[The Strangers Welcome] Your A Sight For Sore Eyes (Veldrys)

Lena just begins work at the Stranger, and runs into an interesting customer.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Lena Estelain on October 12th, 2011, 8:15 am

For nearly all Denvali, information was as good as silver and gold. All anyone ever talked about was what they heard from this traveler, or who just came into town. Most of it was glorified gossip, and Lena hated gossip. couldn't stand the lies or misinformation that got mixed in. She was all about hearing it from the source. So when Veldrys told her about his people. Her eyebrows went up and her smile widened. She felt like she was getting the inside scoop of his race, and thought about going to her mothers farm to share the news. Tensions were rough with her mother, but she could always talk about cute boys.

She was thinking about the hanging city when he continued on about his interest of history. Educated men where so cute. They always reminded her of her father. Veldrys was far from her dad in ways of looks, but his personality was similar. Calm, respectful and well spoken.

His last statement took her by surprise. She took a drink of her wine thinking it over. Letting the warmth spread throughout her chest. Then poured him another cup. ”I don't know if you have seen the customers around here darlin, but not getting drunk would be an insult.” She paused, pouring her self a little more wine. ”You know I don't mind what you are sweetheart.” She placed a warm hand on his and smiled. Her heart was in her throat but that never stopped her. She was made of rocks and dirt. She was Evelyn's child and suckled on confidence mixed with milk.

”We Denvali don't judge, we gossip wickedly but that's because we have nothing better to do. Besides, your a sweet heart, no matter your race.” She didn't know if he was feeling bad about his race, but it seemed plain enough. Maybe he needed to hear some reassuring words? A woman's touch went a long way... She remembered her hand on his and blushed. She fidgeted with her bandana and smiled slightly embarrassed.
Lena Estelain
Made Of Dirt And Stones"

Words: 31809
Joined roleplay: June 12th, 2011, 9:56 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Veldrys on October 29th, 2011, 8:14 pm

As Lena made a remark about her customers, the Symenestra turned around and watched the people around him for a while as if he really hadn’t paid particular attention to them before. They did indeed seem to have a certain love for alcohol. „I’ve never been drunk“, he confessed. „I have drunk a little more than I should have before, but I’ve never been drunk enough to pass out or forget who I am. Would you still think not getting drunk would be an insult, if I started to sing and dance and scream insults in a language that nobody understands?“

As she called him sweetheart, the Symenestra smiled softly. Of course she probably said this to a lot of customers, but still, he liked it. It was foolish for a human woman to be a nice to a member of a race that had caused her kind so much pain, but he just couldn’t tell her that. Her hand was warm, and there was a bit of blush on her face. She also seemed to be a bit embarrassed, but he still couldn’t figure out why. Since he didn’t know how to react to that slightly embarrassed smile, he took a sip from his cup of wine.

„Wicked gossip?“ he asked and arched an eyebrow. „What kind of gossip is there in Denval? I’m sure that a woman like you who works in a tavern knows a lot.“
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lena Estelain on November 14th, 2011, 6:41 am

”You haven't heard? Gossip is the best thing about Denval.” She smiled and ran her fingers on the top oh his hand. ”Well it isn't the best thing here. There are plenty of other, much more engaging things... Denvali's like to do. But I'm sure such a pious man. Like yourself, has been to the Temple of Nikali.” She was feeling a little wicked tonight and it showed. Maybe it was the wine, but she was feeling... warmer than usual. ”But we are talking about gossip aren't we. Well...” She leaned in a little closer. They are saying that the little red headed girl that sells fruit at the market. Is dating a cute little red headed boy. I forgot his name. Nake or something like that. It doesn't matter. The thing that IS important. Is that they both have the same beautiful red golden locks. Lena smiled and twirled one of her bangs. Much like mine, but far lighter. I have always been jealous, but... not so much anymore. As you might of already guessed. It's rare for two people to have the exact same color hair. The girl thought it was a good sign and that they would have beautiful ginger babies.

But! It turns out. That the reason they have the same lovely hair. Was because they are brother and sisters!
She laughed while taking a sip of her wine, still leaning in close. Most people didn't care about others gossiping. Mostly because they themselves where doing it. But she liked being close to Veldrys. He was so cute when he blushed. Her own cheeks where bright red from laughing. But he was pale as well. So it shone brightly on his skin. ”The boy Nake, or something. Was given away at birth when he was just a babe. The fruit girl never knew! And they kept their love from their parents, so they wouldn't know they where poking around before marriage. And when they finally told them! Well you can guess how well that went. Small world eh!” When her fits of laughter settled. She sighed and leaned back in her chair. Wiping tears from the corner of her eyes.

”They separated the two. Obviously, but she is with child. So everyone is excited to see what comes of that!.” Another wave of laughter came over her and she peed a little because of it. Then laughed more because she peed. It was a vicious cycle. ”Gods be good, I'm sorry.” She said between laughs. ”It's mean for me to laugh, I know. But its amazing how stupid they where. Denval is so small, we are all practically related. We even have blood mages to make sure you aren't marrying a cousin! You don't go petching someone that looks just like you! She couldn't help herself and started laughing again. It was the wine that made her comfortable enough to snort and giggle in front of Veldrys, but she didn't give a petch. She was enjoying herself dammit! And if he didn't like her robust laughter. To hell with him!
Lena Estelain
Made Of Dirt And Stones"

Character sheet

Postby Veldrys on November 15th, 2011, 7:05 am

„It is?“ Veldrys asked as Lena claimed that gossip was the best thing about Denval. He arched an eyebrow, and his eyes shimmered with amusement. As she mentioned the Temple of Nikali, he couldn’t help but blush a little bit. He had been there, with the Kelvic Lucette. She had made him forget everything that troubled him for a while, but he didn’t want Lena to know that. For some reason he was reluctant to talk about his experiences in the Temple of Nikali with another woman, even if she was just a waitress and had no real connection to him. It just didn’t seem right. So he conconetrated on the gossip and hoped that she hadn’t noticed his reaction.

The story she told him didn’t seem to be in any way special. It was just another love story, like a million others that happened all over Mizahar – until she revealed why the boy and the girl had red hair. „They were brother and sister?“ he asked because he needed to make sure that he had heard correctly. His eyes widened. Unlike Lena he didn’t laugh. There was nothing remotely funny about the story. It had all the ingredients of a tragedy. Forbidden love, he knew that so well. He knew what it was like to only cause pain with your love. A Symenestra who fell in love would only ever hurt the woman he fell in love with.

„And she’s with child?“ He furrowed his brow. „Really? Did she already visit the Chaplain of Viratas? Do you know? He might be able to purify the baby’s blood so that it is healthy. Children born from such unions are often weak, and sometimes there is something wrong with their mind as well..“ That was the doctor in him talking. He couldn’t help it. When he was faced with a medical problem, he couldn’t ignore it.

Lena’s behaviour didn’t make any sense to him at all. She was laughing even louder than before now. Of course it was great when somebody was comfortable enough in the presence of a Symenestra to laugh, but still ... she seemed a little insane right now. He could only stare at her. „Well, of course you don’t go petching somebody that looks just like you“, he agreed, in a somwhat dry tone of voice. „But why are you laughing? Do humans find things like that funny?“ He looked at her. He was a little confused right now.
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lena Estelain on November 28th, 2011, 3:38 am

Veldrys seemed to wither as she continued to laugh and joke. By the time she noticed. he looked confused and possibly offended. She felt like a fool. Of course this forienger wouldn't understand. He wasn't even human how could he? She smiled nervously. Not knowing what to say. "It doesn't matter sweet heart. i don't want to confuse you further." Lena took another sip of her wine and looked around. The place had cleared out. Except for a few regulars who worked graveyard duties or didn't think they where nearly drunk enough.

"How about we go for a walk? Its slow in here and i need some fresh air." She got up stretching her back. And grunting in a very unfemanine way. Which made her giggle. When did she forget how to be a girl? It was probably her mother's fault. Evelyn came home with blisters on her hands and dirt on her face. Every day without fail. Could hold her liquor with the best of them. And spit farther than any of her brothers. She was a terrible role model for femanine behavior.

"How about you meet me outside. I gotta let Oleg know where I'm going." She gave him a smile and touched his shoulder affectionately. "You don't have a choice by the way." Chuckling, she walked off towards the bar.
Lena Estelain
Made Of Dirt And Stones"

Character sheet

Postby Veldrys on December 2nd, 2011, 8:33 pm

As Lena told him that it didn’t matter, the Symenestra looked at her incredulously. How could she say that it didn’t matter? She had just told him about two siblings that had fallen in love! Of course it mattered! „I hope the two are alright“, he murmurred and emptied his wine. That seemed to be the best thing to do right now since he was facing a waitress that didn’t seem to be completely right in the head and was laughing at things that weren’t funny. He was half tempted to get Lena to reveal their names to him so that he could visit them – as a healer it was his duty to take care of such things – but then she didn’t look as if she wanted to talk about the matter further.

„Let us go for a walk“, he agreed. Maybe Lena was just a little drunk, he decided. In that case a bit of fresh air would help her – and him. He had definitely begun to feel a little strange. He just hoped that Lena wouldn’t pass out or hurt herself. And what about that grunt – and the touch on his shoulder? What did she want from him now? Didn’t she know that it was dangerous to act like that around a Symenestra? He could have been one of those that would take advantage of her and then proceed to drag her all the way to Kalinor!

Regardless of his rather ambivalent opinion of her he let her know, „I’ll be waiting for you in front of the door.“ He didn’t want to leave her alone when she was in such an odd mood, even though she seemed to be intent on telling stories that only another human could possibly find funny. And thus he made his way to the door. When she came, she would find him leaning against the wall, still looking a bit confused.
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lena Estelain on December 14th, 2011, 9:03 am

Gods, why am I so stupid?. She walked past the bar doors. Feeling the heat rise in her cheeks. Had she been around drunks and sailors so much, that she forgot how the rest of the world behaved? Embarrassment crept into her chest. This is exactly why she never made friends with non Denvali. People here knew her. Knew her humor and personality. And she knew theirs. Knew who to avoid. And what conversations to keep to yourself. Veldrys was cute, but he was as foreign as they came.

"Petch." She muttered. Trying to gather her thoughts. She tried to remember what Lilian had taught her. "Women are supposed to be an ornament to the eye. Not an ache to the ear." Gods she hated Lilian at times. And the little sayings that came from her prissy little mouth. She was not about to quiet herself for someone she hardly knew. But she could watch her tongue a little more.

After she told Oleg she was revealing herself for the night. She met Veldrys outside. It was the beginning of summer, but it was also Denval. The night air had bite to it. But it didn't bother her. A couple bells from now and she would of been waking up to work the fields with her mother.

"I was thinking about a walk around the Quay. It's lovely this time of night." The ocean was always beautiful in her opinion, but never as much as on a cloudless night. With the moonlight shimmering on the water. As a child the ocean captivated her imagination. As she pictured herself traveling to all the different cities of the world. Sailing alongside her brother.

"I always used to played around in the Quay. Rough housing with the boys my age." She smiled at the fond memories and her own ability to keep her tongue in a mild state of check. "What was your favorite place to play as a boy? A hanging city in a cave would of had me going nuts. I could never keep still for long."
Lena Estelain
Made Of Dirt And Stones"

Character sheet

Previous