[Mirror Lake] In Lack of a Tide (Oluse)

Oluse runs into Kendall at Mirror Lake... quite literally.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Kendall Saarinen on January 5th, 2012, 12:45 am

5th of Winter, 511 AV

The locals had spoken about a lake in the city. People ice skated there and one could even get a small snack if they wanted. He was not sure if he wanted to skate but he did want to see the place. He had heard it was beautiful and it had to be with a name like Mirror Lake.

Since Kendall did not plan on skating he decided he would meditate. Hadrian was always trying to get him to meditate more often but sadly, he seemed to be very easily distracted.

He had brought along a blanket with him. He had an idea. Meditate in order to make a shield, shield the blanket from moisture, then sit on it and meditate more. Of course, he hoped he could do all of that but one never knew until they tried.

When Kendall arrived at Mirror Lake, he was taken aback by it's beauty. He should have come here sooner to meditate. He carried his blanket over to the edge of the lake and closed his eyes, trying to calm his thoughts. He listened to the wind and the scraping of skates on the ice. After his thoughts had cleared a bit, he opened his eyes and unrolled the blanket. He focused on his Djed, letting it slowly surround his hand. Once he was able to get the Djed to flow from him, he focused on getting it to surround the blanket. He thought of things that kept out snow. Brick, metals, anything to help with the tasking of his shield. Slowly, the shield started to appear around the blanket, making it safe to lay on the snow.

Once the blanket's shield was fully formed and laid down, Kendall sat down on top of it and closed his eyes once more. He breathed in, trying to rid his mind of his worries. He breathed out, trying to let said worries escape his mouth and fly off into the wind. Slowly he was relaxing. The cold was a bit bothersome and of course his use of the shield would tire him out but for now he was content in his meditation.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Oluse on January 5th, 2012, 3:50 am

He envied the grace and beauty the expert skaters displayed as they danced across mirror lake. He watched for nearly an entire ring when he first witnessed them. They reminded him of the ocean, water welling toward the shore, momentum fueling elegant splashes off rocks, ending in animated sprays of light foam. Even the ice here looked like water. All of this beauty inspired him to give it a try. After renting out a pair of skates (realizing that his feet were getting bigger!) he was on his way. Down.

Yes, down. If the native Vani were like rolling ocean waves, he was like a thick drop of falling rain. He hadn't considered how difficult it would be to modify the structure of his bipedal nature, by reducing the surface area of his feet about twenty times. Silly him. By the time he had learned to stay upright without something to hold onto he was well into the morning. He had to be impressed with his own consistency, however, he had found yet another thing to add to his very long list of activities he harnessed absolutely no natural aptitude for.

However, with perseverance he discovered a trick to staying upright, move. Turning still proved a challenge, but he figured if stability came with speed, turning must as well. He kept challenging himself for some time, trying to build up speed, and get over the very innate fear of capsizing. It was about noon by the time he had built up a little more confidence, mostly due to his relocation to a slightly quieter part of the lake, with as far as he could see no observers. A somewhat of a failed assumption at that. As he soon came to the crashing realization of.

He had quite a bit of speed going, his goal in fact. Now with what he felt must be a sufficient amount of speed he began to first real attempt to turn! Focusing his eyes before him he moved an arm to the right, nothing happened... He tried pushing it farther out, with still no results. He pondered the idea, as he huff and puff across the ice, that maybe he still didn't have enough speed! Which is the moment a very still figure at the base of the bank caught his eyes in the peripheral. He, without thinking, looked in that direction, his boding shifting slightly, and to his dismay and horror, his course began altering.

Eyes wide he stuck his arms far out in front of him, as if trying to push the bank he was steering toward away. Suddenly he began to tip backward, instincts took over and he counterbalanced forward into an expert crouch, giving him a last burst of speed as he practically drived toward the poor innocent by sitter.

The slick sound of blades against ice turned alarmingly into a shrill shout of warning only a mere moment before the impact.

The event was hard and fast, most definitely not how Oluse liked any aspect of his life. The collision placed his chest in direct alignment of Kanedall's own, his face only slightly to the left. Not a particularly light impact, he knew immediately there would be some bruising, and hoped nobody would come out with anything broken.

Several discomforts stood out to Oluse in the wake of the accident. First was the aching pain upon his left pectoral muscle, directly against where he kept his money pouch within his thick winter shirt. The second being vivid pain within his already overworked right ankle from its last moment turn before it left the ground. Lastly, and honestly most concerning to Oluse, was the warm body resting directly beneath him.

Following a hurried groan, he slurred toward Kandall,"Oh, ma'am! I'm so-sorry!" The Vani language taking on a heavy Denvali accent. Clumsily, still spinning from the sudden reunion with ground level he tried to push himself up, his hand awkwardly falling on Kandell's chest. He stopped at that point, and looked down, a really confused almost drunken look filling his face. His eyes then traveled to Kandalls face. "Oh. I'm sorry, Sir." He corrected himself, something itching annoyingly at the back of his mind as he wondered why he had made such a wrong assumption.
Oluse
Player

Words: 295106
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

Postby Kendall Saarinen on January 14th, 2012, 8:53 pm

Kendall felt himself falling into a meditative state. It was relaxing, although it did not come particularly easily. He still needed to practice more. That much as evident.

Sadly, the blond did not get to stay in this relaxed state for very long. He felt a body crash into him, completely shattering his focus. His eyes shot open, trying to cushion the blow in some way but it was too late. Who ever it had been was on top of him and rattling off apologies.

Kendall had never seen this person before, although could tell he did not seem to be Vantha origin. The eyes were off. He was not sure how to react to the person either. They were on top of him which made him uncomfortable but he felt as though it would be rude to just shove them off, which was what he really wanted to do.

The blond blushed slightly when the boy referred to him as ma'am. Not only was that not his current gender, ma'am was said only to old ladies! "Um…" He did not have much time to answer before the kid fell on him again. Kendall knew his shield was going to fade soon and then his backside would be soaked if he could not get the kid off of him soon.

"Eh… just try to stand up." Kendall knew the kid had not meant to fall on top of him but it did not mean he was allowed to just lie there on top of him.

Granted that the boy had managed to get himself off of Kendall, the blond would stand up. "It's fine. Don't worry about it." It was a lie. It really was not fine bit even Kendall knew in the big scheme of things, someone falling on top of him was not the worst thing that could have happened.

Dusting the snow off of his clothing, Kendall began to work on folding up the blanket. "Hey, if you don't mind, can you help me fold this? It's too wet to try and meditate on now." Even if the boy did not help, Kendall could manage the blanket himself. It would just be easier with help.

"I was thinking of trying ice skating at some point but I gotta say, you have turned me off of the thought of it." Kendall forced a smile, trying to lighten the mood. "I'm not a huge fan of sliding around uncontrollably."
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Oluse on January 15th, 2012, 12:21 pm

Without further hesitation he pushed himself off the man, and rolled to the side, finding himself in the snow. His thick clothing allowed for some protection between his body heat and the frozen layer of snow, in effect adding a couple of minutes before his clothes would grow damp. He let forth a slight hiss with the motion, his ankle sore. "Are you injured?" He inquired in Vani, ignoring his own pain for a moment, this time a better put together accent. His head still spun slightly, and his heart was pounding from embarrassment and the rush, causing his face to glow a vivid blush. He figured it was unfortunately probably inflaming his ankle quicker than it needed to.

Upon the request he nodded, hoisting himself up with bearable pain, and favored his sore ankle. He knew his body recognized the slight injury and would begin to act quicker than he had to address it. His ankle would begin to swell, and he only had a short amount of time before his boot would loath to clear the inflamed appendage. Despite this knowledge, it was rude to assault somebody, purposeful or not, possibly causing injuries that would last their entire life, then ignore a simple request from them. So, with care not to fall again, the skates more stable in the thick hydrated snow, he clumsily helped with the blanket, the two making short work of it.

Once the task was fulfilled he immediately fell back onto his rump, wanting to address the injury. As he did he decided to engage in some dialogue, so as not to seem dismissive, having finally gathering his thoughts by then, "Yes, well I think I might be turning myself off to the idea as well, after this." He thought on the upside, at least he had learned to turn, which was progress in a way. His hands busily worked away at unthreading the bonds holding his boot firmly in place, as he continued with inquiry, "Meditation? Are you a philosopher? A traveling philosopher?" He noted the blonde wasn't Vantha, nor had a native accent.

He gave a slight wince as he pulled his boot down, leaving the top part clinging to his foot for warmth. He couldn't notice any swelling as of then, and hoped that with the application of some cold it would cull the progression of the condition, and ease the joint. At home he would have used cold water with sea salt, then a bell or two later soak in a warm basin treated with chamomile, but he figured the cold Vantha air would work at least for the first stage.

Tying the laces closed around his foot, to trap the heat, he held his ankle up in the frozen air, careful not to get it wet. "At least it's cold today." He gave a half hearted snort, and looked up at Kandall. He was a handsome man, fit, but didn't look very athletic per se. He couldn't quite place his features as being from any region he had heard of before, but figured his home would be reveled in time. Heritage was important to Oluse, and usually among one of the first considerations he made about a person. He had never quite shrugged the habit from his childhood, when all but a few hundred members of the community had some distant relation to him at least.
Oluse
Player

Words: 295106
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

Postby Warden on April 17th, 2012, 9:44 pm

-Kendall Saarinen-

Skill Points:

Meditation 1,

Shielding 2

Lore:

Meditating at Mirror Lake
-Oluse-

Skill Points:

Acrobatics 2,

Bodybuilding 1

Lore:

Skating on Mirror Lake

Notes:

I've always loved friendships that start off with a bang! Ahahahaha..hah..ha

Great thread you guys. Sorry to see it never finished
*In order to take care of the work pile that has been waiting in my office, I will only be grading threads when I log on, with the exception of urgent business. This is also for my two characters, Jett and Marius.*
Warden
Nothing teaches like experience

Words: 6154
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2012, 6:40 pm
Race: Staff account
Office