The Aging Bough (Ifran)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

The Aging Bough (Ifran)

Postby Colombina on August 25th, 2011, 4:35 am

Sadiki smiled briefly at his grandson.

"You are welcome, Ifran. I am indulging one of the pleasures of wealth: the ability to bestow happiness on your progeny."

His family required more wealth than most for their happiness. The concept of a child made perfectly grateful by a pet bird was lifetimes away.

"Speaking of family, have you been considering any of the gems of the other houses? You are young enough to ignore but old enough to ask for one of them. If you have a preference it can be a pillar to the house while fulfilling your own likes."

Sadiki placed a pair of hands on his knees, rubbing the joints. Some questioned whether he pretended to ache as an old man so as to make others doubt his true speed. Perhaps he was a greater performer than even he knew.

"Your grandmother was of my choosing, though I was not hers. Time and persistence can change a woman. Unlike men, they are wise enough to reconsider worth when shown it through action. Whereas men may often confuse goodness with youth and health."

It was known that despite the complexity of their household, Sadiki and Ominah were happy in the other. It would strike other as surprising to hear one was ever unwilling.

"Between houses, beneficial exchanges can also be made."
Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

The Aging Bough (Ifran)

Postby Ifran on August 25th, 2011, 7:20 am

"The last lady it had occurred to me to court was Izdihar of the House of the West Winds," he admitted truthfully, "but she seems to have her attentions otherwise occupied." His words implied another suitor or lover at face value, but his under-mode indicated some other, possibly nefarious, occupation for her time and attentions. He had nothing ironclad on which to base his suppositions, else he might have spoken more plainly with his grandfather. Though Sadiki's offspring and theirs did maneuver and jockey for position, Ifran, at least, was loyal enough to the family as a whole to give whatever bits of unvarnished truth to his grandfather that he could, for who better to make use of that information than the paterfamilias?

"Perhaps in time she may grow more amenable to a suit, and certainly she appreciated my gift." There was nothing but innocence attached to this gift, but even in that he might just have been lying. Whether or not he had bedded the girl was not information he felt like sharing unless pressed by the font of authority within the family. "Or perhaps my Esteemed Grandfather has another match in mind?"

If so, he certainly hoped he was not merely to be a pawn on his grandfather's chessboard, but at least a knight, or some other, more august piece. He would rather play for kingship, but was not ruthless enough to try to wrest it from the grip of his grandfather. Time changed all things.
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Words: 172387
Joined roleplay: April 9th, 2010, 10:57 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Lore Author (1)

The Aging Bough (Ifran)

Postby Colombina on September 1st, 2011, 1:29 am

Ifran's answer was heard with interest, but it was a casual sort, as if the listener had nothing to gain but satisfied curiosity.

"The West Winds is not my favorite among the houses, nor am I fond of Izdihar's line that gave us a murderous Queen. I know one generation may not define the next, but the women of that house are not born they are groomed. They will charm you like no other, but I wonder if there is enough of selflessness for them to actually love."

Something like a laugh came through his cough.

"I know, you do not think that would be a concern of mine. Alliances aside, there is no more purifying thing than a selfless love. It can make a man great if he learns the value of it."

Sadiki considered Ifran's question of a match as he picked debris from the fountain.

"My preference is the South Winds. The women are aggressive and bright, but lack the guile of the land bound nobles. My family could bear some hearty influence, a lust for life born in the blood and body. The North Winders are too often in their minds."

He looked up from his cleaning, appraising Ifran's reaction, and allowing his grandson to see that he was.

"But if you really wanted this Izdihar, I would not stop you. Then again, if you cannot win her, as you seem to imply, then you do not deserve her."

He let this lash sting before asking, "What was your gift?"
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

The Aging Bough (Ifran)

Postby Ifran on September 10th, 2011, 6:38 pm

Ifran nodded acknowledgement of his grandfather's input. To be honest, he was not sure until now that the august man had given his marital future much concern. There had been little enough talk of it before, at least not with Ifran himself.

"I am playing the long game with Izdihar," he said, "and perhaps it is not the sort of game of which you would approve, but we are supposed to revel in that sort of thing." His smile was lazy, though the undermode of his words was precise and anything but. It was frustrating sometimes, making oneself as good a choice to be promoted politically within the family without crossing the paterfamilias. He could have schemed and made audacious moves, but then Sadiki was likely as not to push him out of the game for power forever. But at least he could show him that he was playing the part of a proper Northwinder with a keen self-awareness and the ability to transcend that role.

"If you would like to introduce me to a particular lady or would like me to introduce myself to a particular lady, you have but to say the word." He paused. "I gave her a kitten, a sand cat kitten. In a few seasons I might give her a slave if the proper one appears. She plays the long game too. I can tell."
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Lore Author (1)

The Aging Bough (Ifran)

Postby Colombina on October 14th, 2011, 5:43 am

Sadiki absorbed Ifran's deference to his decree with little pause. It was an expected obeisance, but there was a subtle wilt of disappointment in the elder. Maybe he had hoped for a youth as zealous as he once was in matters of the heart or, at least, as determined. Or perhaps he only wanted women worthy of pursuit mingling with his blood.

"If you are open to suggestions, I will assume this long game is precisely that: a diversion, until you clearly relay otherwise. Then I will balance the merits of each."

As he reconsidered his grandson's answer, Sadiki huffed an amused laugh and raised a brow.
"A sand kitten?" He looked away, smiling, "You seem to have some skill at endearing yourself."
He stirred the water in the fountain again and lightly patted his brow with the drops. The gathering heat encouraged him to hasten the interview to a close.

"If you intend to buy a slave at the market, ask the Undertaker Eminah for her opinion."

Having given a practical bit of grandfatherly advice, Sadiki rose to his feet.

"I am certain I funded an excellent stage education for you. Assume the role of an affectionate grandson and walk an old man back to his study."
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

The Aging Bough (Ifran)

Postby Ifran on October 22nd, 2011, 9:14 pm

Did he detect a note of disapproval, or was he imagining things? His grandfather was certainly subtle enough a politico to match words and wits with the young poet. He hastened to clarify for fear that his grandfather could not see through the mask he wore for others, even those of his own family. It only seemed prudent to seem like another ineffectual aesthete until such time as he was dealt a hand into the game of true power, but if that never came to be, it made no sense to show his ambition and make himself a target.

"Please forgive me," he said in plain words. "I do not mean to toy with her heart as a puppeteer, but she is a cagey one, much like me. I believe I recognize a kindred spirit, which has a great potential for all the good things marriage promise as well as those great perils that might ruin a man. The long game is meant as a diversion for her as well: a long courtship, a long betrothal, and a long marriage. I would not bore a wife if I could help it. She is the only one to catch my eye, but I am loyal to the House and if her lineage truly offends you..." He left the promise unspoken. "The kitten was, perhaps, a stroke of mild genius. It cut through our games and what bled out was sincerity. Enough to form a bond upon which to build. Perhaps this way there can be a mending of things with her House. Surely she is wise enough not to repeat the sins of her forebears. I will certainly ask the Undertaker should I purchase from the market."

Ifran too rose, though there was a slight frown marring his features.

"I would be happy to do so, Grandfather. But do you truly feel that is a role that I must needs assume?" There, a chink in his armor: Ifran had always idolized his grandfather, but the old man had little time for young boys, and then young boys had apprenticeships, and then careers, and then there always seemed to be less time for things that were true amid the sea of glittering faces.

"I hope," he said quietly, "you do not think that."
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Lore Author (1)

The Aging Bough (Ifran)

Postby Colombina on November 17th, 2011, 6:34 am

Sadiki said nothing at first, only pivoted his head slightly to look at the livened Ifran. He folded his hands in a gesture that implied both satisfaction and amusement, as if he had presented a path and it was taken. Though, nothing else about him spoke of anything more than common understanding.

