[Kelp Bar] The Old Rot Gut

Marcus Dymez // While Hadrian reacquaints himself with Kelp Beer, he meets someone new.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Hadrian on June 17th, 2012, 5:59 pm

It was a strange divide, he thought, the watershed between student days and those beyond. He imagined he was only a few scant years older than this one, but he had graduated, spent two years abroad, and come back with more of the weight of the world upon his shoulders, more knowledge, more experience, and perhaps more wisdom. He hoped the Regents knew he could not teach wisdom. It was not something one could hold, or one could teach. He could but raise the lantern and point the way. His students would have to cover the terrain themselves.

Of course he couldn't read Marcus' mind, didn't know that the name he gave was an alias, but he never forgot an aura, so this man didn't know Andry Ellis or any of his other aliases, only who he was. Though he thought if he continued to grow in Ionu's favor, and if he continued with the side business of espionage, even Hadrian Aelius might become another alias, and then who would he really be?

He looked up with his storm-brightened eyes. "You haven't offended me."

His aura flared and he looked down, eyes hardening as he protected himself from the faint spirit's attempt to inhabit his body. It wasn't a difficult thing to do; even having fed upon the soulmist, the ghost was hardly manifested. He didn't think it had malicious intent. It seemed so weakened that its will was probably instinctive, following the trail from soulmist to its progenitor, but it had run its metaphorical head into a metaphorical brick wall when it hit even a novice spiritist's aura.

He looked up again.

"I am Hadrian Aelius, a professor at the University of Zeltiva." That was the truth.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 18th, 2012, 5:59 pm

Marcus smiled at his companion across the table, taking a healthy sip from his shortly-forgotten tankard of ale. It was reassuring to hear his voice so matter-of-factually, and he regarded such confidence highly. In a more dramatic setting, Marcus could imagine lightning striking in the background as the words bellowed through the air. But there were more important things to focus on, now that his position at the University was established. Marcus had originally sought out this curious fellow because of the strange aura that seemed to exude around him, not of the magical sort per se, but more of a social birth; an aura that is gained when a man has power and knows it. But Hadrian did not flaunt his grace, nor did he announce his skill. Marcus saw this and originally thought of it as a noble humility, but shrewdly he discovered a more appropriate label.

Caution, one word that Marcus was not too familiar with.

Why expose your secrets when they're not in danger? If a man a knows his advantages and is assured a victory, there is no need to arrogantly voice his certainty. He simply waits in quiet, eager to finish the fight in such a prescribed manner. Calculated and wary, that was how Marcus pinned this mysterious professor who had his hands everywhere. A smooth contrast to this young student who often threw caution to the sea-borne wind, and improvised on a whim. The two had some similar ideas, and perhaps in execution they had resemblances, but their personalities were quite apart. Marcus smirked playfully as he laid his hands on the table, lacing them together in an arc above the wooden surface. His emerald eyes gleamed with curiosity and a strong will, echoed by the few words that rode the air between them.

"So, how about you teach me something then, Hadrian?"
Marcus Dymez
Imagination is oft confused with Insanity.

Words: 134886
Joined roleplay: May 28th, 2012, 12:02 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on June 23rd, 2012, 6:22 am

Slowly, and of his own free will, Hadrian allowed the wisp of a ghost into him, gently stepping aside as it took control of his body. There was something about his eyes that changed, something indefinable, but the change in posture was clear, hunching and leaning forward onto the table as if he hadn't the strength to sit up straight.

Those eyes sought Marcus' face, desperate for some news. It took a moment for him to form words.

"B-Beleane? H-have you seen h-her?" But soon he was drifting again, shivering. "So c-c-cold." Then he hummed a sigh that was almost contented, the ghostling taking comfort and refuge in Hadrian's body. His eyes closed against that feeling, and gradually his body straightened up, and when his eyes opened, he was Hadrian again. Inside, he held the spirit in its own compartment. It could likely escape if it wanted to do so, but it was frightened and lonely, and he would feed it again later, build up its strength, and see what would become of it.

