Nosferious 02 Spring 510[Training Thread]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Nosferious_Kainetu on May 1st, 2010, 8:57 pm

2nd day of Spring, Year 510 AV
Complete Thread.
Sorry if I didn't do this right. Please have patience with me and my so called literary skills.

Hello New Students.

Paragraph 1-5.

. . . .'Oh how exciting!' Nosferious thought to himself, a book at hand that he read midst his wandering the halls. 'I can't believe I've almost held onto this job for two years! Oh the joy of teaching, I simply cannot contain it anymore! Even better, I believe we have a few new students coming in today. I still can't beleive she had twins. Yet another joy in this world I will get to share as I teach them!'

. . . .On this day, Nosferious wore a usual white cotton shirt, tucked into brown cotton pants. His shoes were made of leather, the top of the shoes well cleaned, but the bottom wearing from long time use. He also had on his thin frame something that became a trademark in his class, being his usual long green robes that would not move in the wind, weighed down by the books in it's many pockets.

. . . .Though he was wandering the halls with his face deep in his book, he stepped aside at the passing of two maidens, not wanting to run into them and their chatter. It took another minute before he came upon a wooden door, though long since worn, was solid and thick. Slowly he creaked it open, the world of knowledge awaiting within.

. . . ."Good Morning Class!" He exclaimed in an excited voice, raising his hands in the air. Everyone was surprisingly silent this morning, their eyes locked upon his face. This puzzled Nosferious until a surprise came up from behind. Two voices yelling out in unison as they dart around both sides of him, "Now!"

. . . .Quickly his eyes darted to the two figures quickly dashing in circles around him, each holding a rope that was becoming fairly attached to his legs as they ran. "He-" He paused trying to figure out what was going on, "Hey now, what is this?" He asked trying to move forward and falling towards the floor.

Paragraph 6-10.

. . . .Before he even knew it, the two from before were already on top of him, grabbing at his wrists together and tying them back. By the time Nosferious registered what was going on it was too late, both hands and legs being tied by the two of them. As he stared up he noticed the two faces hanging over him, their faces finally registering over the laughter of the class. "Oh. Hello Kiyu and Kinu." Nosferious said, not paying much heed to the current situation.

. . . .The two of them grinned their grins, once more speaking in unison, "We got you!" This may seem like trouble at first but he knew them all too well. 'Since the day they were born they enjoyed beating me. When I held them as children they would both hit at my face. When they learned to walk they would both push objects into my walking path. Now that they're in my class, I can only imagine the fun they have in store for me.'

. . . .Kiyu knelt down near the fallen teacher and undid the rope, a smile remaining on her face, hidden slightly by her long brown hair. Kinu on the other hand simply stood there, still mocking me over his victory. After a minute I stood up, the ropes undone, needing to wipe some dirt dragged in by the class from my robes.

. . . ."Alright now," Nosferious said with a smile towards the two newcomers, "It's time to get to your seats." Kinu and Kiyu did as they were told, taking two spare seats next to each-other. This of course raised a thought in Nosferious' head, 'what hells will be wrought if they sit together in class.' He quickly shook his head, voiding the thought as he grabbed a bit of chalk from the board.

. . . .Across the board, letters and numbers were spread out in large shapes. He turned to the class with a smile, "Alright. Under your chair are your supplies, please copy what I have up here." From end to end, his eyes darted, watching the few students he had pick up their chalk and boards. The room was quick to fill with the pattering of the chalk as they did their best to write the letters and numbers, once in a while the horrid scratches sounding from a few of them.

Paragraph 11-15.

. . . .After they copied what Nosferious had written, they came up, each showing what they did. The first few did well, though some letters remained as squiggly as possible before being unreadable. Kinu and Kiyu had identical boards which was interesting. It was even down to the last mistake being made to identity. The only thing that was different was a small picture they had on the bottom of the board.

. . . .Everyone did well enough to continue on so Nosferious splashed a small bit of water on each of their boards, removing the markings from them, and then dried the boards off with an overused cloth. He then pointed to one of the students asking a simple question, "What is your name?" The student replied to him with haste, taking a small bow as she did, "Selena."

. . . .Nosferious took out a book from his robes, being a ledger of his current students. "Alright." He said standing up to the board and spelling it out loud, "S-E-L-E-N-A. Okay, now everyone, write it down, and say each letter as you do so. They all did so, repeating what he had said as they jotted down the name with their writings.

. . . .It was nice having a class of students actually willing to work this tiem. The previous class he had did not have much interest in listening to even half of what he had to teach. "Okay. Let's take a look at what you did." Once more they showed him what was done. This was repeated for each name. Kinu, Yani, Refiranal, Kiyu, Tobi.

. . . .As the last student finished up he clapped his hands together with a smile, "Excellent. Now for the fun part." Quickly he wiped off the boards and then watched each student. "Okay, now spell your own names." This gave students a pause, each of them looking up at his board of letters as they began writing once more.

Paragraph 16-20.

. . . .As the boards were returned he looked over them, examining the names. Selena, Yani, Refaramal, Kiyu, Kinu, Tobi. He handed the boards back to each of them, patting Refiranal on the head as he returned his. "You almost had it. Your name is pretty hard so we'll have to practice hard on it. Okay?"

. . . .He seemed saddened by this, giving a small pout at the idea. "That's not fair..." he said, probably giving reference to the fact that he had a difficult name. Nosferious could not help but smile at this, patting the boy one last time over the head, "Trust me. It can always be worse."

. . . .The boy shook his head at this, "Nu uh. It's not fair." This made Nosferious smile even brighter, standing back up to the board and strike at the board in haste. "N-O-S-F-E-R-I-O-U-S." He paused moving his hand below the name to spell out another name, "K-A-I-N-E-T-U." He turned towards the class and spoke a single question, "Who would like to trade me names?"

. . . .Everyone looked at the name but remained silent, a few of them looking at him as though a complete idiot standing up there spelling his own name. "Refaramal, you have a difficult name. But it just means you'll be smarter once you learn how to spell it. In fact, by the time you leave this class, I pray you'll know how to spell my name with ease. This goes for all of you."

. . . .A few of the students moaned at this, not wanting to have to learn how to spell something so big. However, they were going to have to. Nosferious wiped at his board, removing everything but the letters and the numbers which remained untouched at the top. On it he began writing another set of the letters, this time in columns rather a row.

Paragraph 21-25.

. . . .Now that they knew what they were going to be doing, Nosferious began teaching the true first steps. Understanding the soudns that go with the letters. The best starting example being of course, his first name. With the class he spelled out his name, and sounded out each sylable.

. . . ."Nosferious, N sounding as nn, O sounding as oh, S sounding as ss, F sounding as ff, E sounding as E~, R sounding as rrr, I Sounding as E~, O sounding as oh, U sounding as ew, S sounding as ss." he began, pointing towards each letter in the columns as he spelled it out, "With this, you can usually understand how to spell what you hear. However, sometimes the letters can get confusing, such as the I which sounded like the E."

. . . .He pointed out each letter, showing how C and K sounded alike, and how in certain conditions, E and I could sound alike. After a minute he paused, not wanting to overload them. "Okay. So let's start here." he said reaching for his book and holding it up. "Book. B-O-O-K. Spelled almost how it's sound."

. . . .He returned the book and pulled out a quill, "Quill. Q-U-I-L-L. Spelled almost exactly how it's sound." He then walked over to Selena, placing his hand on her head, "Selena. S-E-L-E-N-A. Spelled exactly how it sounds." He then walked over to Refiranal and placed his hand over the messy hair, "Refiranal, R-E-F-I-R-A-N-A-L. Spelled exactly how it sounds."

. . . .The class carried on the whole day about it. Pinpointing sounds in a name, showing the similarities of the sound to each letter. After a few bells chimed during this teaching he finally stopped, "Okay. Now. We're going to start with something difficult again. Refiranal, please spell your name out loud." He said this clasping his hands together with a smile over his face, watching his student at work.

Paragraph 26-30.

. . . ."Refiranal." the boy repeated in a shy tone, looking up at the board of letters again. "R-E-F...I...R-A-N-A-L?" he finished questioning his work. Nosferious frowned at him, patting his head again taking a serious tone. "Refiranal." He paused, catching the boys eyes with his serious tone, "You did it."

. . . .The boy smiled as his teacher went back up to the front of the class, "Once you understand the basics. You understand how to guess. Once you know how to guess something. You will usually know how to spell something just by hearing it." Nosferious said, pacing back and forth in his lecture.

. . . .Fourteen bells rang, stating the end of class. However, he waited at the door to stop them from their retreat from class. To each of them he held out paper, freshly ripped from his diary book, each having the letters written across the pages. "If you want to learn, then you'll practice. I have in my hands the letters of the board, and if you want to, you may take these so you can start remembering the alphabet."

. . . .Refiranal came up to the teacher with a smile, taking a piece of paper and looking at it, trying to spell out his teachers name, "N-O-S-F-E-R-E-O-U-S." he said with a smart voice, trying to place himself as superior to the days lesson. Nosferious couldn't help but clap at this, "Very well done, you understand how things spell near completely as they sound. N-O-S-F-E-R-I-O-U-S. You were just one off and" the teacher paused, seeming to pinch an invisible item in the air, "That Close!"

. . . .The students left, one of them trying to spell out the items on the way out, "K-A-N-D-L." and another, "B-R-I-K-S." He sighed at this, still having a bit more to teach them, however smiling at how smart the class was this time. He had a good group of students this round and thought this season to be a good one for him.

Be sure to come back tomorrow class!
Nosferious_Kainetu
Syliran Teacher

Words: 20391
Joined roleplay: April 28th, 2010, 7:41 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Dusk on May 4th, 2010, 9:16 pm

XP Award!

Nosferious

XP Award
Teaching: 3 XP

Lore Award
Childrens' Pranks
Finding a Teacher's Pet

Additional Note
This is a great training thread for Teaching! Well done! We actually have a skill write-up approved in the World Development thread, but it's not up in the Wiki yet. I'll see what I can do about getting it nudged up there so you'll have something more to look at for the skill.
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)