Flashback [Kova's Well] To Wish or Not to Wish

Thomas // In which Hadrian prays for luck and meets Thomas.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Kova's Well] To Wish or Not to Wish

Postby Hadrian on December 13th, 2012, 9:01 am

45th Summer, 506 A.V.

At seventeen, Hadrian, like many lads of his age, considered himself a man. At the same time, he would soon be traveling to Zeltiva to matriculate in the greatest institution of higher learning in the entire continent, and while he knew he could take care of himself for the most part, and that his father had a factor in town should there be an emergency, and that his father and brothers traveled to Zeltiva with some degree of frequency on business, the sudden closeness of reality had him nervous.

He had been leaning his hip against the well for a few minutes now, a golden nilo rolling around the edge under his palm. A nilo for Zeltiva. A nilo for luck. He wasn't sure he wanted to speak to a spirit who claimed to be the old empress of Alahea. Then again, that woman had the love of a god. Perhaps she still had the ear of the divine, particularly Kelwyn for luck, Priskil for hope, and Eyris for wisdom.

That was the hope, anyway. He had already packed and re-packed, and was partly here just so as not to be there. His father had promised to ride to Zeltiva with him, help him find a place to live -- no Aelius would deign to live in the dormitories like some common child -- and there had been a comfort in that, even though he and his father were no longer as close as they had been. But only today he had been informed, as if it were a mere detail, that his brother would instead fulfill that task.

It was parsed as a task rather than an opportunity to spend time together before Hadrian embarked upon manhood and true scholarship. He sighed, catching the nilo in his hand, and leaned forward on his elbows, peering down into the depths of the well as if there were answers. Then he caught the golden coin between two fingers, examining it as if there would be some evidence there whether he out to spend it on a wish or save it for food when he had to weather his first famine in Zeltiva.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on December 14th, 2012, 7:32 am

"One more question?" The girl asked, the roar of the busy market overpowering her soft voice.

"As many as you can pay for," Thomas smiled politely, allowing the blonde another glimpse of his seer's mark. It shimmered in the light, almost real in it's exquisite detail. The dark purple coloring of the lily's petals bled to a deep black towards the base, fading to an emerald green in stem and leaves.

"Yes, of course," the girl paused, her blonde hair falling into her face as she reached for another silver. "I want to know if...," she paused, handing Thomas the silver coin, "If I will ever leave this city. If I will ever see the world outside this fortress?" she asked, her eyes searching his face for answers.

Answers he didn't have.

Thomas nodded, grabbing the blonde by the wrist, pulling her hand close for inspection. "Yes...yes, you will leave," Thomas smiled, tracing his fingers against the lines that decorated the girl's palm. Truly, Thomas knew little of palmistry, only what he had picked up from traveling fortune tellers -- but no one would question someone marked by Avalis when it came to divination.

At least no one Thomas had met.

"You will have grand adventures, and a great life of freedom," he continued, stealing a glance at the girl's face. She was pretty enough, a soft face framed by golden curls. "And many lovers," Thomas smirked, blushing slightly. He was only fifteen after all. "And you will be truly happy." He released her hand, taking the silver coin to his pocket.

"Anything else?" he asked, looking at the young blonde.

"No, I think that's all. Thank you," She smiled, happy enough. That was his goal, anyway. Thomas had learned quickly enough that omens of bad luck and fortunes of despair didn't pay well -- no one wanted to hear bad news, no matter how much more realistic it was then the fluffy stuff he spat out on a daily basis. Sighing, Thomas walked off, collecting his earnings for the day.

Thomas made his way through the giant fortress, taking a glance out of the odd window. While dedicated to the Knights, Thomas' family wasn't rich. His own home was deep within Syliras' walls, the only lighting the torches that hung from the stone. He missed seeing the sun.

Deciding on taking a more scenic path, one with more windows, Thomas found himself besides the iconic Kova's Well. There was a young man, tall and awkward, leaning against the well, something glinting gold in his hand. Thomas tried to glance at the stranger's face, hoping for an expression of desperation or confusion. Maybe he could get him to spend his gold on a fortune, instead of some wish.

He leaned over the well, opposite the black haired youth, casually allowing the stranger a glimpse of his gnosis mark.

