[AMELIA'S SCRAPS]A twisted wonderland

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Amelia Cross on June 22nd, 2013, 6:02 pm

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

This one didn’t have me thinking, it toke me just a second to read the question and I had the book in my mind.

Raudupiete…amongst other of his works

The book is by an Latvian Author, R.Blauman. His works touch the time period of his life, and strongly reflect the problems of our time. I can’t really come to speak of his works in ‘general’ terms, as they are deep [to a level where even I end up analyzing it, just for the fun of it]and it would take me no less than a few 1000 words to explain even his shorter works.
I’m quite sure you can’t find his works in English, but if you happen to be Russian, you should take the advantage of it and try to find it in your nearest library…if in Russian that is :D
Amelia Cross
I Have More Than One Mask

Words: 519985
Joined roleplay: November 14th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Amelia Cross on June 23rd, 2013, 7:05 pm

Day 07 – Most underrated book

I wasn’t sure how to approach the question, as the book market is highly different here than it is in other places, not even comparable with the world market. SO, |I decided to choose a book that is underrated here…

The Woman In Black

I’m not sure how this book is liked or disliked in the whole world market, or even in closer countries, but here in Latvia…the chances are 9 out of 10 people have no clue about it at all. Even the movie seems to be so highly unpopular or unknown, that even the movie is unheard of by most…that’s how underrated it is here…

As for my own thoughts of it, I wouldn’t say that I recommend it to everyone, but if you have the time…check it out, it’s a thrilling book that probably will have you hooked…probably, not 100% sure though…my taste in books is funny ._.”

“A man may be accused of cowardice for fleeing away from all manner of physical dangers but when things supernatural,
      insubstantial and inexplicable threaten not only his safety and well-being but his sanity, his innermost soul,
        then retreat is not a sign of weakness but the most prudent course.”
Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Amelia Cross on June 24th, 2013, 12:33 pm

Day 08 – Most overrated book

first, to set thing straight, I do not find ‘bad but popular’ to be overrated, I have my own thoughts about it…

A book can be overrated even if you like it yourself. For a moment, I wanted to put down Harry Potter. Since, let’s face it, even though I’m a fan myself, the book is highly overrated and even used as a reference to modern day literature. But then I thought, it would be kind of dumb to use it, as it has sort of left the spotlight and only the fan base really is interested anymore. The next on the cutting table were Twilight saga, 50 shades of grey, the Vampire diaries and The hunger games…Game of thrones, the diaries of Bridged jones, Memories of a Geisha, Water for the Elephants, True Blood…and the list goes on and on…

I’m not saying I dislike the books mentioned, heck, some of them I really like and couldn’t care less about the fact what others think. BUT….the books have been accused by hatters and popularized by fans for years. I think those are just the books, that by now, you have to love or hate…and yes, in my eyes it means the book is overrated. I find a book to be overrated when even the people who don’t read have heard of it and know it’s plot..when it is used as a common reference for things and people. I can’t help to think that sails amounts of a book aren’t what defines it’s ‘overrating-nesss’ or how good or bad it is…It’s about what an impact it has left…

So, despite me thinking that some of the books I hate as much as the next person, or love more than some fans…are highly overrated…

…so for me…the most overrated book would be *I’m going to get slaughtered*…

Romeo and Juliet

If someone is reading, I’m sure there is a voice in him, big or small, saying that I am a complete idiot for thinking like this. But really, have you ever paid attention to the countless references to the book and characters? How it has been made into countless cartoons and movies, games and comics based on the plot of the forbidden love?

If you ask me, this book is overrated. I still like it, not as much as other works by W. Shakespeare but I do enjoy it and find the language to be beautiful.

It doesn’t fit with the themes of the 21st century, it’s probably a reason so many people now don’t seem to find it appealing, but…it’s a good…overrated book…

“Did my heart love till now?
      forswear it, sight!
        For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night.”
Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Amelia Cross on June 25th, 2013, 3:28 pm

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

This doesn’t happen often. So I had to take some time in figuring out, what was the last book that left this kind of mindset on me. And I realized, it hadn’t happened. No book I have ever though that I wouldn’t like, has never ever turned out to be loved by me. BUT they have ended up better than I expected/I sort of liked it/them. So here is one of those examples:

evermore

So, from the critic I have heard and the overall bad impression on the series and the first novel in general. I thought my eyes are going to bleed while reading, but, one friend who was a fan actually told me I will like it. She knew I dislike teen romance involving vampires and werewolves. So, yea, just because The Immortals series don’t have them, I ended up liking the book. Still, I didn’t end up .liking it enough to read the whole series.

But, I still think it deserves more credit, it’s not bad, just not quite my taste.

“Though I have to admit,
      I had a good laugh when
        I realized you thought I was a bloodsucker."
Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Philomena on June 25th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Blaumanis looks like he had a collection of short works published in English in 1950: http://www.amazon.com/In-Lap-Happiness-Rudolf-Blaumanis/dp/B001RMCLEI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372174676&sr=8-3&keywords=blaumanis

Not sure if these are ones you recommend? And of course, its sadly out of print, so likely difficult to find :/
Philomena
Player

Words: 718931
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2012, 3:40 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Philomena on June 25th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Oh, and fist-bump for the Devil's Dictionary. Highly underrated book. :D
Philomena
Player

Words: 718931
Joined roleplay: December 29th, 2012, 3:40 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Amelia Cross on June 25th, 2013, 3:58 pm

OH MY!
I have never really tried to find the novels of R.Blaumanis in English, I just knew they were available in Russian [what makes sense]. And I must say, I am really happy to see that it's available in English! Thanks for letting me know!

And yep, The Devil's Dictionary deserves more love! :)
Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Sosicly Magnolia on June 26th, 2013, 10:09 pm

Just popped in to say, I love you 30 day challenge and I've some of them I had never read and I did now and they were all brilliant :D
Sosicly Magnolia
Silence is Open to Misconception

Words: 175085
Joined roleplay: January 13th, 2013, 4:37 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Amelia Cross on June 27th, 2013, 9:06 am

yay! People like this tag! ;)
I’m so happy to know that I have introduced some new books to you! :)

[ Day 10 – Favorite classic book]

So, this was a no thinker.
Dracula

By far, my favorite classical book. Long ago, Frankenstein also rivaled the spot, but for some reason, I always come back to Dracula. To me, this is the best romance. I love the way vampires are shown, I love the language and the form of writing. I love…everything about this book!

“Once again...
      welcome to my house.
        Come freely.
          Go safely;
            and leave something of the happiness you bring.”

SORRY! I ended up missing another day due to me being low on time. Now I’m in a rush to visit my doctor. My health is getting bad again, stupid heart ._.
So yea, I will try to catch up with bout my threads and the next question of this, once I get back home.

Take care,
~Sabine
Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

Postby Amelia Cross on June 27th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Day 11 – A book you hated

Well, I never really classify books as hated, I usually either dislike them, or appreciate the fact other people like them and my taste is different, I mean, if someone gets published, at least 1 person likes their work. BUT

Fallen

I still believe that I do not hate the book/series. But this is probably the only book I know of, that I would not ever recommend reading. While other books I dislike I might be like “Oh, I didn’t like it, but it has a lot of [insert something here] that you might like, its called [name here]” well…it would never happen with Fallen. And here, I can't even give you a constructive critic about it...because I can't even understand what I don't like about it...I just know I don't ._.
Please, if someone also dislikes this book, let me know what are your reasons behind it, maybe I'll finally realize my own D:

No fancy quotes for this one...
Amelia Cross

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1)

PreviousNext