Hearing The Void Sigh [Antar]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Bedlam on January 2nd, 2012, 8:59 am

"Grandmother?" Beatrice asked, toneless, neutral, natural."

Her mouth twisted open in a snarling rictus, half her teeth rotten and old, the rest gone long ago. "I am the greatest of Koni Seers that is, that was, that shall ever be!" Beatrice shrieked, spittle flying as she spoke. She bared her nails like claws in the air. "Insolent human whelp! You presume to command me in my own abode!" Beatrice brought her hands together. "You dare!" A pinpoint of darkness, no larger than an eye. "You dare," Beatrice whispered, very low.

Beatrice lowered her hands and laughed, high and sharp. "You have a prophecy to fulfill," she said, almost sadly. "I cannot kill you." Beatrice did not move an inch. "Yet."

Beatrice circled Antar, eyes smiling as he fashioned his makeshift podium of magic, as he jury-rigged together his safeguards, his mystic podium. "It will be tonight," she said, breathless. "Before midnight, you will know the true nature of the void." She closed her eyes and smiled. "The cold of it. The emptiness of it. The immensity of it." Beatrice talked and talked as he worked. "How I envy you, the first time . . ." She turned toward him something like rapture in her eyes. Beatrice's voice trembled. "The first time . . ."

She smiled as Antar attempt, with his glyphs and discipline and careful study, failed. She cupped her hands together. "It is midnight now," she said and closed her eyes. "It must be. I feel it." She stopped in front of Antar, and when she opened her hands there was a little ball of nothing suspended there. Another example to study, Antar might have thought, if he was a fool. She stepped back once, twice, still smiling.

"The void," she said, "is nothing." It swelled, the size of a clenched fist. "We change the world, Antar," Beatrice gestured, looked up at a sky that was not there. "'I do not want this, to be here,' we think, and we imagine nothing, and nothing becomes true. The space between my hands, nothing, and nothing is the Void, Antar." The size of a man's head. "Make nothing," she said, "a pinprick of nothing, a point of nothing, so small!" It was larger than Antar was. "And feed it, swell it, make it grow!" Beatrice stepped around the void, shared another of her old woman's smiles.

"And when it's big enough," She whispered, so quiet he barely heard. "You can make anything nothing."

It felt like falling sideways; air whistled past his ears, tugged and howled around him as it was dragged into the void. The china that had fallen to the floor? Gone. The table where they had sat groaned against its supports and one by one the candles that had kept Beatrice's home lit went out and fell inside. "The prophecy must be fulfilled," she said, matter-of-factly. Bits of his stone podium tore away, and the void tried to take Antar too. "Seize your destiny."

"Learn the Void from the inside."
Bedlam
Player

Words: 79119
Joined roleplay: June 26th, 2011, 9:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Antar on January 2nd, 2012, 10:49 am

"I'd rather not if you don't mind. Besides; I always believed I was one of the few who might actually be able to change fate or prophecy!" he spat under his breath before cursing aloud in pain. The rogue would feel the sense of magic in his head, buzzing like hornets on the inside of his school. The same way all large djed use felt like to any form of mage without auristics. "Foolish woman, aren't you on the grandmother's council? It is only your right to be called Grandmother by everyone! Besides, you know very well I was adopted. But if you really want to make one less grandchild in the world, then do your best. I won't make it easy for you."

With those words, as Antar controlled the colliding djed within the orrerry artifice he allowed him the small pleasure of exuding a bit more Res from his palms this time, making it a viscous gel that was thrown towards the walls, some was pulled away in the first moments by the gravitational pull, but much of it remained to begin skirting and separating to spread upwards in balls on the ceiling,

coming to rest above the old woman. Whatever her faults, he still didn't want her to be harmed, and he honestly considered that she probably was taking things a little too far in her madness... so the gels would stay there, their bases hardening in the transmutation of stone, leaving the cores available for use later to restrain the woman. At his whim, a stalactite of earth would come down and wrap Beatrice in its embrace, choking her even unto unconsciousness as a last ditch effort for the void to close.

But not yet... such would only be the last resort of last resorts.

