Flashback Full Circle

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Taloba, home to the Myrians, is the thriving core of Falyndar. Inhabited by a fierce and savage tribe where blood sacrifices are normal and a way of life, they are untamed and proud of it. Warlike, and with their numbers growing, the Myrians are set on reclaiming what is rightfully theirs. [Lore]

Full Circle

Postby Razkar on February 24th, 2013, 3:08 pm

69th Day of Spring, 511AV
The Training Yards

"I don't know why you're getting to worried about this."

"It's a big responsibility, Era."

"Well, yes, of course it is, but hardly worthy of a nervous breakdown."

Razkar looked up from his stew to shoot Erama a dirty look, but it bounced off her cool expression like a stone off plate armor. The tall female with the face covered in stylized ink just crossed her arms and cocked an eyebrow.

"Oh, and now you will tell me you're not panicking, I suppose?"

Razkar tried his best to maintain that defiant expression, but eventually looked away. He'd known Erama for going on three years, and as all soldiers know, that translates to far, far longer when you've trained and marched and fought and killed alongside that person. She knew him very well and it was pointless trying to hide his moods from her.

"I just... don't want to screw up. Training the new recruits-"

"Helping to train them,"
Erama corrected, mopping up the remainder of her sloth stew with half a hard roll, "We're assistant instructors, remember? You act as if the whole weight of the training program is on our shoulders, and it isn't."

"I know that!"

"Then stop worrying!"

Razkar's jaw clenched but nothing else was said. Nothing needed to be. She was, unfortunately, right. But wasn't she wrong, too? They were still technically recruits, after all, not even finished with their mandatory service to the army of Taloba. But they had accomplished much in their time. Endless training sessions and classroom lectures, dozens of patrols and a score of raids, ambushes and skirmishes against many foes. They had shed blood and had it shed from their own flesh. They had proved themselves worthy, or tried to... quite recently, as it turned out.

Apparently impressed with her Erama and Razkar taught a class of raw recruits, Herliz, one of the most uncompromising and sadistic instructors at the Training Yards, had requested the two become her assistants. Honored, flattered, shocked and a little afraid, both had agreed.

That day was their first, and their students would be waiting.

Razkar chomped down the rest of his meal with relish and pushed his bowl across the table, rising. Around him the hubbub of the mess hall lessened not an iota, filled with dozens of males and females who worked tirelessly enough to appreciate their meals. Erama rose with him, still chewing her role, smiling at the sudden purpose in the serious little male's eyes.

She always called him that, and it was only half-mocking.

"Ready?"

Now there was no hesitation. "Yes."

"Then lets get some revenge, shall we?"

Razkar chuckled at that, remembering the hammering they'd taken when they'd first arrived years ago. Their instructors had harangued and harassed them like demons, punishing them for any infraction and beating their lessons into them. But looking back on it, Razkar understood there was no hatred in their actions, no disdain or abuse.

War was cruel, and harsh, and unforgiving. Their training would be the same, or they would not be prepared.

Male and female marched from the hall and to the open, sand-covered yards, where a dozen recruits were waiting for them.
My Words | Your Words | Myrian | Fratavan | My Thoughts
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Words: 2242619
Joined roleplay: October 8th, 2012, 12:04 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (2)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Full Circle

Postby Osias Trott on February 27th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Another training session, they never ended – she didn’t mind though, it gave her a chance to learn from the more experienced and to better herself as a fighter and a Myrian but if you had asked her two years ago she would have told you she didn’t need training. Two years ago she would have thought she was the bees-knees and then most likely would have been made to look like the fool she was. Times had changed. The army changes you, molds you and thank Myri for that or she would have been killed long before now.

Catrii sat on the edge of her cot, her knee pulled up to her chest as she started threading the laces of her boots together and tightening them appropriately as the sound of one of her mates broke through the cloud of her typical silence. “Catrii..” She didn’t answer, she wasn’t ignoring her but she didn’t feel that she needed to respond whatever her more talkative friend wanted would come out eventually.

“..Catrii, Catrii….” The tone was more urgent this time and without fail the shorter female was waving her hand in front of Catrii’s face making the quieter female push the limb away and stand up. “..Catrii…”

“What is it Niya?” Exasperation laced Catrii’s tone even as she attempted to hide her annoyance. While waiting for Niya’s response she began turning the long thick strands of her Mohawk into an appropriate and slightly intricate French braid that would keep her hair out of the way during their training.

“Pretty soon we’re going to be training others like us, we’ll be in their position – are you excited?” Niya was an interesting character, she always found something to be happy about and while it was refreshing from Catrii’s normal surly behavior it was tiring as well.

“No, we’ll have to deal with brats just as they did when we first started two years ago – I would hate to have someone like me from two years ago thinking they could beat me.” Catrii smiled then, it was tight but amused “Then again I suppose that’s why trainers have so much fun despite the headache, kicking reality into the asses of big headed children.” Looking down she made sure she was properly equipped and that she wasn’t forgetting anything before she reached out and squeezed Niya’s shoulder “Let’s go or we’re going to be late.”

The pair pushed out of their barracks along with the others they were housed with and moved out into the open field where their training would take place. Niya kept to Catrii’s side for the moment, looking around for where the trainers would be approaching and when she finally saw them she pointed in their direction causing Catrii’s gaze to slide that way as well.

The older soldiers always looked more menacing; no matter what stage of the game you were in and today was no different. As her fellow soldiers fanned out and everyone was paired up with their trainer Catrii silently stared at the male across from her before she nodded in greeting. He was shorter then her though that wasn’t uncommon considering he was a male; he was however exactly what someone would expect to see a Myrian look like. Catrii didn’t speak, she waited patiently to see what he wanted from her – everyone trained a bit differently than the other, some preferred if you talked and some preferred if you didn’t. It was only a matter of time before she would figure out which he preferred.
Osias Trott
I am not what I seem.

Words: 9248
Joined roleplay: February 21st, 2013, 7:24 pm
Race: Ethaefal

Full Circle

Postby Razkar on February 27th, 2013, 10:01 pm

"Those... are not recruits."

"I'm noticing that."

Razkar had long-learned the differences between recruits and soldiers, down to their very stances. On the surface it was fairly easy, but in detail the differences were much more... telling. The clutch of Myrians before them did not have the swagger, the pugnacious enthusiasm of raw recruits, nor their wariness hid behind bravado.

There was a... stillness to this fang. Males and females that were not bursting with naive desire to fight some glorious struggle, but the cold, calm reserve of warriors who had seen the horror of true battle and not emerged from it wanting. They did not stand to ram-rod attention immediately when the two of them emerged from inside, which told Razkar even more, but when they did it was with the practiced snap of men and women who had done so a thousand times before.

No, he decided, locking eyes with the hooded, sullen gave of the female standing opposite him, these aren't recruits.

"Finally!" A voice barked out like a tiger from across the Yard. "You took your petching time!"

Herliz stormed towards them like a war party unto herself and Myri's wrath all in one tall, broad, belligerent package. Razkar and Erama had trained unto the towering, grizzled female for pretty much their entire time, and it was her who saw the potential in them to be instructors.

Presumably after she'd brutalized away everything else covering it.

"Mistress," Razkar said, bowing respectfully as she approached, "Forgive me, but I thought we would we would be training raw recruits, not-"

"Change of plan,"
Herliz all but growled, and Razkar knew that would be all the explanation they would get, "These boys and girls are down for a session, and I have business elsewhere. You will train in my stead."

Both of them bowed again, knowing further debate was futile at best and physically risky at worst. Herliz swept her perpetual scowl across Catrii's fang and snarled her fond farewell.

"Don't let appearances fool you! The tattooed female is a mean little bitch and the male, well... what he lacks in genitals he makes up for in being a ruthless bastard. Learn well! Fight better!"

And with that, she was gone. Alone with this new fang, Razkar could feel their aggression amplified now. They were not recruits in awe of anyone who marched in the army of Taloba; they marched with the army, and as far as they were concerned, the male and female before them were just like them, only with a better aptitude for brown-nosing.

Time to dispel that notion.

"May I?"

Erama grunted and tilted her head abruptly. "Be my guest..."

Razkar stepped up to a male with the tattoos covering his lower jaw, glancing down at his waist and seeing the ax there. A faint smile flitted briefly over his lips. Ah, and was he any good with it, he wondered.

Don't assume, remember? Watch, learn, react and adapt.

"Get a training weapon," he said pointing to the racks of wooden sticks lining one side of the yard. He walked with him and exchanged his hand ax for a wooden one, swiping it through the air experimentally... and was satisfied.

"OK..." he said calmly, shifting his weight onto his back foot, cracking his neck muscles and raising his ax. He stood a few feet across from him, training ax in hand almost identical to his own, and instinctively a circle was cleared about them. "Let's see your attack..."
Razkar has been cursed by Yahal, and as such finds little acceptance from others; they will instinctively view him as being deceptive and traitorous. However, when close to one blessed by Yahal, the effect is negated. The curse is etched onto his left pectoral, and viewing the mark causes others to feel dirty and unclean.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Full Circle

Postby Razkar on March 27th, 2013, 10:15 pm

The male lunged forwards. Razkar didn't know his name. He would learn it later, but at that moment, it didn't matter. He was just another fresh morsel of meat that needed tenderizing.

The boy swept forwards with his right and swung at Razkar's left side, ax in his right hand. Razkar took a step and a lean backwards, ax head swinging in front of him, across his chest, momentum keeping it going-

-so the boy's kept turning, right side facing him-

-and his left arm, cocked tight to his side, darted out in a blur and slammed its fist into his kidney.

The boy yelped in pain and tried a furious backhand, already wobbling on his feet, but Razkar dropped to one knee, ax swinging over his head once again. But he was close, too close-

-and let himself fall backwards, but fast, turning his fall into a backward roll and landing on his feet-

He straightened and saw the kid panting with pain, free hand clutching his side. Razkar nodded, as if he had been expecting this, and circled the boy. His voice was strong and authoritative (or as much as he could make it), carrying around the training yard so all ears could hear it.

"The big drawback to the ax, any ax, is the swing you need to deliver a blow often throws you off balance. A two-handed ax is worse for that, but, as you just saw, a hand ax can do the same."

He lunged forward and swung, but even the recruits could see it was more controlled. The swing did not continue once it missed the recruit, swaying back to avoid the blade, wincing as his bruised kidney shifted in his torso. But Razkar did not let his body turn: he stopped the swing, backhanded again-

-left his torso open as he swung too far on the backhand, and the boy saw an opening, darting forwards to try an overarm chop at his instructor's exposed chest-

-only for Razkar to sweep his left left back, twisting at the same time so his body goes from facing him straight on to side-face, the overarm blow flying past him-

-and he uses the movement of his twisting turn to deliver a short, vicious horizontal swing to the other kidney.

Thunk!

It never connects. A quick hand flashes down and grabs the hilt of his weapon, holding it in position. The boy grins in a brief, shining moment of self-impressed victory-

-Razkar teaches him not to waste such moments by jerking his right foot into his shin. Right under his kneecap.

Another yelp of pain and the boy goes staggering back, not even trying a blond swing that time. Razkar tugs his weapon free and continues his circling, voice as calm and educational as ever.

"As this male just demonstrated," he said, pointing with his weapon to the now red-faced and angering recruit, "With the hand ax, you only need to use one hand. That means you either have a hand free for striking or grabbing, or you can fill it with another weapon. Personally-" he tapped the gladius idle in its sheath on his waist "-I prefer the latter, but it is whatever you are best with. A second point..."

He spoke directly to the boy now, seeing the wounded pride in young eyes. So foolish, for he knew how easily that could be turned against him.

"Don't stop just because you have scored a minor victory. You have won when your enemy is dead and bloody at your feet, not before. You stayed my hand, and it was quick of you to do so. But you did not capitalize. You hesitated. Here, that will cost you pain. But out there-" he gestured to the unseen world beyond the stone and sand of the training yard, and shook his head "-it will kill you."

Razkar came on again. Time for another lesson.
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Full Circle

Postby Razkar on March 27th, 2013, 11:21 pm

The boy was learning, and Razkar was pleased to see his words were taking effect. The possibility that it would make him more dangerous, smarter, able to harm him... that didn't worry him, much as he was surprised.

He was a trainer. An instructor. What was their purpose if not to try and make their students better than themselves?

The boy swayed to to his right, away from Razkar's swipe, and didn't wait for him to backhand. He bought his ax up vertically, knocking Razkar's own training weapon upwards, exposing his belly-

-and jerking his foot upwards into it.

Razkar grunted in a brief moment of pain, letting himself take a few steps back with the impact of the blow, putting some distance between them. Not bad. Not a solid kick, one born of desperation rather than cold application of strength, but still... better.

He nodded once and, further impressing him, the boy surged on, capitalizing in the way he didn't last time. Razkar had just enough time to cock his head.

Finally. Boy shows some life.

He swung out again, horizontally, as if desperately, and the boy backed up twisting to avoid it, slashing upwards yet again-

-only for Razkar to jerk his weapon back, left hand striking for the boy's damaged kidney-

The boy grinned and twisted away to his left, punching out with his own left-

-Razkar gritted his teeth, tensed his abdominal muscles and surged on, slashing again-

-the fist impacted hard, knocking some wind out but his tightened muscles absorbed most of the damage, swing still going-

-but stopping before the recruit's chest-

-and he burst forwards, straightening his ax-arm fully and stepping forward quickly at the same time-

-slamming the top of the wooden ax into the male's breastbone.

There should have been a yelp, but it was strangled off by pain as the boy staggered back yet again. His wounded leg wobbled and shook, his side was aflame, and now his chest felt like a hammer had hit it. And still that bastard male from the Shorn Skulls was barely breathing hard... though he could see the red marks from his knuckles on his stomach.

"The sharpened blade is not the only part of your weapon," Razkar said, words loud but directed at the recruit, eyes fixed on him darkly, "The top, when sharpened, and curved, can be just as dangerous, if you know how to use it and take the chance to." He twisted the weapon in his hand and tapped the bottom of the hilt. "The bottom of the shaft? It can be spiked, sharpened, made into a weapon. Are you starting to understand?"

"Stop talking to me like a child!"

There was a whisper of feverish muttering from the new blood at his impudence, until Erama silenced them all with a flashing glare. Razkar cocked a satirical eyebrow. Ah, this came faster than he expected: a rage he could truly exploit. He shrugged and examined his ax, half-turning away from the boy.

"Maybe back in your little pond you are a big fish, boy," he said airily, stressing the last word and satisfied to see the boy's face reddening, "But here, in Taloba? You're just one more sprat that will probably get thrown back."

"I have killed in battle!"

Razkar snorted, knowing what would come next. "That doesn't make you any less of a child, boy-"

With a roar of anger, the recruit played his part. He charged forwards and swung wildly with his ax, Razkar sidestepping to avoid it. The boy kicked out like an animal, uncontrolled and... unpredictable. It certainly added a new spice to their little battle.

The kick missed and Razkar swayed back again, but rage and injured pride (not to mention injured body) was driving the recruit onwards, fist swinging around in a backhanded haymaker-

-which Razkar ducked under, just as the recruit's ax swung towards him again in a backhand-

-and he grunted in pain as his free hand jerked out to grab it around the flashing handle, bruising his palm, hand ax shooting out low-

-behind the boy's good leg-

-curved ax head hooking above the ankle-

-and Razkar half-threw himself, half-jumped backwards-

The cry of anger turned to confused pain as one of the recruit's legs vanished under him, leaving all his weight balanced on that bruised shin, and he fell backwards without any warning. He landed flat and hard on the sand, shock vibrating up his spine, head slamming backward and stars claiming his eyes as the impact jarred-

Pain in his hand. A sudden slashing agony as his fingers became nerveless and his ax vanished.

Razkar disarmed the downed youth with a quick kick to his hand sending the ax flying away to land with a hushed thump on the sand.

By the time the recruit's vision cleared, all that filled it was the wooden ax head pressed to his throat, and Razkar's tall, solid frame glaring down at him.

"Two final lessons, recruit," he said slowly, and the extra pressure he pressed against the recruit's throat told him exactly what would happen if he tried to free himself, "Firstly, that curve of your ax can be used to hook, or pull, or unbalance... you can even use it scale a wall or a tree. Learn that. Secondly..."

He stepped back and extended a hand. Both males eyed each other warily. Was there some trick here? Would the younger try to seek revenge or the older employ some final assault? The others were wondering the same thing. Only Erama was a calm, almost interested face in the tense scene. She seen it before.

Tentatively, the boy reached up and Razkar pulled him to his feet. His voice softened a shade.

"Don't let your anger own you in battle. It will make you uncontrolled, wild and your reason will desert you. When that goes, so goes your discipline and your training. Then you're dead. Understood?"

"Yes... sir."

Razkar dropped his weapon to the ground and nodded after a few moments of appraising the flushed face. He flashed his eyes up and down the youth and nodded to the gateway.

"You need a healer?"

"I'm fine, sir. Just some... bruises."

Razkar grunted with amusement. "They teach you as much as I would, recruit. Believe me. Put our weapons back and get with your mates."

His orders were carried out despite his injuries and soon the recruit whose name Razkar did not know was back in line and holding himself straight despite everything. He walked away from the center of the line and nodded to Erama.

"Pick one and enjoy yourself."

"Oh, I intend to, male..."
Razkar
War Is The Answer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Full Circle

Postby Logos on April 2nd, 2013, 5:29 pm

Skill and Lore Rewards

Skills Lores
Leadership - 2 Teaching: Practical Applications
Brawling - 2 Hand Axe: It's More Than A Blade
Acrobatics - 2
Handaxe - 2
Teaching - 3
Intimidation - 1
Rhetoric - 1

Additional Notes :
Nice salvaging of an old thread! Shame it didn't get any further. As always very well written an believable. Catrii, if you ever come back PM me for the XP from this thread if you wish :)

Any questions or queries, please PM me.
Logos
Player

Words: 30622
Joined roleplay: March 2nd, 2013, 4:35 pm
Race: Staff account
Office