Location [Syliras Location] Undeniable Interests

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Syliras Location] Undeniable Interests

Postby Gossamer on October 4th, 2009, 11:21 am

This highly unusual little shop is about the closest thing Syliras has to an actual bookstore. While its inventory is always changing (or getting lost in the sheer mass of curiosities avialable - or buried under filth), there is surely something for everyone. From the odd little artifacts Domniac sells, to the powders, potions, antiques, and 'magic items' - something in The Undeniable Interests will suit. The Undeniable Interests is a gem among the other obscure stores in Syliras. Although it had more than it's fair share of 'magical powders' and 'love potions', the little store also had an ounce of credibility. The shop provides a few varieties of real magical substances and quite a few useful texts. The owner is an odd man, likely a small time magician, in addition to an intelligent conman. The tiny shop is filled with shelves that have strange apparatuses and instruments covering every inch. The walkways in between isles are very narrow, so much so that most people would have to sidestep through them. The desk was the only thing remotely organized, though the owner is rarely found there. He's often out front in a rocking chair, or buried in the multiple piles of 'stuff' looking for something.

Cobwebs and dust cover everything. It's not hard to determine what items are new and what items have been there a while. One only needs to measure the dust and how far down or back in the pile the object is buried. There are no price tags on anything, and Dominac might very well charge one person one fee for a specific item, then forget and charge another person a totally different price on the very same thing. And while by and large the store is tiny - set into one of Syliras' many city walls - the sheer amount of stuff crammed into the space makes it feel like its been there a thousand years and is acres and acres big within.

Price List and NPCs

Price List
We have a wide variety of odd things for sale. If you are looking for something in particular, please feel free to ask for assistance. If you are not, please feel free to browse.

Books: Inquire
Maps: Inquire
Artifacts: Inquire
Potions: Inquire
Powders: Inquire
Obscure Components: Inquire
Rare Knowledge: Inquire
Ancient tongue lessons: 5 Gm per session

Dominac Ariva
ImageName:Dominac Ariva
Race: Human
DoB:
PoB: Syliras
Title: Shop owner
Skills: Archaeology: 89 pts, Cartography: 75 pts, Appraisal: 65 pts, Magecraft: 52 pts, Reimancy (Air): 25 pts, Flux: 30 pts, Glyphing: 62 pts, Copying: 73 pts, Calligraphy: 55 pts, Rhetoric: 54 pts, Salesmanship: 37 pts, Artifact Repair: 45 pts, Whip: 25 pts, Repelling: 21 pts.
Gnosis:Yshulis - 2
Graphomancy - 1
Lykata - 1
Additional Info:Known to be one of the oldest living humans in Syliras, Dominac Ariva is a retired scrounger. Having once been an intrepid explorer willing to sniff out any ruins in order to make that one 'great find', Dominac has ran across a great many artifacts in his day. Along with ancient magical devices, Dominac has also been known to collect rare books (he sells copies of them in his story) and is a known student of multiple kinds of magic. And not only is he a skilled copyist, but he does really incredible reproductions of maps also. Dominac is a wealth of information, though some say his mind is as dirty as his shop.

This location is moderated by Syliras' DS
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Re: [Syliras Location] The Undeniable Interests

Postby Cosette Merryweather on October 4th, 2009, 10:18 pm

Timestamp: 36th Day, Fall of 509 A.V.

Layers of dust upon dust greeted Cosette as she pushed the door open creating a plume of filth that prevented her from seeing anything for a few short moments. How someone could work in this kind of environment she didn't know. All she knew was that someone had to clean the shop sooner or later because someone was going to lose life or limb while navigating the Undeniable Interests at the rate the dust was collecting.

"Hello, I'm looking for a book that could teach me how to move faster..."
It took a lot of self-restraint to keep herself from finding a broom just so she could carve a clear path through the dirt but since she wasn't going to be paid to do that she repressed her obsessive-compulsive streak. "Is anyone in here? Anyone at all?" she was starting to think that maybe the shopkeeper was dead, it would explain why so much filth had gathered and why it almost seemed like nobody had occupied the shop since the Valterrian.

"Oh, I can't take this. This just isn't right." the girl shook her head and sighed.

Well then, since nobody was present it wouldn't hurt to at least do something about the dirt and the cobwebs. Maybe if the owner caught her in the act he would offer her a discount - or maybe she would find his rotting corpse underneath the pile of rubble at the corner...

The nuit retracted her steps and slipped outside of the shop only to come back an hour later with a long broom, an old sack of potatoes that she was fortunate enough to have obtained for free and a bucket of water which the neighbor had kindly lent her. After carefully tying her hair into a pony-tail, hiking up her skirt and tying the excess around her waist and rolling up her sleeves Cosette went about her business, first by creating a path between the shelves by shoveling dust and later by cleaning the actual floor with a moist rag.
The answer is more Body Building. -X.
Cosette Merryweather
Unyielding Optimism

Words: 69794
Joined roleplay: September 2nd, 2009, 10:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

Re: [Syliras Location] Undeniable Interests

Postby Nickorius on October 6th, 2009, 1:19 am

Cosette Merryweather

Dominic was rifling through a random pile of doo-dads in the back when he heard someone in the store calling out to him. The fact that there was a potential customer out there didn't really bother him, and he set his mind to ignore them. After all, he was very busy with his searching for that old gadget. What was it called? He couldn't quite remember the name, maybe that was in part due to his old age. He never forgot the names of the countless items he had when he was young...

His interest was again drawn to the storefront. Was that the same person still calling out to him? He ignored her for a few more minutes, but eventually gave in to the persistent customer. Leaving his pile of gizmos, he when out front to find a pale young girl, with something in her hands. A broom?!

"Noooo, no no no no." He cried, running over and waving his hands. "Don't do that! I had everything just so! It must not be disturbed!" He grabbed the broom away from the young girl. "Sorry, but I am very particular about my things."

He ended the confrontation, if it could be called that, with a smile, "So what was it that you needed?"
Nickorius
Harvester of Souls

Words: 13932
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Office

Postby Cosette Merryweather on October 6th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Secret :
OOC: I just wanted to buy a book on flux. However my character is obsessive so she will hound your store owner until he yields and allows her to clean the shop and organize his books.

A crease formed on Cosette's brow when the man wrenched the broom away from her hands. "I simply cannot allow this... this... filth to fester here! Aren't you worried about your health? We only live once..." well she hoped not but that wasn't the point. "You have to value your health! Have you ever heard of the adage;" and her hands shot out towards the broom, this time she was going to hold the broom in an iron vice. "Cleanliness is next to godliness! Be reasonable!" and then she would start tugging at the broom.

"Surely you would find things far easier if they were organized alphabetically, considering how thick this dust is how could you even tell that there isn't a bear trap right in front of you." she stared at the man with a raised brow. "You must let me help you, its for your own good."
Cosette Merryweather
Unyielding Optimism

Character sheet

Postby Malia on October 6th, 2009, 7:49 pm

During her various strolls through Syliras, Malia had come across the small, odd shop called ‘Undeniable Interests’ a few times already. If asked she wouldn’t have been able to tell why she had chosen just that day to enter and browse through it’s wares. Perhaps the thought had come to her while watching the sun rise over the rooftops, perhaps she had had a vision during the long hours of night. Her memory of time spent alone was a bit blurred.
The first thing she noticed when entering was the loud and obtrusive voice of a girl. Not really a pleasant first impression.

She had just decided to inspect the shelves – cobwebs and dust, whatever, nothing could be as old as herself – and leave shortly after when she caught sight of the girl’s eyes. Not a hint of warmth in them, no life at all. Of course Malia knew what that meant: Nuit! Obviously another Nuit had chosen Syliras as the residence of their existence.

While walking past the girl and the apparent shop owner to let them find some sort of agreement and all the time while looking at the shelves and exposed objects there was only one question hammering inside her mind: What should she do? And why had someone turned such an innocent being as a girl into a Nuit? Unforgivable sins were happening!

No, she couldn’t even think about contacting the girl in her current state of mind. Not at all. Perhaps the girl would recognize what Malia was herself?

And so the young woman, dressed in a purple and yellow dress and grey cloak, with pale skin and black falling down her back continued inspecting the shop’s wares and listening to the discussion.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Nickorius on October 9th, 2009, 5:34 pm

Cosette Merryweather

Dominic kept a firm hold on the broom as the young, strikingly pale girl went on with her rant about cleanliness. His old weathered hands were quite strong and he was not planning on letting the girl put all of his things out of place. He was starting to get just a little irritated, but he maintained his cool, "I'm sorry miss, but I just can't let you do that. I've lived this long, I think I know what's best for my health. And ruining shop is not! Now, let's try to find you that book."

He stroked his whiskered chin for a moment, "Hmmm, moving faster... I suppose you were hoping of doing that through magical means. That would be Flux."

He began searching through a pile of books near the back of the room. As he looked, he warned Cosette, "Flux is quite dangerous, you know? One of the hardest disciplines to use without hurting yourself..."

He pulled out a black, leather bound book, a look of triumph on his face. "Ah ha! I knew it was in here." He smiled and turned over the book to show her the cover. It read: 'Flux: The Magic of the Monks.'

"Copied it myself." He said, "I'll give it to ya for 30 Mizas."
Nickorius
Harvester of Souls

Words: 13932
Joined roleplay: September 8th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Office

Postby Cosette Merryweather on October 9th, 2009, 6:44 pm

"Ruining my shop," she corrected him, even going as far as to punctuate each syllable with a raised finger while she enunciated the words as clearly as she could. "I haven't even agreed to buying the-" and there he went, ignoring her as he busied himself with finding that tome.

This man was impossible to deal with. She was only trying to help him and she genuinely believed that his shop was a public hazard that needed to be cleaned from corner to corner if not burned down in its entirety - as hard as she tried to push that thought away from her mind.

'But then again he must be as senile as he looks if he-' Cosette caught herself before she followed that train of thought further. There was no use in cursing the man, it wasn't his fault he was old...

"Flux...but I..."

Cosette looked at the man with a slack-jawed expression on her face even as he presented - or more like flaunted - the book she wanted from him. It was infuriating not to be taken seriously and the fact that she had even tried to go out of her way to help him only helped fuel the fire. "No, I will not be talked to like a child." the girl slammed the but of her broom on the floor and picked up her bucket. "I just wanted to help you but it seems like you cant even listen to reason. I hope you enjoy the rest of your life under all that filth sir, because I won't be surprised when I find out that you'd die buried in it." without even waiting for a response the girl turned around and marched herself outside the old man's store feeling positively vexed. Shortly after returning the bucket to its owner Cosette walked down an adjacent avenue not too far from the old man's bookshop and once she was somewhere relatively secluded she stomped a foot on the ground, once, twice and then she just collapsed on the sidewalk, her face buried in her hands as she tried to weep.
Cosette Merryweather
Unyielding Optimism

Character sheet

Postby Malia on October 11th, 2009, 1:07 pm

Trembling with both excitement and confusion Malia listened to the girl’s and the owner’s words. She sought information on Flux? Malia hadn’t heard about that proficiency at all, but her interest grew. What did an undead girl want to achieve by moving faster? Did she want power? But power was useless in a world where every foreign race, every beast out in the wilderness could slit your throat, steal your ichor with ease. People always talked about gaining power to protect themselves, but in truth it meant nothing. A single person couldn’t get powerful enough to defeat all existing dangers in the world.

Malia had recognized that a long time ago. But what did the girl think of the world? The most important question remained unanswered.

Suddenly the girl yelled a few words and dashed out. Malia, drawn by curiosity and true concern, although she would never admit it if asked, followed behind.

To be continued here.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Nero Czan on December 3rd, 2009, 12:55 am

15th of Winter, 509 AV.

Nero casually walked into the store, looking around at the piles upon piles of trinkets. Ah. So this is where that boy said I could find that book then? It better be, It cost me half a gold one to find that out. Looks like a mess though... He walked up to the counter and rapped on it with his knuckles. "Hello..? Anyone home? I heard I could get a good read about Flux from this place. Heeeellloooo?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Image
Nero Czan
"Lead by Example, Protect by Force."

Words: 121734
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Voreasos Alisier on December 3rd, 2009, 7:37 am

Winter 1 509

Vor just smiled as he came into the store, it was small yet the scent had a linger of the past. He had been in here a few times yet never brought anything as he moved finding the shop owner.

"Hello....I was wondering if I could get a job here..." He asked after finding the old human, a bit unsure of himself as he never asked for a job in a bookstore before yet he had to earn income to pay off his plans and goals.

He would wait for a reply even talk more if things were going good, he could not really work in the mines due to his frame, nor be a guard due to his race and he knew that was just a death wish. All in all a bookstore had a lot of perks for one of his kind.
Mizahar- An utopia for writers

Mizahar- Where dreams are tangible
Voreasos Alisier
Player

Words: 32930
Joined roleplay: July 19th, 2009, 6:48 am
Blog: View Blog (8)
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Next