Open Snarlwings Attack

Those pesky weasels are back and out for blood.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Snarlwings Attack

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on February 24th, 2013, 5:19 am

There were shouts through out the city, some by those of the Kuvay'Nas, and others by Akalak who were trying to keep the little beast in one area and away from their animals and stocks. Riaris was seriously irritated by now and snatched a flame thrower from one of his brothers in arms so that he could light the flapping cluster of weasels ahead of them. The snarlwings screeched loudly as they one by one fell out of the sky leaving a torched mess of fur and skin on the ground.

Riaris continued to move through the streets burning each and every one of the little villains until his weapon was depleted and he ended up tossing the whole thing at them. Again he took up a net and started to swing high and wide to snatch as many as he could before he slammed the load into the wall and smashed the lot of them. Riverfall was busy this season and so much was happening, which kept Riaris and the Kuvay'Nas very busy and on their feet.

Once the area was mostly clear, Riaris continued on through the streets and followed the trail of the remaining snarlwings to help finish the rest of them off. Snarlwings were bad enough, but this bunch seemed different and more violent. Riaris couldn't think of what could have caused this change in them, and he hoped there wasn't another wave of them on the way.

The more you try to silence me, the more I'm gaining ground.
Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Words: 299930
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2012, 6:39 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Snarlwings Attack

Postby Kavala on February 26th, 2013, 9:42 pm

It felt good to be fighting back to back, side to side, with Vanator. He was skilled, amazingly athletic and she felt like she could focus her attention on her reimancy casting just as he did knowing the moment she was caught up in it, he'd have her back. He was sparking fires right and left and she was fanning the flames into the sky, avoiding structures and catching snarlwings mid-air. When Van's djed played itself out, and she inhaled deeply and expelled the last of her air reimancy to fan his last spark, Kavala gripped her daggers and started hunting the fallen creatures. She used the time to twist and bend, watching Vanator's back as she dropped low, stabbed and slit throats, and came back up snatching what she could from the sky when the creatures fell lower.

The snarlwings were no match for the humans even though they did considerable damage. They just weren't in the physical shape to create any real threats nor where they particularly fearsome. The numbers thinned drastically and Kavala and Vanator had a hard time maintaining footing as the streets went sloppy with blood and viseral fluids from the fallen creatures. In the distance Kavala could see nets at play and other sparks of fire lighting up the sky. Flame throwers perhaps? Other reimancers? She wasn't sure and they weren't close enough to know.

Soon though all the snarlwings were so few that only stragglers remained, some perched on roof tops or some hovering over the fallen. They did strange things then, something Kvavala shouldn't have been surprised about though she was. The ones that remained all began to drop from the sky and feed on those corpses that lay littering the streets. The creatures were so starved that cannibalism was decidedly an option to them and they feasted. To Kavala that was incredibly sad because it meant their starvation was greater than their fear of death at the hands of the people on the ground and that they were in more desperate straights than she'd first anticipated.

On the ground they were easy to kill. Kavala lashed out with a boot, striking one in the head with her heel in a perfect unarmed kick. Another she ended, its wing broken and singed from a fiery fall, with a quick knife to the back of its head. Soon she was as bloody as Vanator and they'd thinned the snarlwings out and all the groups on the ground had come together.

Kavala was breathing hard, gore in her hair, a lock of her white mane singed. She'd been protected by the worst of Vanator's erratic fire via her armor and gloves. And as the pair were joined by the Kuvay'Nas, Kavala recognized Riaris and nodded to him. "You okay?" She asked, meaning if he was hurt, then she turned to Vanator and asked him the same question. She was bloody and gore covered but she had no wounds. The Snarlwings weren't really that big of a threat to adults. "What do we do now? Cleanup?" She asked, if no one had any healing that was required.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Snarlwings Attack

Postby Vanator on March 11th, 2013, 6:58 pm

Once the swarming packs of winged vermin dissipated, Vanator drew a deep breath. His head ached a bit, but his adrenaline was flowing, and only the exhaustion of the very djed that he craved to employ could deter him from the intoxication of pouring forth res and throwing his fire. The Denusk siblings set to the gruesome task of eliminating the remaining creatures, moving in sync, dispatching wounded snarlwing while defending one another from panicked survivors. Vanator had taken up his battle ax again in his left hand, using the butt of the heavy haft to crush the small weasel-like skulls while the hand ax in his left fended off any still flying around.

A glance to his sister's ivory features betrayed her concern, even the Drykas could see things were not right with the winged animals, and as they feasted upon their own dead, Vanator grimaced, batting at the cannibals with the flat of his ax head. The damaged the snarlwings had done would be minor compared to what could happen if the sickly looking creatures were diseased.

Vanator heard Kavala's voice and turned to see the Akalak Riaris approaching, her sister inquired of both men regarding their safety. Van stepped towards the Konti and Riverian nodding to the bulky man, whom he had met only eight days before, after they had fought off the bone-dogs. "I am fine." The Drykas answered, wiping the blood from his face with his shirt sleeve. He looked at Kavala, then at Riaris.

"I would say these better be cleaned up fast, or you risk an outbreak of disease, or parasites, or whatever these half-starved things may have." His boot nudged at a half-burnt snarlwing carcass.Vanator certainly did not have much place to offer advice, he was not even a citizen. Regardless, Sanctuary was under the jurisdiction of Riverfall, and the fortified healing facility was his home. He would help however he could.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Snarlwings Attack

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on March 14th, 2013, 1:21 am

What was left in the streets after the attack was nothing anyone wanted to see. Burned tiny corpses, others slit open, and even some crushed, all piled on top of the other and every where else. It was a disgusting sight and it was obvious what the next task would be..clean up. Riaris stumped through the muk of flesh and fur along with the rest of his brothers as they searched for any lingering weasels to smash. They soon found more grotesque sights, snarlwings falling and eating their own. Something was wrong with these and Riaris was sure to slam his boot into any that he saw still alive.

They raced passed others in the streets doing the same, and some already cleaning up the mess around them. He saw Kavala and Vanator standing their ground with a pile of winged beast all around them. He could imagine that it was a good show, seeing Kavala in actions, though he knew nothing of her fighting style or weapons beyond the dagger that she led him borrow.Riaris hustled over to meet her and nodded that he was ok. "I hadn't expected to see you in the city. Were you out late?" He hoped he didn't sound too protective in that moment, over the years it had grown on him with always looking after his sisters.

Riaris nodded to Vanator as well before addressing their concerns. " I'd rather not leave anything to chance. This mess should be cleaned up at once and the remains burned. I will go back to the lodge to get the supplies that we need and me and my brothers will try to get this taken care of as quickly as possible." If Kavala or Vanator had nothing left to add, then Riaris would hurry off back to the lodge to get the equipment that they needed.

He would return several chimes later carrying nets and another flamethrower to finish burning the critters. "To think on a peaceful night like this, would be interrupted by snarlwings. Were the bonedogs not enough trouble. I should like to hope that the rest of the season isn't as busy..though I must admit. Crushing the little critters had it's advantages."

Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Snarlwings Attack

Postby Kavala on April 1st, 2013, 5:59 pm

Kavala met Riaris' gaze for a moment, lingering, then glanced around at the mess all about. "No, Vanator and I were working in the stableyard at The Sanctuary. We saw the flock fly overhead. It came in from the northeast. It looked like trouble, so we came to help. Isn't that the duty of all Rivarians?" Kavala said, glancing at Vanator for a moment. Her eyes caught his and Van could see the uncertainty in his sister's gaze.

Kavlaa knew Vanator was Drykas. And she knew he hadn't yet opted to test for Citizenship, but she was fairly certain he felt part of the community nonetheless. Still she hesitated speaking for him, using the term 'we' instead of 'I'. But he had come to help... so she knew he felt at least a little bit welcome. That was the source of her uncertainty.

Turning back to Riaris, she could tell with her Rak'keli's gnosis that he suffered from no wounds. She would have liked a quick hug or some sign of familiarity - a quick kiss - but Kavala was starting to realize that when Riaris was in uniform, he was mostly all business. That had been her experience with most Akalak as their Nakivak. They kept business, work, and pleasure all separate. Kavala had that incessant Drykas need to blend them all into one thing. She would have offered Riaris a sign of affection as well, but she didn't want to do so in front of his comrades if it wasn't accepted culturally. She'd lived in Riverfall for four years now, but there were still things about the Akalak she didn't know. And she wasn't going to be the one to embarrass Riaris if a hug or a quick kiss from a lover was a sign of weakness in his society.

From what she'd seen the Drykas were far more affectionate. Perhaps it was the fact that the Akalak lived so long and in relative safety behind their walls. Her own people (the Drykas, not the Konti) died often and of numerous ailments, mostly predatory... so affection was open and quick and often spontaneous.

So she instead turned and gave her brother a quick hug of thanks, mostly for coming with her and for being who he was - the fierce fighter and defender. He didn't have to claim these people as his own or assume responsibility for them. Yet he did. And that meant the world to her. Then she nodded as Riaris departed abruptly.

"Well he said clean up, so I guess we'd better get too it."
Kavala cleaned off her weapons and carefully began forming a large pile with the corpses of the snarlwings in the center of the street. The Akalak could either burn them there or opt to take them outside the city and handle their disposal there. But just because the killing was over didn't mean the work was. In army it was gruesome work, gathering armloads of corpses, hauling them like cords of wood, and piling them up in the middle of the street. There was a great deal of entrails as well, blood, and assorted visera around. She stooped to pick up sections of wings, little heads, and the tattered remains of nets that had been scorched or taken from their handlers by the sheer volume of Snarlwings inside. Kavala was just as dirty as the street was while they lingered with the cleanup, moving first up one street to another, leaving a series of piles in their wake along with the other workers.

Citizens poured out to help, and soon the mass populace was scrubbing blood off sidewalks with big brooms and peeling dead corpses out of gardens and off lawns. It was a refreshing sight to see... even the young boys and occasional human girls pitching in.

When Riaris returned, Kavala nodded at his words. They were quite a ways away from where they started from and he'd left them. The cleanup was progressing well. And Kavala had noticed the same thing she noticed fighting them. These snarlwings were starved and had no choice. She said as much to Riaris as well. "It's not a normal behavior of the animals, Riaris. I suspect these animals were severely malnourished and were looking for new prey. So I think coming to Riverfall was a last desperate act for them. We left none alive for me to really tell, but I felt such an overwhelming hunger and desperation while we were fighting them. We might never know why they are starving... but I bet it had to do with the djed storm and lack of food available where their normal colony is." Kavala said, sighing softly and looking around.

There was really not much more to do.... with all the help they had gained from the general population, things were wrapping up fast.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Snarlwings Attack

Postby Vanator on April 9th, 2013, 2:36 pm

Vanator shook his mane. Even in the cool night air, the locks were wet, the exertion to bring down the snarlwings and the heat from the Denusk fire blasts causing him to sweat. Flecks of ash and gore fell from the tangled hair. When Riaris approached, the Drykas nodded in greeting to the large Akalak, familiar now after the incident with the bone dogs. His gold-flecked dark gaze darted to Kavala as she explained how they had come to Riverfall's aid, seeing the uncertainty regarding his own motives. She was right, Vanator was not ready to become a citizen. To do so seemed to be renouncing his identity as a grasslander, whether it was legitimate or not. Nevertheless, he admitted that Sanctuary was his home now. And, though he would not openly admit it, Riverfall was by default his city. Times were changing, he was changing.

Neither did Vanator miss, even in the moonlight, the flash of emotion that crossed the Konti's blue gaze when it was cast upon Riaris. Regardless of his personal feelings, seeing even a glimpse of affection in his sister's eyes brought a small, crooked grin to her big brother. A full smile broke out when Kavala turned to embrace him, which Vanator returned with a firm squeeze.