He walked with Ifran, returning the memorized path to the dwelling spaces.

“You give dangerous replies, Ifran. They hint towards sincerity. They are treacherous to both of us. If I believe and you are all artifice, aiming only to coax my regard, I am a fool. The end of that is either your victory or my wrath. But if you are susceptible to be moved by the feelings of others, then you have relinquished some of your power.”

Sadiki gave Ifran space to swallow the blunt words.

“I relinquished power to Bashti over fifteen eras ago, but it was returned to me in a different shape and I—I had the pleasure you may not yet understand. It is the pleasure of old men: to see what one has guided and tended bloom beyond yourself.”

Sadiki’s time was precious and becoming all the more valuable as the days accumulated rapidly into eras. A private meeting of this sort would not be repeated for at least a season. What guidance he had to offer had to be tightly wound and rapidly given. Even simple observances would give way to object lessons.

When Sadiki finally descended to the present question, Ifran could hear a regret in his grandfather’s voice, but it had been burnished to the point of vague wistfulness.

“I think that I have not given you enough of my time to assume more without being a tyrant. And as I grow in age and you in independence, I fear I haven’t the eras to mend this oversight.”

He grasped his grandson’s shoulder.

“That is why I only ask indulgence, Ifran. Indulgence in exchange for all the opportunity I have labored to give you.”
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

The Aging Bough (Ifran)

Postby Ifran on November 20th, 2011, 2:53 am

As they walked, Sadiki spoke, and Ifran merely listened, attempting to keep his mind out of its own way, trying not to jump to conclusions before the old man had had his say. When Sadiki took him by the shoulders, he met his gaze earnestly, or with, perhaps, an earnest mask. It was difficult to tell anymore.

He nodded.

"My indulgence is yours, grandfather." His speech remained simple, clear, needing next to no time to understand completely. "And if I walk the knife's edge, it is only because I knew no other path. The first time I saw the Pressorah in procession, I dreamed of wedding her, or even her sister. Of twining our family into theirs, to keep her on the throne and maintain our House's influence.

"But I am only your grandson unless you make me more. I cannot enter into power without your approval." He knew what happened to upstarts against the regime, even within a family. Especially within a Noble House. It was known.

"You have my indulgence," he repeated, "in exchange for whatever time you will allow me."
Ifran
House of the North Winds

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Lore Author (1)

The Aging Bough (Ifran)

Postby Colombina on May 12th, 2012, 6:45 pm

"Yes, it is better to be lifted than to throw others aside."
Sadiki replied to Ifran's confession that he awaited the extended scepter from his grandfather.
"And better yet to earn that esteem."

The old Eypharian made another show of unyielding joints as they walked up the stereobates. It might have been intended to gratify his young grandson. A young man could remember to glory in his strength when faced with the frailty of age.

They had reached the entrance to Sadiki's garden library, a small space his children had only seen through screens. It was understood that none followed him into this cloister.

"I give you permission to begin to earn that esteem with a single accomplishment of your choosing, Ifran. Within reason, the house resources may be at your command for this one endeavor. Take care how you shape this leeway. I expect to see its fruition within several years."
The elder Eypharian almost smiled.
"It is your leadership debut."

Sadiki waited for Ifran's answer before returning to his garden study. The roles had been cast. Only time would tell if Ifran's performance would please the patron.

Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

The Aging Bough (Ifran)

Postby Colombina on May 26th, 2012, 7:45 pm

The XP Wand Is Waved!

Always good fun parrying words with nobles!

PC's Loot

4 XP Rhetoric (I know, I know, but Ifran actually uses this)
2 XP Persuasion
1 XP Acting
Lore of Sadiki's Outlook on the WW's and SW's women
Lore of the layout of the garden of the NW's
Lore of Sadiki's usual temperament

Special Goodies

Greater access to house resources, within reason, to both create a production and to perform a single act displaying a capacity for leadership.

Colombina is pleased.
Getting to Know Me

Colombina

Office
Scrapbook

Previous