Improve Mizahar's Lore - Can You Do It Better? Prove It.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Feel free to post all your Mizahar related discussions here.

Postby Inayl on June 20th, 2013, 4:44 pm

Gossamer wrote:Can you guys highlight your changes in other colors? I'm having trouble, other than seeing a few rephrasings that doesn't really alter what the original says.

Inayl are you suggesting, in your case, that we require an NPC submission format? I've never done this before. People always submit NPCS various different ways, which I dont' mind, so long as they include the things we require them too.

Not really 'require' ... but it would be helpful if one was ready and available for use, to make sure you include all the required... as it can be very easy to overlook/misinterpret something in the midst of creating NPC-requests, which then results in 'unneccesary' error-correcting posts... as was the case with my request :(

In the end most of these templates are already available somewhere on the forum and hence already made, but it's often very troublesome to find them... especially if you didn't know they existed :)
Inayl
Player

Words: 21154
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2013, 11:16 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Gossamer on June 20th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Again, can you highlight in a different color what you want added or changed?
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Inayl on June 20th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Oops, sorry!

CHANGED

( Changed order; first this paragraph then the next)

1) The Two Types Of NPCs And Their Rules

The first type of NPC is the Stationary NPC who has a link to the PC, but remains at the same location and are generally unchanging. Classic examples: the family living at home or employees in a PC's business. The defining trait of these NPCs is that they don't move from their location or do anything special. They don't follow the PC around except in special RPed events. They adhere to the following rules:

No limit to numbers;
No transfer of income, possessions or skills to the PC (DS approval and possibly moderation required for this)
Up to 50 skill points and no special notability within the city (again, DS approval required for more)
Unchanging - meaning can't be trained up or skills expanded upon.
Must be added to the PC's storyteller's secret thread.

The second type of NPC is the Traveling Companion who follows the PC around at will. Classic examples are: children, kelvic bondmates, and slaves. They just adhere to the following rules:

Must be requested at the Help Desk to be available at the start.
Up to 30 skill points, no more than 10 in any one skill;
PC must properly justify NPC via an explanation in the help desk.
Founders reserve the right to turn any and all NPCs down
Founders may alter main pc's starting package to balance out the presence of NPCs by giving PC less starting money or less skills at creation in order to approve NPC.
Must be added to the PC's storyteller's secret thread.

2) How to Acquire an NPC

NPCs can be acquired at character creation (via a Help Desk request) or through actual game play in which an NPC is hired or otherwise acquired in a thread overseen by a Storyteller. The NPC must then be added to the characters Storyteller Secrets by the storyteller who awards it.

When creating your Help Desk request, keep in mind that the application for Stationary VS. Travelling Companion NPCs is slightly different. <---- Added

(Both templates added as well)

Example Stationary NPC request:

Name: NPC's full name here.
NPC Type: Stationary
Race & Gender: NPC's race and gender here.
Relation to PC: Family member? Childhood friend? Ex-lover? Employee?
Skills: List skills that this NPC has (with skill points totalling no more than 50EXP). These skills often indicate what sort of interests or profession they have. For example, a doctor may have:

Medicine (30 EXP)
Herbalism (15 EXP)
Storytelling (5 EXP)

Other: If your NPC has a gnosis mark (ex. Konti), please include this here. Anything else you think is important to add should be written here.

Example Travelling NPC request:

NPC Type: Travelling Companion
Relation to PC: Child? Slave? Kelvic Bondmate?
Skills: List skills that this NPC has (with skill points totalling no more than 30EXP, and no more than 10EXP in each skill). These skills often indicate what sort of interests or profession they have. For example, a mischievous child may have:

Larceny (10 EXP)
Acrobatics (10 EXP)
Storytelling (5 EXP)
Brawling (5 EXP)

Justification: Travelling Companion NPCs require justification for their acquisition. Why are they important for your PC's development/storyline? What role do they play in your PC's life?
Other: If your NPC has a gnosis mark (ex. Konti), please include this here. Anything else you think is important to add should be written here.

--------------------------------------------------

So...
1) Change order of those 2 paragraphs
2) Add at the end of the second paragrap
When creating your Help Desk request, keep in mind that the application for Stationary VS. Travelling Companion NPCs is slightly different.
3) Add both templates after 2)

Example Stationary NPC request:

NPC Type: Stationary
Relation to PC: Family member? Childhood friend? Ex-lover? Employee?
Skills: List skills that this NPC has (with skill points totalling no more than 50EXP). These skills often indicate what sort of interests or profession they have. For example, a doctor may have:

Medicine (30 EXP)
Herbalism (15 EXP)
Storytelling (5 EXP)

Example Travelling NPC request:

NPC Type: Travelling Companion
Relation to PC: Child? Slave? Kelvic Bondmate?
Skills: List skills that this NPC has (with skill points totalling no more than 30EXP, and no more than 10EXP in each skill). These skills often indicate what sort of interests or profession they have. For example, a mischievous child may have:

Larceny (10 EXP)
Acrobatics (10 EXP)
Storytelling (5 EXP)
Brawling (5 EXP)

Justification: Travelling Companion NPCs require justification for their acquisition. Why are they important for your PC's development/storyline? What role do they play in your PC's life?

----------------------------------------

... Original page contains too much underlines and 'special' codes for me to fully copy...
Did the best I could :( ... If this isn't enough, feel free to ignore my suggestion, unless someone else with more computer skills, manages to provide a better view of what could be changed.
Inayl
Player

Words: 21154
Joined roleplay: June 17th, 2013, 11:16 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tallis on June 20th, 2013, 7:25 pm

I edited my previous post to show the additions and revisions I made. I'd also like to quickly add this rewrite in from the Teaching Skill page:

It's just the last sentence in the final description of master level teaching:

Master (76-100)
Almost nothing will distract or break the student-teacher bond. The subject matter is covered so effectively students may have trouble not glossing over the details of the instruction in their sleep. Other teachers may approach the master teacher with requests for advice and instruction on how to improve their teaching ability. The master teacher generally anticipates any questions any student may or may not have, and often addresses them just before a studious hand is raised. The influence of a master teacher could potentially be profound, possibly creating new ways of performing or thinking about instructed material. The limit on number of skills or lore taught within a thread is at the discretion of the master teacher; as is the relatability of the material. The master teacher can instruct on whatever, however he/she deems best. Teaching at this level is almost always done with renowned eloquence and ease. Students instructed by a master teacher may learn without much more effort than listening quietly; as such, a character learning from a Master Teacher can earn a maximum of 6 Skill Points instead of the usual maximum of 5 Skill Points. They also have no problem teaching those who have difficulty learning, and are often the only ones who can teach abstract or academic concepts to Kelvics or the learning disabled.

I would have the last bit tweaked to say: Students instructed by a master teacher may find themselves inspired to learn about subjects they previously found boring. Students find themselves learning without much more effort than listening quietly; as such, a character learning from a Master Teacher can earn a maximum of 6 Skill Points instead of the usual maximum of 5 Skill Points. They also have no problem teaching those who have difficulty learning and are often the only ones who can teach abstract or academic concepts to the Kelvics or the learning disabled.

The line on inspiration makes it clearer that a master teacher could even teach young children (and young kelvics) who would usually find learning to be boring and uninteresting. Also, Kelvics were removed from being grouped together with the learning disabled as mature and bonded Kelvics have no trouble learning abstract and academic concepts.
Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Matthew on June 28th, 2013, 7:04 pm

This is a very minor revision, and more Quality of Life than anything else. If you glance at the Syliras entry in the Lore, as well as a few other cities, you will notice a handy little note at the top.

However, this note is not universal among the major cities found in the City List. I only noticed because I was reading Lhavit, scrolled up to the top to use the link to go check out the forum, and it wasn't there. There are also a few other places that don't have it. This is obviously a minor detail, but I thought it might be useful for improving navigation. The other cities are listed below, though I may have missed one or two.

Secret :
Nyka
Sunberth
Sultros
Lhavit
Alvadas
Zinrah
Black Rock
Matthew
Malfunctioning

Words: 1100152
Joined roleplay: June 24th, 2013, 9:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Guest Storyteller (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Viridae Kabre on October 1st, 2013, 9:07 am

I need a list of flora and fauna in the unforgiving.
Viridae Kabre
Hunter

Words: 96195
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2013, 9:51 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Harrier on October 1st, 2013, 2:57 pm

Viridae:

What specifically are you looking for? The current Bestiary for Kalea is a WIP that I'm working on.
x

(c) Phoenix
Harrier
Harrier than you

Words: 365904
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Journal

Postby Viridae Kabre on October 1st, 2013, 4:17 pm

Specifically bird species. And trees. And fish.
Viridae Kabre
Hunter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Gossamer on October 1st, 2013, 5:09 pm

Don't you think that it's a very unrealistic and outrageous request? This is not a REQUEST thread anyhow. There are millions of species of plants and animals in the Unforgiven. Inventing and listing then all would take someone years.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Viridae Kabre on October 1st, 2013, 5:46 pm

Perhaps just the more....I'm not sure...Distinct species? For example, I had a hunting thread going not to long ago, and I had several bears fishing out of a wide river, but I was not sure if there are Salmon in the region, so I just said they were catching fish. Or I'm not sure if there are spruce trees, so when my PC sets up camp, he simply sets up near a pine tree.

Certain regions of the world are distinctly known for having species of plants and animals, like how its common knowledge that there are lions in Africa, and kangaroos in Australia. It'd just be nice to have some of that more common knowledge on hand somewhere. Also, I have terrible memory, so I'm not sure if this is true, but I have heard some regions have monstrous creatures unique to Mizahar? if that's the case, what are they? It would just be a useful reference is all.
Viridae Kabre
Hunter

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext