[Kaeson's Scrapbook] Weightless words and other ramblings

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Kaeson Dakano on June 18th, 2012, 5:56 pm

So.

I guess I'm finally getting around to doing a scrapbook, which is good. I think.

I get distracted very easily, much like my PC character Kaeson. Take this scrapbook for example, I've been meaning to do one for a really long time now -- maybe since I joined Mizahar. I finally got around to it last night, and then I remembered Tru Blood was on so instead I went to watch it.

Anyway so I'm finally getting around to doing one of these and I have no idea how to start, so I'm basically writing off whatever pops into my head first. I'm thinking maybe a list of random things? I dunno.

Mizahar is my first role playing experience -- I love it. So much. I originally joined as a way to improve my writing in a creative way, but I'm staying because I just love the whole idea and concept behind the site. Since Mizahar is my first role playing experience I can't really say much about other sites, but I'm a huuuuuuge fan of the immense collection of original lore here -- I think I've read every page twice now, my favorite being the Kelvics. It is, at least I think, an extremely original take on the whole werewolf idea. Way cool.

I've been having issues writing as Kaeson -- I don't think I really thought out his character so much when I did his CS. Whatever, I guess I'll see wherever it is his character takes itself through the summer season. Hopefully, I'll get a better idea as to who Kaeson really is by the end of summer.
Kaeson Dakano
Witchin' Wizard

Words: 120420
Joined roleplay: April 26th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Anselm on June 21st, 2012, 3:14 am

The trick is to listen to Kaeson and let him tell you what he would do in whatever the current story situation is. Then write that. Of course that's easier said than done. I think the hardest part is keeping yourself out of it and letting the character reveal himself.

Anselm has had a couple interactions with Kaeson. I think your character is developing nicely. Maybe give him some not-so-nice personality traits and let them surface in some conversation.
Anselm
Being dead ain't so bad

Words: 203207
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2012, 3:56 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Kaeson Dakano on July 6th, 2012, 9:26 pm

I'm beginning to hate Kaeson.

Well, not so much hate, but it is a strong irritation. I can't hear his character's voice, and I feel like I'm writing too plainly -- perhaps I'm just using my own inability to develop his character to justify my lousy writing? Or maybe it's the IPad.

Whatever, but I'm strongly considering letting someone kill him or have him fall into the sea. Too bad he can't swim >:)

The thing is I really don't want to kill him, I really don't want to start over. I think he has an amazing backstory, but of course, I'm biased.

At least I figured out how to murder his grandmother, get Kaeson to witness it, and still managed to get back to Syliras unharmed. Woot!
Kaeson Dakano
Witchin' Wizard

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 7th, 2012, 4:04 am

My suggestion?

Anytime someone feels like a character is getting stale, not working, or having some sort of problem, I find a good solution is to place that character in an unusual situation that they aren't used to. It forces you to think about what they will do, or how they will handle the situation. Stories, and characters as well, thrive on conflict. You can't keep a story going without conflict to create tension and fuel action.

The Syliras quest is likely a good way to do this, but even until then, you can try getting into some threads that push you out of your 'comfort zone.' Kaeson seems to do most of his threads either working on Animation projects, studying in school, or just socializing. So try putting him in some situation (whether it be solo or as a group) that makes him do something totally new.

Here's some suggestions of things that (as far as I've seen) Kaeson hasn't done, but which could add some new dimensions:
-Get into a romance
-Have a one night stand (even if its just with an NPC)
-Commit a crime (even if its either by accident, or as a result of desperation)
-Get into a fight with someone out of pure anger
-Go dancing
-Kill someone (even if its a pure accident, this could add some interesting guilt plots)
-Have one of his Automatons lose control (I did this with Tock and Cutty, and it was a very emotional thread)
-Find yourself in a situation where Kaeson thinks he is going to die

Any of these things could be a good challenge that forces Kaeson to grow.
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Hadrian on July 7th, 2012, 4:18 am

I call dibs on killing him! *raises hand*

I kid. But I would suggest holding on through the Syliras quest, because that should give you some new fodder for character development, but Tock can has good ideas too. Also, we could have a big Animator thread...? Once Hadrian's running the Orphanage, he might ask Kaeson and Tock to donate animated toys like he makes. He's not as good as they are, of course, so theirs would be super cool. Perhaps there could even be a contest (for Status Points too?)...

Sometimes it's just good to throw ideas against a wall with people and see what sticks.

Or Hadrian could always accidentally hypnotize something effed up into Kaeson's psyche...
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Minerva Agatha Zipporah on July 7th, 2012, 4:22 am

Hadrian wrote:
Or Hadrian could always accidentally hypnotize something effed up into Kaeson's psyche...

I like this idea!

I'd even let you do that to me. You know why? Because it makes me need to take my character out of her comfort zone and do something unexpected. Unexpected things make the BEST stories!
Minerva Agatha Zipporah
Quirky Gadgeteer

Words: 1329519
Joined roleplay: April 21st, 2012, 4:50 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Hadrian on July 7th, 2012, 4:42 am

Lemme get him up to Expert so he can do some really amazing goof-up. He's close to being able to work full-blown hallucinations, but he won't be able to work obsessions until he's a Master.

You are all so lucky he has a moral code. It's a weird one, but he has one!
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Wrenmae on July 7th, 2012, 8:17 am

...I can also mess you up with hypnosis. I also can theoretically give you some plot complications...toss me a pm and we can speak more of it :P

Sig by Shausha

This PC has the Blight gnosis. As such, you as a player need to be aware of what that consists of. Wrenmae has an invisible aura that amplifies sickness and disease. Wounds may become infected, small sneezes may become coughing, and a slight fever may become more serious. A nuit's body will also break down faster in the presence of the Blight. These effects may not be immediate, but within the few days following your encounter, the symptoms will manifest. Some sooner than others. I cannot control your character, so creativity will be left up to you. Best wishes and stay healthy!

Special shoutout to Fallon for my new CS
Wrenmae
Taleweaver

Words: 1276299
Joined roleplay: April 15th, 2011, 6:34 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Kaeson Dakano on July 8th, 2012, 3:36 am

Ahhh so many ideas, thank you guys!

I really liked all the ideas, especially the hypnotism one -- I feel like we could really screw with Kaeson's life that way, haha.

And you make an excellent point, Tock -- I've played Kaeson relatively safe so far - maybe a one night stand would spice up his life, in more ways then one ;) haha. I also like the idea of Kaeson killing someone, maybe I'll get a chance to write that out sometime over the Syliras quest.

Hopefully Kaeson's upcoming gnosis quest will bring out some more of his character.
Kaeson Dakano
Witchin' Wizard

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes