[The Chapel] Evanesce (Veldrys)

Xelhes goes to visit Veldrys again.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Xelhes on March 7th, 2012, 8:40 pm

A comforting smile appeared on Xelhes' face as Veldrys thanked him for his advice, the Ethaefal happy that the other man had accepted his words instead of being upset by the possibility of them being true. He did not say anything until the Symenestra asked for his opinion on what to look forward to, happily saying, "My suggestion is this: live. As obvious as it may sound it is my suggestion, live and find something to live for. What you have to look forward to is something for you to answer, but I can say there is always a lot to look forward regardless of the individual. If you can't think of anything than I will help you so you have a future to look forward to, if you want my help that is."

With a sigh ending his words Xelhes stood up and began to stretch his arms and legs, rolling his neck to crack it as well. He did not know how long he had been sitting here with Veldrys but his body was beginning to complain about it, causing the Ethaefal to do some actual stretches, giving the Symenestra an embarrassed and apologetic look. Even as the conversation continued Xelhes finished his stretching, straightening his back at the end and feeling his spine crack with relief. In a now almost relaxed voice he said, "Exactly. I have fears, hopes, dreams, dislikes, likes, emotions, and everything else; same as you. Even if my body is different I consider myself to be the same as everyone else because inside we are all the same, we just have varying goals. As for my existence...I would never view it as a curse."

Xelhes' tone changed at those words, becoming serious for one of the rare moments, any part of the child in him vanishing as he spoke his next words, almost sounding like a true adult. "I cannot age and find that a curse, but my existence and my time in this world as Xelhes are things I will not regret. You and I both know how important life is so it should be obvious I would never regret being given the ability to live; I accept it hardships and all." Returning to his seat the Ethaefal did not reply to the comment on how others hardly ever realized the truth of the Ethaefal and Symenestra, knowing that it was true and that there was no need to further state the point.

Suddenly realizing how off topic they had gotten, an almost panicked look came across the Ethaefal's face as he looked around the room for a moment. Finding the dried herbs again he quickly pointed to one of the herbs, making sure it was not the same one from before, and awkwardly asked, "Would you mind telling me about that herb? I did not mean for us to stray so far from the original intention of this meeting; I will try to stay more on topic, I promise." Xelhes was almost shocked at how the conversation had turned from herbs and Ethaefal to Veldrys' personal life and insecurities. To say the Ethaefal felt guilty was an understatement, displeased that he had dug deeper into Veldrys' personal life when it was probably not wanted. In an attempt to apologize again without words Xelhes bowed his head after speaking, eventually raising it when the Symenestra answered.

Xelhes
Player

Words: 159436
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Veldrys on March 9th, 2012, 6:25 pm

„Live?“ the Symenestra asked. „I don’t plan on dying anytime soon, if you are worried about that. My life may not be as I thought it would be, but I do not plan on killing myself or wasting my life. Maybe you are right. Maybe I just need to find something worth living for. I’d appreciate your help with that, although I’m curious as to what your help would look like.“ Xelhes sounded so happy as he made his suggestion that there was no way that Veldrys could say no. The Ethaefal seemed to be in a good mood again.

While Xelhes‘ body had begun to complain a bit, the Symenestra still sat completely straight, much as in the beginning, as if he were unaffected by all those little pains and aches that troubled the people around him. While the Ethaefal stood up and did a few stretches, he simply sat there and watched him as if he were doing something rather puzzling.

„You do not?“ he wondered as Xelhes stated that he didn’t view his existence as a curse. Had the Ethaefal not just spoken of a curse? „You consider your inability to age a curse then, but not your life itself?“ He fell silent as he thought about Xelhes‘ words, and then he nodded slowly. Despite everything Xelhes seemed to have a positive outlook on life. Could he do it though? Stop considering this here a curse?

As Xelhes asked him about another herb, he just looked at him in confusion. His mind wasn’t really on herbs at the moment. He wasn’t really interested in talking about them anymore either, but since Xelhes had asked, he decided to answer. „That’s mint. It’s useful when you have a cold or stomach problems.“ He stopped and looked directly at the Ethaefal. „Xelhes, I don’t mind the change of topic, even if it may have seemed that way for a while. What you said helped me. Besides, we can’t just talk about herbs all the time. There’s more to life than that. You mentioned friendship. Friends talk about more than their work.“
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Xelhes on March 9th, 2012, 10:31 pm

"I did say it was an obvious suggestion, but it was still the best one I had, if a bit basic," was the statement Xelhes used to reply to Veldrys' thought on the Ethaefal's advice. Xelhes considered telling Veldrys that there was a difference between living and staying alive, but decided against, worrying that it might somehow lead to more personal conversation. With the smile still on his face he said, I'm not sure how I could help, or even if I will be a big help, but I do promise I will at least try. I probably won't know until you ask for my help, assuming you ever do need it or think I can be helpful." How or if he actually could help the Symenestra was beyond Xelhes' knowledge, but he would at least try if the day ever came, regardless of how insignificant the Ethaefal's aid might be.

