Carry On My Wayward Daughter (Fallon)

Rengar finds a child that needs parenting.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Home of the Konti people, this ivory city is built of native konti stone half in and half out of the sea. Its borders touch the Silverwood, and stretch upwards towards Silver Lake, home of the infamous konti vision water. [Lore]

Postby Rengar on March 25th, 2013, 7:15 pm

Timestamp: Winter 10, 504 AV

Rengar looked down at his two daughters, Nylenar, who just turned thirteen, and Gyrya, ten, blonde bundles of energy. They were getting so big, not quite women, but no longer children either. Their mother had already started training them in the ways of suvai and the history and culture of the Konti, but now it was time to learn the ways of their father as well. He'd spent the morning carving them wooden training weapons, as well as a staff for himself. He'd made sure to measure them to the girls arms, and then wrapped the grips in leather. The two girls were still sleeping, for dawn was just beginning to break. He bent down, kissing each on the forehead, whispering their names in their respective ears, loving how their hands scrubbed the sleepiness from their eyes. Nylenar whispered, "What's going on papa?"

"I have presents for you both, but you need to wake up and get dressed, for we have a fun day ahead of us. Now get up Lena, you too Rya."

Ah come on brother, let Rya sleep in, she's still young.

Rengar smiled, Garren always wanted to spoil little Gyrya, for she was his daughter. Yes, both daughters were theirs, but Rengar sired Nylenar, and Garren sired Gyrya. As the daughters slowly got up, Rengar heard soft, gentle footsteps approach him from behind. Without turning, "Hello Nyla." He felt small arms wrap around his waist, her soft body pressing against his hard back, a single kiss placed upon his back. "Hello my loves. Already taking them from me darlings?"

"Only for a little while, they need my teachings just as much as yours."

"I know, but let me give them breakfast before their first day of 'school' okay? Go ahead and give them their gifts, maybe they will want to decorate them."

Garren chuckled inwardly, "Keep laughing Garren, I know you are," which silenced the brother immediately. She was always able to tell the brothers apart and what each was thinking, and it was no magical power. It was just how well she knew them. The girls were up and dressed, Rengar pleased to see that they were both beautiful and strong, as strong as a Konti could look without diminishing their divine beauty. He held out their wooden axes, smoothed and decently balanced, handing the slightly longer one to Nylenar, and the shorter to Gyrya. "Spend a couple of bells, eat breakfast, adorn your weapons, then meet me outside."

He turned to leave, Nyla pulling him down into what he called the double tap, a kiss for each brother. He ruffled her hair, as the girls squealed as they wielded their gifts, arguing about the best way to make them pretty. He grabbed a log on his way out, and his carving kit, and stepped into the humid morning air, Syna just beginning to kiss the sky. He walked over to a clearing near their cottage, sat upon a large rock, and pulled out his carving knife. He studied the log, seeing that the bark was an extremely thin, and white. He would not be able to peel it off with his fingers like he did many other woods. He took the knife, a cut a little notch into the wood, then worked the blade just beneath the bark from there. The bark shredded like paper, so he decided that he'd have to remove the outer ring of wood with it. It was wasteful, but the shavings would at least make good tinder. While his hands and knife worked, going off of the feeling of the wood, and not what he saw, he began looking around the area, watching as Mura began to awaken for its day.
Rengar
The Purple Lumberjackalak

Words: 80815
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2013, 6:55 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallon on March 25th, 2013, 8:23 pm

It was now day three of Fallon’s time in Mura. The third day of what seemed to the young, child Fallon to be a very long time. At this moment in time she was nowhere near that of her mature self, far from a calm nature that she would be later on in life, far from the intelligent and potentially witty ego that controlled her. It would be wrong to say she was wild in nature, or violent, but she still had her moments of being temperamental, almost like a single spark that would suddenly burst into flames before quickly being snuffed out. It was the stage of finding a sense of self-identity and the growing of independence.

Whilst on the island of Mura, Fallon had been given free rein to do as she wished on two conditions. The first that she did not leave the island under any circumstances. The second that she did not share her knowledge of projection with anyone. Although young at the time, she had proven herself to be intelligent enough to begin the process of training her in it not just in theory, but also in practice. Only when her mentor had free time though. Her mentor after all had things that needed doing, and having a child following him around would no doubt prove distracting. On the first day, she seemed lost, almost upset with the ideal. On the second day she wandered around the lodgings feeling lost and without focus. On the third day however, she had set herself out of the room to finally go and explore, with the small treasure given to her. Her glass ball.

To begin with she simply wandered the paths of Mura, or as much as she could without getting in the water, and gave the occasional small nod out of respect to the other early morning risers. Until a few days ago Fallon had never heard of the Konti race and at first thought them as human. Or that was before the small details were picked out, the scales being the most noticeable of them all. If it was not for that, Fallon would of just presumed them to beautiful women and little more. She turned on her heel briefly to look at a pair, before continuing on her way, her eyes slightly wide with awe. Mura was indeed an exotic and fascinating place in the mind of the young girl, and the further she wandered the more that became clear.

Dipping beneath the shadow of a tree, she paused and looked up to the breaking sky, looking at the streams of colours that filled it. Even in the beginning of the cool winter it was a sight to look upon. And upwards she continued to look, fascination taking hold of her and leading her on until she noticed something odd. Or more particularly, something purple that worked with the wood with tools. Fallon froze and stared at the creature, eyes wide with wonder, and her body having grown tense with surprise. She swallowed, and continued to stare, unable to bring herself to move from the point she was at. She stood there for a good chime or so, before her head suddenly turning to either side as if searching for a place to duck behind out of sight.
Quick! Quick! Before it sees me!
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Rengar on March 27th, 2013, 1:55 am

Rengar's hands continued to whittle the bark off of the log, when he got the feeling that he was being watched. It wasn't unusual on this isle, there were so many more women than men, they often stared. His infravision flicked on and he scanned the area, and spotted a young child beneath a tree. Flicking it off, he could just barely make her out in the shade. She looked to be trying to hide, to run, while spying on him. He chuckled, then yelled out, "You there, under the tree. You don't have to hide, why don't you come here, I don't bite."

He wasn't going to pressure her, children, especially girls, didn't usually respond well to that. So he looked down at his log, as he finished removing the bark. He hadn't thought of what he was going to make out of it, but he had an idea. "I'll make you a present if you come here, my wife and daughters will be along shortly as well, and would love to meet you." He decided to make her a weapon if she came over, just as he'd done for his daughters. He decided to try for a very short type of sword. He started on one side shaving chips away in the wood, biting about an inch deep into the wood. Slice, flick, slice, flick as shavings fell to the grass. He figured it may have to have a curved or bent blade, for the log wasn't perfectly straight. He continued this until an area about four inches from the bottom of the log was carved flat into the log, extending up to where the log bent. He paused a moment, trying to decide how to continue, while looking up to see if the girl had taken his offer.
Rengar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallon on March 27th, 2013, 7:06 pm

Fallon retreated behind a tree for a moment, before peering out at the purple creature. For a moment there was silence, before the loud voice of the man called out. She flinched back, a moment of hesitation as she dipped out of sight once more. She stayed there, hidden, her mind racing on what to say, on how to the approach the situation. Or that was at least until he spoke again. She came out of her hiding spot, and lingered by the tree for a while, carefully analysing him as he worked.

The girl straightened herself, taking slow steps over, before remaining a distance away. She had been told not to immediately trust strangers, even when they offered things. But this man – she presumed – had indeed grabbed her curiosity and fascination. If not by his colour, then what he was doing. She watched the wood be cut down and shaped, narrowed into a handle, before she watched his head turn up to face her once more. She went rigid for a moment, her shoulders hunching in. Her fist clenched, a defensive self coming out as she made herself remain where she was. Curiosity after all had gotten the better of her.

“Umm… mister…” she made herself speak “Why are you purple?”
It would be safe to say Fallon had never seen an Akalak before, let alone hear of this giant race males. It was alien to her, and something new she had to learn. This strange beast she would have otherwise classed as dream, for although perhaps later on in life she would become more knowledgeable of the races that walked the lands, right now she only knew of a handful, and those were the more human looking ones. She took another step closer, leaning slightly towards him as her eyes went down to his work.
FALLON

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Rengar on April 1st, 2013, 8:47 pm

Rengar watched as the little girl came closer and closer, like a dog nearing food that seemed to easy to capture. She was distrusting, probably a valuable trait in this world. One used caution in everything, from preparing a meal for children to hunting down a Glassbeak. He saw her demeanor, rigid, defensive, careful, but her curiosity overrode it all. Then she asked a question that many children in foreign lands, and it made him laugh every time.

"Why are you purple?"

He and Garren made an innocent promise so many years ago, to never tell the same reasoning twice. He laughed aloud, and continued to shave down the side beyond the curve, making sure to angle both sides from the center, to mimic a blade. As she approached, "My people are from a land very far way, far to the south from here. And in this distant land, we grow many crops. The most abundant and important of these crops are our grapes. We have grapes that come in many shades, and sizes." He loved to add a lot of embellishment to his stories, children typically loved this. He'd finished shaving away at the outside of the curve, and was now making the inside. His knife whittled and whittled, the log becoming skinnier, narrower.

He continued, "And we eat these grapes shortly after birth. And the juice from these grapes makes us purple, or blue, or red, or green. For some reason only the gods know, this doesn't affect those who are not my people, whom we call the Akalak. There was one crazy fellow who thought that the grapes are fed by the gems that are rich in our lands. Rubies, emeralds, sapphires, amethysts, and these gems are why we are what are."

He held up the carving he'd been working on, it was a little rough. "Come here, let me see how large your hand is." He flipped over the wooden weapon, so that he was holding the 'blade' and the handle was pointed at the girl. He though he'd made the handle narrow enough, but one could never be sure. "Our warriors, especially those who follow Akajia, love these sort of blades, which they call a Kris. And this one, is now yours little one."

He heard loud, girly giggles approaching, as well as the clacking of wood on wood, and knew it to be his daughters approaching. He turned to look, and saw the girls chasing each other toward him, with Nyla following gracefully behind, a gentle smile on her face. Rengar turned to the new little girl, "These are my daughters, the older being Nylenar, the younger being Gyrya, and this is my wife Nyla. And we are training today, would you like to join us? It will be very fun. Besides, you'll want to try out your gift."
Rengar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallon on April 3rd, 2013, 11:28 pm

She watched the man laugh before answering to her question, remaining silent as the words ran of his tongue. A story or truth she had yet to decide as her focus was set upon what was being said, along with the movement of the blade against the wood. She heard the sound of scraping and chipping, a low hum that existed beneath it all. The distance was closed slightly more, but there she stood ever wary and ever watching. He was a stranger, and although Fallon may have not always had the guidance of another, she knew well enough to not trust strangers. Or straight away at least.

“Really?” she questioned him “It doesn’t seem…”
She raised an eyebrow, a moment of thought filling her face. Her arms folded and her shoulders straightened out. For a moment her lips pursed together, a strong frown forming. She could hardly tell if it was the truth or not, her mind trying to work through what could have been myth or fact. Her eyes narrowed at the purple man as he continued to speak, this time about weapons and how it was favoured. Her attention was snapped again towards him, and to the weapon handle that was presented to her. She was sheepish for a moment, hesitation taking her before she carefully reached out and held the handle with care. Gift or not, Fallon was still a bit sceptical.

“A Kris?” she questioned the word before turning her eyes down to the blade “I see…”
She felt the rough wood against her hand, the chips where it had been carved in place. Her head turned sharply to the sound of clacking filling the air. She released the hilt and drew away sharply as the Konti approached, cutting herself off from the interaction of others. She stared at their faces and movements, watching them play among themselves and be free spirited in nature.

“Umm… Fallon… that’s my name,” she spoke in a low voice as her feet shuffled on the ground. She had to respond to the invitation somehow, and although curiosity had now grabbed her, her mind resisted. She did not want to intrude, nor was they anything to do with her. They were simply people she was observing, nothing more, nothing less. They were however friendly enough, and to pass on such an opportunity would be a waste “If it’s okay to join you… I’d like to.”
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Rengar on April 20th, 2013, 10:44 pm

"It's my pleasure to meet you Fallon, now take your weapon up, and you may call me Rengar, or Garren, I answer to both." Rengar stood up, towering over the three little girls and his wife, and he grabbed the staff he'd carved earlier, that Nyla had brought for him. He looked over at his two daughters, "Go stand by Fallon, she's joining us today. Let me see how you decorated your weapons, and Fallon, when we are done with our training, we will look into decorating yours if you'd like." He first studied Nylenar's who had seashells stuck to the wood with sap, then Gyrya's who had stars and moons carved into the wood itself. "Very nice girls," he handed the axes back, handles first, then as they grabbed them he commanded, "Stop. Remember how you are holding your axes now, for this is the proper grip when using them in combat. We call it the southern grip."

"Now, I will not be teaching you the brutal, blunt method of attacking that they teach those heavy handed fool Knights in Syliras. Combat should be equal parts fierce and grace. It is very akin to dancing. Now, since Nyla has taught you two the basics of fighting with Suvai, I want you to go practice dancing with your weapons, while your mother keeps the beat with a song. I will work with Fallon for a little bit, and then she will join you."

He crouched down in front of the little girl, motioning for her to hold out her weapon and hands. "Now, since you are using a Kris, you'll want to use a northern grip. It's similar to shaking hands with someone. With a kris, you need to have two important qualities, and that is speed and patience. Because you have to get close to use a kris, you must watch, and wait for an opening, and be quick enough to take advantage of it. Now, I want you to point out on my body where a good place to attack with a kris would be."

He stood up, moving his staff to rest upon his shoulders, while looking down on her with a jovial smile upon his face. "Keep in mind that while you can slash with a kris, it is much more effective as a stabbing tool." He stood there, waiting on the girl to pick out her targets, then continued, "Now, I'm going to move in an attacking fashion, but I will not strike you. I want you to say 'Now', when you think any of those areas you pointed at are open to attack."

He brought his staff out before him, then moving slowly, so she could learn rather than be startled, he swung the bottom of the staff toward her head. Then he kept the momentum up, slowing turning the staff into a spin, before punching forward with the tip. He continued to dance a slow waltz around her, ensuring there to be many openings for her to seize, watching her eyes watch him.
Rengar

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Fallon on April 22nd, 2013, 12:54 pm

Fallon watched the giant, purple Akalak instruct his daughters. Strong words and a lot of meaning were behind them, before he focused his attention onto Fallon. She gave a blink as she looked down at the wooden Kris, her eyes studying it with care. She had once or twice before, played with her mentor’s Kukri, an unusual dagger by any means, but one that she knew was sharp and deadly. She gave a frown, her hand wiggling up the shaft of the Kris before she found a comfortable grip with it. The girl scratched her head at the instruction Rengar had given her, her lips pursing together with thought over the two names. Or at least until she suddenly announced,
“Garren is an anagram of Rengar isn’t it?” She blinked at him and then remembered what was going on.

This was training, she could not allow herself to be distracted currently. She studied his form, her head moving as she looked him up and down. She cocked an eyebrow before pointing with the tip of the Kris at his stomach.
“If you stab there… it would hurt,” she spoke clearly before withdrawing it and turning her eyes up to locations that were high above her reach “And there’s places where skin is soft right? The under arms and…” She looked lower and towards his legs. She gave a thoughtful hum, before his next lot instructions came.

Slow gentle swings, careful movements as he worked his way round. She followed him, turning on the spot and jerking back when the staff tip came close. She felt her grip change, slightly her shoulders hunching in as she made herself as small as possible. She remembered the few bits of training her mentor had given her about fighting, and tried to put them into action. Steady footing, a defensive stance, being able to be as quick moving as possible. It would all give an advantage in battle. She watched the staff spin, her eyes following it. She became mesmerised by the movement, but as she did he stance changed too. She felt the back of her free hand rest upon the pommel of the wooden Kris, the hilt rotating round so the main blade came out from the softer edge of her grip. It may have been different to as the Akalak previously instructed her, but to her at least it seemed right. It made her smaller, it solidified defence – or to her it did – and as the pole came racing forward with a thrust once more, the girl reacted.

“Now,” she said as she stepped into the swing, not waiting for the pole to be drawn back. She stepped to the side of it, her body turning so she ran parallel with the staff before placing a gentle tap on the bicep of the Akalak. She gave a blink at him, and then with the tip of the Kris traced the path up from the bicep and across the torso. There was a moment of thought upon her face, followed by the mixture of worry that she had done something wrong “Umm… did I do that right?”
FALLON

Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Traverse on June 27th, 2013, 11:36 am

Fallon

Skill XP Earned
Kris 1 XP
Observation 3 XP
Rhetoric1 XP

Lores Earned
Konti: Scaled Women
Akalaks: Grape Fed Men
Garren is Rengar
Stabbing with a Kris

Additional Notes :
A shame this thread only got to its infancy as it was going some fun places! I really enjoyed Fallon's quick eye and the pre-cursor illustration of the differences between little and older Fallon, with a bit of history mixed in.

Yes, I Bite.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please send me a PM and we can figure it out. :)
Traverse
Journey to your limits

Words: 1283282
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2012, 4:16 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)