[Braindstorming] The Player's Guide To Wind Reach

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Gossamer on May 27th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Okay.. so maybe you can all play a game with me. I've got a ton of things put together for a Wind Reach Players Guide but I want to sorta figure out a way to organize it. I've given this a lot of thought... and I want to do a guide so that if someone sits down and reads it, they know not only exactly how normal Inarta behave, but are totally familiar with the city itself once they either travel there or create a pc within its boundaries.

Now... to that end, I need your help. Whether you are interested in the Inarta or not, how about posting a question or two in this thread you'd want to know if we played 'what if I created an Inarta'....

1. What do I mean? Here's some examples. The more questions the merrier. I'm going to try and answer as much as I can in this Player's Guide.
  2. "How do the Inarta greet each other when they first meet?"
  3. "What's with the goofy clothing? If they are wearing loose pants and halter tops, why in the world is that when they live up in the mountains in the frigid cool mountain air?"
  4. "Can one Inarta kill another over a minor disagreement, say by an abrupt knife fight over one insulting the other's eagle, and what occurs when this happens? What happens to the dead riders bird?"
  5. "Do the Inarta marry or is there some other pairing up going on?"

Anything like that would be really helpful. Ask me what your curious about. And once we get the format for this sort of players guide, I'm fairly sure it will set the standard for at least any other cities I work on...
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Mao on May 27th, 2010, 9:31 pm

1. Common hairstyles? 8D Just asking because I totally already drew my Inarta male, and he has a...well, unique hairstyle. xD

2. Do potential eagle riders go to eagle-riding school? (Not sure if this is answered or not, forgive me if it is!)
Mao
Nyancat

Words: 151412
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2010, 10:03 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Donor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Hyran on May 27th, 2010, 9:58 pm

Maybe this is a different kind of question than the ones you are looking for, but I'm going to ask it anyway; In the lore article it is stated the Inarta have rather pale skin. But as they're up in the mountains with not much between them and the sky, wouldn't they tan pretty fast? I mean, specially in the winter, with snow reflecting all the light.

Also, can a Dek adress someone from a higher caste by their name? Or may they not even speak unless spoken to?

And lastly, the way an Inarta bonds with an eagle isn't entirely clear to me yet (maybe I've missed something). But the question is; will an eagle even consider bonding to an Inarta with a physical handicap?
Last edited by Hyran on May 28th, 2010, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyran
. .

Words: 16280
Joined roleplay: May 1st, 2010, 10:15 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet

Postby Hania on May 27th, 2010, 10:05 pm

1) Which language is predominant? i.e. Nari or common

2) Any strange quirks with names, like lots of apostrophes or silent letters?

3) Goss's #5 question

4) How close are relations between family units after the kids are taught to be independent?

5) Obviously older Inarta are respected, but if a youngster has "upstanding" and socially well-to-do parents, are they treated with a little more respect than other youngsters? Maybe on the basis of expecting the child to inherit some of the parent's gifts with their trade?
Hania
Evil Twin

Words: 67496
Joined roleplay: May 14th, 2010, 3:40 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Emory Ruin on May 27th, 2010, 10:49 pm

I would like to know two things:

As an eagle rider, may Emory also occupy another vocation..like being a sorceress? I'm going to need some serious rewriting if not...

Also, I wrote up Emory's bonding, there wasn't a whole lot of information as to where the process took place, but I have read a lot of books about dragon riders being chosen and all the children travel to the nesting area where the dragons hatch and then they are chosen or not chosen one by one...you may read what I have to tell me if it is acceptable. [After all, we're talking about eagles and not dragons]
Emory Ruin
I'll Light The World in Fiery Peril

Words: 27338
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2010, 3:54 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Rigil Kentaurus on May 28th, 2010, 4:33 am

1. Exactly how tight knit are the Eagle Riders?

2. Is there more detail to their hierarchy or is it just normal Eagle Riders and then Flightleaders?

3. Since Inarta do not seem to be rather scholarly, leastways with pen and paper, would they have some kind of Lore Keeper?

