Words of the Resident LARP Goddess

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Kreig Messer on June 24th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Fallon Fallon Fallon!!

I would like to request that you sing for us mah dear!!
Feeel thy wrath!!!!

"You gents best be careful, I'm feelin' mighty rabid right now... and your the only ones around to bite"
Kreig Messer
The guy in crazy town.

Words: 883597
Joined roleplay: January 22nd, 2012, 7:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Fallon on July 8th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Hahahahahaaaa... You want me to sing? You do realise that is the equivalent of a death sentence for your ears right? As in, I really cannot sing for love nor money. Maybe later when you have your ear plugs ready I might consider it.

Moving swiftly on, I will now open a massive Fallon question and answer section! Hurrah! So drop a message and I will answer it.

In other news, I have another larp event coming up which is going to last 4 days, so during that time you'll hear nothing out of me. Anyway, until next time.
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Words: 2242110
Joined roleplay: January 21st, 2013, 4:24 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Fubuki Kouri on July 8th, 2013, 8:10 pm

I shall be the first to ask you a question in this particular session! :D

So, Fallon, what makes her so uncomfortable in talking magic with the general populace? Does she have some undesirable memories in using them? Or is it just because Syliras is very strict on the use of magic?

"common" | "vani" | thoughts

Important Note: I'm not accepting new threads unless I promised you beforehand, I'm sorry for any inconveniences caused.
Fubuki Kouri
The Sorceress' Daughter

Words: 784291
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2

Postby Fallon on July 9th, 2013, 8:05 am

So, Fallon, what makes her so uncomfortable in talking magic with the general populace? Does she have some undesirable memories in using them? Or is it just because Syliras is very strict on the use of magic?

Thanks for the question Fubuki!

There's lots of little answers to that, some influences that are straight from the lore, and others that are more history related that have yet to be properly expanded but exist there in the background. Somewhere. So let's begin with the lore straight from the Magic lore page;

Don't think you can do magic on the streets without consequences. Mizaharians are often pretty narrow-minded around magic. You would be, too, if something like magic had pretty much destroyed the Earth 500 years ago.

That's Fallon's first and most important point. People should be wary of it, and so also judge mages and the practitioners of it. Not just in Syliras but the entire continent. Magic is serious business after all, people fear it and what it can do and should they be looking for trouble it will come pretty quickly. Knowing that factor Fallon chooses to keep her head down and her magic quiet, she does not want people to judge her as a threat/madman/fear/etc. Of course there are those that are seemingly accepting of it, but that does not mean that she can trust them enough to share.

Of course there is the entire situation of Syliras itself, but that is an obvious one so let's just move on.

Which leads me onto another point this time in the Wizard Psychology Lore, underneath the Trauma section. Paranoia. Although it is yet to the extent that "everyone is an assassin" or "everyone is going to kill me" it is still enough to make Fallon go "If the know they'll use it against me," or "If they know there entire view on me will be changed," even right down to the simple of "They will hate me if they know."

But where did this all stimulate from?

Simple answer, her mentor. Which then leads us nicely into IC history. Her mentor and initiator in projection - even before she could use magic - constantly told her not to tell anyone about their manipulations. Even if their life depended on it, they would never tell anyone. It was too much of a risk and would cause friction between them and locals. She could not even offer the information freely to someone she completely trusted and its use should only be used when needed. And on the occasions that she did get caught using it, most people treated her differently because of it.

In more of the IC history section, even before she could do magic she was shunned for "being a witch" and the like. So even then she was made aware that it was something that should not be shared or spoken too with just anyone.

Hopefully that answers your question. And on that note, next one please!
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on July 18th, 2013, 11:34 am

I'm off to kill goblins, drink mead and save the world. Yep you guessed it I'm LARPing. I'll be away from Mizahar from the 18th 3pm to the 21st 7pm GMT, I won't be on chat and I won't be doing responses. I might be able to respond to PMs, but I'm not going to promise that I will. So by all means send in your questions, requests and all that jazz, but do be patient!
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on July 27th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Catching Up:

I'm back! I'm alive! LARP Fallon is alive too (though covered in bug bites). Before anyone asks yes it was a successful event, yes we saved the world from the clutches of the puppet master, and yes she is as violent as ever. Oh, and has turned into a faction, but let's not talk about that *just* yet. Let’s talk about other LARP things.

It appears I have lied to you. I did not kill or slay any goblins at this event - I did however become an honorary goblin. I managed to impress other characters enough with my pure disgusting habits and threats to have them dub me as one. That and I think it’s because I’m a higher level than most of said goblins. Anyway, this time round we were fighting humans, demons and angels, which I think has a lot more in awesome points. We were also finishing this saga where we killed the villain that has been taunting us for 6 years. 6 long years! 6 long years of me not paying attention! Gods, where does the time go?

Oh yes, faction stuff. I don’t know anymore, it just happened! Like me obtaining a bunch of werewolves to boss about happened. Why isn’t LARP Fallon dead yet!?

Moving swiftly on. Now, whilst on chat I got asked several questions from various people so here I will try to answer them.

KREIG MESSER:
Actually Fallon, I'm wondering... what do you guys do to prepare before the LARP begins? How do the game masters make sure it’s all organized?

Well at the very start before we have an event we have to book a venue. The main group I attend has it run on a scout campsite with trees everywhere. Now, behind the scenes the crew and refs organise a time table as to when there will be monster encounters, miniature quests and missions along with what NPCs will be floating about supplying plot to people – all in costume. When they arrive at the venue – before the player base turns up – they scour the venue for potential hazards and risks, and set up scenery, props, NPC tents and what not.

When the players arrive we have something called ‘set up time’ which is exactly like it sounds, players set up both their IC and OC areas, sort their things, kit up and so on. Once all that is done a player brief is then established where a plot drop is given, a brief weather and health and safety talk is given. Weapons checks are made to well check for damage and that they are indeed LARP safe before promptly we are let free into the fantasy world.

ABSTRACT & KEITH:
How heavy are the weapons? AND Of what material are the weapons made?

Well it varies from weapon to weapon. And what they’re made from – hence why I linked the two questions together. There are three types of LARP Weapons; Boffer, latex and polyurethane foam (which looks like injection moulding).

Boffer weapons you can make with a wooden pole, a lot of foam and duct-tape, you can pretty much go home and make them and spend less than £30 on one. How safe they are though, well, I don’t know.

Latex. You see my axe? That’s a latex weapon. They generally have either a carbon or fibreglass core, are surrounded in foam, painted and coated in latex. That axe is a good few years old and only had one repaint on it. They’re generally solid built you can buy them online and for UK LARPs they’re the most common form of larp weapon. The axe itself weighs in at 2 lbs and has a weighted bottom (not a top, a bottom) making it occasionally a bugger to swing about.

Polyurethane foam. My Kukri is an example of that. Carbon cored with foam outside. The foam is pre-coloured, put into a mould and well yeah made into a semi rubber weapon. These hold their shapes indefinitely, are cold resistant and are all round hardy. And among the heavier end of the scale. They’re also generally the most balanced and carry their pivot point at where the hilt joins the blade. And I believe most weapons made of this stuff weigh around 1 lb (size depending of course).

Standard Nonsense:

Right, before I digress too much let's focus on Mizahar things - because that's how it roles on here.

When I write I always find I produce better stuff when I 'feel' the thread. I don't want to say "when I'm in the mood for it," for most of the time I am in the mood (I love writing, if I could have my own way I'd be a successful author by now but alas life has other thins for me). I suppose what I'm trying to say is, I can empathise and get right under the character's skin, into their mind set and understand how she would react. Of course, sometimes this takes longer than others more so if it's a dark and frightening thread - however the promise of a tipple ‘award’ afterwards generally helps in getting me going. Along with having a good source of inspiration. And my own sort of zone area – which as I write this does not exist (don’t worry I’m stalking out a new lair).

Anyway, onwards to inspiration;

The process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, esp. to do something creative

Inspiration is pretty vital - in my opinion. If you haven’t got any inspiration or ideas then you're going to end up being stuck in a rut doing the rinse and repeat motif. Hence, alas, why training threads can end up slightly soul draining after a while if you're just swinging a sword about at the air. And perhaps it's also most probably why Fallon get's her backside handed to her on numerous occasions when she does fight.

Guilty pleasures ride again. It does make it slightly more interesting after all.

Is it mean that I like to unleash a little bit of hell upon Fallon? I mean, not full blown drama, blood, guts and veins. Just small doses where she just keeps getting knocked down and promptly not getting back up any time soon. Or receives a hard time from people. Lots of little things building up, little stresses and strains... Dear readers, I will feel so sorry for you the day Fallon finally looses her temper with another. Be hilarious for me, but for Mr or Ms Smith, well, I suppose I have to use those intimidation points for something.

But how to begin all that? How to work upon it and drag it forth? I think I must just be going through a stage, and maybe I should just set her loose on an adventure. Once… I’ve done more training threads – must get my skillsssss.

Never the less, I need to go find some inspiration and inject myself with it – or drink it if it comes in a caffeinated liquid form.
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Fubuki Kouri on August 3rd, 2013, 9:15 am

Fallon, when I heard this song, I couldn't help but think of you. Maybe it's because in my opinion, this is Fallon's views on war and conflict. I also remembered the philosophical "debate" Fallon and Kouri had at the Sunset Falls. :D

So anyways, enjoy!

"common" | "vani" | thoughts

Important Note: I'm not accepting new threads unless I promised you beforehand, I'm sorry for any inconveniences caused.
Fubuki Kouri
The Sorceress' Daughter

Words: 784291
Joined roleplay: March 31st, 2013, 1:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2

Postby Shiyami on August 4th, 2013, 2:43 am

Ah, a fellow LARP player! As a LARPer, I must ask a question!

1)What kind of setting/themes do you usually participate in? Which are your favorites, and why?

...actually, it's going to be more then a question. I've always played as an NPC. In modern warfare theme, I'm counted as a kill streak reward or enemy commander, due to my skill with the weapons, and in fantasy setting, due to the fact that no one else knows how to use the scythe of the reaper except me. So I am very curious. How does it feel to have to play the larps as a PC? How is it to face against a powerful boss NPC?
See if I have given you a nickname here!
Click me please~!
Shiyami
Death's Shadow

Words: 125205
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2013, 3:29 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Fallon on August 23rd, 2013, 9:45 pm

Shiyami:

Me, myself? Fantasy, the traditional tolkienesque sort. Yes, we have humans, elves, goblins, orks, fae, beastkin and once we had the undead sort (until we did something with them that I don't understand). I have played a sci-fi larp before, and a horror/vampire WoD. The latter did not leave much of an impression on me. My favourite therefore would have to be fantasy, because of exactly that reason. Means my imagination can go nuts.

Now for the other half. There is two answers to that which can be both seen as an IC and OOC aspect. So let me begin with IC.

IC;
I, Fallon, always get really quick tempered when it comes to 'enemy' NPCs (which has nothing to do with worshipping a crazy god). Some NPCs I can get on with, plot droppers and general do-ers can be fun, more so when I can rope them into doing things, from gambling coin to helping me with some experiments. Sure, when the are obviously the villain though I choose to keep them at a good axe and arm length away. And when they do turn, I always like to get the right to say "Hah! Told you so!"

Not gonna lie though, I get pretty scared when a big guy with a big hammer turns up. Causes a lot of upsets and worries for all of us.

OOC;
Honestly? It's hilarious.

I have NPC'ed myself before, or I join the enemies and are sent to re-spawn and cause players to feel distraught and scared. Of course, there is always the worry of being stepped on when you go down, but that's part of the fun. It's always satisfying to get a big boss and 'hero fight' when given the chance - I've had my moments with big weapons and looking silly whilst having a go at the big guy (and then promptly throwing myself backwards due to the calls they make).

There are times when it's annoying though, like you're up against a seemingly impossible task and told to go and 'deal with it'. I'm not a hero though, heck I'm not high levelled, but you want me to go fight that? Right... I'll get back to you on that one.

Hope that answers your question Shiyami.

Other news: Yes, I'm still working on the star system for the STs. Please submit ideas for achievements if you can think of any, yadda, yadda, yadda...
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Fallon on August 24th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Due to popular demand...

I have started making an ST Star system thingy-mo-bo. Sadly they're not all gold (t'aww), but their effect is still the same. But first a bit of history as to how this all came about.

It was a joke. Sort of. I said to Radiant (who spurred me on and demanded more stars later on), that if she graded 5 threads I would award her a gold star... I'll let you guess how that worked out.

So anyway, history lesson over. Now on to the important bit. Stars!

At the end of the day, it's all a bit of fun. Nothing more or less. Either way, I have it as a WIP at present,

How this works:

Because everyone has been here for different amounts of times and has different amounts of experience and grades under their belt, this will be a case of everyone starts a 0 regardless if they’re new or old (If you sign up that is). Whenever a thread(s) gets graded, notify me and I’ll award a star to you. (oooo~)

Some of course are harder to get than others, but hey ho.

Sadly, at the moment this is leaning more towards the IC story tellers over the Liaisons. But have no fear, I will sort something soon enough!

All Ideas and thoughts are welcome. :)

Achievements :
Designs will be revealed as and when the first person gets to the achievement

ExampleTitleRequirementAchievers
ImagePaperDone 1 gradeAbstract, Radiant
ImageWoodDone 5 gradesAbstract, Radiant
ImageTinDone 10 gradesAbstract, Radiant
ImageCrystalDone 15 gradesAbstract, Radiant
ImageChinaDone 20 gradesAbstract
#SilverDone 25 grades
#PearlDone 30 grades
#CoralDone 35 grades
#RubyDone 40 grades
#SapphireDone 45 grades
#GoldDone 50 grades
#EmeraldDone 55 grades
#DiamondDone 60 grades
#Blue SapphireDone 65 grades
#PlatinumDone 70 grades
#Diamond goldDone 75 grades
#OakDone 80 grades
#WineDone 85 grades
#StoneDone 90 grades
#PulsarDone 100 grades
#NeutronDone 150 grades
#BrownDone 200 grades
#RedDone 250 grades
#OrangeDone 300 grades
#YellowDone 350 grades
#BlueDone 400 grades
#BlackholeDone 450 grades
#SupernovaDone 500 grades

Spring Worker – Was here for all of the spring season
Summer Worker – Was here for all of the summer season
Autumn Worker – Was here for all of the autumn season
Winter Worker – Was here for all of the winter season

One year – Here for an entire year!

Quester– Moderate X quests from start to finish with a grade.
Master Quester – Moderate X quests from start to finish with a grade.

Laughing machine – Prank players with 5 random interventions of ‘fun’
Mini maker – Create a location for a city
Master maker – create 5 locations for a city
Last edited by Fallon on September 15th, 2013, 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FALLON
Fallon | Coffee Codes | Skill Images

Fallon is a Master of Intimidation, "At this level, a Master intimidator often unconsciously intimidates their target unless the intimidator monitors their stance, tone, and actions to prevent this. Master intimidators will nearly always have a reputation that precedes them unless they have taken special care to prevent it."
Fallon
The Red Wolf

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Artist (1) Overlored (1)

PreviousNext