Closed Scrolls for the Wave Guard [Pt. 2] [Uschi]

Anna creates another batch of scrolls for the Wave Guards, this time with company.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Scrolls for the Wave Guard [Pt. 2] [Uschi]

Postby Annalisa Marin on July 7th, 2013, 10:07 pm

36th of Summer, 513 AV

Anna sat at the table of her home, once again it was cluttered with parchment and had ink ready for use nearby. These were times where she wished that she could afford to own a large office or lab area specifically for the purposes of Glyphing and scroll making. Doing this at her house carried with it the risk that she could accidently burn her home down if she got too caught up in her casting. That would be rather embarrassing and highly inconvenient.

The night was quite young and Anna felt at her peak, well rested from her practice session a couple of days before and ready to get back to both her practice and her research. The young wizard's home was humble for her and frighteningly spartan, lacking any and all adornments. Yet it was home to three people at the moment, the Professor herself, Kenshin the rat Kelvic who took residence under her bed, and the newest one Uschi, a bear Kelvic who slept on the floor on a bundle of furs.

Kenshin was either not around or he might have been out gathering intelligence about this individual or that one. Anna was not certain where Uschi had wandered off too, however she knew that the bear would eventually lumber back in. She was far too frightened of Anna's magic to possibly think of running away. This fact pleased Anna greatly, and every time Anna heard Uschi call her Mistress Marin or wince whenever she made a sudden move near her the wizard felt a sick sense of empowerment. She could hardly wait until her curse took effect.

The young professor dispelled these thought and concentrated on the task at hand, picking up a sheet of parchment and bringing it closer to her. Anna examined the parchment, thinking carefully as to the overall design she was going for on these scrolls before she ever picked up the brush. The first batch she had sent the Wave Guards had been rather simplistic in design, as well as purpose. She wanted something bigger and more powerful, scrolls that reflected her current skill as not only a Glypher but as a wizard in general.

The spell itself was going to be much more powerful in at least one of these, as she had practiced one she liked not two days ago. It had possessed phases, looking like a large ball of flame that then dispersed into a number of smaller firebolts. It was a taxing spell but very potent for a wide area of effect. She wanted to place the same spell into a scroll, which would be very difficult and rather complex. Unfortunately she doubted she could make it tonight, she needed to further refine the spell itself and research a number of glyphing methods to ensure it would function properly.

So tonight would just likely be firebolts, simple things really. Anna could by this point cast a firebolt quite naturally and easily, not with utter and complete control yet but certainly with ease. She would keep it simple tonight and research the possibility of crafting a more complex scroll for her next session. These scrolls would be much more simple, just a single focus, a barrier around it and a single voice commanded trigger.

The young wizard nodded and picked up her brush, dipping it in ink and preparing to draw the focus.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Words: 1635951
Joined roleplay: May 19th, 2013, 6:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
Featured Thread (1) Overlored (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Uschi on July 7th, 2013, 11:05 pm

Uschi, at that moment, was wandering around Zeltiva looking for something. What she was looking for, however, was unclear to even her. Self-consciously she tugged the sleeves of her shirt down, then the hem, keeping close to the buildings. Perhaps she'd go out and buy a drink or two, or maybe even some different clothes. Her hands wrapped around the fang on the leather thong around her neck, remembering the day she got it. The prize was not without consquences though, and she still bears scars around her head.

I haven't taken a peek into Treasures of the Sea recently... Maybe I'll go there. Or the Fish Market! But Mistress Marin may need me... I'll head back to her home.

Quietly the bear Kelvic lumbered back towards her mistress' residence, attempting to avoid tripping but -- as usual -- failing miserably. Twice she fell, skinning her palms and effectively bruising her knees. She didn't want to disobey the professor by becoming a bear, nor did she wish to tear her clothes, so she bore the embarassment and kept walking. Following her nose, Uschi managed to get back to her mistress without getting lost. She caught the scents of the food on West Street as she passed, and the less savory ones on East Street. She would need to remind her mistress that she needed to buy new clothing.

She arrived at the door to her mistress' residence, knocking politely. "Mistress Marin, am I allowed to come in?" she asked, keeping her head angled to the ground.

Ursine | Common | Thoughts | Char | Other's speech
Uschi
Shy Hostility

Words: 19552
Joined roleplay: June 25th, 2013, 2:19 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Annalisa Marin on July 7th, 2013, 11:58 pm

Anna was hunched over her table, ready to draw her first focus when she heard a meek and subservient voice at the door. Her grey eyes flicked to the side and noticed Uschi standing in the doorway, her eyes down cast to the floor which pleased Anna to no end. She was slowly adjusting to her new life well enough and she was as obedient as they came. Anna loved that in her new servant and mused that she had indeed made the right call in sparing her, though as of this point she had not had her do much. Perhaps that would change tonight, perhaps not.

"Come Uschi." Anna said, a simple barked command as though she were ordering a dog.

"What were you out doing?" Anna asked, not looking up at her but starting the first strokes on her focus glyph.

By this point, drawing a simple focus was mind numbingly easy and much faster for her than it had been normally. It was instinctual and each stroke was carefully engrained into her memory, deliberate and fluid in nature. The focus itself took about five chimes to draw fully, in that time she paid no heed to Uschi and what she was doing. Anna quickly started on the barrier surrounding the focus, being much more careful and intricate about this as she drew each individual rune in their sequence. The barrier was needed to contain the magic within the focus, so it needed to be well made.

As she drew, hunched over the table as she was it started again. The uncomfortable feeling in her back that she got every time she made scrolls. Normally she would have just waited until she finished with her barrier before trying her stretches, but a thought came to mind. Her gaze flicked to Uschi and a thought for how she could be useful tonight came to mind. It wasn't much but it would get her through at least one scroll.

"Come over here and massage my shoulders." Anna commanded, in a tone that brooked no argument.

If Uschi was going to be playing the part of household servant than the least she could do was be useful in some regard to her mistress. At the moment she needed some comfort as she finished up her scroll. Besides if Uschi was going to be a fixture around here then Anna wanted her to possess some skill in menial services. As it was hunting and fighting were good sources of income, but made for poor service qualities.

Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Uschi on July 8th, 2013, 12:24 am

The command came, as if she were telling a mere animal to come.

"Come, Uschi."

It lit something inside of her. Humans might call it anger, but she called it instinct. She desperately wanted to yell at her mistress that she wasn't a dog, she was a Kelvic, but kept her mouth shut and only showed a slice of her anger by hunching her shoulders. She moved forwards slowly to her mistress' side. Then the question came.

"What were you out doing?"

"Mistress, I was out roaming Zeltiva. I don't know what I was looking for, perhaps it was just to see a little bit of the city. I haven't been back since last year."

She watched her mistress create the symbol on the paper, curious but silent. It took barely five chimes, but had a simple elegance that Uschi could never hope to achieve. She was just too clumsy in her human form. Then the wizard began on the border of the symbol, and runes were drawn. She drew them with even more care than before, and it was a complicated elegance this time. If Uschi had done this, it would've been messy as shyke, but this woman completed them easily in her eyes. Just as she was about to ask something, her mistress beat her to it.

"Come over here and massage my shoulders."

Her own shoulders were hunched another inch and a tiny growl escaped her, but she did as commanded anyways. A slight wave of panic flooded her, since she didn't know how to massage someone's shoulders. She would try, though. Placing a hand on either shoulder, she pressed her thumbs into the flesh just below her mistress' neck and moved them in circles.

"Mistress...? I will need another set of clothing, in case I accidentally shift and tear this set."

She hoped she wouldn't distract the professor from her work or disturb her concentration, but she needed to get another set of clothing. Quietly Uschi pondered different ways to attain income from fighting, and decided to ask another question.

"Is gambling illegal in Zeltiva, Mistress?"

The reason for the question was that if it wasn't, then she could fight in a ring or some other place where they gambled on the fighters. Uschi knew she could put up a fight if she needed to, but they probably would collar her to keep her from shifting and gaining an unfair advantage.

Uschi
Shy Hostility

Character sheet

Postby Annalisa Marin on July 8th, 2013, 12:57 am

Anna sighed lightly as Uschi worked her thumbs where Anna's shoulder met her neck, it sent slight waves of relief through her body. It was certainly not substitute for a professionals touch but it was helping her get through finishing up the barrier runes. Anna idly wondered if there was a course offered for massage at the University, if so perhaps she should have Uschi try for it. It would certainly open up more job opportunities than just being a body guard and if she got good at it then she'd make much more. Her thoughts were interrupted at Uschi's mention of clothing and gambling.

"Well then, stop by a tailor for some clothes. I remember that you have some money saved up correct? That should cover whatever you need." Anna said with a nod.

"Gambling is not illegal in Zeltiva, its most rampant in East Street though I'd be careful if I were you. Falling in with those crowds is a risky affair." The young wizard said, placing the finishing touches on the barrier sigil.

Anna sighed and started on the trigger, which would be the mode of activation. Once spoken the barrier would fall and the magic in the focus would activate. Once again her brush moved delicately as she connected the trigger to the barrier sigil, already deciding on the key word of activation for the scroll. 'Incognito' would be the word to activate the scroll, if spoken in a close proximity it would activate the trigger.

Below the trigger she added instructions in common, as she always did in her scrolls. 'This scroll contains a spell in fire reimancy known as the firebolt, as such it is extremely dangerous and hazardous. When used one must ensure that it is pointed away from them at all times, it must also be handled with care as and damage to the scroll will release the magic. The trigger for this scroll is Incognito, only speak it when ready to use it.'

Anna put her brush down and leaned back with a sigh, still glad to partake in Uschi's awkward massage. That was one scroll down, two more to go for tonight. At this rate she feared she was going to end up having a permanent hunch. It wouldn't surprise her.

"Uschi, you are doing well, keep it up my dear." Anna complimented as she pulled up another sheet of parchment and started on the focus.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Uschi on July 8th, 2013, 1:08 am

OOCUschi should be a healer! Maybe she can get a gnosis mark from Rak'keli... Or she could be a masseuse too.

Uschi made a mental note of the granted request to stop by a tailor. Her mistress informed her that East Street was a dangerous crowd, but that was where gambling was most prominent. She watched the brush form more runes, trying to figure out what they meant. She was unsuccessful. Words in Common were added below the work of art, and although she couldn't read very well she could understand some of the words, such as 'spell', 'fire', 'danger', and 'magic'.

Her massage was complimented on, and she felt good about it. She set about trying to figure out how to improve it, and ended up kneading her mistress' back. Another sheet of parchment was pulled up, and the brush began to mark it.

"Yes, Mistress."

She wondered where the other Kelvic was. Didn't she say there was another Kelvic? Uschi shrugged mentally and drifted off in her thoughts.

Uschi
Shy Hostility

Character sheet

Postby Annalisa Marin on July 8th, 2013, 3:25 am

OOCA bear kelvic healer? I love the idea. :lol: Though you are aware the healers can't fight except in self defense right?

Anna continued her work on the focus glyph, allowing her muscles to relax slightly as Uschi's amateurish hands worked at her back. She was certainly no master masseuse, but considering the stress this project gave her even Uschi's awkward and inexperienced hands were welcome. The young wizard concentrated on making her brush strokes as precise and articulate as possible, once again finishing the focus in about five chimes. Anna nodded slowly as she looked over it for imperfections, satisfied with the work so far.

"You have questions, Uschi? Speak freely." Anna said as she started in the barrier sigil.

This was all part of the plan of course, she was no master manipulator but she knew enough of how to position situations to benefit her interests. Anna wanted to give Uschi and Kenshin certain compliments and teach them certain things. She intended to give both Kenshin and Uschi the illusion of certain freedom and pit them again each other in a rivalry of sorts, one where the stronger and more cunning would dominate the weak. It was to ensure that only the better of the two had a place in her research, the other would likely be reduced to a broken shell.

Anna had no issue with this selective process, she knew Kenshin a bit better than she did Uschi but the bear Kelvic was looking to be superior. She had survived the pain of have foreign res shoved into her, a long and tortuous pain that Anna knew well. That spoke well of her endurance if nothing else.

Anna drew each individual rune with care and patience, slowly forming the barrier around the focus. Glyphing was a slow and diligent process that required utmost care, especially when one was crafting new scrolls. One little slip up could render the whole thing completely useless. Which was why one had to gain an eye for keen detail when making a scroll, as well as possess the patience to redo work that was messed up.

Anna finished the barrier with a grateful sigh, placing her brush down for a moment as she rubbed her eyes slightly. The young wizard was not exactly tired but sitting hunched over was a little irritating and uncomfortable even with a nice massage.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Uschi on July 8th, 2013, 3:46 am

OOCYes, quite aware. That is a drawback, isn't it? I guess I'll have to choose...

She was... surprised, to say the least, that her mistress would allow questions. Her massage was awkward, which she thought would anger her more, but didn't.

"Will you teach me to read, Mistress? I'm not very good at it. And, where is the other Kelvic?"

She was writing on another piece of parchment. How many was she to do? Uschi hoped that she wasn't supposed to massage her shoulders through the whole night. After a few chimes, -- or at least, that's how it felt to Uschi -- she sat back with a sigh and put her brush down. The wizard rubbed her eyes, and the bear Kelvic felt a slight flash of concern. "Are you alright, Mistress? Do you need anything, like a drink?"

She didn't want her mistress to become grumpy and volatile, especially not at night when she was getting tired. It would result in Uschi making a mistake and getting punished for it. Punishment was definitely something she did not desire. Pulling one hand away from the massage, she scratched just behind her ear at an itch. Smooth flesh, not the same texture as the rest of her skin, met her fingertips and she remembered the bear she received it from, the same one she acquired her fang. The same hand went down to hold it, rubbing her thumb along the curve of it. She became lost in her memories for a moment, then returned to the present and placed the hand back to its appropriate shoulder. Her mistress wouldn't appreciate the lull in what comfort she could provide.

OOCGood grief, my posts are getting shorter and shorter. I must do a flashback some time...

Uschi
Shy Hostility

Character sheet

Postby Annalisa Marin on July 9th, 2013, 1:26 am

Anna turned to regard Uschi for the first time tonight, her grey eyes searching the kelvic face as a feeling of deja vu hit her again. Kenshin had asked to be taught the basics of reading and writing as well, which she had complied to teach despite the slight annoyance it had brought her. The young wizard had to wonder if there was any point in teaching Uschi to read, after all if kelvic aging worked as she had come to understand the bear would be near her midlife in about seven years or so. Kenshin was likely to live even less time. However Anna figured that if she was researching the kelvics it was best to get an all around feel for what they were and how they functioned.

The young wizards expression was not unkind but it was certainly searching, as though she was actually looking at Uschi for the first time. Kenshin was useful for certain things, but Anna needed strength and cunning above all for her research. It was possible that Uschi could provide her with answers where someone like Kenshin could not.

"I might consider teaching you lettering, I will need to finish drawing up these scrolls first and place spells inside of them. As for Kenshin, he is likely out and about. He wanders as he pleases." She said.

"As for whether I am alright, yes I am fine simply a little exhausted. Extensive Glyphing is straining to the eyes and muscles. That and I still have research to conduct into creating a more complex scroll for advanced purposes and effectiveness in combat situations. The stress tends to build after a little while." Anna replied.

The woman stood from her chair abruptly and started pacing in a line, her mind returning to the other scroll idea. The wizard then started talking aloud to herself, musing over certain ideas.

"A single large spell would mean that I would have to get a larger piece of parchment as well as use more ink... it would also only grant a single shot at a target. Getting it to disperse on exit would be next to impossible..." The wizard said aloud, her hand rubbing her chin slightly.

That just seemed inefficient to her, a single spell was only going to do so much in a combat situation. It could be dodged easily enough and, to be honest, one firebolt was not that threatening. But if one could achieve a dispersal effect...

"If I added more than one focus to the scroll, and contained each within a barrier... perhaps a single trigger could activate all of them. Or even make them individually activated to give one a better chance to hit the target!" The wizard mused, looking very much the professor that she was.

It was a possibility, in theory at least. She would definitely need to conduct further research into the matter, as well as run tests out in the Wildlands. The prospect of this being even vaguely possible was enough to make her giddy with excitement. Yes! This could possibly work and it might even open up new fields in glyphing to discover.

"Oh, Uschi this is quite exciting. A new direction in scroll making that I'll need to explore soon..." She said as she made her way back to her chair.

"First things first, I'll need to get this batch finished up for the Wave Guards. Feel free to return to rubbing my back." The woman said as she hunched over again to begin on the Trigger sigil, her eyes ablaze with a fierce passion.
Annalisa Marin
Sorceress of Chaos

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Uschi on July 9th, 2013, 1:59 am

She felt like she had done something wrong when her mistress turned to look at her, and immediately averted her eyes. Uschi missed the searching expression that she recieved, prepared for a strike. When it didn't come, she glanced up warily. Happiness quietly enveloped the girl at the possibility of being taught letters. Her mistress informed her that she was slightly exhausted, but still needed research. The chair came back and hit her legs, causing her to stumble backwards and nearly fall, but she regained her balance and said nothing.

The wizard began talking, obviously to herself since she knew the Kelvic wouldn't understand a word of it. She looked quite the professor type as she thought aloud, and Uschi admired it. She was addressed, but it was rhetorical. Her mistress moved back to the chair and sat down, saying something about the Wave Guards. The woman hunched over and began on another sheet of parchment, and Uschi returned to rubbing her shoulders.

"What are you making, Mistress?"

She was curious to know, and shifted slightly from the ache in her knees that came from standing. Whatever it was, she was certainly making a lot of them.

Uschi
Shy Hostility

Character sheet

Next