Investigative Journalism? (Runo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Ignotus Everto on December 4th, 2012, 4:30 am

37th of Fall, 512AV

Ah, Zeltiva. Sometimes, it never got old. Where simple gossip could end up laying the groundwork for something much less savory than a delightful romp on the Cerulean Pier. The story about the Lord of Council's little relationship with an unknown sailor was already making waves in the city. Where some simply saw a saucy tale, however, others saw opportunity. Ignotus Everto knew what could be done with a few scraps of information, a little creativity, and a silver tongue. Or silver. One or the other.

Ignotus Everto was a man with a plan. Unfortunately, that plan hinged on something he didn't have: the identity of Maria's paramour. This, however, could be fixed. A son that, while bumbling, somehow managed to continually prove his use happened to have a certain apprentice that, hopefully, had the skills he lacked. There wasn't much to go on other than the rather predatory way the poor artist had been approached.

Naturally, a meeting was in order. Hiring a word runner was easy enough, as was writing an invitation. A request to come to the Kelp Bar and a promise of mizas was usually enough for most, and a walking corpse was often easy to find in a bar. As such, Ignotus took no pains to disguise his identity as a Nuit today, and while a few fellows tossed him uncomfortable looks, for the most part, he was left alone.

After all, someone who was so kind to orphans had to be human, even if he was dead. Of course, most humans didn't wait in a splintery seat, on one side of a round, worn wooden table, in the middle of a crowded bar for a girl of dubious moral leanings to arrive, but who bothered with trifling details any more?

OOCGale gave permission for that small bit of information to be wrung out of the loveable little guy. If a thread is preferred to cement knowledge of Runo, just PM me and I'll be happy to oblige. :)

Last edited by Ignotus Everto on December 4th, 2012, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Words: 292905
Joined roleplay: May 6th, 2012, 5:57 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Runo on December 4th, 2012, 9:19 pm

The darkness, it caressed her heart as a lover might, enclosing the frail thing in an unbreakable, inescapable, bind. Protecting and conserving in a way, imprisoning and isolating in another. She could always to depend upon it to be there, to overwhelm and staunch the small doses of purity that, on occasion, threatened to poke themselves through and bathe her soul in a burning fiery light.

Runo gritted her teeth, her boots producing soft sounds against the stonework below. Many of the people out on the street avoided her, swerving from her, and in one case crossing to the other side of the walkway to avoid contact. Apparently the city-goers had deemed a mad girl and her murmurings a less than desirable sight to behold. Those who did not duck away from her in digust found themselves roughly shoved aside by the small girl, taking many-a-person off guard. She had simply no patience for stupidity this evening.

Pausing briefly outside of a less than appealing establishment, Runo turned her forever-wandering attention down to the crumpled piece of paper she clutched in between her bandaged palms. Was it crumpled when she received it? Never mind, such trivial things were not meant to be remembered anyways. The Kelp Bar? She glanced back up at the establishment before her; finally, she had found it. The situation, the bar, the note, they were all sharp reminders of her blurred assortment of less than honorable business dealing that she had experienced during her brief stay in Ravok.

Finally, she had been acting rather soft lately.

Pulling a dark hood over her pale thin face, Runo discreetly patted her left hip, assuring herself that her nightly sharpened throwing axe was strapped to her side. It would prove itself useful if things became squirrely in there. Shaking in sick anticipation Runo entered the bar. Only a few glanced up from their drinks at her arrival, they greeted her with filthy looks and skeptical stares. A small shriek of laughter escaped her lips as she scoured the bar with her eyes, drawing forth a plethora of unwanted attention to herself. Awkwardly Runo examined the letter again, only to scowl and banish it once more deep into her pocket. Bastard didn't sign it or nothing.
"I am not a moral person, nor have I ever considered becoming a moral person, first off it has been so long since the last pure thought in my mind I haven't a prayer of ever conjuring another, and two..being wicked is too much fun." -Runo
Runo
Would you like to play a game?

Words: 11014
Joined roleplay: October 6th, 2012, 4:15 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ignotus Everto on December 5th, 2012, 2:25 am

The letter hovered for a moment above the table before bursting into flames. "A pleasure to meet you, Miss..." the wizard paused for Runo to fill in the gap with her name as the blackened remains of the summons fluttered onto the table and crumbled to ash. One of his arms was resting limply on the table, the other idly twirling in the air. With a dismissive wave of his hand, the scorched paper seemingly swept itself off the table, and the Nuit leaned forward slightly.

"I'm certain you wonder why I asked you to come here. Now, this is just a hunch, but you seem to be to be the type of person with a sharp eye, and a sharper mind. Someone reliable. Someone who can be trusted with a rather important task. Now, there is a certain piece of information I require. A certain man's identity, to be precise. You will, of course, be paid. I do, however, need to know you are up to the job." A faint quirk of the eyebrow, "Well. Are you?"

A thousand thanks to Phoenix for the gorgeous blue frame, and a thousand more to Edreina for her beautiful magic-themed one!

