...what about "Discretion" and "Valor?" (Closed, Panex)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 19th, 2010, 11:13 pm

Gideon couldn't help but be lightly amused by the man. One moment he was quick to assume that Gideon was passing judgment on him, the next he was saying that their conversation had been inhibitory to learning. Nonetheless, Gideon had an ocean of patience for people. Temperance was the blade of the masterful, after all.

There is nothing mystical being discussed, Gideon looked at Panex's chest stoically. Consider a man with a blade to your neck. What is his purpose?

He waited for Panex to answer, mindful of the man's wit and his bitterness. His answer would explain much to Gideon.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Words: 24869
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2010, 5:54 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 19th, 2010, 11:35 pm

Panex snorts.

"What does that matter? If he's got a blade to my neck, I don't suppose his purpose enters into it. All sense of purpose fails the two of us. Instinct kicks in. I have to fight or die, and ultimately that's all that matters. No point in arguing purpose there."

He smirks and inclines his head.

"But if I had to guess, I'd say his purpose would be to kill me."
"Life is empty. Life is worthless. When I take life, I take nothing of value."

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Words: 7407
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2010, 4:36 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 19th, 2010, 11:45 pm

Gideon liked that he had given his own perspective on the situation. A loose end, something that Gideon would prefer to have tied up before the end of the conversation, but would settle for eventual confrontation on.

Purpose is the main issue, Panex, Gideon tilted his head, trying to discern what the man was thinking, knowing your enemy is as important as knowing how to swing a sword competently.

He sat back quietly, lifting his water to his lips and taking a sip before setting it down to speak once again.

Knowing why he seeks to kill you is a very powerful advantage. The hearts of men are their weakest points. If you know his reason, you can confront him both emotionally and physically. If you can glean that from his demeanor, if you can so much as hear something from him before his attack, you can break him from the inside out. Surely you can appreciate that, yes?

Gideon was not hesitant to tell Panex such weighty prospects. They might intimidate the man, fascinate him, but above all he might even thirst to know how to do such things. And in taking that responsibility, Panex would be forced to learn for himself why Gideon showed such compassion. It took a coward to kill, it took a true man to pick his battles.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 20th, 2010, 12:56 am

Panex inclines his head.

"You are not a man with whom subtleties are lost, yes? Then you must have noticed the stark contrast of my demeanor with my words. I don't do this solely because it amuses me. I do it partially to throw others off balance."

He frowns the slightest bit.

"I know what it is to eat away at the purpose of others. But when it comes to blows, I trust more in my blade than my voice."

Panex spoke as though he were a brute in combat, though he was anything but. He, too, preferred not to fight, but that was based more on survival than anything else.

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 20th, 2010, 4:21 am

Mayhaps, Gideon offered, though I have to wonder how much of that you can really hold up when the situation arises. After all, you have come to me asking for training, and I am giving it to you. I think that qualifies me to give advice, yes?

Gideons' lip raised slightly into a wry smirk, though he did not intend it as a gesture to degrade Panex, more as a counter to his countless arguments. With logic like that, Panex would likely get defensive and look for other points to attack, but Gideon had him where combat training was the topic.

When you wield a blade, you extend your own awareness into four to seven inches of metal that is meant to commit murder. If you hope to properly use the blade, you have to understand those who it is going to come into contact with, Gideon regarded Panex with a serious look, by getting into the proper frame of mind and knowing the enemy, not only do you hold a mental advantage, you also become more aware of the way they think, move, act. When a man cannot hide his intentions, he becomes readable. Does that appeal to you?

Gideon took another sip of water, his body gently coming down from his adrenaline rush.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 20th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Panex rolls his eyes.

"Yes, it does, and believe me, it's nothing I don't already know. I'm not saying words serve no purpose. On the contrary, I believe they are some of the most powerful tools we possess, if not the most. Only that in the midst of combat, I would prefer to rely on my blade."

He sips his wine once again.

"Of course, I accept my poor skill in swordsmanship. Therefore I will always use words as my first line of defense, blades being my last."

He gestures forward.

"Continue. I'm listening."

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 20th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Fair enough, Gideon supposed thoughtfully, in the case where words do not serve their purpose and become idle, you are at odds with another being. What then, Panex? Do you think? Do you wonder how to move or how he is going to move? Perhaps.

Gideon folds his hands in front of his face, elbows on the table as he looked up at Panex.

I like to believe that thought is always a part of the equation, be it split second thinking or elaborate. Sometimes though, thinking has to be eschewed in favor of reaction.

There was a mild tilt in Gideon's head while he looked just past Panex, grabbing the knife on the table and flicking his wrist to send it toward the man's head, gauging his reflexes. Gideon had no skill with such an act, so it was slow and awkward on top of having a lopsided spin, but he had no intention of killing Panex so that was just fine.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Postby Panex Iustitia on May 20th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Panex opens his mouth to respond, then suddenly finds himself with a knife flung into his face. Acting quickly, he dips his head to the side to avoid it and swings his right hand to bat it away. It lands with a soft thunk on the counter, with only a small grazing cut on the back of Panex's palm - certainly nothing that would impede his dexterity.

Panex tenses and places his hand on the hilt of his katana, wary and ready to defend himself, but making no move toward the offensive.

"Thought comes first in battle," he replies. "A clever mind and use of tactics can overcome an opponent relying solely on instinct."

He inclines his head.

"I am not as strong as many opponents I may face. I would prefer to focus on skill to defeat my enemies. Rapid strikes and parries design to use their attacks against them, make holes, and strike quickly. That is what I have been taught so far."

-Brent Weeks
Panex Iustitia
Player

Character sheet

Postby Gideon Linvaille on May 21st, 2010, 2:28 am

There were a few passive glares, but because the two men had not broken into combat, no one seemed to mind. People went back to their drinks just as quickly as they had ceased drinking them, and no one asked any questions whatsoever. Gideon suspected such things were commonplace in a city filled with warriors.

Swords, no matter their origin, are strange in that there is no single "right" way to use them, Gideon offered, I too prefer a light, dexterous approach to a weapon. That gives you more response time and a great deal more speed with which to deal out an offensive. They say the best defense is a good offense, but I prefer the idea that there is no polarized methodology. Instead of "attacking" and "defending," you think of the blade as your paintbrush, if you will, and the outside world as your canvas.

Gideon considered Panex for a moment before adding, Too much power and you spoil the portrait, his smile was sincere and polite as he offered the other man a kerchief with which to mop up stray blood, too little and you leave no marks at all.

Gideon gave Panex a wry smile.

The idea is that your art ought be unforgettable. To be attacked once is unfortunate. To be attacked again is a tragedy. To be attacked thrice is to realize you have done something wrong.
Gideon Linvaille
The Purist

Character sheet

Previous