Sword and Starlight (Rhuryc and Kamalia)

Sword and starlight entwine the paths of a wanderer and an exile.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Kamalia Timandre on November 24th, 2011, 3:34 am

Image he two men traveling with her had noted that it was an uneventful journey. Nature was passing on to death, heralding the advent of Morwen’s wintry embrace, but this was a welcome change to months of dreary unlife in the Island of Sahova. Where Sahova was bleak and grey, the mainland teemed alive with autumn colors, graced by Bala’s touch. The very flowers were tinged with deeper dyes, and the distant hills she crowned with purple mists. The days were mellow, and the nights were long and calm, with breezes damp and chill, and trees whispering of wistful longings. Kamalia had watched golden vine leaves fall into the moon-bathed streams, birds winging South, the windswept pines and the weeping sky. For several months of endless study and research among the undead, she had felt as if she too had become Nuit. Now she trekked through the wilderness of Sylira she felt more alive than ever, as if she had been born anew.

The colors of sunset spilled onto the forest by the time they finished setting up camp near a stream. Their wilderness guide, Bredin, worked quickly to set traps, put out a trot line for fishing, and started hunting for rabbits while there was still light enough to see. She and Cainon, a budding chandler and soap maker from Nyka, attended to their own chores by foraging for nuts, mushrooms, berries, and wild fruits, such as plum and persimmon. The Konti had learned from Bredin and Cainon a great deal about what was edible and what was not. Whenever she came back to the camp with a basketful, Bredin would toss away the bad ones, and identify which ones were ready for consumption. He taught her, for example, that if a nut was damaged, or has been bitten by a squirrel or a bird, it should not be consumed as food. She could also distinguish a few edible fungi now, like chanterelles, bay boretes, and horse mushrooms, and avoid the lethally poisonous, such as the fly agaric and the death caps. Chief among Kamalia’s tasks, however, was to provide fire before the moonrise.

Unsurprisingly, the first time Kamalia offered to employ her magic in creating campfire made her two companions exchange uneasy looks. Outside Mura, Kamalia had learned the hard way that very few trusted magic, and fewer still trusted those who commanded it. She coaxed, wheedled and even begged them into believing her that she would not turn them into llamas while they were asleep. Lighting the campfire had become a ritual that was uniquely hers, and the casting of the spell was a nightly, private celebration of her own power. At the onset of dusk, she would extend ethereal filaments of res from the palm of her hands, wrapping them around the twigs and sticks, before setting the kindling aflame. Several days had passed, and Bredin and Cainon would still pale and swallow in fear, never failing to get unnerved by the nightly spectacle. It saddened her that her fellow travelers would never learn to trust her. Kamalia conceded that they would be eager to part ways with her once they reached the fortress city of Syliras, and perhaps that was for the best.

The moon rose slowly in the sky, casting long tree-shadows into the streamside camp. Her companions slept in their tents, while she took up her harp, strumming the silvery strings beside the crackling fire. Thoughts of her homeland, the Konti Isle, populated her mind. Kamalia had traveled far since then, in ways that could not be measured by miles alone. She knew she would never forget her last glimpse of Mura: the isle gleamed like a silver tiara on a bedspread of deep blue satin, and Mura was the bright, glinting jewel at its heart. Smaller and smaller the White Isle shrunk, until it finally, wistfully vanished. Since the day she had been thrust from her island home, exiled for slaying one of her Konti sisters, Kamalia had thrown herself into this perilous mission, to learn a Lost Discipline meant to stop Sagallius’ devilry and protect all that mattered to her. In all likelihood, she would never again see her ancestral homeland. She simply realized, suddenly and forcefully, that her journey was all she had now. After she reached her long-sought goals, what then?

Kamalia had little time to ponder this troubling thought, for the faint sound of drums roused her from her reverie. They echoed from the forest nearby. On impulse, she laid her harp aside and rose from her seating. She snatched her sheathed suvai and her magic staff—the Pathfinder— before walking towards the direction of the sound. The nostalgic rhythm led her into the dark labyrinth of trees. The sorceress hurried on, but took care to muffle her movements, for she did not relish the idea of stepping into an ambush. The forest was heavy with midnight shadows. Moonlight filtering through the branches gave only enough illumination to fool her eyes into thinking they saw what was underfoot. Roots threatened to trip her at every step, and sudden dips and rises had her half-falling as her foot met nothing but air where she expected firm earth. She used her staff to guide her steps, and soon succumbed to the temptation of employing Auristics to guide her sight. The Konti wizard commanded the magic to course through her skull, before willing the sorcerous energy to gather in her eyeballs, attuning them to the aura of the area. It took most of her concentration, but she stumbled less now.

