Field Trip (Jaeden & Sam)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 18th, 2010, 5:57 am

"Petching slavers," he muttered.

He had little to add beyond that, but took Jaeden's empty bowl and went to clean their eating utensils. When he returned, his mood had improved.

"Skinning time..."
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on April 19th, 2010, 9:07 pm

When Sam had returned, Jaeden was in the process of setting up snares around the camp. “Grand, I’m just setting up some noise makers in case we have any inquisitive animals over the course of the night,” Jaeden informed as he pointed out the markers so that Sam would know where they were. “Get some sleep after you’re done with that. Don’t want to be too groggy when haggling with shop vendors.”

Jaeden continued his work, while idly gnawing along a stick of dried beef, saving the rest of the fresh meat for later cooking or drying. His hands worked carefully along a trip rope he had anchored along the ground, a subtle tug to it causing a small number of sticks hang in a nearby tree to rattle together.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 20th, 2010, 4:27 am

Sam nodded, put the utensils away, and returned with his hunting knife and the furry animal corpses to skin by firelight.

"This is going to be hard without the sun," he observed, but he didn't want to do it in the morning when they would have more of a chance to decompose. There was nothing to do but get it over with so he could wash his hands and go to sleep, the sooner to wander back to town with the fresher meats to sell and barter.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jaeden Kincade on April 21st, 2010, 2:02 am

Jaeden, soon after setting traps around the camp, stepped over next to Sam. He reached down, grabbing one of the foxes as he slowly began to skin it. “I could always use the practice,” Jaeden simply said, as he began sliding the knife along the fox’s belly. “Some of the ladies with a fair amount of coin up in Syliras might like these skins.”

Jaeden slowly began peeling back the skin, giving small, quick slices before looking over towards Sam. “You get to cut away the meat though, if you want it,” Jaeden commented as he slowly turned the fox over, “never had fox meat before.”

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 21st, 2010, 8:59 pm

"Oh, I have," Sam chimed in, carefully working on the other fox. "Get hungry enough and you'll eat anything. Or I'll eat anything. You wouldn't know it from looking at me, I guess." He smiled ruefully; perhaps with regular feeding and a more sedentary lifestyle, he would be able to put on weight, but so far he had little to show for any past meals.

"Is it even cold enough here to wear furs?" he asked. Of course, he had only come to Syliras with the spring so he knew little of their winter.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jaeden Kincade on April 24th, 2010, 8:50 am

“Oh yes, it certainly does get cold enough. High elevation and cold air that falls down from the Cobalt Mountains makes the winter bitterly cold sometimes.” Jaeden replied as he began cutting away the meat from the fox, using Sam’s preservation kit to make stores for it. He then looked to Sam. “Fox furs are more elegant in terms of color and texture than they are warm, though. So it’s possible they’d sell better to those looking to make something a little more fashionable for ladies. Still, you’d just have to shop around in the end.”

Jaeden then looked around the forest. “If you wanted something for warmth, you’d want to go after creatures like elk and deer. Their furs will be larger, obviously, and typically thicker skinned.” Jaeden then explained. “You could go after a Barkbear as well, but they’re notoriously difficult to hunt, and dangerous. They’re large, strong, and normally stick to the trees unlike normal bears. It’s one of the creatures to really look out for while around these parts. Not any serious worries in this patch of the forest, though. I scouted the area for signs of them before bringing you here and didn't find any."

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 24th, 2010, 6:55 pm

"I will definitely need a bow for that," he decided, finishing up with the fox as best he could and then getting to the preserving part. They didn't really have what it took to cure hides and all, but if they sold them quickly enough in town, the furriers could deal with that. "Perhaps have some fur-lined things made so I don't look like a barbarian or something. People here think they're so civilized."

He grinned and started cleaning up. If he smelled like blood, it was more likely a predator might sniff him out while he slept, fire and traps or no.

"Tired?"
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jaeden Kincade on April 24th, 2010, 11:50 pm

Jaeden finished up with the last small animal, beginning to clean up as well as he took a moment to look over their work. He then looked to Sam, giving a subtle nod of his head. “Yeah, furs are important in the winter. The cold will sap the energy right out of you. It’s a good idea to have some winter blankets as well for camping, so you can keep warm and get a good nights sleep.” Jaeden said before wiping his knife clean of animal blood.

He then slowly gazed at the meat that was still drying out before looking at Sam over his simple question. “After a day of hunting like today, yeah it’d be rather easy to catch some sleep.” Jaeden commented before tossing the rag next to his pack. “Go ahead and turn in, I’m going to gather a little more wood for the fire before doing so myself.”

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 25th, 2010, 2:11 am

"All right, dad. All right." He grinned and put out his bedroll. "Goodnight and... thanks."

END
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dusk on April 28th, 2010, 5:13 am

XP Award!

ImageJaeden

XP Award
Riding: 1 XP
Tracking: 2 XP
Teaching: 1 XP
Field Dressing: 2 XP
Food Preservation: 1 XP
Cooking: 1 XP
Trapping: 1 XP

Samael

XP Award
Horsemanship: 1 XP
Tracking: 2 XP
Trapping: 1 XP
Longbow: 1 XP
Field Dressing: 1 XP

Lore Award
Wilderness around Stormhold Castle
Differences in Snares
Fauna of Syliras (poor)

Additional Note
Babes in the woods! Samael, make sure that in a training thread you take every opportunity to have your character actually perform the things you're trying to learn since that's how you get the XP for it. For instance, when Jaeden offered him the knife to skin the elk, or glossing over the skinning/preservation of the smaller animals - or even writing out when he'd come across the foxes in the traps and perhaps had to kill one. Plenty of opportunities to expand on your character's experiences and thus get more Experience Points. Not a huge deal, but if you're trying to learn a skill the best way of learning is doing. :)

Jaeden, kudos for all the subtle nods! He actually makes a pretty good teacher. As a note, I'm working on a Butcher Shop for Syliras in the coming weeks, so you'll have someone to make requests for certain animals if you're in the mood for a hunt. ;)
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Previous