Solo [Hunt] The First Attempt

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

[Hunt] The First Attempt

Postby Oryani on October 27th, 2013, 11:09 pm

Fall 41st, 513 AV
Outskirts of the city

The hunt had begun, and Oryani and Yetrian had plans. Though she was… ok… at a shortbow, her hunting skills were non-existent. Instead, they’d decided to take the more passive route, and forage for food. It wasn’t technically ‘hunting’, but they were doing their part. With her brother’s adequate foraging skills, and her… less than adequate foraging skills, they’d at least be able to find some things. She knew what to look for… but wasn’t very good at finding them. In fact, Yetrian was basically going to teach her his trade along the way. The deal was, next season, she’d have to teach him something in return… probably how to use her shortbow. Now that they were officially allowed to start the ‘competition’, her sibling had awoken the Chatakwe bright and early at dawn… though she was already up by then. The two had set out into the Sea, trying to avoid anyone else out for an early start.

She’d emptied out her Yvas packs and backpack, to better hold as much as possible… from what Yetrian had instructed. Their two striders frolicked in the space behind the pair, but stayed close enough to keep an eye on their riders. ”Look! Berries!” the boy called, pointing excitedly to something Oryani couldn’t see. Moving up beside her brother, she spotted the short shrub, its leaves dotted with blackberries… or what looked like them. You could never be sure with berries… and she wasn’t confident enough to tell. However, Yetrian simply knelt beside the plant and sniffed one of the things. ”Yup. Smells like a blackberry too…” He immediately began picking the ripe ones of their stems, plopping them into a small basket he’d brought for squishable things such as these. The Chatakwe joined in, kneeling, and tried to find anything that looked full and black… like it was supposed to. She didn’t know what the tiny reddish ones would do, but avoided them anyways… to be simple, she attempted to duplicate the ones Yetrian dumped into the container.

Soon enough, with both their efforts (though mostly her brother’s), they picked all that seemed possible… and had about 20 of the blackberries. Not much, but it would do. Luckily enough, they seemed to have stumbled across a patch of the stuff, and the younger Drykas quickly spotted another bush. ”Here!” he called, before repeating the task. Oryani took the other side, becoming a little more comfortable with spotting and picking the berries. While she was sure Yetrian wasn’t looking, she popped one of them into her mouth, before adding another small handful to the basket. It was slightly sour, but tasted like a blackberry should. It was tempting to take another, but she resisted that emotion, knowing it wouldn’t help in the long run if she just ate all their produce. Anyways… she’d eaten breakfast. She didn’t need any more food… just wanted it.

They made their way through another three bushes in the same manner, picking the ripe berries and leaving the unripe ones to keep growing. The basket was half full, much to Yetrian’s delight. Once they seemed to have exhausted the patch’s supplies, the pair moved on at her brother’s insistence. The pair of horses, which had been nibbling at a patch of dense grass, followed the two Drykas at a closer pace than usual. Oryani found this strange, but only found the reason for it when Khal’s long neck reached around her shoulder. He tried for a bite at the basket she was carrying, but the Chatakwe managed to move it away in time. She shoved the curious stallion’s head away, to show him that this wasn’t his food. The Strider simply snorted and slowed his pace, turning to follow some other interesting scent.

The archer attempted to keep her eyes peeled, watching the ground before them for any sign of… anything other than grass. She spotted a leafy bush once, but it didn’t seem to have any fruit or berries, and Yetrian told her it was relatively useless. She straightened, a little depressed, but another plant quickly gained her attention. It had long, tall stalks, and odd flat leaves. Though there were no flowers, her brother quickly brightened when she pointed it out. He seemed excited by their discovery… but since it didn’t seem to have anything edible, Oryani could only guess why. ”Rosemary!” he exclaimed, naming something the Chatakwe had only vaguely heard of. Taking a deep whiff of the plant, he nodded, grinning. ”Yup… rosemary has a certain smell to it. Smell. It’s not edible, but it’s got medical properties, and is used as a spice… they’ll like this. To pick it, take stalks, but not from the ground… so it can grow again.” She smelled the leaves as instructed, and was startled by its strength. Her nose was stuffed full of the scent, and it was overwhelmed by it… though it was vaguely familiar. She aided her brother in picking stems, cutting them off ¾ of the way down with her nail, as he did.

Yetrian stuffed their collected herbs into one of his Strider’s Yvas bags before glancing around the area in hope of another plant. Sadly, no others could be seen, and they left the spot to continue walking. Oryani was beginning to find this a little dreary… her life in the Watch was full of excitement, but this… little was happening. Basically nothing was happening, actually… and it was quite… boring. Find a plant, gather it, find another plant… and so on. It was tedious, and really… she wondered how her brother could stand it. However, he was the kind of person that enjoyed solitude and the like so… it made a little sense. However, this foraging business wasn’t for her… but she’d signed up for it. Another 40-something days till the hunt was over, and she would finally be able to take a break from this. Great. Just… great. She was going to get so bored she wouldn’t know what to do with herself. Sighing, she rubbed her scalp, and returned her attention to the scene around them.
Oryani
I'm still a Drykas

Words: 225246
Joined roleplay: October 1st, 2013, 11:30 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Endrykas Seasonal Challenge (1)

[Hunt] The First Attempt

Postby Oryani on October 29th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Fall 41st, 513 AV
Outskirts of the city

Oryani watched her brother pull up a particularily stubborn wild carrot, legs crossed as she sat on the dirt. His hands were wrapped around the base of the stem in a death grip, and he was attempting to pull the veggie out of the ground. She had a solution, of course, but didn’t feel like giving it until Yetrian asked for it. She didn’t know why she felt like irritating him… probably because she was bored, and needed something to do though. When the boy finally collapsed onto the ground, exhausted, the Chatakwe stood and fetched her scimitar from Khal’s Yvas. She’d brought her weapons, despite her sibling’s insistence of ‘light packing’. You never knew what would hit you in the Sea.

Moving up to the tuber, she stuck the awkwardly long blade into the ground beside the tuber, shoving through the hard dirt in a rough circle. Now that the soil had loosened, when she pulled it out of its hole, the carrot came easily, enough that she could move her arm in the same motion and fling it at Yetrian behind her. She left the younger Drykas to deal with the thing, while she moved onto the next vegetable. She repeated the process several times, marveling at how easy it was to simply stick a sword in the dirt a few times and pull out something her brother had spent so long on. She quickly gathered another five carrots this way, finishing off the patch, before handing them to the forager.

He frowned at the batch, before shaking his head. ”You shouldn’t have pulled them all out, these three aren’t fully grown.” He tapped three of the carrots with a finger, before picking them out of the bunch and throwing them away. They’d return to the rest of the cycle soon enough, eating by some rabbit or something of the like. Oryani frowned, a little irritated, but packed the three edible carrots into her pack anyways. Wordlessly, they set off again, eyes peeled for anything else vaguely edible.

Their walk was quite uneventful, with little to nothing found. Instead, Oryani gave in to the pressure and attempted to start a conversation with her sibling. ”So… what’s the weirdest thing you’ve come across in the Sea?” she asked, hoping to start up a great story. Yetrian liked to exaggerate things, and talking was his strong suit… so if she could start him doing that, she could avoid being bored… and they could still do their job. It took her brother a few moments to decide, and come up with a suitable tale, and then he began speaking. ”Well… there was this one thing, a deer… I was poking around these flowers, trying to decide if they were edible or not. I nearly ran into the deer. It looked up, from eating the flowers, and I swear it looked like it was half asleep. I thought it would bolt, but it didn’t… it just stood there. I was even able to pat it a bit… but it was too strange to be close to. I just left the patch of flowers alone… too creepy. I’d have to say that was the strangest thing. You?”

It was a disappointingly short story, but the Chatakwe still found it pretty odd. A deer that didn’t run away? What was it thinking? There were some serious problems with that. However, when her own story came around, she hesitated. What was the weirdest thing she’d come across? Yetrian went out there more often than herself, literally every day, but she’d had some strange experiences. ”Well, once… I was riding with my mentor, and we saw a group of wild horses. However, when we tried to get closer… they disappeared. We decided they ran away, since the grass was pretty tall there, but still… it was odd.” I grinned at him, enjoying these funny stories. There was probably logical explanations to both, but it was always entertaining to find something so out of the ordinary. Endrykas wasn’t a place without excitement, but enough of that became mundane… and anything even more than that became amazing.

”Huh” Yetrian grunted, thinking on this. ”Strange. So… scariest thing?” He turned to his sister and grinned. This trading of stories could turn out interesting. However, they came across a few blueberry bushes, so Oryani’s beginning was halted by their work. ”Pick the big blue ones” her brother instructed, and she nodded, doing just that. It was similar to picking blackberries, and mostly mindless, so she began her story while they knelt. ”Well… my mentor and I –yes, him again- were out for an evening in the Sea, I think he was testing me… but we were technically ‘tracking’ this Night Lion. The sun was setting, and we were still following its tracks… well… he was, I can’t track. We came to an area with shorter grass, and I swear… we stumbled on a full pride of lions. It was scary, I was sure we were going to die. However, another, larger, group of hunters were following them, and came across the creatures at the same time as us… together, we took down the entire pride, but barely. It was pretty scary… mostly at first, but still, the fight was frightening. I was barely able to help… so it was more me watching everyone else fight…” Oryani shrugged, dumping the last few berries into her basket.

She’d picked another few of the blue orbs, finishing the bush, when Yetrian spoke again. ”Wow. Scary. The worst I’ve had is I nearly ran into a Grass Bear… but it was chasing something, so it ignored me. I was sure I was going to die, though. It was pretty freaky.” He grinned at his sister, before standing up from his bush. They moved onto the last one, picking the few ripe berries and adding them to their basket. They didn’t have nearly as many blueberries as blackberries, but they had something, at least… ”Ouch” the Chatakwe agreed, setting off with her brother as they left to find more things to gather.
Oryani
I'm still a Drykas

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[Hunt] The First Attempt

Postby Oryani on October 30th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Fall 41st, 513 AV
Outskirts of Endrykas

Oryani mused on their stories as she walked, easily keeping pace with her brother. Despite her five-ish extra years, he was her height, and still growing. It was funny how much closer they were now, both being (mostly) adults… though Yetrian could be a little iffy on that. He wasn’t of marrying age yet, but still had his Windmarks and worked like everyone else. When they were children they’d mostly hated each other, as what ten year old would ever want to play with a five year old baby? They’d probably continue to grow closer, and as there was no hope of her ever marrying out of the pavilion… they’d probably live together for a while yet… unless one of them died, of course. That was always a possibility in the Sea.

She scanned the ground intently, looking for any difference in the unending grass. She spotted a small, moss-like plant growing on a rock, but Yetrian quickly told her it was basically useless. She wasn’t sure if that was because he actually knew what it was, and it’s properties –or lack thereof- or he simply had no clue what it did. It could be either or, since her sibling was quite a good bluffer. ”What about that one over there?” she asked, pointing to a small, leafy plant with blueish-purplish blossoms. It looked vaguely similar to the rosemary earlier, but she couldn’t quite identify it. ”Mm! Thyme! That’s very useful – another herb. You want to get just the tops of the stems, with fully bloomed flowers.” Gracefully, the Drykas leaned over and picked such a specimen from the plant. He displayed it to his sister, before kneelling and collecting a few more.

The Chatakwe found a similar plant nearby – it was always nice that things grew in groups – and began working on that one too, picking the stems as she’d been instructed. She used her nail, since the stems weren’t thick enough to warrant a knife, and it was much easier and quicker. Getting into the rhythm of the picking, she accidentally plucked something with barely blooming flowers. Pausing, she looked at the work, glanced guiltily up at her sibling, and stuffed it into the ground where it could sink into the ground. Whoops. She needed to stop picking useless things… first the carrots, and now this. Sighing irritably, she finished off the rest of the stems she could see, and stood.

Yetrian was poking at a… something… in the ground, a long stick in his hand. He was on all fours, peering at whatever was there. ”Uhhh… what are you doing?” she asked, slightly concerned for her brother’s sanity. What was so interesting down there? ”Shush. It’s a rabbit hole, with a rabbit… but it’s not finished the burrow yet… he’s trying to get away… think you can grab him?” Oryani kneeled down beside the Drykas, peering into the hole as well. Honestly, the creature seemed a little too far for her uses… and it was moving, from all the dirt that was being sprayed in their faces. ”I could shoot it…” she mused, but simply shook her head. ”It would be too deep to grab anyways. Just leave it alone… we’re here to forage, not hunt.” She dragged Yetrian up as she stood, noticing his slightly depressed expression. ”Aww-“ he began, but his sister quickly cut him off. ”No ‘awws’. It’s stupid to hunt something you can’t catch. Cmon.” She shoved him forward, following the disgruntled boy through the grasses.

As they walked, the Chatakwe’s mind wandered again, beginning to feel a little bored. She honestly wished something exciting would happen, but knew that would be stupid… most exciting things in the Sea were generally dangerous as well… She sighed, rolling her shoulders irritably. Maybe she could practice a few stretches while walking… she wasn’t incredibly flexible, and had decided she needed to fix that fact. Grabbing her right bicep, she pulled it left, feeling the painful stretch in her shoulder and upper arm. Still, she kept holding for her count to thirty, before letting it go with a wince. Every time she stretched she always pulled a muscle… but she wasn’t so sure if that was a good or bad thing. She repeated the action with her left arm, her right feeling a little looser than before.

The archer then took her right arm again and curled it behind her head, pushing down on the elbow in an attempt to make as straight and flat a line as possible. Her shoulder, however, seemed to simply be unable to move like that, so she didn’t get very far. Her left arm was in the same situation. Now that both her shoulders were in an irritable pain, she let them drop, wishing that stretching didn’t hurt so much… or was she doing it wrong? It might have been a possibility, since she was useless at that kind of thing. She wished dearly that they could simply find a tree, or stop, so she could practice with her scimitar or bow… that was more productive, in her mind. However, that didn’t bring food to Endrykas, and since that was practically every Drykas’ job right now… there was little they could do about it. Maybe during a short lunch or water break. Yetrian would have to stop for water, but she didn’t… her extra organ for that sort of thing meant she could go without water for days… incredibly useful in areas of the Sea with no water sources in sight.

”I’m tired… let’s stop for water” her brother groaned, and the Chatakwe nearly crowed in delight. Yes! Her hopes had come true… they could take a break from this endless plodding. The younger Drykas pulled his water skin out of his pack and sat hard on the ground, a yawn touching his lips. Oryani watched him take large, heavy sips for a moment, but quickly turned around to find Khal and her scimitar.
Oryani
I'm still a Drykas

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[Hunt] The First Attempt

Postby Oryani on December 29th, 2013, 10:30 pm

Fall 41st, 513 AV
Outskirts of Endrykas

Once her scimitar was in hand, Oryani felt much better... she could actually get some useful practice done. Okay, foraging was useful, and an excellent way to get food. But in her mind... it was so boring. You couldn't even ride, because you would keep having to get on your horse, off your horse, on your horse... and so on. Yetrian had explained that earlier, much to her irritation. She liked riding Khal. Walking... less so.

She shifted the weapon's weight around in her hand, trying to remember what she did with it. She steadied her stance, bending her knees slightly and keeping her left arm out front. She raised the blade, then swung down at the air from an angle, twisting her upper body as she did so. It made a satisfying 'swish' noise, and she wondered vaguely what it would do to flesh... she hadn't really hit anything with this.... yet. If all went well, it would be her secondary weapon. She needed decent skill in this to move up in ranks... though her other skills were nearly there. Sighing, she returned to the starting position and repeated the move, though was careful not to swing too far as to hit herself, or pull a muscle.

After about ten strokes in that direction (she'd forgotten to count) the Chatakwe started from her right shoulder. Keeping the blade a little above that, she came down from that side in a backhand slash. She’d decided that, once she’d perfected the two stokes, she’d try using them in combination. With the slash she turned at the waist from the other direction, using the power of her entire upper body in the swing. She needed to practise fast and hard swings… the faster the better, and the harder the better. She didn’t want to pick between one or the other, as alone… they both had disadvantages.

Her arm was feeling well stretched when her brother informed her that they would keep moving. More foraging… she’d been starting to enjoy this. Grumbling to herself, she retied the sword to Khal’s back and glanced around. They were deep enough in the grass that she couldn’t see the city anymore. She tried to push herself up onto her Strider’s back for a better look, but slid off. Finally, she decided on a less obvious way of looking and focused on the webs around them.

She instantly spotted the points of light and smiled, seeing them trail thickly every which way… wherever someone had connected something, or laid a barrier. She didn’t go too deeply into the strands, instead staring around to find where they were the most dense. There… to her right. There were tons of them heading in one general direction. She nodded, craning her neck to see if she could just spot something, maybe a little bit of smoke… but nothing. It was a decently warm day, and no one was going to bother making any fires for anything but cooking… and smoke was hard to see in daylight, if it wasn’t that dense. Sighing to herself once again, she set off to follow her brother.
Oryani
I'm still a Drykas

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

[Hunt] The First Attempt

Postby Translucent on January 1st, 2014, 5:12 am

Congratulations On Your Hard Work!

Oryani:
XP:+1 foraging, +4 observation, +1 weapon:Scimitar
Lores: Blackberries: A little sour, Rosemary: Good for Spices and Medicinal properties,

Notes:In a couple of sentences you switched to first person, using “I looked at him” rather than “She looked at him” It was only in one or two places but something to remember to watch for.

I liked this thread, one thing that you might note next time you write a Drykas foraging thread is Drykas are about sustainability. You didn’t write anything NOT Drykas or anything, I just love that about the Drykas folk and love to see it reflected. I.E. they don’t pick all ripe fruit, or tubers, or other things. They pick a lot, but they leave some for regrowth. Again, you did’t write that Oryani didn’t just throwing ideas out for future foraging threads :D.

As always PM me if you have issues.

Translucent
To be Translucent is to be Vulnerable.

Words: 187106
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2013, 12:59 am
Race: Staff account