Stargazing and Retrospect

In which Marin meets Professor Cyril in astronomy class

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Marin on June 25th, 2012, 3:30 pm

2nd Summer, 512

It was after a beautiful sunset that Marin had his first astronomy class. This made sense of course, for most of the studying would be at night. On his walk from his new dorm to the sky tower he stopped to watch the red sun fall behind the horizon. Of course, the sun ended up falling behind the houses and shops of Zeltiva first, but Marin ignored this small fact.

He stepped inside.
The tower was huge! He had seen it from distances, but never so close. The glass made every sound echo and every voice sound huge. The floor was a beautiful work of art, stone swirling around in starry patterns. There were strange instruments used for observations and measurements covering the small table space there was in the tower. Over to the right there was a large telescope. This is my new favorite place. I understand now why my father always came home late after being in the astronomy tower… It is so free, the sky so open. Being 25 feet above the west wing is like flying... But... Not...Marin continued to think. What would it be like with the sea winds, the glass open? Oh! It must be bliss!

Close to the farthest edge from Marin stood Professor Cyril. He was a young man, new at the university. I wonder what he will be like… Marin took a closer look at him. He wore simple clothes and glasses, his arms folded behind him. A student went over to talk to him, and he turned, looking very happy. His attitude was bouncy, and quite unique as he talked to the student. He will definitely be an interesting teacher!Marin continued to watch as he chatted casually with the student. He used his hands with passion as he spoke.

Students were still slowly appearing, though the time was obviously after when the class was supposed to have started. Professor Cyril didn’t seem to mind, though he still reprimanded the late students. “Directly after sunset, young scoundrels! Time is astronomy too!” He then turned to address the class.

“For the first day, I feel like we should get a feel of the sky tower. We will be spending a lot of time here and in the classroom, observing, studying, and noting different information about the sky and stars. Just look up. I tend say that a lot. It will be one of the most helpful things to you in this class! Byproducts of course include stiff necks.” He gently massaged his neck as he said this, gingerly as if he had been staring up at the stars recently. “I will start by saying that unlike other teachers here, I will not be giving you one of those boring 'you just started this class lectures' today. Today we will start our basic observations... But tomorrow! Tomorrow...you get one of those 'you just started this class lectures'!” At this, Professor Cyril chuckled to himself. What a silly man.

Professor Cyril started explaining what we would be looking for. Marin was already looking for things his father had noted in the sky. “Does anybody know what that star there is?” The professor pointed off in some random direction, hoping most people would follow. He waited for an answer; most students just stared blankly at the starry night sky. The professor however had a bright look on his face, a face filled with knowledge. “I assume the echoing silence is your empty brains speaking?” He chuckled to himself again. “That star is one of the first stars we will be studying. The direction star is the most common name. Many sailors and travelers use this star as it is always to the north.” Professor Cyril continued talking about the star. It would be fun to be a sailor… Marin started thinking as the Professor continued on. It would be just like all of the ships at the dock I used to see. I loved the dock as a child, always watching the little fish with childhood friends… I wonder where they are today… “…and then the captain said…” The ships that docked there are always so majestic, the sails full of the sea wind, the masts that cut the cool air… My mother used to love watching the ships with me… We would sit near the dock while ships pulled in and out of the bay and she would tell me stories about the glorious captains that sailed the blue sea… About the dirty pirates that would loot and steal! “…this way you can tell that the star…” I should go watch the ships again someday…
Marin
(Really Impressive Title Here)

Words: 31725
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2012, 3:46 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Marin on June 26th, 2012, 12:03 am

“I think it is time to observe. Let us lay down and watch the stars for a bit. You can note things down if you have paper. Later you can use those notes when we make star charts.” The Professor woke Marin from his thoughts. “Don’t fall asleep now! I won’t pick you up when class is over!”

The class lay out on the dome floor, some fighting for a good view. Marin moved over to the edge of the dome, where the glass meeting the stone floor. He lay, close to the glass. The cold of the stone floor penetrated his clothes, giving him shivers. Through his pane of glass he could see a section of the stars, all laid out as if by Professor Cyril himself: scattered and unorganized. Marin found himself chuckling to himself as Professor Cyril did at this thought. If only he could! Fly up to the sky and place the stars! Maybe he would throw them!

Marin once again was startled out of his thought by a student coughing on the other side of the dome. Some of the students were quietly whispering to each other, pointing at the ceiling of the dome. Some had obvious interest in the subject, others seemed sleepy and distracted. He refocused on the starry night, trying to pick out stars that his father knew by the names he called them. That blue one... ...I recognize... Hmm....

One of them stuck out to Marin, but the name was hidden in the days of his childhood.

Time passed quickly and the allotted class period was soon over. Most of the class got up and left. A few stragglers left soon after. Marin didn’t want to leave. He was very comfortable in his place; the stone now warm like his body, his view a pane of the sky. What could make one want to leave? Ten minutes later Professor Cyril came over to Marin and stood over him, blocking his view of the dark abyss.
“Are you enjoying this too much? Or are you planning on sleeping under the stars tonight?”

“It is quite the view…”
Marin met Professor Cyril’s eyes, his stare deep.

“Yes… The most beautiful in my opinion.”

Professor Cyril looked up, moving out of Marin’s view. He stared up at the sky again. The dome became quiet. For a long time Marin and the Professor watched the stars in mutual silence.

Marin spoke up.
“Professor Cyril? If I may ask, what is that star, there?” Marin pointed at the star he once recognized.

“Of course you may ask! I am a teacher, am I not?” The Professor glanced at the star for a moment, quickly able to recognize its name. “That is a Lost Star. I would say it probably gets its history from long lost legends… Some of these stars are lost in history themselves…” He trailed off into silence again, reflecting on the stars.

“My father used to tell me stories about that star.”
“Ah.”
The Professor didn’t seem too interested, but more distracted by something.

What an interesting man.What might his history be? What would have made him want to be such a teacher… “Why not go sailing with your knowledge?” Marin accidentally said his thoughts aloud. Shoot! I hope he doesn’t kill me! Oh why, silly brain?!
“What?” Professor Cyril didn’t seem to understand. Shoot! He doesn’t even understand! What a great way to get introduced to your new teacher…

“Oh! Of course… I guess I feel as if sharing my knowledge was always the best thing to do… I don’t know if I could handle such voyages… I think students would understand me better anyhow.”

He said the last statement matter-o-factly, almost like a stubborn child. He understood me! Oh good!
Marin peeled himself from the floor, wondering what time it was. “Stars tend to make me think... I didn't mean to actually say that aloud... But I’m glad that you chose to do so!”
“Yes... Stars can do that... The sky is one of the most pensive things in the world...”

We once again dropped into a mutual silence, both of us watching the swirling sky, the stars like dust of the gods. If only one could retrieve one to look at... What a scientific genius you would be! It would be one of the most beautiful things on earth! Men would swarm to see it!

“It was good talking to you sir, but now it is time to sleep… And not under the stars, sadly enough. I feel as if a bed would do my body better.”

The Professor smiled, and watched Marin leave the dome. As Marin walked to his dorm, he thought about the night. I wonder if he will ever go home. Or even sleep? The night sky watched him as he trudged sleepily through the various streets on the way to the dormitories. Shops were closed, the university buildings were closed, and the lights of the city were dim. The moon guided him home. Marin arrived; fell into his bed, and lay, his brain still active from the night. Tomorrow I might get up and watch the ships... Remember the days when I still had her around... And him... I still remember those days... I still do... With that, Marin was quickly asleep.
Marin
(Really Impressive Title Here)

Words: 31725
Joined roleplay: May 9th, 2012, 3:46 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Cascade on July 10th, 2012, 3:15 pm

Adventurer's Loot

Marin's Loot :
Marin

Skill XP Reward
Observation +1
Astronomy +2

Lore:
Professor Cyril
Zeltiva University: Astronomy Tower
Daydreaming in Class
The Lost Star
When you say "Sky Tower", I assume you meant the Astronomy Tower. :) Anyway, short but nice thread. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)