Open Without? Within? Withwho?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Without? Within? Withwho?

Postby Quiarinox on December 16th, 2012, 9:20 am

Winter 5th, 512 AV

You'll miss me when I die, right?

Painting was a soothing practise, one that took her mind off the petty grievances that continued to tug troublesomely at her heartstrings long after they had been severed. With each swipe of a paint-laden brush, the Ethaefal sought to swipe away the ache of betrayal long since treated. It took her mind off words murmured during quiet hours and touches shared during tumultuous passions.

She felt better for it.

Pale green contended for space with sky blue and yellow. Buildings of coral pierced the sky with sharp peaks. The milk in the paint was meant to give the buildings the same surreal appearance the crystal buildings of Lhavit possessed, but that lay beyond Quiarinox's talents and the abilities of the people that mixed the paint. She had wanted paint bonded by milk today and had been given a pallete for a short while but every time she considered the expanse of canvas she couldn't help but feel disappointment. Determination kept her from starting anew but perfectionism kept her from being content with the colourful mess on her easel.

She raised a paint-smeared hand to rub at the bridge of her fine nose. Her eyes closed and she sighed before she relented and returned her overly judgemental gaze to her work. A glass of water, made murky by the colours that swam in it, was disturbed as Quiarinox cleaned the brush. Once done, she wiped it carefully on a towel and went at the canvas again.

The buildings were done and now she turned to the faceless blobs of colour she meant to make into renditions of humans. Because she had no love of the Sunborn, they did not feature in her art. All the faces were absent a pair of shimmering horns in every picture she did of the city unless night was the featured time. It wasn't an apparent detail but it was one she was adamant to remember.

With a vengeance, she returned to painting. Until the noon rest, she continued, whittling down her stock until her brush was left scraping dry on the pallete and the canvas was this horribly wonderful abstract of Lhavit that she had tried to save by making it look even worse with sudden dashes of dark blue and silver, as though trying to fit the theme of night in with the delight of day. It didn't look good, she knew that, and she wanted to put it aside to dry quickly, but as she rose from her seat Nat appeared at her side as though summoned and cast her critical stare at the canvas. She was lucky it was a small painting for if it had been a large one, she might have caused her significant trouble.

"It's not that bad, Nox. A little busy, maybe, and a little heavily done, but its not that bad." Nat had a kind word for everyone, but Quiarinox knew she meant well and took the compliment for what it was. She had painted it too heavily. The canvas was literally sodden with it and when she looked back to criticise it again, streaks of it had run down into other colours and dripped onto the floor. Her eyes found offending specks of paint on the fabric of her pants and shirt as well but she didn't mind that look.

"I understand. Let me move this aside to dry and I'll see about another canvas and a lighter hand." The Moonborn said, the murmur of her voice just loud enough for Nat to hear.

"Let it sit over the break on the easel. Once the paint is drier, you can move it then, but I'd prefer that after the noon break." Nat said quickly. She cast her appraising gaze to the window overlooking the peak. "Go on. Two bells should be enough time for it to stop running at least." Nat seemed to have an unnerving amount of patience for she maintained her kind tone. Quiarinox wasn't about to argue and as she got to her feet, she took her cloak from the back of her chair and clasped it. She needn't worry for her painting kit and the brushes because most would take advantage of the rest to get some time to themselves.

She left the studio a handful of chimes later and burst into the street with a feeling of excitement. She avoided a near collision with a courier and her friends and bowed them away. She had two bells to herself now and could properly enjoy them in the city.
Quiarinox
basilisk's glare.

Words: 67285
Joined roleplay: September 5th, 2012, 10:50 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Farlen on December 16th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Lhavit was indeed a somewhat original looking city. The skyglass buildings, the lack of greenery and even the mildness of winter led Farlen to think that there was something greater, than man's excellent ability to build magnificent architecture, at work. Perhaps some mad kind of magic. He wasn't a fan of magic... djed, whatever they called it, for he could simply not wrap his head around it. He wasn't a stupid being at all. But some concepts proved a greater challenge than others.

Wrapped in his fur lined cloak, he strolled down the streets, pretending to everyone who passed him that he was indeed not lost. He just couldn't quite pinpoint his location. This city was so new to him and it's structure confusing to say the least. Though, being a traveller for the entirety of his life, he was used to being lost and it became something along the lines of second nature to him. If worst came to worst, he'd smell his way back to Astreia's house, where he currently resided. Life was simplicity now. He had a place to stay, food to eat and a maze of streets and alleys to get lost in every day.

He passed men and women alike, all going about their daily business, all paying no attention to him just like he paid none to them. A museum of faces he did not recognise. To his left a woman had avoided near collision with some other people, a certain elegance in her manner. And he would have walked right past if he had not noticed her hair. Inarta? He thought briefly as the exquisite red colour flashed before his eyes. He had just came from wind reach and truly did not expect to meet another one of those Inartas so soon within a new city. Falren halted and stared wide eyes at the woman. She did not smell of the Inarta. In fact the heavy smell of paint lingered around her.
Farlen
Player

Words: 23677
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2012, 4:52 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Kaendas Farstone on December 16th, 2012, 2:57 pm

The exhausted Kaendas cautiously took his first steps into the towering city. With awe he looked at the incredible architecture and height of the buildings. The tales and descriptions that he had heard and read about weren't exaggerated at all. The way up to the city was quite a hike, but the imposing glitter and beauty of it all made him forget about his tiredness for a moment. He walked around for a few minutes but had already lost himself in the tangle of streets and bridges.

He sighed and stopped to look around for a moment. He should walk up to someone and ask for directions but something prevented him from doing so. The few people that walked past him across the streets looked at him with a disapproving glance, or in some cases a long gaze. He laughed to himself whilst shaking his head. He couldn't blame them for the looks they gave him. He had just walked into the city looking like a stray dog. His cloak was spattered all over with caked dirt and his scruffy face hadn't seen a razor for almost a week. Not the most ideal conditions to start a new live in, but he still made it to Lhavit in one piece, and was happy enough about that alone. The next goal for him was to find shelter and some sort of a job. But if he was to find either he had to get up and be rude enough to ask around. Kaendas peered into the streets once more and to his relief, he noticed a woman bursting around the corner. She had blots of spilled paint covering her clothes and even some across the bridge of her nose. "This is it", the human said to himself. If there is anyone in this city that he could possibly address and ask for directions, it was probably someone that looked at least half as careless and dirty as himself. He readjusted the backpack on his left shoulder and walked in the direction of the lady. Still amazed by the glitter and beauty of the streets, the
absentminded human suddenly bumped himself into a slender yet tall, blonde man. Kaendas took a step back and apologized to the person who he clearly didn't notice in his path just a moment ago. " Oh, forgive me sir. I should've minded my step"
Kaendas Farstone
Player

Words: 5334
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2012, 10:46 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Quiarinox on December 18th, 2012, 6:49 am

As she straightened out of her manoeuvre, Quiarinox cast a glance around to see if anybody had noticed her and found two men staring at her most strangely. One was approaching and not allowing herself the pleasure of coming within a few feet of his dirtied person, she stepped back to keep the distance reasonable. She didn't like it when people stared, especially not when she was in such a state and wearing the skin of her human persona. She was stilled as he ran into the other person staring at her, made kinder when strangers weren't looking at her hopefully.

"Can I help you?" The accent of a Ravokian rolled past her lips. Throaty, sultry, and altogether as darkly wonderful as the city itself, it sounded lovely to her ears compared to the cadence of their Common. She offered them both small bows, not caring enough to dip into a deeper one, and then straightened. "Well...?"
Quiarinox
basilisk's glare.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Kaendas Farstone on December 23rd, 2012, 7:20 pm

The tired human took another step away from the tall man as he held his hands up in the air in some sort of apologizing gesture while awaiting the man's reaction. He meant no harm, the last thing he could use today was a fight. The uneasiness of the situation made the short moment in between the collision and his apology feel like slow-motion for Kaendas, almost as if time stood still on that very moment. A faint voice in the distance helped him snap out of the moment. At first he thought it was the man that was talking to him, but after blinking his eyes a couple of times he quickly realized the voice was too feminine for that of a man. It was, in reality, the voice of the woman which he was going to ask for directions, if he would have minded his step.

"Well...?" The woman's voice sounded again, much clearer and distinct this time. Confused, Kaendas turned to the woman, apparently she had asked him a question. That, or she was inquiring the other man. Either way, he hadn't heard the question. "Well what?... Sorry, I uhm mean, well...you see"
Kaendas tried to explain the situation while wildly rambling and pointing back and forth between himself, the blonde man and the lady which had just appeared. But for all his talking and gesturing, nothing sensible could be made out of what he was trying to say. He stopped to realize that he wasn't making any sense and took a deep breath before starting over again with a slight, self-mocking grin.
"I'm sorry, let me try that again. I am merely trying to ask for directions to an inn or some other place that offers beds and warm meals. You see, I have come all the way from Zeltiva and have only just arrived here and..."
The clear speech started to turn into a faint mumble again. Something about boats and merchants, barely comprehensible to any sane person. Though he realized that himself quick enough and finally concluded his ramblings with a humble bow. "So any form of direction would be very much appreciated"
Kaendas Farstone
Player

Words: 5334
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2012, 10:46 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Quiarinox on April 21st, 2013, 6:19 am

The clumsy man's stumbling words did not charm Quiarinox. Her woodland eyes did not smile even as her lips turned up and she laughed. She shook her head, red curls falling around her young face, and lost interest in the other man.

"I'm a foreigner here too, but I can help you. I'll even show you to an inn, of you would like." Her kind words held her intentions. Opportunities abounded when the clueless came to her for help, but she would not do harm to this man. There were other things...

"You can trust me, don't worry. I stay at an inn so I'll show you to that one." She gestured at him and held out her arm for him to take. It would be easier to proceed this way. Linking arms would provide security in that they wouldn't be separated during the break.
Quiarinox
basilisk's glare.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Elysium on April 28th, 2013, 6:29 pm

Quiarinox

XP:
Painting +3
Observation +2
Seduction +1

Lore:
How to Paint a Landscape
How to Paint Lhavit
The Two Strange Men

Farlen

XP:
Observation +2

Lore:
The Beautiful Stranger, Quiarinox

Kaendas Farstone

XP:
Socialization +2
Observation +1

Lore:
How to Ask For Directions
The Lovely Guide, Quiarinox

Notes: It's a shame to see this thread stop short! If you have any questions, please let me know. :)

and so, the journey continues...
Elysium
Never venture, never win.

Words: 519270
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2012, 9:49 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)