Closed [Ivory Aerie] Pillow Talk (Kovac, Alori)

Vira and Alori have a Sleepover....And Kovac wasn't invited?!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

[Ivory Aerie] Pillow Talk (Kovac, Alori)

Postby Lavira on September 18th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Timestamp: Fall 80, 513

Kovac had left with Mohya well before sunrise that morning, the ever looming challenge of finding game this late in the season increased by the constant and dangerous winds that battered Wind reach. Worse was the fact that there was a storm brewing over the Bay, large, sickly yellow clouds bubbling and broiling threateningly while lightning flashed within. It was a very foreboding sign, worsened by the deep chill that had settled over the volcano city.

But that was many hours passed and Vira had spent the day down at the ranges to hone her bowmanship some more. Darkness now settled like a chilly blanket over the realm and the cold that befell Wind Reach since early season was creeping back in. The sweet smell of decaying leaves had left the valleys and forests far below some time ago though many a leaf still clung to the few deciduous trees in the region.

Presently, the teen had fetched her dinner from the Kitchens and now was making her way back to her quarters, humming something she'd heard one of the various musicians playing on their fiddle. It was a well known song for Wind Reach, many of the citizens knowing it and something all Yasi were taught at a young age. Of all the tunes that came and went, this one seemed to fit singularly as the Wind Reach Anthem.

"By the glistening peaks and by the thundering bay
Where the sun shines bright on Skyinarta
Where I and the Endal ever want to stay
On the fiery fiery peaks of Skyinarta"

She wore her katinu currently, the fur-lined garment wrapped tightly around the slender rider as she made her way through the warrens towards the Endal Aeries. Vira wasn't sure what time Kovac would be back so it meant it was just she and Mohya's mate for the evening and the only thought the teen had was settling in for a cold night, maybe taking a soak in the bath, and enjoying the peace and quiet that so often was missed when the winds filled your senses. Of course, said winds were still bashing all sides of the mountain and none knew when it would abate. A couple of the less wise Wind Eagles had tried take offs into the wind one time when the winds were fiercest and had wound up bashed and broken, plummeting to their deaths after being smashed into the walls of the mountain repeatedly.

Vira did not expect to run into anyone she knew so it was sure to be a pleasant evening full of peace and quiet.

-------------------------------------------------

The flight had been long and cold and very, very bumpy, the Wind Eagle not particularly pleased that this man her human was seeing wanted to go out in all of this. But the need to continue trying to fill the already low stores was of high priority and Mohya's comfort would have to wait (no matter how much she wanted to stay in with her mate and Vira, not this mutt.

Nonetheless, the bird had negotiated with the young woman to be rewarded appropriately for this boon (a manual preening by the teenager herself) and left Wind Reach with Kovac in tow. The flight itself was beyond tumultuous as Mohya searched for a smooth plane to fly in. Their destination was only a couple hours flight from the city, a location that other riders had reported success catching mountain sheep in. The steppes were being stalked by larger predators currently so it was too dangerous for the terrestrial hunters to try.

Presently, it was late afternoon and Mohya waited in the clearing she had already arranged with the Inarta to meet her at with any kills he made. The wind pulled at her quad-colored feathers, and the eagle often found herself turning her head out of the wind, tucking it beneath a wing to protect her large eyes. Where was that blasted hunter? Vira best be ready for more than a preening after this hellflight day!
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Words: 596082
Joined roleplay: April 11th, 2013, 7:00 pm
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Overlored (1) 2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Alori Sai on September 21st, 2013, 11:48 pm

A light squeal could be heard on the steps to the Endal Aeries as Alori's tiny form quickly hurried up the wall. The teen had decided to surprise Lavira and show up for a sleepover. The Endal had told her of how the huge place was a bit overwhelming and so she decided to stay the night so her friend wouldn't be so lonely. Snuggled warmly in her raven colored katinu, the tiny girl headed up the steps caring a few items in her backpack and Skye in his cage.

"Stop squawking at me, we're almost there okay?"

Alori decided to bring Skye along also, he made such a fuss if she was away from him over night, and she had to admit that she'd miss him as well. However, she did wonder if her Endal friend would be ok with her bringing him. "You behave yourself Skye or I'm not letting you out when we get inside." The gyrfalcon gave an irritated chirp and lightly flapped his wings half way in protest.

"Alright, be that way and you'll spend the next day and night right where you are." she smiled adding a whistling chirp at the end as if she had been singing the whole time.

There was another chirp but Alori didn't bother to answer and moved faster up the trail. It was early but the weather was already getting worse and the teen didn't want to be caught out in another storm if she could help it. Finally after more climbing she reached Lavira's place and knocked on the door and waited. "I hope she's here because...yea this would be a wasted trip."

x
Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Words: 442256
Joined roleplay: May 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Kovac on September 26th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Only the pressing need for more kills compelled the sardonic hunter to venture a hunt that day. Everyone felt the growing tension as Fall had progressed. The weather had been vicious and unpredictable, Skyinarta had suffered quaking, and the purity of the water supply had been suspect. The stress had even reached the usually unconcerned half-breed. Vira had offered Mohya as a ride. The Avora and Wind Eagle had kept their acquaintance at a safe distance. The great raptor did not much care for Kovac, it seemed, though most of the eagles viewed the mongrel much the same way, as if they saw him as less than Inartan, and therefore unworthy to mount Skyinartan's Wind Eagles. But Lavira's eagle tolerated the hunter's presence in the Aerie.

Mohya was even less enthusiastic about ferrying Kovac once they saw the dawning sky. Ill-tempered the clouds appeared, as if Zulrav bore some slight against the people of the mountain. The journey to the hunting grounds proved challenging enough for Mohya that she had no time to taunt Kovac, and once they landed, the Avora could easily see the insistence that the hunter make quick his work so they could return to the warmth of the aerie.

The hunt was not easy, the erratic wind playing havoc with arrow flight, the game antsy and unpredictable in their movement, as if they too felt uneasy at the pending weather. Kovac did managed to bag a ram sheep with an arrow through the heart and a brace of three rabbits. He labored to drag the kills to the edge of the clearing, where the eagle met him with a steely, unhappy glare. Once Kovac and the game were secured, as well as a couple of waterskins he had filled from a stream (Kovac still did not trust the water at Wind Reach, bringing back what he could from hunts), they lifted off.

Once airborne, Kovac chilled to the bone as he clung to the harness, the tumultuous winds beat against the massive bird. Her rider had to keep his head down, one hand keeping the katinu hood over his head as they headed towards distant Skyinarta.
x
Kovac
Snarky Mongrel

Words: 534544
Joined roleplay: March 1st, 2010, 7:19 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Overlored (1)

Postby Lavira on September 27th, 2013, 11:54 am

Vira rounded the bend leading to her shared quarters, humming to herself still, when she spotted Alori at the door. Surprised, the teen hurried up to herself-proclaimed sister (nothing Skye in his cage as she slipped by her). "Hey, Alori, what's up? I thought you had a hunt today?"

The young woman didn't hesitate in getting her door open, the raucous screeches of an angry harrier heard from inside accompanying the calmer calls of a far larger bird that wasn't Mohya. "And why do you have Skye in a cage? He certainly doesn't look too pleased, heh." Vira nodded down at the gyrfalcon, grinning a little. "Why don't you come in, eh? I was just about to have dinner. Kovac's not going to be home for a few bells, I imagine, so it's just me and the kids. Mohya flew him to a hunting grounds." She got the door open and slipped inside, holding it open for Alori.

The Ivory Aerie was cozy, rich with the feel of a working woman and her man. The white-washed walls shone comfortably, a hearth crackling with fecal coals which gave the chamber a slightly sweet scent while the less pleasant odors were burnt quickly away. The large, stuffed couch beckoned, a perfect place to relax upon with a good book. The braziers were mostly dark but that was fine with the crackling fire that kept the aerie warmed.