Thomas smiled winningly, "So, what are you gunna wish for?" he asked, taking out a silver miza for himself.

Thomas Cosa
What if no one could stop you?

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Words: 385707
Joined roleplay: October 20th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Hadrian on December 14th, 2012, 11:08 am

Hadrian was all right on his own; people sort of gummed up the works. His mother had drilled etiquette into him, so he knew the rules, but their spirit hadn't made him any less awkward. He was fine with his thoughts and the depth of the well and the possibility of some ancient spirit listening, but, really, why should she care about the troubles of some boy too big for his britches headed to another city to try to make something of himself.

But then there was another lad there, perhaps younger than himself -- it was difficult to say. Hadrian wasn't the best at reading people, and so he smiled too big, and then it disappeared rather too quickly.

"Oh, um," he mumbled, pushing off the well to stand straighter. "I don't know, really. It's probably stupid."

A stranger didn't need to know that he was afraid about the great, big world out there, afraid of the freedom he so desperately wanted, afraid of... well, everything. Of course, there was nobody he could tell it to, no friend or confidant. Hadrian was not the sort of fellow who attracted friends. This one looked vaguely familiar, which didn't mean anything. Syliras was not so populated that one might not have seen everyone in seventeen years, but the young man didn't get out much.

He was the black sheep of the Aelius family, but because he was an Aelius, he was at least cocooned in the gossamer safety of wealth.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on December 15th, 2012, 12:20 am

Thomas watched as the man awkwardly flashed him a quick smile, then proceded to straighten his stance. The dark haired youth was tall, and more or less of the same build the teenager demostrated himself -- gangly. He noticed the stranger's clothes, obviously born into wealth, or someone wealthy obvious favored the young lad. He smirked at the idea, stiffling a laugh at the thought of the stranger standing seductively at one of luxury apartments that adorned the outer walls.

"Maybe," Thomas shrugged, pausing, as if considering something, "But wishes are so subjective, what may be stupid for you may be just what someone else's desire," again, he shrugged. "Take me, for example. I want to leave, as my father puts it, the assured saftey and finacial security of Syliras, in exchange for Avalis knows what that awaits me outside these walls," he said, touching the stone as he finished.

"To me, I'm leaving complacity and a boring life in exchange for adventure. For new experiences. A new life," Thomas' voice faltered at the end, dropping his sliver miza deep within the well. That is what he wanted, what he wished for. A new life, another chance at happiness. Far away from the cold walls of Syliras to somewhere better.

Somewhere with sun.

"So, stranger," Thomas turned to face the dark haired youth, "What are you wishing for?" he asked again, sticking out his hand as an after thought, "I'm Thomas, by the way."

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on December 19th, 2012, 12:53 pm

"You can come with me, Thomas," he said, apropos of nothing but the younger lad's words. Hadrian was talking nonsense, maybe, but the future was fast approaching like a precipice and he wasn't so sure he was ready for it anymore. "I'm Hadrian. I'm soon for Zeltiva and its University. My heart's desire, and yet I'm nervous. Stupid, really." He shrugged. Poor little rich boy.

He dropped the golden nilo, Zeltiva's own currency, into the well.

"A new life," he agreed, "a better life. Full of learning and ..." He sighed.

"Are you a friend of Verus Aelius?" he asked, curiously. His younger brother looked of an age with this one, and he seemed familiar, but while he had a near eidetic memory for books, faces where a strange other dimension for him.

He loved a mystery, but loved solving it more than anything.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on December 22nd, 2012, 3:23 am

"Aelius. As in, the Trajan Aelius?" Thomas paused, cocking his head to the side, his eyes narrowing. It was obvious that Hadrian, Aelius apparently, was well off -- but wasn't Aelius some genius merchant? Thomas reconsidered the young man's behavior; sure, he had been polite and everything, but where was the confindence? The swagger expected of a supposed son of a merchant prince?

"No," Thomas said, shaking his head, "I don't, unfortunately. Do you have many siblings, Hadrian?" Thomas asked, genuinely curious about the rich man's life. It wasn't everday you met merchant nobility.