4. How would Inarta society consider half Inarta people?

Thanks for this thread, Gossamer. It's an excellent idea!
Rigil Kentaurus
The Adept Savant

Words: 40544
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2010, 10:27 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet

Postby Stikka al'Tyne on May 28th, 2010, 5:32 am

1) Is there an overlap in the caste system? For instance, would a master glassblower hold more social status than a rider that just bonded a week ago?

2) Are there accidental bondings? Like if a butcher happened to be selling meat nearby and the Eagle decided to choose him?
Stikka al'Tyne
The Peaceful Pirate

Words: 15843
Joined roleplay: March 30th, 2010, 12:46 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on May 28th, 2010, 7:53 pm

This is a really big help, probably on par with the Evil thread. It's making me think about the guide and shaping it up so that I can actually in an informal manner explain more things to people that pure fact presentation in the lore articles doesn't provide.

Also, Em... I edited the Wind Eagle writeup for you so you can looksee at your background since I know you've been waiting on a few things. Remember, just because they live in a volcano and have flying mounts doesn't mean this is a Dragonriders of Pern thing. It isn't. There are no hatching grounds, no ethics or noble causes... or no searches (other than for masters looking for good apprentices). So try and wipe that from your mind. :) The similarity begins and ends with volcanic living.

From Wind Eagle in the Wiki.

===Bonding with The Endal (Eagle Riders)===

Once a Wind Eagle chick has fledged and has established its own home, unattached Inarta of all status move into the caves within the fledglings aerie and care for the birds in hopes the bird will link with them. It can be a long or a short process. Wind Eagles are very choosy and never get in a hurry deciding to partner up. Many Endal jokingly say the fledglings enjoy the attention lavished on them too much to be in a hurry to pick just one person to attend them the rest of their lives. These hopefuls often rarely get discouraged, for being classified as a hopeful means that the fledgling - for all that it is only developing its hunting skill - will be bringing in fresh meat and new foods the hopefuls don't often have access too. This is one of the easiest ways for a Dek, a Chiet or even a Yasi with no status to elevate within the Inarta society. Wind eagles will never bond to two people at once. Once linked, the remainder of the unattached humans move on to the next fledgling and the next until all are bonded or it is painfully obvious the birds find them unsuitable. Annoyed fledglings can be dangerous and have been known to toss likely candidates for Endals off aerie ledges to be rid of them. Wind Eagles have never failed to take a human partner, especially of the same sex, and if something happens to their human partner, they will take a new partner - often someone equivalent of age. These re-bondings can come in surprising ways and are often a lot faster and more sudden than the fledgling bondings are. Wind Eagles can also reject partners and break their bondings. It is rare, but it is not unheard of for a Wind Eagle to suddenly 'rogue' and kill a rider. There is seemingly never a good reason for this, though other eagles themselves often sooth their riders when this happens by a quiet word of 'It was necessary.' If an eagle dies on a rider, leaving him or her mountless, often the rider will fall back to an artisan or commoner profession. If they are damaged from the death, it is not uncommon for them to fall so far as to become a Dek and work the rest of their lives without identity and status. Wind eagles rarely bond with non-Inarta. It seems almost taboo among them to do so. And it is common, sadly, for the particularly unskilled or awkward fledglings to die before they bond (or shortly thereafter) and completely master the complicated flight living in Mount Skyinarta requires.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Torc Ironwood on May 28th, 2010, 8:07 pm

Ok I have two questions

1) as an outsider what would one have to do to become part of their society? Or if a craftsmen should set up a shop in Wind Reach is he/she already a part of the communitee or do they need to be invited in?

2) What Lvl of skill do you need to be considered an Artiisan? I hate to ask about game mechanics but if I start out with a blacksmithing of 5 does that mean I am already better then the lowest amongst them?
Torc Ironwood
Player

Words: 242252
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Emory Ruin on May 29th, 2010, 11:29 am

Thanks Goss!

Shakes head
Back to writing...hahaha.

Can you elaborate on how they care for the eagles?
Do they feed them, preen their feathers, give them new water?
I'm not sure I understand why a giant eagle would need to be cared
For unless people were just bringing them treats like royalty.
Emory Ruin
I'll Light The World in Fiery Peril

Words: 27338
Joined roleplay: April 13th, 2010, 3:54 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Next