[The Sanctuary] Are you sure you want THIS job?

K'Sabe wants a job. Kavala's gonna throw her into the fire and see if she burns.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Kavala on November 28th, 2011, 4:18 am

Kavala smiled at both of them. “Rath, feel free to check over the pups then the mother. I had to take them abdominally so her stomach is tender and has healing done on it to close all the wounds. I healed layer by layer, just as you would suture.” Kavala said, then turned to K’Sabe. She studied the Konti thoughtfully and looked hopeful that the woman would turn out to be the additional help they needed at Sanctuary to flesh out their staffing.

“I’m sorry you had to come apply for a job in the middle of a crisis. It’s a good way to see how people focus and act under pressure though. You did remarkably well. I’d really love to offer you a position here especially in the kennels since Rath will need a lot of help once hes got our dog breeding program up and running. I really expect to have him in total control of the ghost dogs, the watchers and the silkenas. Raiha’s going to be managing the deerstalkers. We’ve room for other types of dogs if you’re interested as well, though we are starting out small. I want to make sure we have more demand for dogs than we breed to keep our strains sought after and in demand.”
Kavala said.

“I’m also planning on selling animals for companion animals that can’t be bred. Being a healer, I’ll make sure no female leaves this place that can have puppies if she’s not top of the line material. The same goes for the males. Many people want male dogs that are protective but not as aggressive as studs. We’ll see what we can do to make that happen by advertising thusly.”
Kavala said. “We geld horses a lot. I don’t see why we cannot geld dogs as well to make better working and companion animals.” The Konti said, looking at both individuals to see what they thought of the idea.

“Once Rath checks over the pups and the mother, we’ll leave them both alone for a while and go walk through the kennels. Once that’s done, we can go ahead and have a look see at your new quarters. Then, it will be about time to feed the puppies and reintroduce them to their mother. We need to get her nursing them as quickly as possible.”
Kavala said, stepping aside, offering K’Sabe another smile, so they could let Rath check things over.

“While we wait, K’Sabe, why not tell us more about yourself. Did you train at the Opal Temple?”
Kavala asked curiously. “I’ve not been back to Mura for a while now. How was the journey to Riverfall. Did you come on Call or did some other reason bring you here?” Kavala asked, curious now that the emergency was over. She’d also ask K’Sabe how old she was and who her family was when the moment was right and things quieted down. She didn’t want to heap too many questions on the young Konti before she’d had a chance to catch her breath and get her bearings.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby K'Sabe on December 2nd, 2011, 2:17 am

Sabe met Kavala's gaze as she listened to the Konti talking, feeling that this was a place she'd like to be a part off. "Thank you. I'd love to help with the dogs, though for the start I'll be fine with just my dog Eira before taking on something larger like breeding." Sabe said, the statement peaked her interest. Eira was a great dog in both health and psyche, the only thing hindering her so far was the fact that she had no real idea of Eira's pedigree.

"I think that's a good idea," she agreed. "I believe it's the best choice to geld both male and female dogs if they themselves have an unknown pedigree or can suffer or pass on medical problems and such to their pups. Actually that's the reason I have no real plans on breeding Eira, I don't know her pedigree."

"The travel was wonderful, the sea is so beautiful especially the entrance to Riverfall was amazing. I never studied at the Opal Temple, I mostly borrowed books in the library, but I also practiced other arts in Mura until I new for sure what to do. When I look back I know I admit I slacked a lot back then," Sabe admitted with a slight blush. "But I believe you're never to old to learn." Hoping her lack of education wouldn't be too off-putting, at least her gnosis mark gave her healing by touch but she still wanted to study medicine and herbalism.

"No, I just wanted to see something else than Mura in my life, unless I feel some kind of Call I do to return to Mura some time in my life, not in quite awhile though." Sabe finished, she had no idea how it would feel to get your Call but she guessed she'd know it if it happened.

"I'd like to get Eira as well, I don't want to leave her alone in the reception room," Sabe wasn't used being apart from Eira a lot, the large watcher had really caught her heart and in a way the Konti had more separation anxiety than Eira. "She we'll not damage anything, just so you know." She added, not wanting them to believe she'd failed raising her dog.

Language code:
Speaking in Kontinese.
Speaking in Common.
Speaking in Tukant.
Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.
K'Sabe
Player

Words: 52796
Joined roleplay: October 23rd, 2011, 12:55 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kadrath Onktaka on December 6th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Kadrath nodded and went to check over the mother and puppies. Kiperons were a hardy breed and he wasn't too worried. He ran large, but gentle hands over the bitch's side, to check that her breathing was even and steady.

A reddish miasma tinged the edges of his vision and auristics flooded his senses. The animal's wound barely edged itself in the crimson hue of injury, denoting the beginning of healing. Cautious with the gift, Uruk pulled back to his regular senses, though he felt the warmth of the blue flame on the back of his neck.

He checked the Kiperon mother's gum color, CRT, and pulse, ending up satisfied with the results. Moving on to the pups, his enormous, indigo hands were incredibly careful with the tiny puppies. One by one, he poked his smallest pinky finger into their mouths to test for cleft palates and the ability to suckle properly. Their gum color was healthy and the umbilical cords hadn't been cut too short. With no sign of heart problems or obvious issues, he gave them all a general clean bill of health.

Without a word he walked out of the room and headed back to where the litter was birthed. He looked as though he was wiping up some of the mess with a clean rag. When Kadrath returned, he went directly to the pups with the bloody rag. Because this was an unnatural birth, he didn't want to risk rejection of the pups. Carefully, he dabbed the birth rag in a dot onto each of the pup's heads, insuring that the mother would smell her own scent on the little pups. This in turn would cause her to groom each of the pups when she woke, simultaneously stimulating their circulation and bonding her to her pups.

Kadrath put two fingers inside the Kiperon to literally poke gently at her uterus. A few drops of colostrum rich milk leaked from the teats and he nodded his satisfaction that everything was in proper order.

As he washed his hands, he listened quietly to Kavala talk.

"I don’t see why we cannot geld dogs..."

His groin tightened and he flinched in sympathy at the comment. He finished cleaning up and stood silent and immense, just behind Kavala. The cadence of her voice was soothing and Uruk took an immediate liking to her.

When K'Sabe mentioned unwisely bringing in her bitch just chimes after another had given birth, he frowned briefly. His expression cleared rapidly, revealing nothing to even the closest scrutiny. When the young girl finished speaking, he politely addressed Kavala.

"Mother and pups look good and it's a perfect match of four males and four females."

(When Rath speaks and when Uruk speaks.)
Just as light brightens darkness, discovering inner fulfillment can eliminate any disorder or discomfort.
Ourselves
It takes two men to make one brother.
Kadrath Onktaka
Four isn't a crowd; it's an Akontak date.

Words: 88536
Joined roleplay: September 24th, 2011, 12:13 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Kavala on January 5th, 2012, 4:51 pm

With Kadrath's pronouncing the mother and pups fit, Kavala lead them from the kennels. Her job there was really done. When the owner showed up she'd send them home with a reasonable bill for the services rendered and she was sure the dogs would be treated well. Hopefully it'd be another happy customer for Sanctuary.

Kavala lead the way upstairs, out of the clinic and across the huge inner courtyard to where the horse gate was. Once out the horse gate, they could walk south and reach the kennels which sat outside Sanctuary proper. The kennels themselves were divided into two parts - an upstairs 400 square foot apartment and a lower larger section that held all the runs and equipment a good dog breeding facility needed.

The Dogs that were loose were already gathering around the kennels to greet them, tails wagging. The ones penned up started barking, as usual, to get the attention of the newcomers.

"This is Kadrath's territory. I'll let him give the tour here."
She said, pausing at the doorway which had flowerbeds dug out but not put in due to the lateness of the season. They'd get to that next year, filling the space around the kennels with colorful flowers all beneficial to the dogs.

OOC: Due to K'Sabe's retirement, we're ending the thread here.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Previous