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Runo on December 6th, 2012, 1:11 am

Fire flashed in front of her, and automatically Runo’s lips curled around her teeth, a low hiss rumbling threateningly deep in her throat. Her left hand, her throwing hand, flew to her hip, lingering over the concealed throwing axe she had strapped to her thigh. A magician summoned her here today? Runo had confusing (as well as often conflicting) beliefs centered around magic, on one hand magic was an unnatural thing that was better left alone, on the other hand she upheld a… sick fascination with the unnatural...

Sighing Runo slid into the seat across from him, an axe wouldn’t do much against a magician in most cases anyways. Though the fire was unsettling… it had taken so long for her to train herself to even stand near a candle without flinching; fire was unpredictable as elements went, and it resurrected memories that for the sake of most, better lay uncovered.

“Pretty party trick,” Runo remarked to the dead thing that sat across from her, “very amusing.”

I don’t doubt you at all my love, yet… don’t play your games with this man, he is not as dull as most…

Oh, your back, Runo snarled to herself, her head panging with separate thoughts that could only be produced by madness, I’m not stupid, even though I do enjoy challenging games.

Grinning insanely at the nuit, Runo examined a bandaged hand, while she mulled things over, studying the elaborate, yet random, designs that were etched into her pale skin, leaving ugly scars, “I deem it necessary for most of my clients to understand that if comes down to it, I might preform practices that may be classified as “immoral” or even more common “unethical,” pausing Runo cleared her throat, licking her lips, anticipating his reaction to her words “I have my ways, I play my games, but in the end I’ll always win, unless of course there is cheater. But cheaters usually end up with an axe in their back. Though, take no offense, you don’t seem like the most queasy costumer. If you understand that, I’m in.”
"I am not a moral person, nor have I ever considered becoming a moral person, first off it has been so long since the last pure thought in my mind I haven't a prayer of ever conjuring another, and two..being wicked is too much fun." -Runo
Runo

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ignotus Everto on December 6th, 2012, 6:59 pm

Ignotus' eyebrow twitched at the sight of Runo's great discomfort at the fire. It was a simple bit of Reimancy: Paper barely needed a thimbleful of the gel to light up, and it would dispose of most evidence. The use of Projection was just for practice. It tired him, but he needed to use the discipline to get better at it. He certainly didn't expect to learn one of the girl's fears from the simple act. Of course, magic was frowned upon in most of the world, but Zeltiva was surprisingly tolerant. Since she was only frightened when the letter burnt, it could be easily inferred that she was afraid of fire.

The Nuit filed the information away in his mind; it would be most useful in the future, if the girl required disciplining. Her mad grin only served to make Ignotus' brow furrow. The Hypnotist could be described as insane by most, but he was not one of them. In his mind, the overemotional, weeping, addicted masses were the mad ones. He was the only one dispassionate enough to think clearly. But the question of his sanity was irrelevant; Ignotus could hide his madness. Runo, so far, could not. Considering he wanted her to perform an act of espionage, this was an unacceptable flaw.

"Wipe that stupid smile off your face." the Nuit demanded coolly. In what was rapidly becoming an easy act, the Hypnotist sectioned off a phrase in his mind, severed it from his soul with a burst of Djed, transferred it to his throat, and sent it out into the girl before him along with the order. Runo would find herself thinking, "Act professional, idiot!"

If she was unable to follow her own chastisement, then she was, regrettably, useless to him. Once (if) the crazy grin was gone, Ignotus would continue calmly,

"You have heard the rumors of Maria Satterwhite's affair with an unknown sailor, yes? If you haven't, then you just did. I want to know who this sailor is. I don't care how it's done, only that I don't want any waves made. Understand? You will be paid when you have his name and the location of his house."
A faint pulse of Djed served to urge her unconciously to accept the deal without haggling. Wizards were rich. Surely the reward would be great!

Otherwise, should she fail to quit looking like an escapee from an asylum, he would unceremoniously point at the door.

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Runo on December 6th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Act professional…Another voice joined all the others in her panging head; she immediately sensed it was not of her own, the voice was uncontrollable, act professional… take the deal… wizards have money… Wincing, Runo closed her eyes, her nails digging deep into the wood of the table. The new voice was over-powering; it filled her already over-stocked head. Usually costumers never demanded her to refrain from grinning, some enjoyed the fact she was mad, others were too frightened to comment. This was apparently not the case.

Finally, a challenging game.

“Calm yourself magician,” Runo sunk back into her chair, scowling. Unlike a majority of the other clients she had encountered thus far in her life, she had a distinct loathing for this man. Respect, yes; only fools failed to pay complete and total courtesy to magic-flingers. This man lounging across from her could easily make her life a living hell. Well… more than it already was…

Tapping her fingers against the wood of the table, Runo growled, “Please don’t confuse incompetence with confidence magician. I care nothing for rumors; alas your task shall be completed quietly.”

Be careful...
Runo

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ignotus Everto on December 9th, 2012, 7:57 pm

It was unfortunate that the girl was upset, but Ignotus wasn't in the mood to make friends at the moment. Besides, he could easily fix her attitude in the future, if it was needed. In the meantime, Runo seemed to be tolerable. She did not know his name, after all, and he could have himself a new face in days if it was needed. Ignotus Everto, the venerable paragon of compassion would be the last Nuit investigated. This meant that an attempt to double-cross him would likely, though not certainly, flounder.

A faint, approving smile graced the Hypnotist's features, and he nodded slightly. "Thank you. You must forgive me for my curtness. Your business is a sensitive one, and I am a man prone to worrying. It does my heart good, however, to see that this task is in good hands."
A faint flush of Djed accompanied the Nuit's words, a small slit in his aura dripping pride onto the girl's. It wasn't anything major. Just a little feeling of flattery. Was it so bad that she felt good about herself? Of course not.

"I await your report with great anticipation, Miss. Good day."
Another push. This time, a simple subliminal suggestion tying the positive emotion she was feeling to the man before her. She would perform so much better if she liked him just a little, after all.

Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Runo on December 14th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Warmth flooded into her body, leaving her with an unnatural tingling feeling. Perhaps the magic-flinger wasn’t that bad, “of course I understand,” complaining about the man who was employing you for mizas was childish, right? Self-confidence smothered her, a cocky smile dancing on her lips, “you’ll be satisfied with my services I’m sure.”

This guy was good.

Though without warning a sharp pain erupted in Runo’s chest, extinguishing the blissful warmth she had been enjoying almost instantly. My dear, you can’t keep me down forever. Crying out like a struck dog, Runo bit down harshly upon her lips to prevent herself from continuing to call out in her delusional pain. She didn’t dare to look back up at the magician, fearing his reaction. Her teeth piercing her pink lips, blood dripping down her chin.

A drunken sailor bumped into the back of her chair, muttering a broken “sorry” at her back. Bent over in agony Runo lashed out, slapping his shoulder with the back of her hand. She grinned apologetically at the man, turning back to the table and closing her eyes in silent pleasure as she felt the invisible string attach to his unknowing back. Are you hurting Runo?

“Please excuse me sir,” Runo shot at the nuit, the pain inching towards becoming unbearable. Underneath the table her slender hands were moving frantically in swift, jerky movements, “I’m just not myself today.” She made sure to wipe her face clean of any emotion, before giving the final snap of her fingers.

Snap, with a loud crash the drunken sailor crumbled to the ground, his cup clattering on the wood, drink spilling all over the floor. It was if something invisible had reached up and grabbed him, pulling him to the ground. You can feel my pain; Runo tilted her head to where the man had fallen, her mouth open in mock surprise. She watched as the string she had attached to him dissolve, it eased the pain, almost like a drug.
Runo

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ignotus Everto on December 20th, 2012, 6:29 pm

While Runo may have assumed that Cordas' invisible nature would protect her from attack, sailors were a superstitious lot, and being yanked down mere ticks after being touched by a strange girl talking to an animated corpse was enough to make even the most dim-witted mildly suspicious. As such, the first thing the sailor did when he got up again was march towards Runo with a scowl on his face. Ignotus, in the meantime, had done what he usually did when his reputation was threatened: He cut and ran. Or rather, he got up and slinked away. Let the girl deal with the problems she caused for herself. He had work to do.

For one, Gale had to be warned. While the Cordas strings were invisible to the vast majority of the bar, Ignotus could see the threads as clear as day. What Sagallius saw in that bumbling fool, though, the wizard couldn't say. Perhaps he just wanted a laugh. Or he was giving Ignotus a present. After all, a Cordas would make an excellent scapegoat, if he needed one in the future... That, or Runo was faking everything in order to get him to underestimate her. That was also a possibility. Just as he pretended to be kind and compassionate, another might feign the opposite. He would have to watch himself.

By the time the sailor had stumbled his way to Runo's table, Ignotus was long gone. The Nuit did hope she'd find a way out of that little pickle. He didn't want to have to kill her to tie up loose ends in the future. It would be much, much more beneficial for her to be competent, and to be a valuable tool.

OOCI think the thread will be about finished in the next post or so, no?

Correspondence Thread
Ignotus Everto
Only Mostly Mad

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Delirium on March 17th, 2013, 12:58 am

Experience Rewards

Runo :
Experience
Rhetoric1 xp
Intimidation 1xp
Browing1 xp

Lores:
Avoided by strangers
Hate for the nuit mage

Ignotus :
Experience
Persuasion 1xp
Reimancy1 xp
Projection1 xp
Hypnotism 2xp
Intimidation 1xp

Lores:
Runo's fear of fire
Hiding madness

Notes: Ah your characters have such wonderfully twisted personalities! A pleasure to read guys. It warms my heart to see two slightly twisted individuals interact.

If you have any queries with the grading, pleas don't hesitate to PM me :)
Delirium
An acutely disturbed state of mind

Words: 14179
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Race: Staff account
Office