Allegiance to the Dead (Miro)

Showing off never hurt anyone.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Rayage on January 3rd, 2013, 11:06 am

The nuit was pulled from his thoughts as a raspy whisper reached his ear, and then some coughing. To add to the clamor of noise H2-A let out a bark or two until Rayage looked the animals way. When the homunculus had Rays attention it let out a whining noise and sniffed at the boy that was still coughing. ”Ah.” his voice penetrated through the silence left in the wake of the ruckus that Miros awakening caused, ”You are awake.” he said not moving from his spot, setting down his quill as he took up the glyphed spell once more.

”Welcome back to the waking world.” he said getting up, the chair screeching in protest as wood grinded against wooden floors at the nuits command. ”It probably hurts to move. Don’t worry, that is perfectly normal.” he tried to reassure the boy as he guessed at what ailed him based on his experience with leeching in the pre-valterrian ruins, ”It pained me to move too for a while after I was initiated.” he said, ”In fact, it was the greatest pain I’ve ever felt in all my years. That time was the only time I wished I was dead. So, I can imagine how you feel based on my own experience.”

Walking over the bed the nuit took the now warm rag off the boys forehead and placed it in the bucket of water beside the bed. Taking up the one sitting on the edge, the nuit squeezed it out a bit before applying it to his head. Yet nonetheless rebellious drops of water ran down the boys face, ”You are in a highly weakened state. One you will only partially recover from.” he told him, ”You are safe with me here. You are in the University Dormitories. My own to be exact. I’ve tried to keep you as comfortable as possible, and as safe as possible. H2-A has even been keeping you company.” the nuit said, the dog barking in response to his name.

”Now,” the nuit began pacing his own room, ”You are probably wondering what exactly I did to you. I gave you what you wanted.” he told him, ”I give you the gift of Leeching. I got this discipline of magic when Evalin and I explored some lost pre-valterrian ruins.” he said, smiling at the memories, ”She didn’t always prefer the bodies of little girls.” he chuckled, ”An enchanted device drained me dry, and then I spent countless days after that trying to figure out exactly what happened to me. Even when I recovered I felt different, unclean, my very being was changed.” he paused in his story, ”So,” he said skipping parts of his tale, ”I did to you what the device did to me in hopes of passing on my state of being.” he said, ”Leeching you see, is like an infection. It takes one leecher to make another, just like almost any kind of magic. Though, as you can feel, the initiation has brutal side effects. I advise you to try not to move for a while.” he said, ”Rest.” he said, ”And if you need food it will be brought to you, along with water, or perhaps you like ale or a touch of wine?” he pondered the boys liking, but decided against giving him alcohol not wanting to make him feel even worse with a hangover.

”As you felt, Leeching is the art of taking djed from alternate sources, mainly preconceived glyphs and other wizards.” he said ‘wizards’ with a tone of delight in his voice, ”The Leecher may then use the stolen djed to cast with. Though one may find the quality of the spell using stolen djed to decline. To be safe I wouldn’t try any ‘highly spirited’” he said using Miros own definition of his own casting of magic, ”Spell-work.” he finished the sentence. ”Stick with the basics unless you have absolutely have to. Fortune and a good mind at your side will mean that you will never be pushed to the utter breaking point.” he said.

”In my studies I have found that Leeching was a way to get around overgiving. The Leechers would use the leeched energies to supplement the loss of their own djed. In other words, using leeching as a last resort. In my studies I have found that most wizards are indeed fools.” he laid the ultimatum down for the younger mage, ”I do not encourage this kind of magic use. Instead I offer a smarter alternative. Use Leeching as much as you can and for as much as you can. Instead of wasting your own djed on magic, use the power so kindly given to you and sap alternate sources!” he said, ”Use the environment, use other people, use glyphs, use everything but yourself first, and if the situation calls for it then use some of your own djed for your own magic.”

The nuit paused and looked at Miro, ”Are you following me?” he asked, noticing once again that the boys eyes had changed color. A very interesting trait indeed. Though mostly with the question he wasn’t looking for a response so to say, but acknowledgement through the eyes. There was a certain light that a teacher could recognize in his students eyes when they were actively following the subject and not daydreaming or thinking of things elsewhere. Content he continued on with his fast paced lecture, ”There are two different ways a Leecher can leech. One can open their body to the environment around them and leech energy that way, though it wont give the wizard a noticeable boost unless it has been active for quite some time… That is indirect leeching, or environmental leeching. The next form is direct leeching and it involves taking djed from specific targets, mainly glyphs, and other wizards. One can leech normal people too. In fact, the leecher can leech anything which has djed. I encourage experimentation.”

The Professor held up the glyph that he had made earlier with Miros glyphing supplies, ”Remember this?’ he asked, ”I am going to leech its energy.” he said, placing a hand onto the glyph itself, ”To leech one must envision the actual taking of the djed into himself. It is easiest to picture, for me at least, yourself and your target as two different djed sources. Each different source is a different color. Let’s say red and blue. The Leecher is red and the glyphs djed is blue. Then picture where red touches blue and slowly red takes command of blue. Like an invasion of sorts.” he tried to explain the process as he went about it himself, ”blue turns into red, and now red has command over the newly converted djed. Picture the now red djed being ripped from the blue source and joining into the red djed source.” he said mentally picturing and doing the process, slowly he felt the trickle of energy come into him, ”Keep on taking djed until there is no more to take…” he took all the djed from the glyph, ”then you may cast with it.” he said, simply releasing the energy within him, not purposing it, but rather just letting it out. He did not want to keep it in him for long. ”It’s that simple.” he said the paper crumbling in his grasp as the glyph was forcefully activated via leeching.

“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Miro on January 3rd, 2013, 11:26 am

Miro could do little more than blink and listen, but he absorbed all of the information given to him. Leeching, a personal magic it seemed, with a wicked twist. He had experienced the effects, and not since his Reimancy initiation had he wished to turn away from both magic and his teacher. The boy stared into the Nuit's eyes and watched him spell out his passion. Lessons learned over the years of undeath caused brazen arrogance to take root. It was apparent the emotions that fueled such mangled casting.

Professor Rayage's true self shone through to the boy for the first time. The guise of restraint and humility were broken apart, and now with his secrets chaining the boy down he was free. Their relation was stripped apart and put back together, much like Miro's struggling body that attempted to repair its lost substance. The man spoke in a horrific tone the potential of his new magic. Now infected with the disease, he could inflict the same damage he suffered from.

Direct and indirect Leeching, sources, how to use it, all of it was taken in. He was not sure what the consequences or risks might be, but he understood well enough how to test the waters. What the discipline was designed for was clear, but it would be in the coming times that he would find how it worked in practice. The Nuit master sounded mad with infatuation of the power it allowed him. Truly Miro wished for everything to be as good as it seemed. More than that he wished for his body to recover.

It would be a long time before he would be well to leave on his own, so it was best to accept the hospitality offered. Still he could hardly move, which was well enough. He had nowhere to go, and new question rose in his mind constantly. The coming days would be filled with new experiences, as well as a lot of work to repair his relationship. Ender would never forgive the man for the pain he put them through. Not until he could learn to harness the gift given to them.
Miro
Not quite Nuit, just a little undead.

Words: 1238727
Joined roleplay: May 15th, 2011, 7:52 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Echelon on February 4th, 2013, 11:09 am

Adventurer's Loot

A Gift
Experience is its own reward.
Rayage's Loot :
Professor Rayage

Skill XP Reward
Organization +1XP
Philosophy +2XP
Leadership +2XP
Subterfuge +3XP
Interrogation +1XP
Stealth +1XP
Observation +2XP
Wilderness Survival +1XP
Rhetoric +1XP
Teaching +3XP
Glyphing +2XP
Drawing +1XP
Calligraphy +1XP
Leeching +4XP
Hypnotism +1XP

Lore:
Punctual As Always
In Search Of Only Self-Validation
Administering Shameless Flattery
An Eye For Talent A Flare For Danger
Safe From Prying Eyes and Judging Minds
Truth is But Perception
Theoretical Power of Perception
Beauty In The Beast
Inspiration In Mutual Destruction
Revealing Secrets
Proposing A Selfish Offer
Conveying The Importance of Glyphing
Preaching of Leeching
Knowledge Passed By Pure Demonstration
Fair Advice on Deaf Ears
Leeching: Initiating Another

Items or Consequences:
Rayage will be getting a little present, a side effect from casting Hypnotism while simultaneously having emotions thrust on him. He will feel more at ease indefinitely and will have a harder time responding with any urgency or fear. This will actually help his ability to reason calmly in the face of all threats (save overgiving), but will also slow his physical reaction time including casting speed. I know of no ways to remedy aside from perhaps thorough reversal hypnosis by another practitioner. In addition, any time he does manage to become impassioned despite this condition he will feel a severe phantom pain in his right hand. Enjoy.
As you said, H1-A is too adventurous for his own good, and to be any use to a "person" with only 6 points in animal husbandry. I understood you used hypnotism on your creations but it takes a more intimate knowledge of how animals think and perceive the world to know exactly how hypnotism will effect them, and now Rayage will know this. H1-A will be heading off into the woods while Rayage is busy, and you may try to find him in another thread if you wish. H2-A will remain by your side, however, for now. If you have issue with any of these consequences I encourage you to petition Paragon for opposing rule. However, I have to call threads how I read them.