"A new life," Thomas repeated, staring Hadrian with a new found curiosity, "I can't say I wouldn't normally jump at the opportunity, but...," the boy hesitated, unsure for the first time since their encounter. "I...I have other plans. Other places I need to go first," he smiled, hoping that Hadrian wouldn't ask for more detail. While Thomas was sure Hadrian wouldn't be rubbing elbows with the less influential of the Syliran Knights, he couldn't risk his plan getting back to his siblings, or worse, his father.

"But I doubt you'll have trouble. I mean, surely your family will be finacing your trip?And you seem...sociable enough. What will you study?"

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on December 24th, 2012, 11:43 pm

"Yes, as in Trajan Aelius," he averred. Perhaps he ought not have mentioned Verus, because the lad seemed smart enough to put two and two together to make four. So he knew him to be Hadrian Aelius, perhaps. The Hadrian was unimportant, but the Aelius meant something here. It wasn't a knightly name; not yet, though Verus would be one someday, much to the advantage of their father's dealings, to be sure.

"I've six siblings, and you?" The rote of etiquette at least helped him make polite conversation. He could thank his mother for that. He wasn't uninterested, of course, but he was distracted. He smiled tightly and nodded, not really expecting some swaggering stranger to want to go on an adventure with him. Trajan II would be with him, which would be irritating in and of itself, but ah, at least he wouldn't be alone.

"Best wishes with those plans, then. I'll likely be in Zeltiva for at least four years, so if you change your mind..." But his father would pay, of course. Where Thomas got that Hadrian was sociable, though; well, perhaps he was just being polite.

"He wants me to study economics and... well, I think I'll be reading for history, which would encompass all the things that would better equip me to support the family business."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on December 25th, 2012, 12:29 am

"Two myself, both Knights," Thomas answered, watching Hadrian's reaction. Truthfully, the older boy seemed distant or perhaps, not all that interested. "Very different from me, honestly," he paused, lifting himself onto the ancient well, using the wooden post for support, "I tried the whole squire thing. Three years I've been involved with the Knights, at least, until today," the teenager muttered, glancing down the well, "Isn't someone supposed to show up? Like a ghost, right?" Thomas asked Hadrian, looking at the him expectantly.

"Thank you, Hadrian. And best wishes to you as well, I'm sure you'll do fantastically," he reciprocated, as was the polite thing to do.

Perhaps it was the stranger's tone, or perhaps it was just Thomas looking for something that wasn't there, but the boy couldn't help but think that the Hadrian was awfully unexcited for someone leaving Syliras -- at least, it seemed to Thomas.

"So...you're studying for your family business, for you father?" Thomas asked, "Is that what you want to do? Will you come back?"

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on December 25th, 2012, 12:37 am

"You don't want to be a knight?" he asked. Perhaps this Thomas wasn't so very different from Hadrian, who decidedly didn't want to be a merchant. Oh, he could manage the mathematics, see the patterns in supply and demand, et cetera, but the shine of gold had no great pull on his heartstrings. He was accustomed to a certain standard of living, but he didn't yen for more.

"I don't know if she only shows for gold or what," he admitted, setting the golden nilo down on the edge of the well. The brother of two knights was unlikely to steal it, and if he did, it didn't matter. There were more where that came from.

"He'll pay for me to learn those things. If I chose something else, I don't know that he would. So I'm going to go learn those things of which he approves, and try to figure out what I want while I'm there."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Thomas Cosa on December 25th, 2012, 6:22 am

"Not anymore. I used to, at least, I think I used to want that," Thomas sighed, "I guess it's hard to know whether it was something I actually wanted or if it was just something I thought I should want," he shrugged, bored, "Either way, I ended it. I'm sure my siblings already know and it's only a matter of time before my father does. It's done, though, he can't do anything about it now."

Thomas looked down the well, chuckling, "But what else you would expect from a Queen? Wasn't she a daughter of Eyris, too?" Thomas asked the young scholar, adding "There's so much I don't know about then, the before," Thomas smiled, tossing another coin down the well -- he would never make it to Mura if he kept on wasting his money on tourist traps like this one. "That would be interesting to study. Pre-Valterrian history. That and magic."

"Could you lie?" Thomas asked, not considering that some people, especially in Syliras, would consider lying a cardinal sin. "I mean, if it's something you really wanted -- or do you think he would contact the University? Could he even do that?"

Thomas Cosa

Thomas Cosa
bratty mageling

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes