Location [Syliras Location] All Things Leather

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] All Things Leather

Postby Gossamer on September 20th, 2009, 9:05 am

Finding the "All Things Leather" shop was not a difficult task. One simply had to follow their nose. The tanning of leather was a horribly smelly process when one only used boiled brains to cure. But when one used human urine to bleach and a myrid of other equally noxious ingredients in great vats, the smell could be overwhelming. This was especially true on specific days - dye days. For this very reason, All Things Leather was located out in the main gatewall in the northern corner of the city. It owned a large chunk of outdoor real estate too that consisted of large ground level vats filled with various colored liquid that were easily twice or three times the size of a standard barrel. All things leather did much of their work themselves. In fact, it was a point of pride to the Myrian owner that it was so.

And because the stock was valuable and the owner was a Myrian, it was perhaps the only reason everyone in Syliras knew that giant tigers existed. One frequently took sun out on All Things Leather's front porch, intimidating visitors and keeping away the thieves.

Inside was an enormous four square building that was divided into living quarters on top and four main showrooms below. One showroom featured simply leathers, tools, and leatherworking supplies. The other three rooms housed clothing, shoes, weapons sheathed, and animal harnesses. The big Myrian owner was normally on the porch as well, sitting in the sun in his rocker (even though he was in his thirties), or standing behind the counter willing to help. It was rare that he was actually behind the businesses dying or working leather. If he was working on tooling something, he'd normally have the smaller individual pieces - such as a saddle skirt - already in his hands. Nabinu is almost always friendly to the point of being jolly and will greet even total strangers like long lost friends.

Price List :
Containers

Money Belt - 20 Crowns
Purse – 3 SM
Backpack
…Large 12 - SM
…Frame 2 - GM
Belt Pouch – 10 SM
Clothing

Apron 3 - SM
Girdles –5 - CM
Belt 2 - SM
Gloves
…Womens 5 SM
…Mens 8 SM
…Falconers Glove 1 GM
Loincloth – 3 CM
Suspenders – 8 CM
Tabard – 5 SM
Footwear

Boots
…High 5 SM
…Low 3 SM
…Riding 1 GM
Dancing 15 GM
Sandals 2 SM
Slippers 1 SM
Mount Related

Saddles
…Fancy Horse 10 GM
…Fancy Elephant 40 GM
…Fancy Tiger 25 GM
…Fancy Barding 5 GM
…Fancy Military 20 GM
Saddle Bags
… Large 8 GM
…Small 4 GM
Miscellaneous

Leatherworking Kits - 10 GM
  • Set of 26 letter punches
  • 20 design stamps
  • Small Hammer
  • Wooden Wedge

Sheaths For Weapons
…Small 2 SM
…Large 2 GM

Whips
…Riding Crop 12 SM
…Bull 23 SM

*Repair Available - Inquire
*Classes Available - Inquire

NPC :

A definite import from Falyndar, Nabinu is a large Myrian male with an entire back covered with tattoos. Having learned his leather arts from deep in the jungle, Nabinu migrated to Syliras on a whim and has not quite decided to leave yet. He's an easy going fellow of around thirty, who has deeply bronzed skin and dark ringlets of dreadlocks that run down his back. Nabinu has dark eyes and is always quick with a smile or story. He usually roams about his work with a smile on his face.

Gnosis Marks
Myri - 1 Mark

Skill LIst
Tanning: 65 pts, Leather Tooling: 55 pts, Saddlemaking: 78 pts, Accessory Design: 30 pts, Spear: 25 pts.

This location is moderated by Archon and Chevalier
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: [Syliras Location] All Things Leather

Postby KanzoraSehol on September 29th, 2009, 9:04 pm

Timestamp: 29 Fall 509AV
Tuesday, it was Tuesday. Kanzora awoke with the thought. He lay in his bed, covers scrambled all across the bed, the remnents of a bad dream. He couldn't quite recall what the dream was about, something to do with getting cursed by the very god he worshipped. The details were blurry, but he knew anything that had to do with being cursed by Siku had to have been bad. Luckily, it was a dream, nothing was wrong in reality. He had gone to rest in his human form, it was only the second time he had done so, and it was quite a hastle. Sleeping as a snake was so much easier, but he figured it'd be best to stay in human form as much as possible since he had just learned how to change into it.

Taking a step out of bed, Kanzora stretched a huge stretch, taking in every moment of his arms, legs, body, everything human. It was all so new, and easier! Things were easily picked up, moved. It had been so much harder for him to learn with no one to teach him, especially since he was alone, no other snakemen like him, he didn't even know his race's name. He had grown used to being alone, but didn't like it much. After the wipe or his mind, he didn't even know he was anything more then the average snake. It came as a complete suprise when he unwillingly turned into half of a human. It was then he realized that he had heard something of the race he himself must have been. He couldn't quite recall the name, but that was something for another day.

Kanzora took a few moments to brush his teeth, something that was very odd for him, he wasn't sure why he was supposed to, but after he hadn't done it for awhile some of the humans started looking at him oddly and even avoiding him, so he decided for the sake of not being an outcast in every day society, he would brush them. When he was done, he stepped outside, going behind his house where noone would see, and shifted back into snake form, a brilliant gold viper, he slithered into the forest, looking for a bite to eat. His sense of smell picked out a small mouse not to far away, but he wasn't very in the mood for one of those, and he was hungry. He slithered quickly and quietly further and further into the woods, picking out so many different things that he could have taken down, but didn't want to waste the effort on, and didn't feel like a battle for his life.

After awhile, Kanzora slithered upon an unsuspecting rabbit, something perfect for what he needed right now. He snuck downwind of it, so it couldn't smell him, and crawled oh so patiently towards it, it happened to be nibbling on some of the last green grass, and looked satisfying and plump. As he got closer, his speed took over. With a quick leap, the snake was on top of it, Kanzora bit down on the back of its neck, releasing some of his deadly poison into the blood stream. The rabbit hopped off quickly, but he knew that it wouldn't live long. He slowly followed the helpless rabbit until it fell down dead. In a few minutes, the rabbit was engulfed, and Kanzoras hunger was satisfyed. Looking around before he did so, Kanzora shifted back to his human form, and began a somewhat long run back to the city of Syliras. He wanted to get a job today.

With his speed, the journey only took about half an hour. Once he arrived to the city, Kanzora made sure his clothes kept all the secrets that he was a snakeman concealed. He wanted his job to go well today, and he didn't want to set off a bad impression, or not get hired simply because of the fact that apparently the rest of his kid were bad people. Kanzora arrived in town, and wasn't sure where to go. He wanted to become a leatherworker, he knew that for sure. It was something he specialized in. He looked around at the signs, but couldn't find anything that sold leather. Could it be that there was none, and he would have to move to another town to find one? Perhaps he could make his own?

The money for that soloution, however, was lacking. Kanzora wasn't the richest of the rich. In fact, he was somewhat poor to be honest. He hadn't gotten a job before, he had always stolen money before, and he had no clue what happened before the wipe. He decided that he wanted to live his life the right way from here on out, and wanted to work for his money. He searched on for about an hour, and started to leave. There was obviously no place for him to work as a leatherworker here, so why bother wasting his time. As he left however, Kanzora noticed that there was a back alleyway he never checked, and decided to give it a try, just because he had nothing to do for the rest of the day. When he walked in, to his glee, there was a leather shop. "All Things Leather" it was called. Kanzora didn't know for sure, but he hoped it was a leather shop with that name. He walked in slowly, looking around.

"Hello, is anyone here? I'm looking for work if any is open." He said in a low voice, bittersweet as it was, he hoped he could at least make a few miza today, even if they were just copper ones.
"When your breath is so shallow, your bones so weak. Your only thoughts are of those to wish its end. Those are the moments you cherrish, the ones you remember."
KanzoraSehol
Player

Words: 7758
Joined roleplay: September 28th, 2009, 3:35 am
Race: Dhani

Postby Gossamer on September 30th, 2009, 9:34 pm

Kanzora

"Aye... I be here today. Can you not tell by the smell, friend?"
A dark man said, rising up behind a counter where he was adding some small stylish miza purses into a glass display. "I be here every day. Sometimes even at night when I have a big order." He said stretching, the task finished, and looking over the counter at Kanzora.

"Work you say? What is it that you know? Anything at all about leather? I have a position open for a counter person, someone to man the store while I am busy, and I am looking for another apprentice or two... always looking, rarely finding. No one wants to work leather when they can work metal. It's a waste, I say. Metal is nice, but leather is something people be needing more and more of - it wears out. Make something out of metal once and it always lasts ifin you take care of it. Not so with leather. Years, true of course... but not forever. So... tell me your skills... what you know... if you can read and write and work numbers... and what you yourself are like. I'd be starting with your name if you could... I'm Nabinu myself."
He said with a smile. His accent was thick, but not unpleasant, and his whole demeanor was open and friendly. "Don't mind the big cat out back, he's like a brother to me." Nabinu referred to the Myrian Tiger that frequented the yard and acted as Nabinu's mount.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby KanzoraSehol on September 30th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Kanzora looked around, about to turn around and leave, apparently noone was in the leather shop anyway, so much for that. He was in the midst of the turn, when a large dark skinned man rose above the counter, startling Kanzora. He let out a faint hiss, but concealed it as it came out, hoping that the man hadn't heard. As he introduced himself, the man reasoned that he had jobs for hire. Kanzoras eyes lit up in joy. He thought about it, and realized that he didn't know how to do very much math, he could add and subtract good enough, but after the wipe, he didn't know much about it, and didn't bother to regain the skill.

"Hello good sssir. I would love to learn the workss of leather from you. I can read and write, however my math ssskills aren't the bessst. I've made workss of leather before, but nothing for retail. I wisssh to learn to become a masster from someone like you."

Kanzora sucked up mildly, hoping that the man wouldn't notice his enlonged s's. Kanzora walked over to the counter, slowly as though a normal human would. He realized what Nabinu was talking about when he stepped closer and looked out the back door. A giant black cat was in the back, basking in the sun. At first Kanzora was frightened, then he licked his lips, it would be a tasty snack if he could happen to kill it. A fight it would be, but one well worth it. He would have to keep away from that kind of attitude though, if he was not to be caught.

"My name is Kanzora sssir. Nice to meet you."
"When your breath is so shallow, your bones so weak. Your only thoughts are of those to wish its end. Those are the moments you cherrish, the ones you remember."
KanzoraSehol
Player

Postby Gossamer on October 1st, 2009, 7:24 am

Kanzora

"I be pleased meeting you as well, Kanzora. I am called Nabinu. My tiger is Avital. We'd be grateful for the additional help, if you prove useful. I'll start your classes immediately on leather working, because the shop has a big backlog and working through it, we can be doing in terms of your training. But for now, you'll be best pleasing me by manning the counter and making sales. You can start today if you'd like. Tomorrow if you want to take today to get settled. I pay 5 gm a day, and those are apprentice wages. You'll be able to make some of your own things without buying materials too. We are open with the rest of the city merchants bright and sharp at seven in the morning. We close at dark, whenever that hour falls - it depends on the season. You make sales, you hear? But don't be pressuring the customers to buy things they don't need. We sell them the best of things they need, nothing more and nothing less." He said, gesturing towards the counter.

"Tomorrow in the evening, after work, you stick around and I'll get you started on figuring out what you know and what you need to learn. Leatherworking is a complex skill... you need to know tanning too... all of it matters. But we can get you trained right and proper soon enough.. if your willing to put the time in."
He said, smiling gently. "Have you a place to stay? If you don't, go see Matilda at Traveler's Row. She'll fix you up with long term housing. Tell her I sent you so you get a really good deal." Nabinu said, adding all the information in with a smile. "So? You staying? Going to get settled, or passing on the job?" He asked, curious as to what Kanzora would decide.

Moderator NotesIf you accept the job, you can moderate this thread - answering people buying things, doing custom work etc. And as for your leatherworking training, we can do a seperate thread (outside the shop thread) for that. You can start it. I can moderate it or if you want to go faster, you can use Nabinu and self-moderate to get a feel for the game. Just let me know what you want to do. :)
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby KanzoraSehol on October 1st, 2009, 6:35 pm

Kanzora smiled as the man spoke, it was always nice to have a friendly boss, well he supposed thats what he would be. As the man mentioned his name again, he nodded, and looked out at the tiger who could at some point later be part of a good fight for him. Not now though, again he had to control himself. Lessons would start immediately, and he could run the counter. Not to mention the five golden mizas he would get per day. That would be especially useful. He needed a good paying job, and for just starting that wasn't that bad. Once he got enough he could start his own booth, buy his own stand, and hopefully put this place out of its own buissness. That was far in the future though, and he would keep the thoughts out of his head for the time being.

"Well, I have to admit, the starting pay and thingsss that come with it are quite intriguing. I have nothing elssse to do, so if you'd like me to, I could start working now, Nabinu sssir."

He spoke to the dark skinned man in a deep tone, again trying to take control of his.. lisp, you could call it. He smiled at the man, and stretched out his hand for a handshake. In the simple gesture however, the scales that shown through his skin on the right side came into view, his sweatshirt had been to small today, and he knew that was a mistake. He quickly withdrew, and put out his left hand instead, trying to shake of the accident, and play it like it never happened.

"Is there anything you need done right now sssir? I'm free all day, and can help with anything needed."

Kanzora countined to try to keep the convorsation going, or at least get some work to do, he hated standing around with nothing to do, which led him to actually come and get the job in the first place actually. He had gotten used to the smell by this point, but there was an especially strong wift, which caught him off guard. His nose cringed, and he realized that something must have happened in the back that he couldn't see, he didn't want to question though, it might seem that he was offended, which could cause something he didn't want to happen, to happen. Kanzora let it go, and simply waited for the man to continue. Nabinu was quite the interesting name wasn't it..?
KanzoraSehol
Player

Postby Gossamer on October 1st, 2009, 9:01 pm

Kanzora

Nabinu didn't miss the scales. His dark Myrian eyes didn't miss much, for that matter. But he said nothing at all about them. What was the use? Nabinu judged people on their willingness to work, their ethics, and the way they carried themselves, not by what they looked like. The tiger, however, might have something else in mind if he thought he was going to become a meal. Myrian Tigers were fierce creatures, fully as large as horses, and did not take kindly to predators thinking of them as prey. They'd spent too much time on top of the food chain.

"Yes, now would be good then. The store needs a good cleaning while there are no customers about, and I have to be out back to dye a new batch of leather red. Red seems to be a mighty popular color this season... though we sell a lot of orange and yellow leathers in the fall as well. And if you get done with the cleaning, I'll have you take a leather knife and start cutting some of the piles I have of leather scrap into squares. We sew these together and form decorative patchwork materials that can be used as purses, bags, even shoes...." He added.

"Don't forget to find yourself some place to stay too if you don't have a residence. I expect my employees to show up clean, neat, and well rested. I wish I had an extra apartment or two for apprentices here like they do at the Ironworks, but there's simply not enough space with the vats."
He said, then took the time to point out where the storage closet was that contained the cleaning impliments - broom, dust pan, mop, rags for dusting. Then he showed Kanzora where he kept the leather knives, a spare butcher block, and his pile of leather scraps... and how to cut the scraps into perfect squares for the patchwork. It was obviously the busy work of a clerk, but it was something to pass the time in between customers.

With that done, Nabinu disappeared out back, presumably to his complete his leather dying project.
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby KanzoraSehol on October 3rd, 2009, 3:46 pm

Cleaning, wonderful! Kanzora hated cleaning more then he hated anything, and he didn't want to do it, especially with the size of the place. He was about to make up some excuse for not doing it, but realized that this might be the only job oppurtunity he would have in quite awhile, so he gradually decided he would do it, but wouldn't do it often he was sure. He took the equipment unwillingly, and walked across to the end of the shop where he would start. He turned around, going to ask if there was any specific way that Nabinu wanted to place cleaned, but he was already gone so he would have to deal with Kanzoras way.

He started with the floor, swept it, then continued on with the back, over time sweeping dusting and cleaning every square inch of the place. After it, Kanzora had come up with at least one hundred ways that he would kill someone for making him do this, but got it done. He then continued to cut the leather, making perfect little squares, just as he was told. It was a long, painstakingly boring process, but someone needed to do it. It looked like he was going to be that guy. After a long day, he signed out, said goodbye to Nabinu, and left the place sparkling clean.
KanzoraSehol
Player

Postby Nya Winters on October 4th, 2009, 6:12 am

TS: 30th of Summer (Grandfathered with Permission - Self Moderated because of this thread)

Nya slipped into the leather shop, and quietly looked around. The entire place smelled like so many hideous things, if left to describe it later, she'd be hard pressed to actually distinguish the various offensive mechanisms.

Nabinu greeted her and she smiled politely. Halting at the counter, she looked around, then spoke quietly. "I need a tiger saddle adapted to fit a forest cat. Is that possible? It needs to be for a larger man, one taller than me and heavier by about fifty pounds." The Tanner seemed to consider, then he nodded. "I'll need to measure, the cat that is, not the man. I can fit a saddle to a larger individual." Nya nodded. "I can provide the cat if you can provide the privacy." Nabinu looked at her intently, and then nodded. "Aye.. but it will be extra to be keeping it quiet now, you know?" Nya nodded, and the shopkeeper escorted her to the back room where she disrobed, shifted, and allowed him to measure her back, chest, and flanks for the proper fit. Once they were done, Nabinu closed the deal with a handshake, and promised her the saddle by the middle of next season. She nodded, thinking that fair enough, and picked up a few other things while she was there. Along with the cat saddle for 25 GM, she got barding to go with it for another 5 GM. Then she got a pair of low boots (3 SM), a pair of sandals (2 SM), Large Saddlebags (8 GM), a Leather working kit for 10 GM, a belt pouch (10 SM), and a pair of sheaths for the sharp daggers she was planning on buying and one for an axe she was planning on buying in the following season (6 SM). In total, she paid Nabinu 50.2 GM for all the gear... and promised to come back mid- season for the saddle.
Nya Winters
Let the winds in my heart blow...

Words: 784686
Joined roleplay: June 7th, 2009, 6:53 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Trailblazer (1) Never Say Die (1)
Donor (1) 2017 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2017 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Avi on December 14th, 2009, 5:21 am

TS: 1st of Winter, 509 AV

After visiting An Elegant Weave, Avi had managed to get directions to All Things Leather - the clothing shop hadn't carried shoes, after all, but after some inquiries, this had seemed to be the place to go. It hadn't been hard to find - all she had had to do was follow her nose, and sure enough, there she was. She had stared happily at the enormous tiger for almost ten minutes, utterly in love with its colouring before slipping in to have a look at the boots. This, Avi decided, was somewhere she was going to have to come back to later. Maybe she'd bring some leathers and furs here. Barring that, An Elegant Weave seemed to purchase them as well.

After trying on a few pairs of boots, she settled on a pair of dark low leather boots. She happily paid Nabinu for them, assuring the Myrian she would come back to see him and his tiger again soon. There was something to be said about a large cat that was the size of a horse!
Avi
Player

Words: 63591
Joined roleplay: October 21st, 2009, 12:35 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next