Clearly Hadrian was willing to take risks in his own learning. He peered at Marcus for a moment, then another, long enough that his companion might well have guessed that he had lost the thread of conversation. But when he spoke, it was to the question asked.

"I've become a courtesan of academia," he said with a vague smile. "No longer the dockside hussy one can pick up for a coin and a compliment. Speak to the registrar if you are looking for a teacher. If I have a streak of altruism, you would have to dig deep to find it."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Marcus Dymez on June 25th, 2012, 1:45 am

Marcus leaned forward, his eyes growing wide when the ghost began to babble about past concerns long since vanished. It was not surprise that took hold of him, but rather an eager curiosity. The young scholar listened attentively as the spirit continued, but Marcus had to admit to a bit of disappointment when two rough phrases were all that came of it. He assumed Hadrian had held him back, possibly keeping him captive in his body, but he did not pry into the matter. It was not his skill nor his knowledge.

But at Hadrian's quaint metaphor, Marcus could not help but laugh. It was truly the best way to phrase such things, and for that, Marcus could respect the professor that sat before him. He raised a mug to Hadrian, and a casual smirk fell in place across his features. "Well said. I'm sure your arrangement will work out quite well; I hear Academia is quite fond of committed partners." Marcus sat back in his seat, welcoming the brace, regardless of how rough it truly was. The professor across from his was a mysterious sort, reserved and hesitant to a point. It was a safe habit for someone like him, Marcus was sure, but it didn't less the curiosity of the thought. He decided on playing at another tactic.

A small smile pervaded his expression, as Marcus moved to speak once more, his arms coming to lean solidly on the wooden surface in front of him. It was a bluff of sorts, but Marcus found that lies were often best when mixed with nuggets of truth. "So, I'm certain a professor of your regard has heard of the new provisions being put in place at the University. Mind my curiosity, but what do you think of the new article concerning professor priorities at the library?" He pointedly avoided any details, hoping Hadrian took the bait. His curiosity began to imagine various replies and assumptions, each carrying some sort of magic in their midst. This was more of a taunt than anything else, and Marcus knew there was some amount of risk involved, but this would not be the first time his curious streak pushed him to throw caution to the sea-borne wind. And so he waited, a polite smile across his face.

Marcus really wanted to know what Hadrian thought of this new addendum.
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on June 29th, 2012, 4:27 am

The spirit trembled within him, too weak to do anything, but really more afraid than anything else. Hadrian tried to be gentle, holding his body aloof from its will without bruising it if that was even possible. It could leave his body and he would not stop it, and he wondered if there was some way to feed it on his own soul stuff without transforming it into soulmist if it was inhabiting his body. He began to think that might not be such a good idea, but he would look into it later.

He actually chuckled when Callus returned the metaphor.

"I am a teacher. I am willing to teach. But remember that there comes a point where you have to believe that your work is worth something, and that it should not be given away without some form of recompense. If I have learned anything, it is that there must be equilibrium. If you give, you must take. Whether that energy exchange be pure energy or coin, which is symbolic of energy, you must get back what you give out or you will fade away." And there was a bit of instruction if Callus would take it. If Hadrian took anything back, it was amusement.

When the student continued, Hadrian frowned thoughtfully. "I must have missed the memo," he admitted. "I am new and I have a lot of catching up to do."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Marcus Dymez on July 1st, 2012, 4:11 am

Marcus was not the kind of man to refuse the wealth of wisdom. As the professor before him spoke of the importance of balance, and the principle of equivalent exchange, the young student simply nodded his head. It was a well-worn idiom that most scholars had heard throughout some point in their studies, but fewer still actually practiced it. It was quite refreshing for Marcus to find a man who at the very least found the concept worth preaching. "On that regard, we can agree. Balance is always something one should watch, especially in such obscure arts as ours." He used the word 'arts' loosely, painfully aware of how little he really knew about this purposefully-reserved professor. All he needed to know however, was that he did not want to cross paths with this man, under any circumstances.

But that was not of any current importance.

When Hadrian had responded to the young scholar's ruse, a voice most innocent slipped past Marcus' lips. It carried curious concern and pleasant banter as it slowly weaved through the air. "Ah, well, I'm more than certain you'll find a few memos for your browsing. Things at the University have been undergoing quite a renewal as of late, for better or for worse." Marcus shrugged as his words came to a close, the apathy apparent in his expression. In all honesty, the young wizard had no qualms with the changes being made to the daily routine of the University. A small smirk found its way across Marcus' expression as he thought over the interesting developments of the past week, and thought back on the new changes to the University with a more entertained light. That these renovations occurred at the same time certain positions found themselves vacant most likely was not a coincidence, but this simply meant more experience and practice on his own time, instead of in a lazily-attended lecture.

All-in-all, things were changing, and Marcus was more than happy to ride the waves as they crashed onto the shore of his life.
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on July 3rd, 2012, 5:08 am

Hadrian hadn't the heart to expel the poor spirit, but harbored it within him. Perhaps later, at home, he might rest and produce more soulmist for it, nurse it back to a more robust, more sentient form, if such a word was appropriate for something that was incorporeal. All this was still new ground for him to cover, more of his attention spent in other areas, but he was glad to have the awareness of the spirit realm, and the ability to block things from himself; the weaker ones, at least.

"Equilibrium is not static, and change is the only constant." He'd got that from mathematical studies as much as philosophical and magical, but he was going to have to repair to his home -- whichever was closest now -- and meditate, feed his aura, and then this ghost. He no longer wished to do that while verbally fencing with a student.

He stood. "I should be off, but perhaps I will see you in the halls of the University." Certainly he did not want to ward off potential students, but he would always be an odd duck.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Marcus Dymez on July 4th, 2012, 12:33 am

Marcus found himself quite at odds with the man before him. His demeanor and nature seemed to expel the typical scholarly aura of earned wisdom and reserved secrets, but there was something more to him; something that set him quite apart from the rest of the faculty at the University. The thing was, strangely enough, Marcus had found himself quite content with the mystery, a rare occurrence in its own right.

The young scholar's curiosity rarely took a break, but any man knew that trying to break down a door of steel with only your fist was an impossible task. Such was the situation before him, and without thought Marcus found himself giving a deep nod of his head as he stood along with temporary companion, the professor speaking cordially about his departure. Formality was quite a nice veil at times.

A polite and calm voice came out above the din of the tavern, as the unusual encounter in an unusual place came to a close. "Take care then, Hadrian. I look forward to our next meeting..." A smirk slithered its way upon the curious student's face as his new acquaintance made his exit. The University itself was quite an interesting place, but the people who made their legacies there were another story entirely.
Marcus Dymez

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sphinx on July 30th, 2012, 8:46 am

Thread Award!

Character Name: Hadrian
Skills: Auristics +1, Rhetoric +2, Spritism +2,
Lore: Names and the Names People Use, Playing with a Lost Soul, Keeping Another Soul Within,
Notes: Watching the auras of the patrons, the chatting, you rejected the ghost's attempt to possess you... and letting him take you over anyway,

Character Name: Marcus Dymez
Skills: Observation +2, Rhetoric +2,
Lore: Names and the Names People Use, [Hadrian] A Curious Wizard,
Notes: Deducing Hadrian is a wizard, Rhetoric for the friendly banter,

This is my first time dealing with Spritism, honestly. I don't believe you used blood in the mixture, Hadrian, so I didn't give you points for that.

If you have questions, concerns, or comments about my grading, please don't be afraid to PM me.
Sphinx
She smiled, and it was frightening.

Words: 76081
Joined roleplay: May 29th, 2012, 6:54 pm
Race: Kelvic
Office
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Previous