A difficult lesson (solo)

Learning can be full of aches

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Lyam on April 8th, 2012, 9:54 am

Spring 55th, 512 av

Lyam stepped down the hill and went to the training camp. He was late, as usual, and held his pieces of armour under his arm while running, his bad fixed two-bladed sword tapping his back at each footstep. Arnesko was already waiting and looked not very happy, his arms crossed on his chest.

You’re late” he said on a hard tone when Lyam finally arrived.

I’m sorry” Lyam answered, out of breath.

Leave your shirt on the ground and put only your greaves and vambrances” he ordered. “Today I teach you how to protect your chest.

Lyam remained immobile during few seconds, trying to understand the logic of his master.

Er… you mean the reverse, don’t you?” he finally asked.

Arnesko frowned and said with a frozen voice that sent shivers down Lyam’s spine “I said you’ll fight stripped to the waist. Be happy I accord you to have arms and legs protections.

Lyam hardly swallowed and did not add a single word while he did what Arnesko had gently suggested. He wondered where Aaron was, if he had abandoned or so, but did not dare asking. Then he took his two-bladed sword and began to warm up with few movements Arnesko had already taught him. One step behind, one ahead, one front hit, two, on the right side, left, above, roll, hit, jump, duck.

Enough” the master finally said as Lyam was already covered with sweat. “Come here

Lyam did so with apprehension.

Ok, the plan is easy. I attack, you try to avoid my blades by instinct. I’ll teach you what to do once I would have seen what your body can do, what your fighting style can be. Understand?

Lyam nodded and had hardly took his sword correctly while Arnesko was already attacking.

Last edited by Lyam on April 13th, 2012, 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Exams period, sorry for all the people who are waiting for me!
Lyam
Silenced by the night

Words: 88344
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2012, 3:11 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Lyam on April 8th, 2012, 11:11 am

Get up boy!

He was on hands and knees, unable to stand one more time. His chest was covered with wet and blood and dirt and he could no longer feel his arms.

Get up, come on!

He felt a new bash on his back that made him fall on the dirt. He laid there, tired to death, whishing it would soon stop. But Arnesko had decided otherwise. A powerful hand took him by his neck skin and pulled him back on his feet.

Fight now! On a battlefield you would have been killed for a long time now! Is it what you want?

Lyam shook his head but did not move.

I… can’t…” he whispered.

Come on, you coward! We’ve been fighting for only half an hour! Don’t be childish!

Lyam held his sword again and took his defence position, trying to forget all the little bleeding wounds on his body. Arnesko was maybe a cynical and never happy master, he was though a perfect fencer. All the hit he had done were mastered with perfection, so that he could touch his student without wounding him seriously.

Hold your sword higher Lyam, and cant it more.

Lyam raised his head and his gaze crossed his teachers. This was the first advice he had given since the beginning of the lesson.

Good. Now move your right foot forward. Not that much! Ok, now look at me.

And Arnesko attacked. Twice. By chance, Lyam blocked the first attack just in time, avoiding his right leg another bruise, but the second blade was now threatening his waist. With a perfect circular movement allowed by the initial position he had, Lyam didn’t fail to block the sword. But the shock of the two blades was so powerful that Lyam let his sword fall while holding his painful wrist. Without any compassion, Arnesko continued to hit him with the plat of his sword.

Do not EVER do that AGAIN” he said with one hit for each word. “Without your sword you’re a dead man. You’re here to learn how to fight boy, not to be nursed.

Lyam
Silenced by the night

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Lyam on April 8th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Lyam would have wanted to answer something, to rebel, to protest. But somehow he knew that Arnesko was right. His recent misadventures had already showed him all of that. He was not a coward though. He was weak and idiot, what was different. Laying on the ground, completely out of breath, he just felt ashamed. Come on he thought move. Arnesko had stopped hitting him and was now just gazing at him. For sure he was wondering whether this student was worth fighting for. Would Lyam let anybody doubt of his courage? Would he let people think he was not worth the effort? Would he accept to think on his own that he was a looser?

After few seconds of a total silence, Lyam pushed on his arms once again and stood up with a wry face. But on his gaze was shining a new determination.

Well, that is what I prefer” smiled Arnesko

You don’t know me” answered Lyam with a very different voice, and he meant it. Lyam did not know himself well, how could a fencing teacher know more about him? Arnesko had guessed about his Kelvic nature but he knew nothing more. Nothing. He had no right to dare insulting him. Suddenly, Lyam understood what he was waiting for his teacher: respect. And the respect of a powerful warrior can not be won with words. Slowly, Lyam picked up his sword and hold it before him, determined.

Arnesko smiled again. This kid began to please him.

Lyam
Silenced by the night

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Lyam on April 8th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Lyam was fighting the best he could. He listened to Arnesko’s advices with a lot of attention, trying to do exactly what he said. But it was not so simple. Determination was one thing, a very important parameter to achieve something, however it was not sufficient. Your mental could help you to overachieve, but not to do miracles. And soon his proper body betrayed him. His gests went even more slowly and Arnesko suddenly hit him at each attack instead of one out of two or three.

Ok Lyam, you can stop now” the master finally said “Enough for today.

No” Lyam answered between his tighten teeth “I can go further

Arnesko gazed at him with a smile. It was obvious the boy was exhausted.

Come on boy. Not so long ago you were keeling before me to put this lesson to the end. Go and sleep, it’s high time for you to rest.

No” Lyam insisted abruptly.

Arnesko lost his smile. Courage was something, insolence was another. He turned on his heel and looked Lyam straight in the eyes.

Now listen to me boy, I’m fed up with your behaviour. When I say stand, you rest, when I say rest, you stand; now it’s enough. Until you would have learn how to obey, our lessons are cancelled.

Lyam first wanted to answer, but instead he realized he went to far. Being angry and narrow-minded and self-confident and so on and so forth was a very good thing to fight, not to behave with people. He wanted to be respected, the first step was certainly to respect in return. Both angry and ashamed, he caught his things that were lying on the ground and quit the training field.

He was already on the corridor of the dormitory when he noticed that he was covered with blood and dirt. He swore and turned on his heel to go and clean his body on the little river that passed near the university. There were showers of course, but he was used to do so, and it enabled him to see no human being. When he was neat enough to go inside, he went back to his shared room.

He pushed the door open with a silent hope for Siriak not to be there. Missed.

Hi dude, how was…” his roommate began.

Please, just shut up” Lyam answered on a very unusual hard tone, and he felt on his bed without another word. At this moment, he did not care about Siriak reaction. The argument and explanation could wait.

Lyam
Silenced by the night

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Cascade on April 9th, 2012, 7:58 am

Adventurer's Loot

Lyam's Loot :
Lyam

Skill XP Reward
Body-building +2
Running +1
Socialization +1
Two-bladed Sword +2

Lore:
Protecting The Chest
Pushing To The Limit
Angering Your Teacher
Enjoyable thread. I'll be looking forward to seeing how Lyam will get back on his instructor's good graces. As a note, be more careful with your punctuation, you sometimes tend to forget to punctuate a character's speech. :) If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)