Infection and Bacteria in Medicine

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Verilian on May 24th, 2013, 6:04 pm

Oh, and movies. I remember in the movie Gladiator they stuffed maggots in a wound so that they could clean it. ..I have no idea if that actually works, but it's totally something that a Mizaharan doctor might do.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Evalin on May 24th, 2013, 6:07 pm

Or just amputate. Can't forget that. "What you have a discolored cut the size of a blade of grass on your arm? Well sorry going to have to take the whole limb." Lol
ImageImageImage

Wretched Aura: As a Wretched One Evalin possesses an unnatural aura about her that causes unease in those who get too close. It can come as a prickle of the hair on the back of the neck, a sense of 'wrongness' about her. How people experience it is different depending on their personality and how they handle the unnatural and unknown. Animals tend to become more agitated, more easily sensing how wrong Evalin is and often avoiding contact with her.
Evalin
The Immortal Witch

Words: 1033971
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:05 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Zinrah Seasonal Challenge (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Aleron Mangrove on May 24th, 2013, 8:47 pm

I'm going to say this in the nicest way I really can, which I guess isn't very nice, considering the nature of it... But the newer players, posting in this thread, have been, exclusively, helpful and kind, while some of the older players posting in this thread, have been, for the most part, to put it frankly, condescending, rude, and standoffish. - This is a broad statement, I don't mean everyone. I'd like to request that, if you feel one or the other might apply to you, look at your post in this thread, objectively as you can, and ask how you'd feel reading it, as a very new player. Of course, if you don't want to, I can't force you, just a request, it'll do nothing to help me, but perhaps, in the long run, it'll help you.

'Questions and Answers
In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.'

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means this is the place to ask these kind of questions. There is no better one, for finding out this kind of information. I'm not excessively well learned in the lore, I'm new, I apologise for that.

Moving back on topic, I'll go through post by post since my last reply.

Evalin: I didn't know about the whiskey/rum thing, although it'd make sense, seeing as (I think?) they're both relatively high proof, so they'd do a far better job of sterilisation than, say, beer and mhm, heat tends to be very, very effective for sterilising things, but I wasn't sure if there would already be a commonly taught 'better way' of doing it, e.g. without leaving the patient in even more pain than they were before. With regards to amputation, made me chuckle :P

Pheonix: Of course, and, for example, if there were some sort of wound in 'The Kelp Bar' and he had nothing better to sterilise the wound with to hand, he'd likely throw some kelp beer on it and so on for other places. Naturally, I'm entirely accepting of the fact that not everything can be in the lore - if it was, there'd be no room for creativity, but sterilisation feels like something that would be pretty standard in treating a wound, particularly if it were fairly readily available, such as whiskey/rum/washing with soap/cauterising with heat. I accept the point, of course, and any other response I'd put here, I've already given you in my previous post(s). I don't want to sound like a broken record.

Gossamer: On the subject of Auristics, the lore is really quite vague as to what it can and can't do - I had assumed this was for creative license purposes, I'm sorry if this was a mistake on my part. As for the 'x-ray vision' and 'pointing out cancers for healers', thing, I'll admit I'm somewhat confused.
Torn straight from the wiki (with my annotations on the end):
'Auristics can be used to find out if someone recently entered a room, or if someone is wounded underneath their clothing' - x-ray-like vision?
'An aura contains precious information for the Aurist to read; for example, he may be able to establish whether an object is cold or hot without having to touch it.' - this is very, vague, and leaves a lot open to interpretation. Is this a basic use of Auristics? An advanced one? Who could tell me? I'm sure I don't know, please, feel free to assist me here, I'd be glad of it, as I don't know, and I want to learn more, without any hard facts, I have to assume and take creative license.
'For example, an Aurist may realize they are in the presence of an unsettling aura simply as it brushed against their skin. Vague information such as this is basically a passive ability' - would this not mean that if an Auristic were to put their hand to a wound, something like an infection, if it gave off any aura at all ('everything creates an aura around itself'), it would surely be one that would be unpleasant, or at the very least, distinct from the natural flow of Djed, blood, and anything else inside the body?
I could probably go on, but again, I'm getting very heavily off topic here, so I'll move on, saying as my last point on the matter - just because something didn't go the way you intended to, doesn't mean it was a 'failure' or everyone else is 'doing it wrong'. If you find this is happening, these 'deviations' from what you'd expect from Auristics, on a regular basis, something, somewhere, has gone very wrong with either how it was planned it out, or put across.
Moving back to infection, I'll say, simply, I've given the points, the reasons why I believe what I'm saying to be correct. You've basically said no means no, with the reasoning that they just don't know about it. Which if you're forcing me to accept, I guess I have to - you're a founder, I am but a new member trying to understand how elements of this world are meant to work, and why.

Verillian: I should probably clarify my point three - As I say, I'm rather new, at the time of my original posting, I knew nothing about the Gnosis marks from Rak'keli, and should probably re-clarify it now I know a little more about them. However, yes indeed, it's in the lore. Do Rak'keli's followers understand what they are doing when they're healing such a wound, when they're sterilising it? I don't really know, and would find it hard to say. I assume they must have at least a basic knowledge of what they're doing to their patient. No idea about the maggots, could make for some interesting RP scenarios though! I'll look into it.

Edit: Tiny edit to the part on Auristics, for clarification.
Last edited by Aleron Mangrove on May 25th, 2013, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aleron Mangrove
Player

Words: 25359
Joined roleplay: May 22nd, 2013, 12:18 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Gossamer on May 25th, 2013, 12:10 am

Its interesting that you can tell new from veteran players considering starting creation dates on pcs don't tell you length of time on the game just length of time on that PC.

I have more to say but I will wait until I'm not on my phone.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Previous