Noth's entire attention turned towards the djed within the shield, bouncing around like a million ping pong balls inside a lottery machine. His mind whispered to it, as his second sight began to activate. The old woman had given him a clue amidst her ramblings... Start from a single point of nothingness.

The howling wind was a distraction though, as the atmosphere of the room began to become pulled back into the gateway into nothingess. The force was so strong, the small vial of ink and quill he had used were some of the first items to be sucked in. It did not escape his notice that if he didn't find some way to appease the old bat in the next two minutes, before his grounding brace broke, he'd besucked in as well.

Whispering to the djed, thoughts of nothing, of nonfeeling, he began to weave them in a circling pattern, making a sphere of evercurrent light spiralling upon its center, trying to ensure its interaction with the very fabric of reality on the basest of levels.

Collapsing streams of magic, might cause matter around it to follow forming a pocket to the Void. Perhaps the void wasn't another plane, but merely stood side by side everything in the world. A reflection of beautiful nothingness. No matter, such thoughts were superfluos to the cause, he had to feel the truth of the Void, impart it to the djed, and let it do the work itself. At least that was the theory he possessed, he only hoped it would hold up in truth.

Like a cascading spiralling vortex, the whirling djed collapsed upon itself, and in his Auristics he could see the flickering of it's presence, being there... and then not there as his thoughts turned to complete emptiness.

He noted the vague sensation of something small striking the armor at his backside.

He ignored it.

He ignored everything,well almost everything. including the old woman, the gate into nothingness save the one he wished to call.

Perhaps it was the proximity of one void near the other, perhaps it was some internal key that unlocked a new door. Perhaps it was another reason entirely, his efforts being lauded by a laughing god of fate or purpose. hatever the case may be, within the orrerry, the djed twisted oddly, turning upon itself to form a gaping hole in the fabric of reality, and his eyes opened to see it tearing at the very djed of the world as it tried to suck it all in, even if it was only the size of a pea. Bending more djed to the task, rivulets of bluish energy reached forwards from his fingertips, seeking to make it grow.

And grow it did, to the size of a walnut.

Where it was able to be seen by himself and the woman now gazing on with sheer focus as she sought to send him on a voyage which would spell his death.

Bringing the small void upwards to hover in between them, Antar pointed it at the old woman. "You have your proof Beatrice! And you've had your fun. Shut it down!" He took a moment's pause before adding the word speculatively, "Please."
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Bedlam on January 2nd, 2012, 11:08 am

His mind was focused on the work, on the void, on the art, and so he did not feel the bracer that kept him from death fracturing.

Antar did not hear the wrench, the tear as her tea table tore itself from the ground, leg by leg and spiraled into the darkness, did not see the room grow dark.

He did not see her face, delighted and hungry, hidden by deep stark shadows. As the void swelled , grew, till light bent and blurred around it.

She did not hear his voice, but she saw. Alongside hers, Antar's was pathetic. It was a dot, it was nothing, but its blackness was too black, its oblivion absolute, and she knew the look of the Void better than anyone. The air's howl faded to a shout to a whisper barely heard. She took a cautious step forward, then two, stared at the nothing in Antar's hand and smiled wide and broken. The hunger came back into her face, and her eyes were mad with it.

But another sort of madness won the day. Beatrice gestured, and her Void was gone as though it had never been. "When you leave this place, you will tell the world of my prophecy and the truth of it."

"Oh deary," she smiled, too wide. "There was never any any doubt. I told you; I knew you would."
Bedlam
Player

Office

Postby Antar on January 10th, 2012, 10:04 am

'Never again should I take lessons from a batty old woman with a mentally damaged mind.' Antar thought to himself as he gaped at the sudden cessation of the void the old sorceress had spurned out of being as quickly as it appeared. The old bat had gone on to inform him that her prophecy had been fulfilled... and indeed it had save for one tiny error.

So while he simply lay there smiling and breathing his mind stretched upwards to return his res to himself, reabsorbing it over time as he paused to consider her prophecy itself. It seemed to have shifted gears in the midst of twenty seconds to where it was foreordained that he would learn of the void from the inside, to where he was presently being lauded for his efforts in the singsong sugary tones with all the pride of an old woman who may have just delivered her grandson a batch of cookies for his success in some endeavor.