When he noticed the Symenestra giving him a puzzled look as he stretched, Xelhes returned the look, trying to make the other man feel as if he was the one doing something odd by not stretch his limbs. After nodding to Veldrys' next question, the Ethaefal answered with, "Yes, that is how I see it; not being able to age, to be a normal mortal, is what I view as the curse. I will always be happy with the fact that I was given the chance to have this life, or any life, even if it is a horrible one or a good one...I make for a poor divine, yes? I am given eternal youth and one of the few who would forsake it just to age and eventually die." If he was ever given the chance Xelhes knew he would surrender his Ethaefal power, his agelessness and other features common to Ethaefal, if it meant he could be like other mortals. To him being able to age and die, to grow and develop, with others close to him was the gift he desired most.

Once Veldrys told him that the herb was mint the Ethaefal quickly looked at it again with a surprised look on his face. He knew what this one was, only because sometimes it was added to teas and other beverages to add flavor, or at least he thought that was mint. As the Symenestra told him how friends talked about more than their work Xelhes felt his body tense, knowing that was true but still unhappy. It was not that he did not like talking to Veldrys about such things, it was simply the fact that he had come here to learn more about herbalism from the man instead of his personal life. It almost seemed as if Veldrys did not even want to talk of herbs anymore, like he had forgotten the original reason for meeting.

Standing up again Xelhes gave a small bow of his head to Veldrys before saying, "Thank you for accepting my apology, but when I think about it I have taken up enough of your time for today. Maybe some other time we could hang out...oh! I know it is still a while away but...would you mind not working on the 23rd of Summer and spending it with me and maybe a few others? If you are busy or anything that day or something comes up I understand so do not feel obliged, just think of it as a low priority request."

As he spoke the Ethaefal looked back over at the other dried herbs, trying to memorize them so he could look them up at a later time on his own. It may not have been completely productive but Veldrys had taught him about some plants and that was more than enough. Standing at the door the Ethaefal opened it partly before stopping and turning his head to the Symenestra again, a small, happy smile on his face. "Thank you for having me over, Veldrys. I may have caused us to go off track but I did enjoy our conversation. Maybe we can continue it at another time, and hopefully you will be able to give me advice as well. I could use it."

With that the Ethaefal turned away from Veldrys, exiting the man's home, and quietly shut the door.

Xelhes
Player

Words: 159436
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Tabarnac on April 8th, 2012, 1:29 am

XP Award!

Xelhes
XP Award: Interrogation +5; Storytelling +2; Observation +5; Plant Identification +3; Philosophy +5; Teaching +2

Veldrys
XP Award: Teaching +5; Herbalism +1; Plant Identification +3; Interrogation +3; Philosophy +5

Additional Notes:
Great thread! I awarded XP where I could, but unfortunately the only Herbalism went to Veldrys for brewing the tea. My hands are sort of tied here. You can earn Herbalism skill by making herbal remedies or applying them to patients, but most of what Xelhes got here was observational and some plant identification skill.

Xelhes, I couldn’t find a Storyteller Secrets thread for you, but if you have one, please link me. If not, I will create one for you. Having seen this thread and the thread with Jarret, I’m pretty sure I can offer you some Seasonal XP, at least. You just have to apply for it! Also, you should consider a solo thread in Spring before the ships leave. Jarret would want some of the mutated herbs and fungi! You can make some money and some XP that way. Maybe Veldrys would go with? Symenestra can climb. Or I can moderate with Perras if you don’t think you can solo it.

Also, if Veldrys does begin to teach him Symenos, link me those threads and this one, and I can award you some Poor skill in it for your language list to make it official. Also, let me know if there’s any Lore you want from this. There’s a lot of chatting about Ethaefal, Symenestra, gods and worship, herbal remedies, etc. Not sure which would actually be useful to you, though.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Keep writing!
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous