Completed A red herring at The Wishing Bridge (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

A red herring at The Wishing Bridge (Solo)

Postby Seeker on February 27th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Seeker

90th Day of winter, 512 AV, Midday

After a quick glance about the area, Seeker gently nudged the small sandy pebble off the railing he was currently sitting on. He could not, however, distinguish its small, sharp splash from the roar of raging melt waters that now flowed through the normally serene stream. What he did manage to decipher, from among the jumble of insane gurgles that spilled forth from the overburdened stream, distressed him. I should have foreseen the possibility of company- for surely I am not the only one who wishes to be out on such a lovely day as this.

Quickly glancing about, Seeker eyed a young couple making their way slowly up the trail that led towards the Wishing Bridge. What is the correct path to choose in this situation? He asked himself as he glanced about, looking for some sign that could help him determine how he should proceed. However, he did not find a sign; instead he found the trees and the stream. The nature that was starting to thrive all around him however did not give him the comfort that he was looking for.

Snippets of conversation floated on the breeze, giggling and laughter followed in a joy filled chorus, alerting him to the couples growing presence and irritating his nerves. I guess I am doomed to have my peaceful contemplation irrevocably broken. Sighing inwardly, Seeker flitted his way down the railing and made sure to come to a stop just before the railings edge. What to do then, what to do. Not wanting to interrupt the couples mirthful outing, Seeker quickly and silently made his way down the bridges railing and back onto dirt and grass once again.

Slipping quietly through the tall weeds that were beginning to sprout up around the edges of the bridge, Seeker spied the couple as they stopped to exchange quick kisses in the sun. I wonder, are they forlorn lovers? Come to escape the pressures of an un-accepting world? Or could they be something forbidden? Siblings sharing secretive kisses? Seeker watched as the young human male slowly ran a hand down the small of the girls back. They would be at the bridge soon- he needed to decide on a course of action. They could always be a known couple- flitting away for a quiet afternoon together.

Finally deciding upon a path, Seeker started concentrating from between the weeds. Mayhaps the vegetation will provide enough coverage so that I appear non-distinct. He silently wished to himself as he began to shape and mold his body. Luckily for him, the couple remained engrossed in each other and, seemingly enjoying the fleeting sun filled kisses, luckily enough for him their appearance near the bridge took several additional minutes to complete.

Just as the pair approached the stone laden table, Seeker finished molding himself into his temporary form. No one would bother questioning a nondescript owl statue next to a wishing bridge. Would they? Deciding to toss the concept of being apprehended out of his mind, Seeker focused now on the appearance of the couple and holding his form in place.

Compared to himself; the approaching couple were giants. The girl was, Seeker estimated, average height for a fully developed human female. Her hair fell in soft chestnut locks, and every so often a strand or two would fall out of place and frame her gently sculpted face. The male on the other hand was a strange mix between gangly and brutish. He was at that in-between height, where he was still adjusting to the length of his limbs in proportion to the length of his torso. His hair was shaded differently than the girls- though still noticeably a similar chestnut color. He could not help but notice that while the female was, almost undoubtedly, fully mature; the man seemed to still need a bit more time.

I cannot help but wonder what secrets this couple holds. Perhaps I shall get to find out.

It was not long before the couple arrived at the table that Seeker realized he would have to shift positions to be able to see. Often, his diminutive stature did not bother him. But at a full height of nine and a half inches, it did not take him long to figure out that being perched in the weeds is not the best place for a tiny owl. Slowly but surely, while the couple’s lips were still entwined, Seeker began the process of shifting his hands, well wings, so that the tips could be used to scale the railing of the bridge once again.

“Tobias-” As soon as he heard the first syllable pass between the woman’s lips he froze in place, a quarter if the ways up the railing. “Toby, come on.” He heard her whine. Taking a deep breath Seeker glanced over at the couple; the girl’s head was turned away from him and the boy, well the boy was nuzzling her neck. Focusing on climbing once again, Seeker did not pause until he reached the top of the railing, as the boys ministrations continued to make the girl falter. Once he was perched atop the railing, Seeker refocused on his shape. Don’t want to let myself slip now. He reprimanded as he set himself as still as a statue, content to observe the couple as a roughly hew owl statue some local child placed atop the bridge.

Neither the boy, nor the woman, seemed to have noticed him. The boy, Tobias, appeared to be engrossed in the woman’s neck- even though she was starting to successfully push him off herself. “Tobias, listen to me.” With one final push Seeker watched as Toby was forcefully shoved a couple of steps, only to stumble over an upturned root, and land on his backside.

Seeker silenced his chuckles at the boy’s indignant wail while he slowly picked himself up off the ground. Is he really pouting? Seeker wondered as he watched the boy stick out his lower lip and widened his gaze in the woman’s direction. “Marie, why’d you do a damn fool thing like that?” The woman, Marie, shook her head lightly then leaned back against the table. She looks unbelievably stern faced to be a lover. Was Seeker’s one thought as the scene progressed.

“If your Daddy knew you were here Tobias…” She began, lowering her gaze to a stone lying close to her hand. “You know what we’re doing isn’t right Toby… We can’t go on like this. Winter is done- we should leave this behind us. Please.” She pleaded quietly. But what? What are you doing that seems to be so forbidden? Seeker silently intoned as he shifted slightly.

“Marie? Why not? We’re not hurting anybody-” He began, then lowered his voice so that Seeker was barely able to hear him. “…at least no one but ourselves, perhaps.” Seeker thought that the hardening of the woman’s eyes was hard to miss; but apparently the boy did so because he was completely caught off guard by the fierce slap she laid across his face; and after the first cuff all he could do was let out a moan before she slapped him again. Seeker, deciding not to interfere, could only watch as the boy crumpled into a heap upon the bench next to the table.

“Tobias Winkler, you listen and you listen good.” She began, standing over him like an angry teacher over an unruly student. “These cursed interactions between us must stop; it’s unnatural. I cannot allow you to come to me at night any longer… you’re almost a man now. I cannot allow it even if you beg it to be so.”

From the heaving of the boy’s chest, Seeker could not doubt that the boy was crying. What unnatural interactions? Will I ever be privy? Dragging his gaze from the sopping male, he glanced over to the women who now held a large and smooth stone between her fingers. “Make your wish boy- although know now that it will never come true.”

After a moment’s pause, Seeker watched as the woman quickly scribbled phrase onto the stone. With one quick, smooth motion, the stone went flying; above Tobias’ and Seekers head and into the brimming stream. “Forget the past and live in the present. That is my wish Tobias, for we can now no longer live any other way.” Seeker was mildly surprised when wandered over to the bridge and stopped right next to him. Slowly but surely he watched as she lowered her gaze to meet his stony one. A smile spread across her face, for the briefest of moments, and then she winked and stood straight once again.

Faltering and surprised by the acknowledgement of his mental presence, Seeker felt his form slip and desperately tried to regain his solid hold on it. Did she really know, or was she merely guessing that I am more than I appear to be? Concentrating fully on his form once more, and trying to overcome the weariness he felt, Seeker missed Marie's exit from the Wishing Bridge.

“Make my wish…” He heard Tobias mumble as he straightened himself out. “…but know it will never come true.” Slowly Seeker watched as the now forlorn boy straightened himself out. “How does she expect me- expect me to survive after this?” Well he seems to be a bit dramatic.

“A wish…” The boy mumbled again. Seeker watched as he forcefully grabbed the nearest, darkest, most jagged stone within reach. “If she wants a wish; a wish it will be.” He said. And Seeker, unlike with the woman’s stone, could clearly see the big block letters that the boy painted on. Death.

The boy’s wish unnerved Seeker, so much so that he nearly missed the boy trot over to the edge of the bridge and gaze over the side into the turbulent waters. “Well owl, it seems it is just you and me now.” Tobias mumbled to himself, his eyes dancing between the stone in his hand and the waters below. “If I wasn’t so cowardly, perhaps I would jump in along with my stony wish. I know for a fact that I would not live to see the other side.” Torn between revealing himself to the boy, to possibly prevent him from hurting himself, and remaining concealed all Seeker could do was offer silent empathy.

“But alas, I am one of the most cowardly of them all… and thus my stone must venture into the waters alone.” And with that Seeker watched as the stone slowly slipped between his fingers and down into the depths of the stream. In the next instant, the boy had turned and had started back off in the way he came; leaving Seeker in peace and solace once more.

Once Seeker was sure the path was clear, and that he was truly alone, he quickly and expertly shifted back into his normal form. “Well that was a most unexpected turn of events.” He said, nervous to break the peace now that he had it once more. Eying the pathways that led out of Wishing Bridge, he decided on the more unused pathway. With the mention of death, he no longer wanted to remain in this tainted place.
Seeker's Character Sheet

~When you st out on your journey,
pray that the path is long; and that
it is a never ending fountain of
knowledge and adventure.~ Seeker Image
Seeker
Player

Words: 19872
Joined roleplay: February 15th, 2013, 5:49 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

A red herring at The Wishing Bridge (Solo)

Postby Elysium on April 3rd, 2013, 9:03 pm

Seeker

XP:
Observation +5
Intelligence +3
Meditation +1

Lore:
Pycon: Shape of an Owl
How to Spot a Lover's Quarrel
Lore of the Wishing Bridge
The Story of Marie and Tobias, Love Lost

Notes: I thought this was brilliant. I very much enjoyed reading it! If you have any questions, feel more than welcome to PM me! :)

and so, the journey continues...
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)