Vanator moved to the other side of the street, across the growing pile of small carcasses from where Kavala worked, unslinging the small shield from his back and using it to shovel the dead vermin into the heap. Up and down the street, others came out of their dwellings to gather up the bodies and set things right after the chaos.

When Riaris found them again, Vanator watched the Akalak and Konti speak. He knew they discussed the matter at hand, but understood there was more between them. They were beautiful, for the brief moment the Drykas-centric man could look at them objectively. The Denusk man experienced many emotions over the seemingly innocuous connection between Riaris and his sister. Protectiveness, caution towards the Akalak, happiness for Kavala, and a bit of jealousy. He told himself that, if things progressed, he would put himself aside and support his sister in whatever her heart desired.

Taking a bucket filled with carcasses from a small Akalak boy, Van dumped the bodies onto the pile.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Snarlwings Attack

Postby Riaris Dovukalis on April 9th, 2013, 11:24 pm

Riaris nodded to Kavala, the konti was a true Rivarian in every way. He was glad that she came to help and even more so that she was ok. His eyes lingered on her as his hand reached out to take hers. It was moments like these when he was sure there was something Akalak about her. "That is too bad." The Akalak said to Kavala's words." It seems that even the animals are falling on hard times as well. The djed storm..I wouldn't doubt it and I wouldn't be surprised if this happens again, although I'd prefer it didn't."

His hand moved up her arm slowly before he drew her closer into a hug. He peeked towards the Drykus for a bit as he held the konti close. He felt drawn to her as he usually did, but after a battle there was a need for closeness, a need for...companionship. He released her then and went about handing out the much needed supplies so that they could get to work.

"I can imagine this will be a long night and we have a lot of do." He glanced to Kavala again, his pale gaze hinting that there were other things that he would rather be doing with her than cleaning the streets. But as the konti had said, it was the duty of the city to step up and help when needed, and so they would.

Riaris Dovukalis
Prediction?......Pain

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Thread (2)

Snarlwings Attack

Postby Limey on April 12th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Riaris

Skill and Lore Rewards
Skills Lore
Observation 2 Arm Wrestling: Strength And Cunning
Bodybuilding 1 Snarlwings: A Common Nuisance
Net 3 Lore: Alcohol Atomizer, A.K.A. "Flame Thrower"
Planning 1 Catchin' And Smashin With Nettin'
Women And Children First
Cleanse With Fire
Kavala: A Trace Of Akalak In The Konti

Namorin

Skill and Lore Rewards
Skills Lore
Never Turn Down A Home Cooked Meal

Kavala

Skill and Lore Rewards
Skills Lore
Animal Husbandry 1 Using Dogs In Combat
Reimancy 3 Rob Them Of The Sky
Observation 3 The Desperation Of Starvation
Dagger 1 Fanning The Flames
Riaris: A Professional When In Uniform

Vanator

Skill and Lore Rewards
Skills Lore
Hand Ax 2 Coming To Riverfall's Aid
Remiancy 3 Burn 'Em Down
Observation 2 Even In Battle, Look At The Reasons
Planning 1 Giving What Advice You Can

Shared Lore:
Snarlwings: Individually Annoying, But Lethal In Swarms
Kuvay'Nas, Sanctuary And Denusks: Unstoppable Working Together
Snarlwings: Slaughtering The Weak, Sick And Helpless
A New Disease For Riverfall?

Additional Notes :
Well, a lot got packed in here considering it was only a two page quest. Shame that Namorin vanished, but c'est la vie.

Great work as usual, guys. I don't need to give you three much critique... but I would say, Riaris, that I saw a few spelling and grammar mistakes that could be easily corrected. The rest was all good, and I liked the inventive use of Reimancy and a practical use of netting. The three-pronged assault from three factions was very well-realized, too.

All in all... good job, guys. ;)

Any questions or queries, please PM me.
Limey
[Insert G&R Lyrics Here]

Words: 91990
Joined roleplay: January 20th, 2013, 10:32 pm
Race: Human
Office

Previous