Then the scent of smoke came to her on the dancing wind, and the poignant fragrance of lilies subdued the reek of decaying leaves. There was a camp nearby, and she prayed quietly that it was not peopled by bandits. She sped her steps toward the smell of smoke, until the drums grew louder and clearer. The tempo shifted, and over the syncopated beat of drums, the flutes soared and the silvery tones of a harp wove melody into the cadence. Kamalia knew at once she had found her sisters. The song was unmistakably Kontinese, achingly familiar, with a serene yet playful melody and intricate layers of rhythm.

Kamalia crept through the shrubs towards the siren music, and crouched low at the edge of the forest, where she came upon a starlit glade. Her eyes widened at the marvel before her. There, whirling and leaping around a blazing campfire, danced four Konti maidens. Five others hung back beyond the circle, singing and strumming silvery harps, playing flutes and small drums. Each had long moon-shimmering white hair garlanded with stars, and opalescent scales that glittered in the firelight. The dancers were clad in silvery gossamer that whirled about their alabaster limbs like wisps. They were slender, fey, and held a beauty that did not quite belong in this forest. Their laughter filled the clearing with song and dream.

For a long moment, Kamalia was content only to watch. Incomplete yet heartrending memories were rushing back.

One of the starlit dancers broke free from the circle. She stood, a hand outstretched in a gesture of invitation towards Kamalia’s hiding place. “Dance with us, fair sister,” she smilingly sang in their native tongue, before whirling away back into the ring of song and firelight. The young sorceress, poised for a hasty retreat, paused to consider the invitation. She did not know how to dance. More importantly, would they welcome her in their midst had they known of her crime in the Konti Isle? A wave of longing struck her with the force of a blow. This was a rare chance to reconnect with her homeland, and she would not allow it to slip away.

Her decision made, Kamalia cast off her cloak, her suvai and her magic staff, to join the fireside fete. Clad only in a pure white robe and moonlight, the Konti wizard stepped into the circle, where the other dancers parted to make room for her. At first, she was unsure of her movements, attempting to mirror the fluid twirls and leaps of her more graceful sisters all to no avail. Many times Kamalia’s steps faltered and her cheeks grew hot. She stumbled through the dance, almost tripping over her own feet, nearly stepping on another’s. She had only a moment to gather herself before the tempo quickened. The other Konti glided around the campfire smoothly, their skirts swirling about them; Kamalia almost fell to break her nose. The too-beautiful Konti who had invited her into the clearing gave her a sympathetic smile, which made it rather worse, before helping her up to her feet.

One of the dancers ran into a tree with an audible “Oof!” and fell to her rump. Every jaw dropped, and to Kamalia’s astonishment, the pale-haired women began to laugh. The moment was an epiphany to the young sorceress. She no longer remembered the ways of her people. How long ago had she forgotten to live in peace and joy beneath the moon and sea? How much of her heritage, the inner calm that was Avalis’ gift, and the passion for freedom that was Laviku’s, did she abandon to pursue this quest for power? Was she Konti still, or had she become a fair-skinned human with scales and gills?

The dance resumed, and this time Kamalia let go of her inhibitions. Soon, she was dancing to the whispers of the wind, to the rhythm of the sea, and to the song of her life. She ran through life at a pace few could follow, yet this moment had caught her. All eyes were upon her as she stamped a counterpoint to the drums, and her arms moved in an intricate weave. One by one, her sisters joined in, and they fell easily into the flow and pattern of Kamalia’s dance.

She was pleased to discover she had not forgotten this emotion. She had never felt so free, so overwhelmed. She had never felt so alive! The air, too, was alive, and it whirled about her in a jubilant rush. Kamalia stretched her arms out wide and swayed to the dancing wind. The sorceress resisted, just barely, to toss off her raiment and let the whimsical breezes play over her skin. She leaped and spun and swayed until at last the music ended. Nothing that beautiful and painful could last forever.

The woman who had welcomed her stepped forward and dipped to one knee, arms wide open in a gesture of welcome. “Oceans guard you, fair sister. I am Lekarra, daughter of Shilen, daughter of Kalinda. These are my friends, maidens of the Suvai, summoned together by our Call. Our glade and fire are yours, for as long as you are willing to share them. What are you called?”

Kamalia responded with a gesture of her own, on one knee and bowing her head slightly, both hands over her heart. “May the Seer light your path, fairer sister. I am Kamalia, daughter of Nokomis, daughter of Shahal. I am a traveler, and a student of magic and the Ancient Tongue.”

“Timandre?” One of the silver-haired females asked.

So they knew. Kamalia nodded almost uncertainly. The women exchanged glances, and they appeared as if they wanted to ask more were it not for the calm, silencing gaze Lekarra sent them. She had expected fear or revulsion, but they showed none.

There was compassion in Lekarra’s eyes as she rose and smiled at her. “A star shines upon the bell of our meeting. You have journeyed far and long, far from home,” she said melodiously, and Kamalia knew she did not mean distance. She helped the sorceress to her feet, and gave her a brief sisterly embrace. “Share with us our midnight feast, as you have shared with us your dance. And then we can exchange stories.”

Kamalia, still dazed by the quick succession of the events, allowed Lekarra to lead her to the fireside. One of the songstresses was softly playing the harp, intoning a thankful prayer to Avalis. The other women sat and talked and laughed, passing around bowls of bamboo-cooked steamed rice, topped by spiced mushrooms and river sole meat. She had missed the comfortable, unguarded air about her people, and the effortless sisterly bonds that few humans could fathom and reproduce. For a while, she was content to observe, sipping from her cup of gleaming Konti wine. She asked them about the recent events in Mura, about their Call, and their destinations. When it was their turn to ask, they were full of questions about the places Kamalia had traveled, her adventures, and her work as a wizard. But most of all, her grand quest. She had deliberately left out the names and the details, not because she did not trust them, but because she worried about their safety.

“Who is this dark god you seek to defeat? And to what end?” asked Lekarra softly.

“I cannot tell you. Perhaps it is safer this way, for he may have eyes and ears everywhere. He pulls a thousand strings and weaves more. He seeks to ascend his rank in the pantheon, and become the god of magic. And if he is left unopposed, he will achieve it,” for he has done it before, Kamalia thought, but did not risk to say it aloud. Sagallius the Puppeteer, Sagallius the Benshira, Sagallius the Usuper.

“Long before the dawn of our race, there are myths that tell of an ancient god whose domain was magic and wisdom,” Lekarra said serenely.

“And that god has been vanquished by other deities for a reason,” the sorceress said softly. “A god of magic, let alone an insane one, would threaten the very foundations of our world. What would become of magic and its wielders if a wayward god seizes that crown? What new designs would he amend upon the laws of djed?”

“And is magic so important to you? You have your Sight and your Suvai. You may learn new weapons, new ways.”

“My magic is my life! I cannot just forsake what I have learned throughout my existence,” Kamalia said passionately. “It may only mean some kind of weapon to you, but to me, without it, it is akin to being a dancer without feet, or a seer without Sight."

Compassion crossed Lekarra’s face. “Forgive me, sister. I meant no disrespect.”

“None was perceived, sister,” Kamalia sighed. “Not that I have much choice. Were I to abandon magic now, so would my thirst for it grow. A cancer writhes within my heart that cannot be cured by the healing hands of the Opal Order,” she said, referring to the magic that had grown sentient inside her, an effect of severe Overgiving.

“If it is a mission so dangerous, why do you not seek the wisdom of the Grandmothers Circle? Surely they would know what to do,” another Konti asked. It was said that the Grandmothers communed with the gods and goddesses.

“I cannot,” Kamalia said sadly. No matter how hard she tried to be resolute about her quest, tempting images kept flashing through her head: her mother and her sisters, the glimmering lake and the silver woods, the call of the ocean, glade and starlight, song and dance. Gromhir. It had been a good life; she had once looked longingly beyond the seas, dreaming of distant lands. How narrow and little that ambition seemed now. For as long as she lived, Kamalia swore to protect all that mattered to her from the cords of Sagallius. “I have brought this foolishly upon myself. I cannot let the Grandmothers get involved in this. I have done something that marked my existence a threat to him, and I am left with no choice but to face what I must. Even now, I know he and his followers are looking for me. But I am not alone in this ordeal; there are others who seek his end, and that is why I am headed toward Syliras.”

“You are not alone,” Lekarra rose, and gently took Kamalia’s hands in her own. “We are sisters. If you come with us, our suvai can protect you.”

Kamalia smiled regretfully, but before she was able to voice her decline, Lekarra’s smile suddenly faded.

“A storm comes,” she said firmly. All the Konti froze. “Brace yourselves.”
Kamalia Timandre
I send a hail of burning ice!

Words: 254985
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 8:37 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Thread (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (4) Advocate (1)

Postby Rhuryc on December 6th, 2011, 8:41 am

Roads go ever, ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;

Rhuryc's baritone followed him down the off beaten path, the rich tones of his voice lifting into the air in song with his avian companions. The clank and clatter of his pack made for a sustainable beat, holding the melodic rhythm of his song as his coat swayed in time with his feet. Despite the dusk, the fellow was content to continue on his way, accompanied by his own jovial tune. He wore a slight smile upon his countenance; content, spurred onward by his routine of distraction. No matter that his legs were sore. There was a world to see.

Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of Sum,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains of the moon.

He was a queer fellow for such company. The local fauna made a habit of ignoring the swordsmen, clad as he was in all sorts of noise making hi-jinks. Leathers kept his flesh concealed, gloves, a hefty, long tailed coat, set above a worn tunic and breaches beset by dirt and travel. At his side rested a sheathed bastard sword and on his back, beneath the assorted gear, a steel shield lay strapped to a single shoulder.

His song came to an unfortunate end. Rhuryc frowned when he heard it; men screaming, the screams of metal against metal, the music of death. He swiveled his head about and set his gaze on the direction of the battle. For moments he stood, waiting, weighing, his mind set in indecision. Damn it all. With a dissatisfied grunt, the man pulled his sword from its sheath and set his pack along the side of the road before latching the steel disk to his left arm. Better all if he was just to mind his own business. No matter. With all the dexterity he could muster, Rhuryc moved forward, wading into depths unknown.

Beneath the heavy forest canopy he was hidden enough. Rhuryc stalked his way through the stray brush, avoiding the autumn leaves as best he could. He took to walking on the roots of trees when he could, keeping his head down and torso low in some haphazard effort of stealth. It was not long before he saw them. Two men, both with bows on the edge of a clearing, both too involved in the scene before them to notice Rhuryc. Nearby, a mass of horses had been corralled and tied to various branches; but, that gave him little insight. Was that screaming he heard? From just beyond the bowmen he could make out women. Silvered haired. Konti? Slavers? Damn it all. He watched as one of the women was taken over the head with a club. And that was all he needed.

The thud of his boots drew their attention. By the time either man could react, Rhuryc's shield found itself at the worse end of man's face while the other took the hilt of his blade to the temple. Both hit the ground with sickening clatter. He jumped out into the clearing and took immediate stock of the situation. Damn, there so many. He counted ten. Twelve? A few were writhing on the ground, but the sisters were outnumbered, outmaneuvered, and no doubt there were more. Best not to waste any time then.
Last edited by Rhuryc on December 10th, 2011, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Words: 466305
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2010, 7:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kamalia Timandre on December 9th, 2011, 10:11 am

“Brace yourselves,” Lekarra repeated. Her voice was hushed, and her face rapt, attentive. Suddenly, she held up a hand, a simple commanding gesture that spurred all the Konti to leap into action. The maidens of the glade quickly, but noiselessly, retrieved their weapons: poisonous Suvai, three-pronged whalebone knives that tend to weaken their target until they were fully paralyzed, and long bows crafted from white vianwood. Kamalia snatched her staff and suvai scabbard from her discarded cloak, and rushed to Lekarra’s side.

“A storm is upon us,” Lekarra said calmly, as if they were in no danger at all. In one fluid motion, she unsheathed both her suvai, twirling them dexterously in the air, before assuming a complex stance. “Your magic will be worth ten blades in this battle, and we would welcome ten blades more on our side.”

“We are sisters,” Kamalia replied serenely, before she turned to face the foreboding darkness of the forest. Chanting softly in Nader-Canoch, the Konti wizard channeled magic into her eyeballs. Rivulets of djed coursed through her cranium, allowing her to synchronize her mind with any aura that moved within the shadows. Opening her Auristic sight took all her concentration. She could see slight disturbances, ripples in the blackness, yet her magic-senses failed to pick out the details that would inform her exactly where their enemies prowled. She was hoping to take them by surprise, but that was no longer an option.