Notes: You slip up on tensing rather often, do keep an eye on that. You need to add some pattern or trigger for the recipient of Hypnosis spells, even in glyph form. This could be as simple as some subtle popping sounds or rapidly pulsating light. But, something. Without this I am afraid the glyph can not work.

Miro's Loot :
Miro

Skill XP Reward
Stealth +2XP
Logic 1XP
Socialization +1XP
Subterfuge +1XP
Acting +2XP
Flux +1
Meditation +2XP
Logic +1
Glyphing +3XP
Philosophy +1XP
Drawing +1XP
Calligraphy +1XP
Hypnotism +1XP
Leeching +1XP
Familiary +3XP

Lore:
Preparation Paths The Road to Success
Degrading Co-Dependance
susceptible to Praise
Boasting To A Fault
Rayage: Sage
Cliche Fueled by Youth
Safe From Preying Eyes and Judging Minds
Shroud One's Skills
Showmanship Is Half The Magic
Fluid Mastery of Res
Blatant Disregard For Elder of Nature
An Ignorant Vow of Protection
Importance of Glyphing in Magical Endeavors
Argument For Leeching
Pride Beyond Question

Items or Consequences:
Skipping all temporary repercussion of overgiving since the thread is so overdue for grading.
Skin Glyphing is dangerous, and even with channeling glyphs the effects can be felt with the most minor of mistakes (usually caused by ink bleeding into pores and over body hair) Miro will have one muscle in his arm that twitches uncontrollably and aches for a month, and the effect will still flare up for the rest of his life from time to time, especially when he uses flux through his arms. Eventually in ten to twenty years a clot of blood from an artery near this point will loose and cause a severe heart attack. Advanced Leeching can hurry this process. A precise message from a Tier 3 Healer can fix this permanently.
Miro will feel intense depression when not using magic for over a season, which will persists indefinitely if he does not suspend using magic consecutively for at least a weeks time. (Not including his Gnosis)
Miro will feel a minor increased inclination to trust others from this point on, and will in turn feel as if others are more inclined to trust him. This sensation is completely irrational and can only be overcome by several hours of focused meditation with attempts to overcome this trick of the mind specifically.
As an added bonus to Miro's initiation he can no longer recall his mother's true face, nor any beloved female figures in his life, not without those red mars across the memory which he will be aware are perversions of what they must actually look like. Seeing these women again can help lessen these thoughts and eventually nullify this consequence.
Ontop of that his overall Djed capacity has dropped, and will remain that way till he manages to gain at least five more points in a physical health skill such as body building. Beyond that I'm afraid your little familiar buddy will be stuck in his bracelet form, which Miro will need to recover from the forest/Rayage when he awakes. He will remain in that form until you encase him at least a gallon of water/ice once a day for a full moon cycle, Miro will inateley be aware this is what he must do, as if it were his own body in need of repair. He will gradually be able to communicate more and more through this time, but on a reduced capacity. Until he is restored to full strength you will feel greatly fatigued, and your Djed will be effected. This requires at least one thread of this process to resolve.

In Miro's Excitement all of the ink was either used or spilled, you will need to restock. Try gaining some more points in organization/observation to avoid this mishap in the future.

Notes: None

(Wow, guys. Try to take overgiving a little more seriously in the future, ok? Magic is dangerous and if you ignore the effects now by the time they are capable of real damage it will be too late for them. Ride them hard so that they can wisen up. You will likely want to go back and edit some of the wake up scene. If you have any specific glyphing lores you would like please PM me with them. If you have any issues with this grade please feel free to ask Paragon for an appeal, his authority outweighs mine, though I feel I have been fair here. As a special opportunity you may post after this grade in this thread to write any additional posts dealing with these side effects that you wish, then resubmit for a second grading without having to worry about time stamps in the future.) - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, please AIM me.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous