[Seven's Scrapbook!] Uncensored Aspersions

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

[Seven's Scrapbook] Uncensored Aspersions

Postby Seven Xu on March 21st, 2012, 12:10 pm

Alvadas Seasonal Thread Goals
Your overconfidence will be your downfall, Seven Xu.

1- Fall UP a flight of stairs
2- Discover something new about your character. Could be learning a new skill or a useful insight into your PC that your character discovers for themselves.
3- Conquer a bad habit, be it drinking, biting your nails or murder
4- Spy on another player. This can be from light 'following around' to complete stalking.
5- Take a stroll through the Garden of No Return, and pick a flower if you find one
6- Write a poem about Ionu, Illusions, or Alvadas
7- Get lectured to by a Speaker
8- Take a walk at night in Alvadas and run into something or someone unexpected
9- Have your house disappear for a week
10- Tell another player a secret about your character or find out a secret about another character
11- Kiss someone passionately in the House of Broken Mirrors
12- Have a 'romantic' dinner at the Withering Rose
13- Get into an argument with your reflection
14- Get a new look. Buy clothes from the Tattered Thread.
15- Dye your hair a flashy color for the rest of the season
16- Buy a knickknack from Matilda's Jewels and show it off around town, proudly!
17- Pray at the Temple of Ionu
18- Give directions... to a place in Alvadas
19- Kill a monster that invades Alvadas
20- Take care of a sick person (PC or otherwise)

1, 7, 8, 9, 13, 16, 18, can all easily be done within other threads. Falling up stairs, giving directions, arguing with a reflection--I'm pretty sure I've done these already. Damn the inability to grandfather silly things.

5 god I hate you Garden of No Return.

6, 14, 15, 17 will be done for the festival of Illusion.

I like that number 7 involves being lectured to by a Speaker. It's meant to be. Incoming dialogue solo.

10 so easy because Georgia Delner.

I have a fun idea for number 12 regarding upcoming gangster status. Don't let me forget this Vic plz tx.

I'm going to have trouble with the house disappearing for a week, but maybe the whole djed storm living underground and not actively looking for the S&S counts. /cheap

More ideas later, but this looks doable.

If anyone would like to collaborate on these, let me know. We can work something out.

Personal Spring Thread Goals

- Djed Storm thread: Helter Skelter; in progress
- Government solo for government job; done
- Repairing Alvadas’ walls quest; to be started
- Slave auction thread with Victor and Palla; to be started
- Fight thread and subsequent runaway solo with 1 wilderness survival point; to be started
- Festival of Illusion; to be started

Fitting thread goals into our
current story arc will be fun.

Skill Goals

Rhetoric 76/100! [omg do it 5 to go]
Observation 45/100 [6 to go]
Drawing and/or Writing 15/100 [5 to go, each way]
Shielding 26+/100 [6 to go]
Last edited by Seven Xu on March 29th, 2012, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Seven Xu on March 21st, 2012, 10:44 pm

I find it funny that Seven is so opposed to enjoying himself in the City of Illusion, and yet insists on surrounding himself with illusion every waking moment of his life.

His two closest friends are little more than acts. Victor cannot feel much more than aggravation and boredom; Palla, while she tries, will never be a functioning member of human society, as convincingly as Seven dresses her and teaches her. His very job is chasing illusion, analyzing it, trying to understand it.

I want to play with this growing frustration in the future. Seven is very much driven by his anger. I want this all to boil over into something genuinely fun to write (not in one thread, but over time). I want him to finally pick apart Victor’s empty head in front of him. I want him to test the boundaries of the bond he forged with Palla. I want him to get Ionu’s attention in some way—being that the god is so closely associated and involved with the city, this doesn’t seem entirely impossible. Positive, or negative, I’m not looking for rewards. I would just love to throw my character at the feet of a god and see how he would react. I want Seven to finally accept Alvadas for what it is, nothing more, nothing less.

This rant has no further purpose, so I’m stopping here. I feel like pretty words are itching at my fingertips.
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Seven Xu on March 22nd, 2012, 5:51 am

Criticism

Let’s talk about a commonly misused term: constructive criticism. There are people under the impression that constructive criticism is a bad thing; I strongly disagree. I feel that most of the hate-on that constructive criticism gets is due to general lack of understanding and, of course, defensiveness in the face of opposition. Hey, that’s common. So, I’m here with a little rant to break down constructive criticism, what it means, and my personal thoughtsI've never taken a writing class in my short life, so for all intents and purposes this is my uneducated soapbox minute on the subject.

