This unassuming tool is a staple in every toolshed worldwide. Long, elegant, with two attractive functional ends, The Crowbar is perhaps one of the most overlooked items in any arsenal of tools. Functional not only as a means of tearing things down, righting wrongly placed nails, and of course calling in much needed leverage, the Crowbar is also an epic tool of self defense.

Ever had a pesky elf log onto Mizahar? Elves are completely and utterly devastated by cold iron and most crowbars are made of such things. Merely touching a crowbar to an elf sterotype will in fact cause the elf extreme pain and send them fleeing for parts cold-iron free.

In addition to its well-thought of uses, Crowbars make wonderful impromptu tools to deal with anything that might come along. Staking vampires? No problem. Dealing with poisonous snakes? Note the naturally curved end that makes a crowbar - in a pinch - a great reptile handling tool. If your short, the crowbar can make an excellent cane, and if you don't have quite enough reach the crowbar can give you the much needed extra couple of feet. Crowbars are notoriously lethal to any sort of ceramic yard art too which is important.

Being what they are, Crowbars are weather resistant, age resistant, and will not break when dropped, thrown, or used as a blunt force weapon. Gossamer is naturally and unequivocally a Crowbar Trope.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kamalia Timandre on October 9th, 2011, 9:00 am

Jen, as Gossamer, I always thought you're definitely the Iron Lady!

I have yet to see a true Iron Lady player character in Mizahar, but I hope to find one soon. Maybe there ARE Iron Ladies who are not yet in positions of power.

And look! My grandaunt is also part of that trope. She's under "Real Life" of the Iron Lady page!

Philippine senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago eats death threats for breakfast, so uncompromising she is.

I just love strong, and powerful women. :D
Kamalia Timandre
I send a hail of burning ice!

Words: 254985
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Thread (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (4) Advocate (1)

Postby Gossamer on October 10th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I can't believe none of you are making these for yourselves. It was so much fun.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Serrif Von Chatlyn on October 10th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Troupe the .50 Cal Round

(It’s the one all the way on the left)

Catchet and Serrif’s Troupe: The 50 caliber round

Many believe this round to be overkill, it isn’t practical by many standards. It is indeed impossible or impractical to refit a weapon to fire this round. Mostly because the sheer amount of force it generates will rip most weapons apart making them useless. However when it is loaded into the right weapon the results are astounding. Nothing stands a chance against the .50 caliber round. Light armor no problem! A cinderblock wall, again cake. And when it hits with it’s full relentless force nothing can nor will stand in its way. The catch is you have to have the right channel to siphon this rounds immense and almost immeasurable power through.

Just load one up into a Barret .50 caliber sniper rifle and take aim. Then watch the results. All the 50 caliber round needs is the right weapon and it will tear down and through anything you wish. Making way for anything and everything you could ever imagine.
A man either lives life as it happens to him,
meets it head-on and licks it,
or he turns his back on it and starts to wither away.
Serrif Von Chatlyn
Never mistake composure for ease

Words: 999183
Joined roleplay: February 16th, 2011, 4:13 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 4
Trailblazer (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lysander on October 10th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Instead of writing my own I threw my PCs into the closest categories.

White-Haired Pretty Boy

"Adonis is one of the main characters this thing circles around, but he does have one distressing feature. SILVER HAIR. This means nothing good can come of him. YOU KNOW THE RULE ABOUT SILVER HAIR."
— Zarla, Let's Play: Silver Chaos

If he's lucky, he's an Anti-Hero. He's much more likely to be the Lovable Traitor, a Trickster, or The Rival. But usually he's just a villain, sooner or later. He will be aloof, often speaking cryptically and ending every sentence with a flip of his hair and a smirk. If he wears glasses, they'll glow often. Or he'll be quiet and shy, barely cracking a smile, yet he'll still be able to thoroughly kick your ass. Sometimes, in recent cases, he'll show bisexual tendencies, more likely if he's the bad guy. He'll have special powers, since white hair on a young person who isn't albino is rare. Which makes you wonder about the red eyes... If he's a good guy, he'll still seem aloof most of the time.
Despite the wide range and use of Hair Colors for characters, there's an eerie specificity to the use of white (silver works too, but not blonde) hair when coupled with a handsome, vaguely effeminate face. The (usually long and rarely tied back) white hair is very frequently coupled with red eyes. This character will never be as morally set in his ways.

Within anime, this may have a cultural explanation. White skin is considered attractive in nobility and women, but glaring white is otherwise commonly associated with death.

For some reason this trope applies much more strongly in shows with predominantly male audiences than to something like shojo, where the character will still tend to be aloof, shy, or outright eerie.
White haired guys with dark skin (such as ∀ Gundam's Loran) are typically exempt, because it's often used as a simple contrasting color like blonde or red hair. Occasionally, perhaps to preserve the white=death rule, foreigners are exempt from this too.

Commonly prone to Minor Injury Overreaction. Compare with Blond Guys Are Evil and Evil Albino, which are more western alternatives of this trope. Compare and contrast with the Distaff Counterpart, the White-Haired Pretty Girl, who is less likely to be evil and more likely to be magical.

Expect a White-Haired Pretty Boy to have a good share of fangirls, or even be subjected to Misaimed Fandom.

Seemingly Profound Fool

There's a newcomer in town, and everyone agrees that he's a marvel, perhaps of Purity Sue proportions. He's friendly, well-spoken, and clearly In Charge but never throws his weight around. Everyone says he's a genius, and rumor has it that he's a chessmaster, an expert linguist, and the most sought after consultant in the country. He's a bit peculiar, but hey, as brilliant and philosophical as he is, his odd quirks must indicate just how deep he really is, right? He's the guy who is sure to know the answer when you come to him with a problem.

Except that he doesn't have the answer. In fact, he doesn't even understand the question.

Often, the most brilliant visiting expert, or most beloved substitute teacher, or most canny enemy agent is really The Fool. He's usually either a harmless imbecile or mental patient, who, simply because he has the right appearance and is at the right place at the right time, is assumed to be someone other than he actually is. Because everyone assumes that he's a genius, their odd meanderings and banalities are taken for profundities. Oddly enough, his advice is almost always spot on, because the real problems are actually very simple — so simple that everyone has been overlooking the answers all along.
Last edited by Lysander on October 10th, 2011, 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spring 90, 511 AV - Spring 1, 512 AV
Lysander
Grow up.

Words: 63829
Joined roleplay: May 25th, 2011, 7:26 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Caelum on October 10th, 2011, 8:55 pm

Gin
Caelum, Dor, Izdihar, Legion
KATIE

(insert pretty picture here)

Gin, historically referred to as “the blue demon”, is a spirit that derives its predominant flavor from juniper berries. Juniper has been considered to have medicinal properties since the cavemen realized they rathered their meat post fire. It raises in popularity during glorious revolutions and is coveted in all blind pigs (i.e., speakeasies) when the Man is bringing you down. It strangely manages to maintain its privleges following widespread allegations of law breaking and continues to be ordered by wishful young dreamers and hardened slaves of creativity despite. There are those who think it bitter and others who prefer its bite, understanding that in the end it will ignite with its hard and fast structural equations of distillery realms of inspiration previously unmapped. You can mix it with fruit or take it straight, stir it up with salt and grit or sip it out of a glittering glass. Disclaimer: Sometimes it just makes you sloppy and over huggy. On the up side, it can also get you laid.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)