So be it.

Kamalia released the djed from her eyes. She cast a sidelong glance toward her sisters. The suvai warriors visibly tensed for battle, and the archers notched silver-tipped arrows as long as their arms, ready to shoot anything that would jump out of the forest shadows.

Marshalling the discipline of her wizardly training, Kamalia closed her eyes and concentrated on shaping her next spell. She held the staff aloft, while the fingers of her free hand fluttered in the air. In a rich soprano, the sorceress sang the words of magic, and all the Konti listened intently to the spellsong echoing through the moonlit glade. The lyrics were lost to them, however, as they were intoned in the Ancient Tongue. Magic called to her, whispering dark, seductive promises as djed streamed through her veins and engulfed her being in a spell-induced euphoria. She wove res from her hands, like wisps of silver smoke, before swinging the Pathfinder overhead, willing the ethereal strands to spread around the fire-lit circle.

And then arrows whistled through the air from the surrounding woods. Kamalia’s heart leapt and her eyes opened, and in a single heartbeat, she shouted a single spellword that converted the woven res into pressurized gusts of air, misdirecting the momentum of the arrows. Kamalia was whirling her carved staff above her head, spinning it with both hands, as the volley of arrows fell to the conjured dome of wind.

Shouts and cries filled the glade as armed men charged from the edge of the forest towards the waiting Konti. Slavers, Kamalia thought with disgust.

“To the fray, sisters! To the fray!” Lekarra cried in a powerful alto. “Avalis, guide my feet and my suvai!”

And then the Konti and the humans were upon each other. The slavers lunged at the Konti with lightning-fast thrusts and slashes, while the suvai dancers swept away their attacks with twirling, sinuous swings. They were badly outnumbered, and Kamalia felt anger blaze in her heart as one of the sisters fell to a slaver’s club.

Hoping to escape attention, she did not join the battle, and instead crept towards the blazing campfire. She raised her staff, and stabbed it down to the earth. Kamalia dropped to one knee, arms extended towards the flames, palms outstretched, as she hummed a spellsong anew.
Kamalia Timandre

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rhuryc on January 7th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Outnumbered. Why was he always outnumbered? Blast.

Blade met flesh. A stream of red splashed Rhuryc's face with a sickening warmth, the life blood of his foe taken as the day's trophy. Silhouetted against the faint light of the moon and the roaring fire he was a bastion of violence and death. An unseen element, the warrior ripped his way through the tide of bandits, steel and iron flashing in the night among the screams and echoing clashes. It was not long until his presence demanded attention.

They came in groups. The first diverted their intent away from the Konti in a rush to halt their aggressor, two men descending with weapons bore for the kill. Rhuryc never stopped his advance. He made his way across the field in a steady, deliberate manner. The tail of his coat flared out behind him when they met, revealing the unarmored form beneath. Reckless, and possibly insane. His blade came about. Metal met its kin and the brawl was on. In rapid succession the dual swords slammed against one another, sweeping across the ragged edges before Rhuryc drew himself in, his shoulder leading a spin while he came across the body of his opponent and slid his weapon through an exposed side. His shield came next, the edge taking the second man in the center of his face and sending him spiraling to the ground.

He paused long enough to look. Everywhere around him women were falling. They were losing, and fast. Damn it all, there were far to many to fend off. It was then that he noticed her. A lone Konti behind the fire, crouched, engaged in what maybe have been a prayer. If he was going to save anyone, that was her. His advanced continued.

Another man groaned as Rhuryc swept his blade beneath an offending weapon and shoved his shield into his chest, a foot coming after and knocking the bandit aside. His trek never ceased, never faulted, he steadily made his way to the fire and stepped around the edge. There he ducked a wildly flung axe, his body brought low and shield raised high as it caught the fool in the chin. Rhuryc lowered his shoulder and shoved himself into the offender, lifting him up and over and discarding him in the mass of the bonfire.

He screamed.

"Get up." Rhuryc closed in behind the form of Kamalia and turned his vision about, watching for any more of the slavers. He felt strange. Something was odd about this woman; maybe it was the lack of panic, the calm demeanor she held. His gut told him to move on.

"Come on, woman, prayer won't do you any good here." His baritone was harsh and low, though somehow it cut through the clamor of battle. How strange.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kamalia Timandre on January 29th, 2012, 9:44 pm

And thus Kamalia sang her spell in a contralto dark as it was unknowable. Screams filled the glade as one by one her sisters fell to the arrows and maces of the slavers. The men did not intend to massacre the Konti, for their lives were far too valuable to waste. They only meant to weaken them enough that they may take them as captives. A darker, more sinister fate than death awaited those whom they did capture. These sickening thoughts angered Kamalia, and she channeled her fury to intensify her spell. Emotions were the province of Ivak, after all.

Liquid magic coursed through her veins as her song gathered in tempo and power. Each shout and each cry from the Konti sisterhood served to give might to her magic. Her heart teetered upon a threshold between rage and serenity, flame and ice, shadow and light, and she was thorough in maintaining that delicate balance. Soon she was once again weaving silvery smoky cords of res with her fingers. The cords extended from the palm of her hands to encircle the blazing campfire in a convoluted helix. By the time a man, who appeared more like a knight than a slaver, turned up and urged her to stand up, Kamalia was halfway through the motions of the elaborate spell.

“Be quiet,” she admonished calmly. They might as well have been in a library, not in a battlefield. “I might lose my hold upon my magic, and you would not want that.”

The Konti rose in a whisper of silk and the tinkle of silver. With one hand she pulled the staff from the ground and raised it aloft in the air, while the other danced in graceful complex gestures that must have taken years of practice. Her fiery soprano rose above the sounds of the battle. When the spellsong reached the highest note, the campfire crackled and roared. She flung her arms skyward, holding the staff high, and then as if the campfire obeyed her command, blazing columns of white-hot flames leaped from it to engulf the approaching slavers in burning pillars. The sorceress visibly struggled, for the whites of her eyes turned blood-shut, and her arms trembled uncontrollably, but she was determined to save her sisters from these filthy humans at whatever cost.
Kamalia Timandre

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rhuryc on February 6th, 2012, 11:31 pm

That was not a prayer.

Rhuryc stalled. He stared in stark horror at the sudden spasm of flames, the ferocious, vicious terror taking to the glade and sundering anything in its path. Men screamed in horror, several fled, even the Konti veered away from the destruction. The once darkened sky was flood with the fires of rage, lit for all too partake in what was to become a massacre. No one, not even slavers, deserved to suffer such a fate.

His knuckles whitened around the hilt of his blade. Close now, Rhuryc stepped forward behind the woman and raised his sword. There was a loud, sickening thud as he slammed the hilt of Naravane into the back of the Konti's head. There was a sudden lapse of action. Unsure, both sides of the conflict crept out, waiting for the resounding storm to return. They were met with only silence. Yet, while the battle remained subdued, Rhuryc was fast to move. He sheathed his blade and slipped down, scooped up the Knoti and hoisted her over a shoulder.

He may as well have been one of the kidnappers himself. Shiftily, he stalked his way out of the mess of slavers and silver haired maidens, utilizing the precious little time he had while the lot of them recovered. Maybe some of the Konti could escape on their own. Blast it all. He hoofed it until he reached the tree line and he passed through the slavers' perimeter. Free from the offensive, Rhuryc slung his shield over his free shoulder and shifted the small woman in his arms, bringing her around to his chest. He paused, if just for a moment, and glanced down at her form.

Konti. Was there a single one that was not beautiful? His gaze did not linger, but for those few moments he found himself taken by the fabled legend of the feminine race. Smooth, alluring, it would be so easy to succumb to the temptation. He grunted. Idiot. Annoyed with himself, Rhuryc continued through the mass of foliage and low-hanging trees, covered by the blessing of darkness to where he had left his supplies.

"You're a fool." He muttered to no one.

Hours passed. Rhuryc had put as much distance as he could between himself and the bandits before he halted and set-up camp, albeit the term was loose in this case. The man did little more than find a suitable tree to lay the Konti against and had taken his own vigil nearby, standing with both his sword and shield out in the inevitable event of a disturbance. So far they were lucky. Over the woman was a snug, warm blanket and her head had been propped up against Rhuryc's pack. At her side was a water flask and some stale rations - the least he could do, considering he had knocked her cold.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Kamalia Timandre on April 29th, 2012, 8:50 pm

She swam in a world of swords and starlight, smoke and shadows, song and screams, and searing infernos. And then her world collapsed as pain erupted at the rear of her cranium. Darkness embraced her, and she embraced it in return, seeking compromise before silence reigned. The firestorms had winked out, replaced by shady simulacrums of trees and a large man’s silhouette. Was he a knight? The maiden half-dreamed that the knight carried her fragile form in his arms. For a fleeting moment, his strength promised her safety and shelter, but how she yearned to advise the shadow that she was no helpless damsel, that he was rescuing the wrong woman. Try as she might, her lips conspired against her will. She conceded that, maybe, she could borrow his strength for now. Just for now.

And then she surrendered to dreamless slumber.

Asleep, the Konti looked tiny, fragile—utterly unlike the fierce, powerful being who channeled such fearsome magic just moments ago. Filtered moon-rays illumined the silvery-white locks that framed her youthful face. Have the stars lost cognizance of time? Bells must have passed until the Konti finally opened her eyes. The force of whatever had hit her left the rear side of her skull sore and her temples aching. She sat up, massaging the back of her head, while her eyes took in her surroundings and her mind hastily worked to piece together the sequence of events.

In a quick silent prayer, Kamalia called out to the Goddess of Seers, thankful that she still breathed. She suddenly became aware that she was not alone, and her eyes darted to the knightly figure standing vigil nearby, his back turned towards her.

The Konti concentrated, summoning the divine magic of her gnosis mark and shutting out the sounds of the woods that she may commune with her goddess. And Avalis had answered. Kamalia was pulled away from her body, diving into to the cosmos of dreams and memories, and tapping into the knight’s chavi, where his memories were housed. The Chavena was where all truths were anchored, where luminous strands formed complex geometric shapes that danced and undulated to the rhythm of the world. Each strand in his chavi was linked to his soul like an umbilical cord, weaving an elaborate fabric of colorful energies. Filaments containing fragments of his past glimmered before her, but the Konti was only interested in his most recent memory.

She sought the newest strand to decipher the moments before the campfire bloodbath, where she watched him intone a strange human song. This memory was still fresh and vivid. She watched the dream unfold, when the man rushed into the battlefield, fighting his way toward her all the while she was deep in her spellcasting trance. To her surprise—and horror—it was he who had knocked her off unconscious by slamming the hilt of his sword into the back of her head. The Pathfinder had fallen out of her grasp. He scooped her up, before running off into the woods. The vision flickered and she slipped back into the material world, shocked and dumbfounded. The whole process might have seemed like hours in the Chavena, but it took only a matter of chimes in the physical realm.

She fastened her eyes upon him. Her lips tried to form words, but no voice came. So drained was she that her parched throat caught every word like a salve before given any chance of escape. She reached for the water flask at her side and imbibed from it, and then drizzled driblets of liquid onto her skin. Converting res into fire magic always made her body temperature rise to feverish levels.

“Ignorance alone separates you from them,” she said icily, referring to the slavers. “Good intent matters not when you sacrifice many for one."

She rose from where she lay. “I cannot tarry here,” her serene voice almost exuded a sense of urgency, yet her eyes seemed cold and impassive. “I must see that my sisters are safe. And you are coming with me."
Kamalia Timandre

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Paragon on June 12th, 2012, 12:54 am

Adventurer's Loot

Kamalia's Loot :
Kamalia

Skill XP Reward
Wilderness Survival +2
Reimancy +2
Auristics +3
Harp +1
Dancing +2
Singing +2
Tactics +2
Rhetoric +1
Observation +1
Stealth +1

Lore: Edible Flora in Syliran Wilderness, Reconnection and Homesickness, Dance of Moonlit Revelry, What Have I Become?

Items or Consequences: Nil

Lovely. I always enjoy reading your threads as your writing is so beautiful. Let me know if Rhuryc returns and you need me to remove this so you can resume the thread - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, don't hesitate to PM me.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Verilian on July 31st, 2013, 4:42 pm

Thread Award

Rhuryc Naravane

• +1 Singing
  • +1 Observation
  • +1 Stealth
  • +1 Longsword

You Question My Logic? :
Not a whole lot I can award here.. but if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Lores: Saving Slavers and Konti from a Fiery Death,

Notes: Well, it's too bad the thread had to end. It seemed like it was going to be an interesting one. Oh, well. Enjoy your grade, and keep writing!

Notice

As per the request of the Founders, threads cannot be graded unless your CS is up to date. This means you need to add threads to your thread list when you make new threads, keep your skills up to date, ledger, living expenses, ect. If you aren't up to date, you'll get a PM from me before i grade your thread. If you are up to date, disregard this notice.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)