[Please Help] Kelvic Questions! Ask Me Some!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Lucy on December 6th, 2012, 10:27 pm

• Do Kelvic twins have same animal or same human form or both?
  • On the similar note, if a type of animal typically gives birth to more than one baby at the time how will that affect pregnancy in human form?
  • How exactly intelligent can a Kelvic be before and after bonding? Playing a Kelvic who hasn't had a bond would be rather odd if his intelligence level was equal to animal's, especially if it was some really unintelligent specie.
  • Does animal 'extraordinary' instinct transfer to human form and how rough it actually is? I played it as a simple feeling something will go wrong, but would they actually feel something more or less accurate?
  • If the bond is broken due to bondmate's death how will this affect the Kelvic? I know that depends on personality, but will there be any consequences like not being able to bond again?
  • Does animal eye and hair color apply to human form as well?
  • Does a Kelvic recognize a Kelvic and if it does not does it at least recognize a Kelvic who shifts to same specie of animal as him, the same way animals recognize each other? Would a Kelvic be any better than other races in determining animal form of a Kelvic in human form?
  • Can a person having a Kelvic who lives in the city consider his/her character eats in the animal form and finds food by hunting in the wilderness? Also, if the animal is sleeping in the animal form. I think most Kelvic would actually do so because it feels more natural that way, not only for the expenses.

That would be it for now, I'll let you know if I come up with more. ^^ I know some questions are more like bragging around less important things, but I hoped I could remind you of something everyone forgot. Also, it would be awesome to do this sort of thing more often when you work on articles, since so many people responded.

Lucy
No need to teach an eagle to fly

Words: 48734
Joined roleplay: July 17th, 2011, 8:45 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Sira on December 6th, 2012, 11:14 pm

Oh, I asked Jen about the twins things once. She said they would be different animals, and that it was also possible for one to be a kelvic, and the other to be born a normal human.
Nari | Common
Italics are Telepathic
Sira
Player

Words: 737381
Joined roleplay: July 4th, 2010, 3:42 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Torchlight on December 6th, 2012, 11:39 pm

A kelvic speaks its own animal's "language" while in its animal form. A dog kelvic can communicate with other, normal dogs while in dog shape. How broad is this form of language? Can a dog communicate with a wolf or a fox? Can a tiger kelvic communicate with a housecat? I've also seen some bird kelvics list their animal's language as "avian". Can a songbird kelvic communicate with a kestrel? An eagle communicate with a pelican?

I'm not sure what the limit is on this type of communication. It is ONLY species-wide or is it perhaps the animal's class? Family? Genus? Is there even a concrete way of defining it?
When it's pitch dark, remember that pitch is flammable.

Avatar image by Imaliea. Used with permission.
Torchlight
Let knowledge empower you.

Words: 52588
Joined roleplay: September 6th, 2012, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account

Postby Thundiirn on December 7th, 2012, 1:30 am

I'm just a newbie, but to throw in my two cents on that I would think that it would be related to what sorts of noises the animals could make. For instance, if a roaring is part of a lions language, he or she would have a relatively difficult time communicating to a house cat, since house cat's can't roar. With a dog talking to a fox, I imagine a dog language would involve barking. Can foxes even bark? I don't know foxes that well so I'm not sure, but if they can't it would be rather hard for them to hold a conversation. At the very least, it seems they'd have to be speaking a different dialect of the same language, and dialects can be so diverse as to sound like two different languages in some cases.
I am nowhere. I am everywhere. I am the watcher unseen

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Other Peoples' Speech"
Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Words: 62034
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2012, 4:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Rilian on December 7th, 2012, 3:39 am

That's another good question. I've always imagined an animal's "language" to not be an actual language so much as a way of communicating. For example, if a cat looks another cat in the eye, that's a challenge. It's part of the way they speak to each other, vis-à-vis "language". If a wolf snaps at another wolf at a kill, that wolf is saying, "Get away, runt. This is my share". It's not an EXACT language or a series of growls and roars, but a way of communicating via gestures, sounds, and behaviors.

A tiger may be able to communicate a message to a cat, as they share similar instincts. But I'm still wondering how far that goes. Each animal has its own way of communicating. Even the same species of crow has different dialects.

So perhaps some clarification on Kelvic languages could help out us players?
Rilian
Hello there.

Words: 12201
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2012, 7:22 am
Character sheet

Postby Thundiirn on December 9th, 2012, 2:01 am

Behavior is absolutely a form of communication, but I'm not sure I'd classify it as part of a spoken language. A language in my mind is an audio form of communication, with very set rules, capable of being written (though not all languages have a writing system, they COULD create one). For example, if my eyes were squinted, my teeth were bared, and I was shaking a fist at you, you would most likely quickly gather that I was angry, regardless of whether we spoke the same language, and the fact that my fist was shaking at you would indicate to you that you were the source of my anger for whatever reason. But I'm using body language on you, not speaking a language. So I suppose if I were almighty God in this world, I'd treat different species of animals in the same family similarly to how I'd treat different cultures of humans. Body language is (with some notable exceptions) pretty universal among humans, whereas spoken language is not.

So, now that you've caused me to think more about my answer, realistically I'd say a fox might be able to communicate on a limited basis with a dog through body language, but unless for some inexplicable reason the fox was raised by dogs and therefore had Dog as his primary language, his primary would be Fox, but his body language would be very similar to that of a dog.
I am nowhere. I am everywhere. I am the watcher unseen

"Speech" | Thoughts | "Other Peoples' Speech"
Thundiirn
Seeking New Realities

Words: 62034
Joined roleplay: November 21st, 2012, 4:43 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on December 30th, 2012, 7:10 pm

The race writeup is complete for the Kelvics. At almost 9K, I think its the biggest article on races yet. Thank you for all your help. Let me know if anyone thinks I've left anything out.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Jason Alexander on December 30th, 2012, 9:26 pm

YAY! Good Job Goss.

*Slow Claps*
"Jason Speaking in Common" "Jason Speaking in Nadar-Canoch" "Other People Speaking"
Jason Alexander
Creator of the Cure

Words: 63344
Joined roleplay: February 2nd, 2010, 2:49 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Previous