A Chance Meeting (Haeli)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A Chance Meeting (Haeli)

Postby Akari on August 24th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Timestamp:48th Summer, 511AV
Purpose: Meeting Haeli

The day had been a slow one so far, and as Syna’s orb reached its peak, things quietened even further. The Noon Rest was upon them, meaning that most of the shops had closed for a brief period. Having nothing else to do, and not wanting to sleep, Akari found herself at the Bharani Library.

She was dressed in her usual attire; a long cream dress and purple coat, though her hair hung partly loose for once. Usually she wore it up and away from her face, but today she had decided to tie only half of it back. She had done her training for a short time in the early morning, and the afternoon stretched empty before her.

Though her dream was to become a Shinya and follow in her fathers footsteps, Akari also desired to learn as much as she could in many other areas. Plants and medicine, magic’s and history – the girl felt that you could never know too much.

That was why she was currently seated in a cosy corner of the library, a small stack of books at her feet. She never took the books home with her as she always worried about accidentally loosing one. Instead she would commit the spot of her desired book to memory and locate it one her next visit to continue reading.

One particular interest Akari held was plants. Her father had frequently mentioned various types in his old journal, and he had also died from the poisoning of one. She was interested to learn about which plants could heal, which could harm and ones that did nothing but look pretty. She had always been amazed at how much plants could do and she felt that the knowledge would be valuable.

She lost herself in the words, drinking in the descriptions and studying various sketches littered throughout the pages of the tome in her hands. Perhaps later she might go searching for a few species, although she would have to remember which ones not to touch if she did so.
Last edited by Akari on August 31st, 2011, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T - 10 | P - 20 | M - 20
Akari
Following in Father's Footsteps

Words: 25293
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2011, 7:46 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

A Chance Meeting (Haeli)

Postby Haeli on August 28th, 2011, 7:32 pm

Haeli dropped off her newly written piece for the library's use. It was on incense making and how to do it. She didn't mind giving the information away so that others could learn, but she had to admit to herself that she did withhold some of her trade secrets so that her incense would hold color, the smoke could be tinted, and her store's uniqueness would always hold true. But with the manuscript she handed over a the door, others could get a big start on learning to make their own burnable incense and start experimenting until they developed their own favorite formulas.

It had been strange to her at first - a whole building filled with books - all containing knowledge that could be learned from words rather than from teachers. Lhavit had grown on Haeli enough that she was actually used to buildings themselves. But the books here... the books still threw her. She wandered up and down the racks, just dragging her fingers over spines and enjoying the way they smelled. She wandered so far that she cornered an aisle and almost bumped into a girl sitting in the herbalism section.

Haeli paused, offered an apologetic smile, and looked down at what the woman was reading. "I'm sorry. I get so distracted in here I can't pay attention to where I am walking. I did not mean to almost bump into you. Your book looks interesting. I love plants too. Do you enjoy them?" She asked carefully and curiously.

As usual, Haeli was dressed like a poor waif, in a shift that had seen too much wear and was a bit too short for her frame. It was either a hand-me-down or something she'd had so long she grew out of its decent length. Well worn sandals graced her feet, and her hair was caught back in a braid that was busy escaping its confines. She had a book in her hand, but she hadn't remembered picking it up or what its title was.
Haeli
The stars in the sky have all the answers.

Words: 366819
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

A Chance Meeting (Haeli)

Postby Akari on August 28th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Akari was so lost in the words of the book, that she was blissfully unaware of the footsteps that rounded the corner of the aisle. It was only when the person almost walked right into her that her head snapped up. She inwardly cursed herself – she had promised not to let herself get distracted lest something like this happen. If and when she finally became a Shinya she would need to be alert at all times. It was typical that as soon as she let her guard down that something would startle her.

Akari looked over the person who had appeared. It was a woman, perhaps a similar age to herself. She was wearing clothing that appeared to have seen a lot of use, and her blonde hair was escaping from its braid. Akari blinked up at her before a small smile formed on her mouth.

“It’s okay, no harm done.” She glanced down at her book for a moment, almost as if she had forgotten what she had been reading, before returning her attention to the woman. “I’m interested in them, yes. Though I don’t clam to have any real knowledge on them – this is the first book I have read. My father wrote about plants sometimes, and it made me curious. I’d quite like to learn as much about them as I can. I had no idea how versatile they could be”

Akari’s enthusiasm for the subject showed. Her eyes shone with excited interest, and she had sat up a little straighter. Looking at the woman, Akari was sure that she recognised her for somewhere. The face was familiar, but neither name nor setting came to mind. “Ah, I’m sorry, but I am sure I have seen you before…” Perhaps they had merely passed each other in the streets one time or happened to have been making a purchase at the same store.
T - 10 | P - 20 | M - 20
Akari
Following in Father's Footsteps

Words: 25293
Joined roleplay: June 20th, 2011, 7:46 pm
Character sheet

A Chance Meeting (Haeli)

Postby Haeli on September 13th, 2011, 5:57 pm

"You shouldn't learn with the books here. I've looked at some of them. None of them really understand plants. Only plants understand plants."
The witch said, and move opposite of the woman. Instead of taking a seat on the bench, she carefully folded her legs beneath her and sat upon the floor. The woman was strikingly beautiful, the kind of well-put together person that Haeli often saw on Lhavit's streets. She wore a dress and a coat that was cut of finer cloth than Haeli was used too. Perhaps that was why Haeli didn't ask to join her on the bench but immediately took a seat where her head was lower. Haeli's experiences in Lhavit with its nobility and elegant well-groomed people had left her cautious and slightly wary. Even her run-in's with the Shinya hadn't left her unscathed. She wanted to talk to the woman that was interested in plants, but she didn't really know how to start up a conversation.

"They are all around us. Even here."
Haeli said, glancing around and reaching for a text that looked worse for wear. She opened it, not knowing what sort of writing it was written on, and thumbed through until she saw a bit of mold on a few of the pages in the back where once it had gotten wet and had never been particularly cared for. The mold was old, seemingly dried, but it was still alive in a way that both Haeli and the strange woman would never know. Haeli reached out, flicked a bit of it with a ragged thumbnail, and tilted her head until her unbound hair screened her face.

"See? This is even a sort of plant, though not one you might expect to view as a plant. It can make you very sick if you breath it because it loves the soft moist tissue in lungs and will thrive there even better than it will on the pages of a book that was slow to dry out." The witch said, handing the woman the volume so she knew could get a better look. "This little bit won't hurt you, but if you worked here and roamed the halls every day, you'd be sick a little. Listen to the librarians. They cough slightly sometimes and don't know why. They think it is the weather or the chill in the mountain air. But really they need to hire more people to copy their books and throw ones such as this away." Haeli said, nodding to the text she offered the stranger.

Maybe the girl was someone with influence who could say something about mold in the books rather than letting the librarians suffer. "A witch in this city would prevent this, find ways to help the librarians without harming the balance. You could make places for molds to grow happily where they would help more than harm. But people do not think of such things."
Haeli
The stars in the sky have all the answers.

Words: 366819
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2010, 9:33 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)

A Chance Meeting (Haeli)

Postby Elysium on December 14th, 2012, 6:33 pm

Character: Haeli
XP:
Socialization +1
Observation +1

Lores:
Being Charitable with Knowledge
Books Produce Mold

Character: Akari
XP:
Socialization +1

Lores:
Plants Can Be Dangerous

Other: Short and sweet. You both left me craving more! Nice job.

and so, the journey continues...
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)