Not that he'd ever tell her that.

Beatrice was simply a wonderful old bird though, sans the insanity issues; and the rogue smiled as he turned on the charm, "Oh of course grandmother. Of course I'll tell them! You've made me so happy I'll shout it from the rooftops... though I wonder, what an awful thing to do to the china cup! I think it's broken still. I should fix it!"

Moving his knees out from under the cracked edifice he had tried to make to bulwark his position would reveal a few cracked bits of china from the teacups upon the floor which hadn't been pulled into the monstrous void. At least he'd worn his armor today. Manuevering his hand downwards he'd bring the void he had created to rest an inch above and willed it to pull the china into the nothingness in a paltry mirror of the power Beatrice had used. Soon enough though; the less then pebble sized fragments disappeared just as the djed he had allotted to creating the void fell out, letting it wink back out of existance as reality reasserted itself with a forceful 'pop' as the displaced air rushed back in.

Looking around, he noted the moorings where tea table had been pulled away, noticing a few haphazard splinters as well. "I'm so sorry Miss Beatrice; we've gone and caused your nice abode to have a mess. I should clean it up."

Thinking of the void, wondering if he could do this again, Antar would close his eyes to let the streamers of djed stretch from his hands, this time allowing them to come together in a freestanding calling of the void as his thoughts became tuned to the nothingness. A smaller void appeared, this time the size of a pinhead, and with the same effort he had been able to initially create the walnut sized one.

It seemed, like all things it worked with, glyphing assisted one's potential to make things easier to control or obtain. A free standing void was a bit difficult for him to master at this stage... still he had told the old woman he would clean up the splinters. So to do any less would possibly draw her wrath.

Feeding it more djed to let it grow back to the walnut sized envelope, Antar would use it as a vacuum slowly walking over the floor, to let it suck in every remaining viable splinter before letting the void wink out of sight. He plastered a very pleased look upon his face, "Oh dear grandma beatrice... did you see what I did? Did you-"

His words would stop midsentence as he noted something by the cracked brace of stone... a small item which it seemed to have become stopped from being pulled into the void from his body being in the way... a small thin paper card of some sort. He would reach down to pick it up and turn it over to note the tarot card of the Fool... a wild card of sorts if he remembered right; he wasn't the best noticing the signs of tarot; he left that up to diviners like Kamalia; but he thought it fitting. Turning towards the old woman, he'd show it to her; silently wondering if it was hers or the last unfortunate victim to be voided's as he made a small request. "Grandmother; thank you for showing me the Void's beauty. Is there any book I might have to study with? You know how momma always wanted me to study. Perhaps I might even be allowed to keep this card as a bookmark too?"

oocSorry for the long delay bedlam >.< I had a bit of writer's block on all levels for a while. Feel free to end this on your next post if you wish.
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Bedlam on January 11th, 2012, 3:45 pm

"Oh dear," Beatrice raised a hand over her mouth. "Step carefully! Do not harm yourself on my behalf," she hobbled after Antar, hands clasped together, eyes full of worry. "Do not rush it darling," she whispered touched his wrist with a cautionary finger, but did not stop him. "The Void consumes. They forget . . ." She shook her head.

"You needn't feel pressed, deary. This old woman has done so much worse." Beatrice clasped withered hands together. "The lovely men outside always help me clean. Please, tell them I have need of them. That will be aid enough."

"If there is a book, then I do not know of it." Beatrice's expression turned distant, her voice muted, awed. "There is the emptiness and silence, the infinity of nothing." She shook her head once, and faced Antar with sharp, regal eyes. "Practice. And you will get better. Maybe you will learn enough to know the other tricks in a season, or a dozen seasons. Such is the way of the world, and I do not yet know the answer." She smiled, but there was no warmth in it. "Perhaps I will teach you then."

"We will meet again, human boy." Beatrice said as she turned away. "I have seen it."
Last edited by Bedlam on January 11th, 2012, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bedlam
Player

Office

Postby Bedlam on January 11th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Thread Completed!

Antar

Experience:
4 Voiding