Location [Riverfall] The Land and Sea Gates

All visitors and newcommers to Riverfall most post here if they enter the city. This entrance combines both the Sea Gates and the City Gates.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

[Riverfall] The Land and Sea Gates

Postby Krima on August 22nd, 2013, 4:50 am

Summer, Day 64, 513 AV

What a beautiful place!

Was Krima's first thought upon seeing the Blue Vain. It had been a long journey to travel from Mura to Riverfall. As much as Krima loved the water, the weeks out at sea had made her yearn to be on dry land again. Riverfall seemed like the best city besides Mura to be near the water. It surrounds a massive river for goodness sake!
Slowly she got off the Ferry, stepping onto the dock. She paused for a brief moment, taking in the scenery. it was filled with the power and strength of generations past and the work of the strong, never ending stream that was the Blue Vein. Avalak were dotted across the dock. Krima eyed each one as a lioness would her prey. She was here for two reasons. One being to live outside her deceased sister's shadow. Two being to find a mate. The first one should be easy, it was highly unlikely that anyone here even knew who she was. the second reason would surely present some difficulty.
Reguardless of the major objectives, it was Krima's first time outside Mura. The breathtaking scenery make her realize that she had missed out by not traveling earlier in life. As beautiful as Mura was, the varieties of color and races were jaw-dropping. I think I'm going to like it here!

She slowly walked towards the gate, her head spinning like an owl as she took everything in. She was snapped out of her trance when a Avalak tapped her on the shoulder.
"Excuse me madam. Here is a scroll of welcome from the city. It contains a list of our laws, a map of the city, and some advertisements from local businesses that sponsor these scrolls to be made. You can feel free to come in if you agree to our laws and turn this scroll back in when you leave so we can reuse it." He said in well rehearse. It was evident that he had said these lines many times before. Krima took a quick skim of the scroll, then slowly nodded her head.
"I agree."
The Avalak nodded, and pointed her through the gates. Taking the scroll back, he moved on to the next new comer to Riverfall. She took those first few steps through the gate, and her adventure in Riverfall began...

"Krima's Speech!"
My thoughts
Your speech
NPC speech
Kontinese

Krima
Love Knows No Bounds

Words: 23355
Joined roleplay: August 18th, 2013, 1:17 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nyael Atuin on August 28th, 2013, 9:29 pm

Day 90 of Spring, 513

As the ship approached the ports, an awe-struck Nyael watched the small and distant Riverfall transform into a tall, lofty city embedded in the side of the mountain. The waterfall glimmered under the bright noon sun and reflected small rainbows. Literally like a fish out of water, Nyael gaped in wide-eyed wonder at the magnificence of the city carved in stone. But this wonderment died a quick death once she and the other passengers were herded off the ship and into the wild and busy streets of Riverfall.

She was beginning to feel uncomfortable, second-guessing her decision to move to Riverfall from the safety of her home city, Charbosi. Her skin was feeling dry and taught already, and she had barely left the ports. She pulled her hood over her head to protect it from the harsh sun's heat. The port had still smelled faintly of home, but as she made her way deeper and deeper into the heart of the city, all the sights and sounds and smells were foreign. Nyael felt entirely out of her depth.

”Hello there, can I help you with anything?" An Akalak asked her. When it was clear she was at a loss for words, he did not hesitate to continue, "I can always spot the newcomers! Here is a scroll of welcome from the city. It contains a list of our laws, a map of the city, and some advertisements from local businesses that sponsor these scrolls to be made. You can feel free to come in if you agree to our laws and turn this scroll back in when you leave so we can reuse it." 

Nyael felt like her tongue was stumbling to form the right sounds. It didn't help that her mouth felt like dry sand. "Th--thank you. Very much," she rasped.

"You're very welcome!" The Akalak said genially. "If you need anything, feel free to find me and ask."

He proceeded to give Nyael his name and point out some of the administrative buildings nearby should she need help with housing or job hunting. Nyael, however, wasn't listening. Not that she was trying to be rude, but there were so many distractions. It was a large city, of that she was sure. But there were so many bodies--so many races--packed into every square inch of the streets that they seemed to burst life. Noisy, smelly, and colorful life.

I did want an adventure, she thought. Well...time to have an adventure.
Nyael Atuin
Player

Words: 17302
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2013, 4:44 am
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Hornet on August 29th, 2013, 7:57 pm

90th of Summer, 513 AV, Early Morning
Riverfall, Main Gates

At only four inches tall and even less long, Hornet would never be able to outdo an Akalak in brute strength. With enough training, the Pycon might eventually be able to hold his ground when given his blowgun and a place to hide, but even that moment still seemed far away. He had every reason to be thankful of the protection granted by those manning the walls. So before looking for a job to earn his right to stay, he wanted to see them. He wanted to see the walls, the gates, the guards.

This might have come as a surprise to those who didn't know much about Pycon, given that he didn't really have eyes to see with. The carving in his face hinted at a nose and mouth, and he even had a goatee decorating his chin, but his clay had formed a blindfold where his eyes should have been. Physical appearance for Pycon is indicative of experiences rather then abilities though, and thankfully he never had to experience loss of sight.

And so he sought a good location from which to observe the spectacle of the traffic through the gates. It had to be out of the way, because he wasn't going to let yet another Akalak step on him. It also had to offer a good view of the gates, that's what he was here for, after all. After searching for a short while, he decided to settle under one of the many evergreen bushes that decorated the streets of Riverfall, wriggling the clay turtleshell that formed his body in the open space beneath the plant. He folded his front arms under his chin and rested on all four elbows, enjoying the sight.

From his hiding place, he saw how the patrols on the walls kept a vigilant watch over the plains and the river. He observed how the guards at the gate checked an incoming cart, while it's owner read the scroll containing Riverfalls laws.

The Pycon could picture exactly what would be read, ticking them off on his fingers. "'All Rivarians are expected to maintain courtesy and civility within the city boundaries,' meaning that I won't be treated too badly. 'Respect and deference to those with a higher social standing is expected,' as most of them are better then me anyway. 'Dueling is allowed only outside the city gates or within appropriate Sasaran,' so as long as I stay within the gates, I should be safe from attacks. 'Stealing is not allowed,' which means that I get to keep what is mine. 'Food, scent, and aesthetically orientated greenery is to be cultivated in any viable spot within the city to encourage beauty and sustainability among Riverians,' giving me plenty of places to take cover if necessary, and enjoy the sight while doing so. Next is a law that I don't really care for, though the sentiment of protecting the weak is much appreciated. 'Trespassing is not allowed,' can be a tad annoying from time to time, because even if the road are really busy I can't shortcut through people's gardens, but there is plenty of public space to use to get out of the way if necessary. The next two have to do with what is expected of me to benefit from these first seven, and the final one is not all that relevant, as I don't recall seeing a single slave anywhere on the streets. All in all, a good set of rules. It's good to live here, and well worth working for."
Hornet
How would you like to call me?

Words: 30542
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2013, 10:56 am
Race: Pycon
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Lyn'nice on September 1st, 2013, 8:57 pm

1st of Fall 513AV

Lyn'nice approched the gate. She could already see some of the beautiful plants she would take care of. she was so lost in the greenery that the guards took her by surprise.
"Welcome, traveler. Here is a scroll of welcome from the city. It contains a list of our laws, a map of the city, and some advertisements from local businesses that sponsor these scrolls to be made. You can feel free to come in if you agree to our laws and turn this scroll back in when you leave so we can reuse it."
Lyn'nice flashed a smile,"Certainly I agree to your laws, and thanks for the scroll!" She said happily. It was time to start her new life.
Lyn'nice
Player

Words: 62054
Joined roleplay: August 31st, 2013, 11:28 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tobias on September 2nd, 2013, 1:53 am

;)
On the 3rd of Fall, 513 Years After the Valterrian.

“Hello there, can I help you with anything? Here is a scroll of welcome from the city. It contains a list of our laws, a map of the city, and some advertisements from local businesses that sponsor these scrolls to be made. You can feel free to come in if-”

“Yes, yes, I know. If I agree to the rules and turn the scroll back in. I’ve been here before.”

The sea’s gentle winds broke across the back of a man, lashed tall and thin, with skin almost as sunburned as dark as his clothes. Tobias carried naught by a pack strung across his back and a lute to hand. A smile shone like honey beneath dark brown eyes to show that Tobias had meant no disrespect by his words, while a hand reached up to accept the scroll with murmured thanks.

He gave it a cursory glance. “Nothing’s changed as far as I can tell…” he said cavalierly as he perused. The waves behind him roared in his ears as he read, and it almost seemed like a call asking Tobias to return to the sea he had sailed for the good majority of a season.

The journey hither had been a very middle-of-the-road sort of voyage. In his time as passenger Tobias had seen both much worse and much better. The summer waves had broken with little resistance against the Light of Valkalah’s prow, and though rain had swollen the sky every now and again no true storm had barred their passage. By the end of the season, temperatures had dropped considerably, but the first days of the voyage had almost been downright pleasant.

Now, with Summer to his back and Fall threatening, Tobias had finally reached the second home of the Akalak. Riverfall perched above on the cliff like an oversized bird of prey, famously bisected by that large torrent of water that gave the city’s its name. And it was beautiful.

Behind the blue-skinned guide who had greeted him a stuttering path led from the port up the cliff face and to the city proper. That was his destination. Perhaps it was here, in Riverfall, that he would finally find what he was looking for – her, and a home.

The echoes of a thousand thoughts such as this, said at the gates of a thousand cities, rebounded inside his head. Yes, he had had such hopes dashed before, but he wasn’t down for the count just yet.

Tobias’s mind abruptly returned to the present, and to the Akalak man who still waited on his answer. “Thank you for your help,” Tobias said, “but I think I got it from here.”
Tobias
Love itself shall slumber on

Words: 31340
Joined roleplay: August 27th, 2013, 6:17 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Koa Pond on September 12th, 2013, 4:53 am

3rd of Fall 513, 6th Bell

The ferry Koa rode upon steadily approached The Sea Gates. Cold, crisp winds nipped at the cheeks of the ferry's occupants as they first saw the city embedded in natural beauty sitting in the light of very young dawn. All were in awe as the towers, life, and flowing nature and water came together and made a breath taking view.

Koa and his mother came off the ferry, hand in hand. The youth of the day made the city relatively quiet, a simple shadow of the bustling that occurred later in the day. They took a moment to look around before they were approached by an Akalak, "Here is a scroll of welcome from the city. It contains a list of our laws, a map of the city, and some advertisements from local businesses that sponsor these scrolls to be made. You can feel free to come in if you agree to our laws and turn this scroll back in when you leave so we can reuse it."

Koa thanked the Akalak and told his mother in Common what the Akalak had said and what was on the scroll. They smiled, gave a formal nod of agreement and entered the city. Koa would see to it that his mother found housing and she would send her son off into the world. He was going to make his way in the world himself now.
Koa Pond
Retired

Words: 3862
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2013, 7:14 pm
Race: Human

Postby Einarr on September 14th, 2013, 2:42 am

Fall 1 Riverfall 513 AV
Einarr made his way towards the cities gates holding his crimson cloak around him, the hood shielding his eyes from the glare of the afternoon sun. Each step he took reminded him of the cracked soles of his feet, weary from his journey to Riverfall. But at last now he was in reach of some sort of rest. As he drew closer to the gates the guards stopped him in his tracks.
"Hello traveler, Here is a scroll of welcome from the city. It contains a list of our laws, a map of the city, and some advertisements from local businesses that sponsor these scrolls to be made. You can feel free to come in if you agree to our laws and turn this scroll back in when you leave so we can reuse it."
"Thank you." Einarr said with a slight nod of his head as he walked into the city. He was looking forward to see what this city had to offer.
Einarr
Player

Words: 9770
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2013, 6:00 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Selva on September 18th, 2013, 10:20 am

Day 2, Season of Fall, 513 AV
Selva had been traveling for quite some time. It felt like it was late in the day, though at this point she couldn't really tell where they were. She had been traveling with different caravans, traders, and adventurers, or anyone who would be willing to help guide her to the city of Riverfall.

After a few more bells, she was told that they had arrived outside the city. The leader of the trade group she was with offered to take her in the city, but Selva declined, wanting to make the last few steps herself. She was helped off her horse, and immediately began to get a feel for the area. All of the people around the gate making noise gave her an easy sense of what the land looked like.

When Selva approached the gate, a tall man offered her a scroll saying "
"Welcome, traveler. Here is a scroll of welcome from the city. It contains a list of our laws, a map of the city, and some advertisements from local businesses that sponsor these scrolls to be made. You can feel free to come in if you agree to our laws and turn this scroll back in when you leave so we can reuse it." Once the man had finished, Selva replied
"Thank you, but I can not read" pointing to her head band as she spoke. The man went over the laws, and Selva agreed to follow them all. She also asked for directions to housing. The man gave her specific directions to a housing for Konti, and so she headed off, making sure to take note of different land marks on the way to begin memorizing the city.
Let me help you.
Thought
Kontinese
Common
Tukant
Selva
The Blind Healer

Words: 3970
Joined roleplay: September 17th, 2013, 8:33 am
Character sheet

Postby Alia Beaudouin on September 18th, 2013, 11:42 am

4th of Summer 513
13th Bell

Alia tugged down on the tight Katinu she had worn for her journey. She could see the great waterfall now, the one on which Riverfall had been based upon. It was a beautiful and majestic sight, really. All the wonder and beauty of a power of a massive waterfall packed into a city. Alia couldn't even believe she was still here, it had been a long ride, and her mother's wind eagle was near exhaustion. Alia had flown all the way from Wind Reach to Riverfall on her Mother's eagle, Marizal. The huge and sturdy eagle had insured a safe, and long, ride to Riverfall.

Alia was going to enjoy being here, in a new city. Even though it was against her mother's wishes, she was going to enjoy Riverfall, being an half-Inarta in a city outside of Windreach. It was new, adventurous, and she was sure if she kept faith, it would go her way. Alia leaned back again, keeping a firm grip around her mother's body, so as she didn't fall. Alia felt the wind rush through her long red locks, twirling them with both a gentle but firm hand, as the wind always had. Today, she joined Riverfall.

As the eagle set down just before the gates to Riverfall, Alia had second thoughts. What if I end up homeless? Will I even get a job? Will I starve to death? She shook her head. No time to think of such silly thoughts now she was already here. She strode across to meet the guards, and as soon as they noticed her, the first guard stuck out his beefy hand, allowing her to take the scroll from within his palm. The guard had a rough voice,
"Welcome, traveler. Here is a scroll of welcome from the city. It contains a list of our laws, a map of the city, and some advertisements from local businesses that sponsor these scrolls to be made. You can feel free to come in if you agree to our laws and turn this scroll back in when you leave so we can reuse it."
Alia skimmed the scroll, it was nearly always the same rules, no littering, no kidnapping, no murdering, etc.
She handed the scroll back to the guard, "I agree to your laws."
Alia took one final look back, to see a mighty eagle and its rider just disappearing onto the horizon. It had officially begun.
This was her new life.
Riverfall was calling.
And Alia was going to answer.
Last edited by Alia Beaudouin on September 30th, 2013, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alia Beaudouin
Not everything is better in red

Words: 167069
Joined roleplay: August 6th, 2013, 7:44 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Levi Remilian on September 24th, 2013, 9:06 pm

Levi Remilian

22nd of Fall, 513 AV

Somewhere in a bunkroom onboard a ship approaching the docks of Riverfall, Levi Remilian was fast asleep on an old threadbare bunk in a small compartment. The busy bustling sounds of sailors and deckhands working to was muffled out by the compartments closed door. Levi would have stayed asleep until docking, but Naya, the ghost girl who saw the spirtist as her big brother, had other plans as she silently floated up to his sleeping form.

"Levi... oh Levi~" Naya peered down at the young man's face with expectancy, ethereal green eyes lit with a playful light. No response. Slightly flustered by Levi's unresponsiveness, the ghost partially materialized herself, her form now somewhat more solid looking, and poked Levi's forehead with her index finger. Though hardly dangerous, Naya's materialized touch was still uncomfortable enough to make Levi bolt up from his sleep, heart racing for a tick. Frantically looking about the room with still sleepy but startled eyes, the spiritst's gaze eventually fell upon Naya. Levi sighed tiredly, rubbing the spot Naya touched, "I'm awake Naya, what is it?"

"The captain said the fog is thinner this morning big brother, so..." Naya giggled excitedly and floated up to Levi's eye level, "We're going into Riverfall today!"

Levi chuckled softly and smiled at the ghost, "Oh we are hmm?" Yes! Finally! Inside, the spiritist was leaping for joy; inside because they was no way in Hai he would actually leap for joy. Freedom from this floating prison and all those loud brash sailors. Staying out in the bay for three days just looking at the beautiful view of Riverfall was plain tantalizing and frustrating in itself, and the two can finally see and experience the city for themselves. But wait, if they were going into port today, that means the boat is going to start moving again, so-

"Naya, the boat's going to start sailing again. You know the drill."

The ghost girl nodded, though with a rather weary and annoyed expression as she floated up to a wall in the room. Instead of phasing through, oddly enough Naya simply rested against the wall as if she were solid. Levi smirked a little at Naya's pouting; she didn't like having to stay against the soulmist smeared wall as she had been on it for the whole boat trip, but it was the only way to keep the ethereal being traveling along with the boat.

Several bells of uneventfulness passed, aside from Naya's attempts to liven the room up with another story about "big purple warriors", the kind of which Levi had heard countless times from her approaching the city of Akalaks. Finally, the ship reached the port, and Levi with Naya blinking right ahead of him, stepped out of the room unto the ship deck. Now up close to Riverfall's majestic waterfall and buildings which contrasted greatly with Black Rock's bleak black and white buildings, the pair could only just stare with admiration on Levi's part and absolute amazement on Naya's part before disembarking off the ship.

The young spiritist slowly walked down the dock, trying to look calm and unbewildered by the sights, contrasting with Naya looking at every building and passerbyer with large awe-filled eyes, especially the Akalak. Any stranger passing by would have given the unusual couple of the young human male and ghost a look of either curiosity or wariness, as Levi somewhat expected. After all, this was not Black Rock; they were outside of Dira's domain. Eventually, Levi noticed an Akalak walking towards them; at first, he casually dismissed the man until the giant purple Akalak walked right up to the now miniscule looking Levi and even more tiny Naya as the Akalak towered over them, glaring down at them with a stern gaze, obviously noting the presence of the ghost with this human.

"Hello there, can I help you with anything? Here is a scroll of welcome from the city. It contains a list of our laws, a map of the city, and some advertisements from local businesses that sponsor these scrolls to be made. You can feel free to come in if you agree to our laws and turn this scroll back in when you leave so we can reuse it."

A little shaken by the Akalak's sudden introduction, the young man took the scroll with a short "Thank you". Levi quickly scanned through the scroll's contents, with Naya peeking over his shoulder as well. "Very well, I do agree to the laws." The Akalak turned away from the spiritist-ghost couple soon after Levi said this, and so Levi and Naya continued on into Riverfall.
ImageImageImage
Levi Remilian
Spiritist of Dira

Words: 154985
Joined roleplay: July 7th, 2013, 12:23 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

PreviousNext