"Take a seat, make yourself at home. Lemme go feed Tulaj and Qeeta; you want to put Skye in the extra mew I have? You know how territorial Tulaj is." The woman went to the kitchen and dropped the sack atop the table, fetching a wrapped log and laying it aside. Her own food was then pulled out and set aside as well, Vira grabbing a knife from the block and cutting the string around the log. The dark red meat of an elk was exposed, still bloody (as fresh as Vira could get). She went about cutting this up into pieces and making two piles. One was much smaller than the other, though, and the smaller one was put into one bowl, at which point she gave a sharp whistle.

From her own bedroom, Tulaj came soaring, screeching into the commons room. He made a dive for Alori, taking out his aggrivation on the unsuspecting ginger then headed for the kitchen, alighting upon the larger pile instead of the smaller. "Ack, Tulaj, no you know that's not yours!" She shooed him off, got a finger bit in the process, and finally got ahold of his feet, taking the smaller bowl and presenting it to the bird. "This is yours. Always has been, always will you daft wretch. Now git, to your perch now." She chirped a command again, tossing the harrier as he took off from her hand to land on a perch over the door.

Vira attached the bowl to a catch beside the perch where the bird proceeded to gorge as if he was literally starving. Once this was out of the way, the teen gathered up the remaining meat back into the wrap it had been in and headed to the unlocked spare room. She paused, looking back at Alori with her single green-gold orb, pursed lips in thought. "Come on, you wanna see her?" She finally offered, the other 'her' clearly referring to Qeeta.

OOCDSidn't have time to finish for Kovacs half. Will do it on break
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on September 28th, 2013, 12:06 am

"Oh I was but Durveth was being all fussy because our last hunt didn't go so well. It took us forever to find anything and when we did, it got away. I'm still not too comfortable shooting from so high up and when she gets testy she wants to dive bomb on me and I can't shoot like that. Hello? What am I? A bird? So yea..here I am. Plus I wanted to spend some time with you."

Skye screeched as the woman came closer, puffing out his chest and flapping his wings as the door opened and he heard the squawks from inside. "Skye is just being Skye." Alori said with a huff. "He hates it when I leave him at home alone, but acts up whenever I put him in his cage to go out. It's not like I do it often. If he wants to come with me, then he's going to have to deal."

The bird chirped and snapped his sharp beak at the cage bars in front of him in protest. He was a outspoken raptor, and given his size he could also be a bully to smaller birds, which was another reason she had him in a cage. Most days Skye was somewhat well behaved, but he wasn't used to being around other raptors, Durveth dwarfed him in size, but he wasn't afraid of her. Wouldn't be the first time that he went after a wind eagle.

She stepped inside and quickly sat Skye's cage down. He was a heavy bird on his own, and adding his weight to that of the cage was even worse. The gyrfalcon screeched again and ruffled his feathers in irritation. "Oh stop it you big baby." the teen ordered and turned way. "So Vira, how is it living with Kovac huh? Anything happen that I should know about?" She flashed her hazel eyes towards the woman and gently curled her tongue between her teeth.

Alori knew Lavira to be a lady, but also knowing what a lady killer Kovac was supposed to be, she figured that something had happened...at least a little. She still remembered the time that she danced with him at the club. The guy surely wasn't the stay at home and read type and from the way that he danced against her, she was surprised that she made it out the club with her clothing still on. "So...tell me. I'm gonna keep asking Vira, and if you don't tell me then I'll just ask Kovac."

With a soft yelp, the teen ducked and slightly covered her head when Tulaj tried to take it off. Sadly she was used to be attacked by raptors, and for some reason Skye wanted to make a meal out of her toes when she didn't feed him fast enough. "Tulaj! stop that, you're as bad as Skye. " The tiny Endal leaned against the wall and watched her friend care for her family. It was good to see that she wasn't the only one getting bit. "So where's the other mew? I guess I can take Skye out..if he behaves." Following Lavira, Alori nodded to her question. She was yet to meet the newest addition to the family.

" Yea.. ok."

x
Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lavira on September 28th, 2013, 12:52 am

Alori's pressuring for info on her relationship with Kovac made the girl color as she stood by the door to the mews that had come with the new home. "I really don't think it's any of your business!" She snapped, turning quickly away to hide her crimson and highly embarrassed face from her friend, opening the door to let her in.

The room was fully decked out with three mews and a pair of sturdy stands on the ground. The smaller mew was more Skye sized, medium and cozy. Not meant for flight, but room enough for a medium bird of prey to hop around comfortably enough. It was the other mew that was more interesting, a pretty young golden eagle visible on the stand inside the cage. It looked at them with bright rust-colored eyes, the golden feathers of its head raised slightly in anxiety.

"That's Qeeta. I rescued her a few work periods ago. Uhm...mid season I think? She'd gotten her foot caught in a hunters abandoned trap and a lynx was trying to get a hold of her. She's still pretty shy and nervous about being here, but I'm nursing her back to health right now. See there?" She gestured with her right hand at the eagles left foot. The appendage was wrapped in bandages and held slightly off the ground as the eagle stared at them. It gave a nervous hiss, shifted to the edge of the stand and hopped deftly onto the ground to walk away from the gate. She had learned enough since being brought here to move away from the entrance when it was feeding time.

"You wanna feed her?" She offered her adopted sister. "She won't attack you, I promise. Just open the door and attach it to the feed-clip there at the bottom. Let me just clean out the nest first. She's not used to any of this still so I have to change the hay more often. See there?" She gestured to a box just right for a golden eagle to nest in. "She can hop in and bed down there." If Alori agreed, Vira would hand over the food before opening the eagle's mew and stepping inside, keeping her seeing side to the bird as she approached the bed box. The hay was checked, a handful pulled out and a fresh one put in from a stock to the left of the spare room's door. The dirty hay was tossed into a bin.

"If you want, I can help you wish Skye. I may not have Tatani like that bratty Yasi, but I've dealt with crazy raptors before too."
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on September 29th, 2013, 3:03 am

"So..what? You're not going to tell me? Aww, you're so mean Vira, I mean..Gods I would tell you if it were me."

Alori pouted innocently, biting her lower lip as she swooned in place slightly. She meant to get the information, and she would even if she had to ask Kovac. But the teen wanted to hear it from Lavira, she was her sister after all, and if she couldn't tell her about her life, relationships and all, then what was the point of having their close bonded friendship?

"Come on Vira, I'm asking nicely and I promise I won't say anything to him about it. No matter what you tell me."

She stepped inside the room then, seeing the nicely built insides and the mews sitting in place for raptors. The Endal really did have it well off, and now she was apart of that elite group. Alori gasped softly as she saw the golden eagle and half covered her mouth to prevent a louder squeal. "Awww, she is so beautiful...Vira she is wonderful!"

She stared at the golden raptor and slowly stepped closer so that she wouldn't frighten it. "Ooh, the poor thing. You must be so excited to bring her home?" Slowly, the girl lifted her hand and reached for the bird through the cage, knowing from past experience not to reach for the front of the head. Alori moved closer to the bird's side and tried to pet it. The suddenly hiss and dance pulled a yelp from the teen and she jumped back.

"Okay..not ready to be touched yet. I can deal."

She was surprised that Lavira would ask her to feed the eagle, or she was more surprised that she was about to say yes. "Alright, I can try...doesn't look like she likes me though." Alori took the food and waited for Lavira to take care of the bedding before it was her turn to step inside the cage. The teen kept an eye on the eagle as she attached food to the feed-clip at the bottom as she had been instructed to do. "Hah, that wasn't so bad.." she said softly and took a step back. "Oh, yea sure you can help. You should get to know him anyway."

x
Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lavira on September 29th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Vira waited until the eagle was settled and the mew was secured again before going for Skye. "Hm...if he's really antsy about getting in and out of a cage, we may be better off hooding him. One second, I'll grab one of mine."

The teen hurried out of the room, making Tulaj squawk in displeasure when she passed him, and disappeared into her room. In the chest at the foot of the bed, Vira began digging through it until she found the extra hood she kept. It would be a little on the small side for the gyrfalcon, but it should work. She hurried back, grinning and presenting it. "Tada. Okay, grab his cage. We'll go inside the mew." she nodded to the empty one opposite of the eagles. Vira opened the door and stepped in first, ducking and then crouching low once inside. "Face his door away from the exit and when you open it, I'll slip the hood on quick as a whistle."

Vira waited for her friend to do this then, just like she'd said it would be, slipped her hand in (got a good nip on the hand not holding the hood) then quickly slid it on, wincing when Skye nipped her again. "Hey! Stop that!" She took care not to get pinched with those talons and grabbed his feet, removing him quickly and setting him on the perch.

"Alright, taking his hood off. Go on out and I'll back out with you." She counted to three aloud and slipped his hood off, nearly getting bit a third time when he lunged at her but they were both out and the gate was closed just in time.

"Phew! What a handful, Alori." She said leaving the room to return the hood to her supply chest. Once that was all done and she came back into the commons, Vira grabbed her own meal and flopped down on the plush couch. It was well sized and more than comfortable, several nights having spent just relaxing with Kovac upon. Opening the bag, she pulled out the leaf-wrapped roast and stone bowl that had the hearty vegetable stew in it along with a handful of rolls.

"Oh cool, look at this! Must be a new thing the masons have come up with." She eyed the funny container that resembled a cylinder. It had a metal hinge on one side and a seal of what looked like wax or resin with a metal latch. The bottom half of the container was deeper than the top half so it wouldn't spill when you opened it. She popped the top and took a big whiff. "I wonder what they're calling it?" She said casually before taking a sip and mming in delight, offering some to Alori.

Only now that she'd begun to eat did the teen finally, FINALLY, answer her prodding about Kovac and hers relationship. "Be that as it may, Alori, I'm not really a kiss and tell." She paused and took a bite out of the roll, shifting so she could tuck a leg under her and relax a little more on the couch. "But...I guess you're close enough that you wouldn't go blabbing about us." There, finally conceding her point.

"I know about his, uhm, infamous history. He's had his share of lovers, probably too many than should be good for anyone, but I understand why he did. If he wants to tell you about that, he will, but it isn't fair for me to say." She paused for a bite of the roast now, mm'ing happily and saying something about loving being Endal just for the food. "That aside, it's nice having someone share so much space with. I mean, he's really witty and funny and charming. I don't get all of his jokes sometimes, kind of like I don't get yours. But he knows how honest I am and I know how sincere he is and...well..." She picked at one of the rolls in her lap, not sure if she should say. "I...I love him, Alori. After what Garren did to me, I wasn't sure what was going to happen, and then there he was.

"I guess it was his compassion that woke me up. He helped find some of what got left in that pit last season, and Mohya helped find some more. I don't have as many nightmares when he's here. I feel safe with him. And I am able to accept his promiscuity because he is able to accept my handicaps." The girl raised her face to Alori, the truth clear in her eyes. It went so much deeper than love. It was safe to say Cheva was watching the duo very closely right now, waiting for her summons.

Vira continued, laying it all out there. "Did I ever tell you what had happened during that quake and storm last season? I don't remember; we talked about a lot of stuff when that noreaster left us stranded early in the season."
Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Alori Sai on September 30th, 2013, 8:02 pm

Alori wasn't much of a falconer in the traditional way. Her relationship with Skye was more of mother and son than falconer and raptor. The teen did the best she could with him, bought him the gear and food that was best suited for a bird of his type, and hoped for the best. As it was, he had been given to her as a surprise gift, and she hadn't expected to be caring for a raptor so soon. But the moment she first saw him, the girl fell for the snarky gyrfalcon and couldn't part with him.

The Avora at the time, didn't have an formal training and everything that she learned was from trail and error. Standing there watching her sister properly handle the falcon with such easy and care made her smile. There were little things that Lavira did that reminded Alori of how much she had to learn, such as to bring his hood. She had one at home, but she forgot to bring it with her, as well as the rest of his gear. "Woo!" she smiled when the experienced falconer returned with the hood and laid out their plan.

"Alright lets do it. I just hope he doesn't bite you. Be careful." Luckily for the teen, Skye hadn't bitten her as much as he should have, but given the nature of their relationship she was saved a few bites. Alori stepped away to get the cage where Skye had been waiting impatiently and squawked loudly. "Ok, ok I'm here." Picking him up, she returned to the room with the mews and did as Lavira instructed so that she could fit the hood on.

"Skye stop it now, you're being mean!" Alori commanded. Skye wasn't used to being around other people much. He lived most of his life with Alori and saw no one else for many days at a time. Still, Alori couldn't help but giggle a bit. She was having fun, all this, handling Skye, seeing her sister. It was a good day. "Okay I'm ready, go go!"

Alori gave a soft squeal as they darted out of the cage and closed it back. Laughing it off, the young Endal followed Lavira back through her home to where they would rest on her couch. "I know wow, he's not normally so bad. It must be because he's here with your babies." Sighing loudly, the girl flopped down on the couch and relaxed. Looking up and around at the place, she noticed something about the Endal homes. They were all built alike, but there were things in each that allowed them to stand out from others. Lavira's home had been made for a falconer, while her's was more fashioned for lovers apparently.

"Hey that is neat." Alori replied to the comment about the cylinder container. I don't know what they call it but it's kinda cute." She took a whiff herself first and smiled, before taking a drink after it was offered to her. Hazel eyes flashed to the woman again when she started to speak, and finally Alori would get her answer. The teen turned her knees together and shifted on the couch so that she could look at Lavira while still laying comfortably on her side.

Falling silent, she listened intently to the story that her sister told her with all the flair of a woman who enjoyed gossip. Alori knew of the snarky man's past also, but she hadn't judged him for it and if Lavira was fine with it, their relationship should do fine. The teen sighed and awed as she listened, pausing for a moment to take another sip from the container as the confession continued. "Oh Gods Vira! Really? You love him?" Her voice was higher now as she bounced up on the couch and started wide eyed at the teen next to her.

This sort of love was new to her, and Alori was yet to experience anything even close. But she could see it in her friend's eyes, she could hear it in her voice, and she could also feel it inside. This was real..."Wow Vira...that's so wonderful. I'm happy for you." She reached out and gave the teen a quick hug , before settling back into her seat. The subject grew more serious now, and although she didn't have all the details, Alori knew it was hard for her to talk about what happened that season. "You told me a bit, no details and stuff. But it's ok if you don't wanna say more."

x
Alori Sai
Child of Ivak

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lavira on September 30th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Taking back the strange cylinder, Vira took a swig of the broth and then used some of the roll to scoop out a mouthful of veggies, chewing them up before telling it all.

"Well I guess it kind of started back before that. I...er...I don't really drink or dance or party that much, you know. Of course you know. You were the one who dragged me to the bloody Inclement that night after I said I didn't want to. Anyways, when summer starts, I always go to the Clam for a little private dinner. I save up all season for the night and have me a nice meal, couple glasses of wine, and then hitch a ride back to the city in the morning. It had just started when a man named Lander (he works with Evie, the seamstress) decided to start bugging me. I don't remember much of the night after the initial event...I...I got pretty drunk, that's about all I recall until morning when I woke up in that Akalak's tent.

I kind of panicked at that point and thought I'd gone and done something royally stupid like sleep with the guy while drunk...it probably would have been better if I had because he seduced me when I was still fairly hung over." Vira's tone grew sad and heavy as her meal remained untouched during this part, her one-eyed gaze on her lap. "It wasn't fair of him to take advantage like that but I fell for it like a stupid girl and the results hurt me deeply."

"Then the quake sent all the birds in the sky midseason and one of the mama birds I took care of as a nesting attendant knocked me out of the aerie I'd been working in. I was lucky to survive the fall, let alone the next three days. I'd lost consciousness for a while and drifted in and out after some bells. I kind of remember waking and checking myself for injuries. I knew my legs were broken and my side was on fire. I remember gas in the air and a lot of heat...but there wasn't anywhere for me to go. I couldn't walk and I wasn't awake long enough to call for help."

The teen frowned, her eyes closed as she tried to remember what had happened. "There was a ghost boy...Andry I think his name was? And then another aftershock. It was sometime during that that Iosha appeared. There might have been an explosion, but I was in so much pain I couldn't focus on much. Iosha did what she could while we were down there. I don't...I don't really remember how we got out. I know there'd been a storm...and the water in the pit got really high...and there were ropes."

Vira shook her head and leaned back, opening her eyes again. "A lot of it's really fuzzy. What I do recall is when we finally got back up to a place that we could be reached by an eagle, Garren hadn't been there. Nobody'd seen him since he...since he saw me fall. He had been in the area, Iosha confirmed that. I went to see him and then the quake struck." The girls eyes teared up and she shifted uncomfortably. "He never came to the infirmary. He never came to see if Iwas even alive. I felt so...so abandoned and used, like a petching Dek, Alori." Her head lolled towards her, frowning. "And then Kovac sent me a letter while I was still in the infirmary. He wanted to ask me out but hadn't seen me about. Wanted to know if I'd still been practicing my archery. I was too afraid and ashamed to answer him. He'd flirted a little on the ranges but I wouldn't bite then. I wasn't in a position where I could afford to serve in that manner. It's hard enough for a half-blind Chiet to work where I was working already."

The paused long then, turning her head away and taking a deep breath. "But I relented and once they cleared me to go, sent him a note back that I would go on the date. He took me to the Inclement and we drank...and danced...and then I ran almost screaming. I'm still nervous about going into places like that with no good exits and all that stone just waiting to fall..." The woman shuddered and took a drink from the cylinder. "Well, Kovac caught back up with me and tried to get me to calm down. I was so mad and scared, I thought he was going to be just like Garren. I even accused him of it, and while he's never admitted it, I'm certain he must have thought he was going to get some that night. I might have if things hadn't gone the way they did. And had I, you and I wouldn't be friends like we are now; I probably wouldn't be sitting here even talking to you; we wouldn't love each other...

No, if he hadn't chased after me, I probably would have jumped at some point between then and the first of fall. Oh it was so hard, Alori. Every day was agony, most days still are. It's painful just getting onto Mohya. But during that period up until the last day of the season...Without Kovac, I would have let the pain take me back to that pit, and let it leave me there. I was so..." Her features scrunched in misery. "I was so lost, Alori." Vira turned her eye onto her friend, her sister.

"It horrified me that a man could take one little thing, something that should have been more special, and squash it and leave me ruined, a hollow husk of rice fit only to fester in a birds gullet. My very soul hurt, if that were possible. I'm sure things might have been different if the accident hadn't happened, too. But...it did...just like Kovac happened.

I can turn a blind eye on his history and foreign looks because he does the same for my unpleasant ones. I love him, Alori, because he sees the real me, not this realms expectation of me."

Here, Vira leaned over and embraced her friend tightly. "I'm weird, I know. I'm not really that funny but we all have our quirks, right? I'm glad to have you as a friend, too, though you're certainly a lot closer than simply a friend."

She turned it back to the previous subject matter then, gathering up the roast to take a few more bites of it. "The winter's going to be tough, you know. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more dek lost than usual this year. But...hey, can you keep a secret?"

Lavira
Monocular Exception

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next