If the most astute of us pull that apart, we get: constructive.
Constructive is an adjective, its definition is ‘serving a useful purpose’.

Okay, now we’re left with: criticism.
If you’re a part of the technology age and punch the word into google, you get two definitions. The first, is ‘the expression of disapproval of someone or something based on perceived faults or mistakes’; the second, ‘the analysis and judgment of a literary or artistic work’.

We knew what those words meant. Now, we just need to mash them together. You’ll get something along the lines of ‘the judgment of a literary or artistic work with an aim to serve a useful purpose’, in the context that I’m currently discussing.

Constructive criticsm is not destructive criticism. Straight-up criticizing for the sake of pointing out problems without giving any solution is not constructive.

Example:
Victor: Hey Seven, learn how to use a semicolon; it’s getting really annoying.

Constructive criticisms can be positive, and they can be negative. The difference between straight-up judgments of creativity is the intent to improve by offering an alternative approach. Constructive criticisms draw attention to a problem that can be solved, or better solved, by another means.

Example:
Victor: Seven, I notice that in your writing you use semicolons to string sentence fragments together. You can use it to join sentences, but you should make sure that, while they’re related, they’re still independent and complete thoughts.

Of course, there are people that refuse to accept constructive criticisms. I feel this can be handled better, on both sides. If you don’t want constructive criticisms, that’s fine. Take what someone says with a grain of salt, and politely keep doing what you’re doing. If you’re on the other end, and the target of your constructive criticism takes it badly, take a step back and ask yourself if you were welcome in handing it out in the first place.
Maybe the individual is doing what is considered an unsatisfactory job. Maybe they could improve. But, if they don’t want to (maybe they don’t even know that they want to), your advice isn’t going to do much more than agitate them. Take a different approach, or back off. Eventually, if the issues were glaring enough, maybe they’ll figure it out themselves.
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Seven Xu on March 23rd, 2012, 1:55 am

SPIN SPIN LALALALALA

During the week I've been posting to what I want, when I want, with little regard for dates. Sorry, to whomever this offends. I feel this is more productive, than forcing halfassed posts in "proper" order. It do what it do.
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Seven Xu on March 25th, 2012, 1:21 am

I'm not normally a person that likes to toot their own horn, but god damn I'm having fun with this thread.

What a tragic relationship we've woven.
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Seven Xu on March 25th, 2012, 11:45 pm

The original is just as good, but I love the remix so so much.
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Seven Xu on March 26th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Availability in Spring

Since spring has a lot going on in which my PC will be incapacitated, lost, or otherwise out of commission, I need a little self-reminder when starting threads as to what does and does not make sense, date-wise. Unf.

Spring 1-7th: Djed storm drives Sector to the Streets Below. Probably safe to say they’re down there for at least a week, what with injuries and apprehensions of what happened to their city.

Spring 47-49th: Giving a window between being sold and bought back from slavers, if this happens. Don’t like to plan that far ahead, really.

Spring 50th: I assume this is when Alvadas Returning will take place, as this is the date set for Alvadas’ walls to finally be repaired.

Spring 60th: We’re monster-free, hooray!

Spring ~63rd-70th: Seven gets lost in the forest outside of Alvadas because he’s stupid. I’m not gonna plan how long, but I’m taking a week as a maximum to ensure I don’t overlap anything.

Spring 83rd-90th: Festival of Illusions fun time yay
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Seven Xu on March 28th, 2012, 11:25 am

Personification & Allegory

Two wonderful things I stop using when I go too long without reading books.

Must start reading more books.
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Colombina on March 29th, 2012, 7:55 am

I'm in a state now that I blame on not reading anything particularly complex. If my lack of reading discipline lasts much longer all of Eyktol will be described in variations of "herp" and "derp".

On the plus side, poetry gives a lot of bang for its buck. When there's no time for a novel and I need a kick in the literary head I read this poem in particular, or more Yeats.
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Seven Xu on March 29th, 2012, 11:21 am

That was a nice read with morning coffee. Also, it made me a little bit homesick.

I keep forgetting I have this. It's not finished, but I wanna throw it somewhere before I polish it and plotnote it. Plicata Web ain't afraid to keep that shit in the family, yo.

family tree woop :
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext